January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Congrats, Boston! Thanks for sharing your story.

I've got my 38 week appointment today. Should be finding out if I'm dilated at all. I'm so impatient to meet my little guy - I'm really hoping that things are moving along down there!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I am lurking from I&T, and I have to say congratulations, Boston, even though I don't know you!  I loved reading that story SO much.  I particularly liked the part about how you were mad that you didn't have a good lunch!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Boston.  That's a great birth story. Man are you lucky with the timing of everything! Enjoy your time with baby Abigail!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc4321. Show jc4321's posts

Congrats, Boston! What a fantastic story with a great ending!

Summer - can't wait to hear about the baby! My ultrasound is next week and I'm getting excited to find out the gender.

Good luck to everyone on the home stretch!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Congrats, Boston!!!  And enjoy your little girl! 

Good thoughts to everyone going for ultrasounds!  I love taking those pictures home! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

It's a girl!

Didn't come without a challenge- her legs were crossed at first, but then the tech was able to point out all the girl parts, and the dr. confirmed it.

However, the joy is mixed with worry, as her heart showed a possible defect. Both myself and DH's sister were born with heart defects, and it gave us a 3-5% of our child having something too. Nothing is certain though, and we are going to Tufts next week for a fetal echocardiogram to get a better answer. I am a nervous wreck and feel sick to my stomach...I know worrying isn't good either, but I can't help it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations on your baby girl, Summer.  Hopefully you get the answers you need next week at Tufts. I don't think anyone would blame you for worrying but at least you know that you'll get great care around here.  Also, you've survived all these years with your heart defect, I'm sure your LO will be just as strong as her mama.

Good luck in the final weeks, Pitt.

Arcain, I love the "un-shower" that should be a lot of fun.  And I would have been right next to you checking the score of the Pats game.  Actually my wedding rehearsal dinner was during the Bruins game 7 loss in 2010 and I spent most of the night in the bar watching the game with all of the guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Summer, congrats on your little girl. Good luck with the fetal echocardiogram.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations Boston!  What a crazy story!  Enjoy every minute and if you ever have quesitons, we're here for you.  (P.S. I love when people share names!)

Best wishes to you and your LO, summer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc4321. Show jc4321's posts

Congrats, Summer. Maybe thinking that you have a 95-97% chance of everything being fine is a more optimistic way of looking at things. Either way, best wishes at Tufts next week.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Oh my gosh, congrats bostongrl!  I'm totally teared up from your story.  Also TOTALLY JEALOUS (who's with me??).  I'm sure it was probably scary for you and painful, but such a quick labor and easy deliver!  Very happy for you all.  Love the name, too - it's my first cousin's name, otherwise we might have considered it for DD.

Luv and Winter09 - also counting the days until the first tri is over. 

Summer - congrats on your girl!  I'm so sorry about the worry... but I'm assuming you and SIL are both healthy adults, so hopefully that gives you comfort.  They can correct so much now... my good friend's baby was born with a hole in his heart, heart surgery at 3 months, and is now a happy, chubby, thriving 9 month old.  It's amazing what they can do!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Just got back from our 12 week u/s. Everything looks perfect and it took an hour to get any neck measurement because the baby was moving around like crazy! It kept reaching for its legs and going into little funny positions. We have a picture and it shows its little legs crossed and its little bum, so cute!

Summer, hopefully everything turns out normal. I was born with a heart defect that was fixed by full blown open heart surgery when I was 4 months old and have had no complications since. We have a fetal echocardiogram at 24 weeks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Summer, congrats on your girl! I agree with everyone else that 95-97% odds are very encouraging and even if there is some sort of problem, you are in the best hands.

Liz, congrats on a great u/s as well!

I think I'm only about 5 weeks now and beginning to feel some symptoms. I'm kind of nervous because next week starts the busiest 4 weeks of the year at work and I'll be working overtime, including weekends. Lately I've been getting so tired in the early afternoon that I can barely function and this morning and last night I began feeling some queasiness and gagging that I'm not sure is morning sickness or just caused by being so tired. I think my office must be one of the worst places for women in their first trimester - there is no privacy anywhere! All the offices and conference rooms have windows and/or no doors plus there are no single bathrooms at all. I feel like if I could just rest for ten minutes at lunch I would feel so much better, but unless I do it on a park bench outside, it's not happening (other people have gotten in big trouble for doing it). Anyone have tips or tricks for dealing with this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Congratulations, Boston!! Welcome, Abigail! Your story brought tears to my eyes, too...wow! I'm with poppy - all in all, while I'm sure it was crazy and traumatic, a speedy birth sounds like the best possible way. Can I ask you a couple of nitty-gritty/gory questions? Did you have time for an episiotomy? (sounds like not!) I have big-time fears related to episiotomies and tearing. How bad was the pain? I can't believe you only pushed twice...that's just incredible. Sounds like you and DH are blissfully enjoying your new LO...so happy for you.

Summer, congrats on your little girl! And I'm so sorry about the worrying news. I don't blame you one bit for fretting - I would be too - but like others have said, it sounds like chances of anything being wrong are slim, and even if there is something, you're in the best place in the world for care.

liz, congrats on your great u/s! So exciting. Sounds like you've got a mover and shaker in there!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Thank you to all of you wonderful ladies for your support and kind words. The Dr. thinks she saw a VSD (ventricular septal defect- what I was born with), but noted that it is possible to diagnose it when using normal u/s technology, whereas with the fetal ECG it may show that nothing is actually wrong. In either case, Tuesday will give us more information on that. Thanks again for all the congrats and support.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Just got back from my doc and she says I'm already 3.5 cm dilated and cervix is very soft! I am giddy at the news, since it means we are that much closer to meeting our little man. Of course, I could walk around like this for weeks, but my doc says she thinks that I will go before my due date at this point. Whoo hoo!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats on a good ultrasound, Liz!

Cici - That afternoon exhaustion is the worst. Do you drive to work?  I've actually gone out to my car in the parking garage and napped for 30 minutes, cell phone alarm set.  Could you do that?  Do you have "sick room" at work?  Where do women go to breastfeed?

Very exciting, Pitt!  Are you feeling good?  Go for a pedicure!  I went into labor the night I had mine (of course, being 41.5 weeks might also have had something to do with it...)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Exciting news on the pregnancy boards!  Congrats everyone and welcome baby Abigail!  What a good girl to come to quickly and efficiently.

Tangerine - I was unmedicated and tore and tooootally didn't even notice it - I wouldn't worry about episiotomies and tearing!  It all happens so fast you don't even realize it's happening.  (I mean that all happens when the baby's just about to come out, so you're too excited to notice!)

Summer, good luck with your baby girl - like someone just said (Poppy? - I can't go back a screen!) - they can do wonders with baby hearts these days! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Thank you everyone for the congrats... I am seriously in heaven this week just snuggling and staring at our little girl.

Tang... I too was petrified of the whole episiotomy/tearing situation leading up to delivery.  It seriously scared me more than the labor.  I started doing perineal massage (basically stretching that whole area) about 4 weeks ago and am happy to say that there was minimal damage to the area.  There is certainly swelling and I had the general sensation of a bad bruise for a few days, but nothing like what I imagined.  There was no time or need for an episiotomy, however my DH was under strict orders that I did not want one under any foreseeable circumstance and that if necessary, I'd rather a tear than a cut since they are suppose to heal quicker with less pain.  (Since it is a surgical procedure, they need to ask your permission unless it is a life and death situation)  My doctor also knew that, but DH was my immediate defense in case it had not been my doctor on call that night.  One of my friends had told me going in that I wanted to inform my nurse that I'd rather tear so that she would also help advocate to the doctor in case the scenario arose. 

In the end I am so lucky and so grateful that I don't have a ton of pain.  The discomfort is mostly gone, though I still need to be aware of emptying my bladder every hour or so pre-emptively as I don't have as much control as I should.  I am not leaking urine all the time or anything like that, but my sister got me laughing the other night and I definitely felt a little escape.  And when I need to go, I NEED to go... not as much warning as there use to be.  I have been trying to remember to do kegels to get the muscles back in shape and know that to some extent it just takes a little time for everything down there to get back to normal.  Even without episiotomy/tearing, there is still an element of trauma that needs to be recovered from. 

If you want to feel like you are more informed and have an idea of what you can actually do ... I highly suggest reading "Ever Since I Had My Baby".  Part of it is sort of scary because it is all about everything that can go wrong, but there is a large element of the book that just is about the facts and statistics about what works and what doesn't and how you can advocate for yourself.  Reading it did not totally alleviate my fears but made me feel like I had armed myself (and DH) with information and was taking all the available actions that I could. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Tang - I didn't have an episiotomy, but the OB had to make a tiny cut in order to get DD out.  The OB said she wouldn't even consider it an episiotomy because it was a little 1/4 inch nick.  Basically, baby's head had been in position and ready to go for a couple hours, but after pushing for 45 minutes and lots of massaging, nothing was happening. After she made the nick, the baby came right out.  I did have a few stitches and was freaked out, but I don't think it caused much more pain than someone who didn't tear at all.  Things are pretty crazy after delivering, but in my experience things were constantly changing and healing so quickly.  Just get through that first week or two and you will be so much better!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Boston - the peeing gets better over time, I assure you.  Oh how fun those few weeks were when you'd have to race to the bathroom!  (By the way, I don't think you're supposed to do kegels until 6 weeks post partum...I don't know if anyone else's OB/midwife said the same...let things heal a bit first!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Wow, Boston, congrats!!  that was an incredible story- so much for all those who say the first child takes a long time. Your daughter was in a hurry!  Love the name as well, Abigail is on our short list (we've got 2-3 girl names but really just one boy name selected).  Enjoy every minute with her!

Rhm- I remember that you and Lil got BFPs about the same time but I didn't realize you were having twins. Congrats, that's wonderful! Besides siblings, some friends who knew we did IVF also know we used a donor egg so I feel like it makes sense for us to tell family as well (don't want them to find out inadvertently and think we were keeping it secret when we're not).

Lil, I think I understand what you mean about some reluctance to start the discussion with your DD. Everything I've heard says it just needs to be part of the child's story from the start but that might be easier said than done.  I'm not worried about how the rest of the family will react to our donor news, though at this point we'll wait until after he/she is born. Overall, both families are so excited about this baby that I can't imagine learning we used a donor egg will change anything. I just want to make sure we get the info to family members who don't know before too much time goes by and they hear it from someone else. I'm still on schedule for a c-section on the 19th, nothing opened up this week so unless my LO decides he/she wants out before then, looks like I've got another week to go.

Thanks Luv for your comments on this- I love hearing from those with experience as I know so few people that have used donor eggs. Love hearing positive stories!

Good luck Summer, it must be scary to hear they might see something but 2 thoughts on that- they sometimes see things that turn out to be absolutely nothing (it's like the tests are too sensitive) and, if it does turn out to be something, the medical care in this area is amazing and you and your baby will be well taken care of.

Pitt, good luck, sounds like it could be any time now!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Summer -- Congrats on your little girl. I second what everyone said: I can totally understand your worry, but it sounds like everything will turn out fine. Here's hoping you get confirmation of that soon!

Pitt -- Good luck! Sounds like you're almost ready to go!

I had another u/s yesterday and we actually saw the LO's eyes open! No idea what he was looking at (perhaps his foot, which was right in front of his face as it has been for the last 2 ultrasounds :-)) but it was so cool to see him so alert!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

for those interested in painting, i got a "environmental hotline" number today from the OB's office. 800-322-5014.  It says on the sheet no painting, but you can call for info and the OB's office said that they send out literature to read about your specific concerns.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Anyone know of any moms-to-be groups in the Arlington, Belmont, Cambridge area??