January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Hope everyone's enjoying the long weekend! We had our un-shower yesterday and it was wonderful! Even the guys seemed to have fun and we had about a dozen little helpers to open our gifts (lots of kids in our families!). People were super generous and I think we got all the big ticket items on our registry. Unexpected side effect of that, though, is that we got almost no clothes! I want to make sure we have everything we need for the first couple months but I'm unsure how much to buy and in what sizes. All I know is to expect to change his outfits multiple times per day! LO is measuring a little small according to our last u/s (30th percentile) so I'm vaguely guessing he'll be in newborn sizes for a bit, but I really have no idea, and I have 7 weeks to go! Any good guidelines?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

If you're buying stuff yourself just buy 0-3 month stuff.  My DD was little and she fit in newborn stuff when she was born but it wasn't a big deal that the 0-3 looked big on her.  It saved money to buy a size up and wear it from when it was a little baggy until it was too tight/short. Don't go crazy and buy too much.  People will DEFINITELY get you outfits and things when the baby is born.  Get some onesies and socks and an extra hat since it's winter.

If you're planning on nursing get some nipple cream for yourself (lansinoh) so you don't have to go out and get some later when the free sample the hospital gives you runs out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Hello Ladies, 

I'm doing a bit of clean up over the long weekend and came across two books that are just too good for the Good Will bin. Both were recommended to me here on the boards when I was pregnant, and I'd like to pass them on if I can. 

Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for Dads
    (awesome book, DH and I would read it and just howl with laughter - and so much turned out to be true!)

Baby 411, 4th Edition:
    (everything you need to know, very easy to find information and very down to earth advice).

If any of you want these, drop me an email at xxx and send me your name and address and I will mail them to you. I'll remove my address once someone has responded. 

Thanks!

Just want to pass the good karma on for the boards, congrats to you all!

ETA: The books have been claimed! Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Arcain, IMHO, I would get some NB size things.  The 0-3m swam on my average size DS and slightly small DD for several weeks to the point where I worried about them getting tangled and also the gaping making them cold since they didn't fit snugly. Since they go through like 3 or so changes a day, if you don't want to do laundry every single day, I would have like maybe 6-8 of those one-piece footy deals that they can wear awake or sleeping in NB size.  The fleece ones are super great for the cold months, but you can also layer the cotton or terri-cloth onces with onesies for warmth.  Try Target, BRU, TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc.  Walmart carries a Carter's Line "Child of Mine" and Target carries a Carter's Line but I am blanking on the name. Just wash a few, save tags on the rest and at least you will have them if you need them, otherwise you can take them back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Boston-Little late to post this but congrats on your healthy baby girl.  I loved reading your birth story. It brought me back to 9 months ago where I had a similar experience. The MW on call told me to drink water because I "couldn't possibly have contractions 4 min apart after only being in labor for a few hours". Well, she was wrong, and I was almost 9 cent. when I got to the hospital.  That was the car ride from hell I tell you and also the longest trip ever up to L&D.  
    Hope you are enjoying the first few weeks with your little bundle. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

So I definitely have a feisty LO on my hands.  Only 19 w 3 d and I got four strong kicks yesterday that I could feel on the outside. Poor DH I called him each time and then it wouldn't happen again.  Other than that I'm feeling lots of movement on the inside that still feel like a bubble bursting. I'm excited for it to become more consistent but for now I'm enjoying my random interruptions.

I hope everyone else is doing well and able to enjoy a long weekend.  Unfortunately my work doesn't recognize today as a holiday :(

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

So exciting, clc! I am so jealous. I am 13 weeks this upcoming Friday and my first trimester is cccrrraaaaawwwwllllliiiinnggggg....

Also, just found out today that one of my favorite friends ever is pregnant. I am SO excited!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Arcain,
    For clothing, I have found that a few of the two piece NB outfits were awesome as well as some zip-up (snaps in the middle of the night are just so inconvenient) one piece sleepers.  I put some 0-3 pants on DD yesterday because she had gotten her pants dirty but not her shirt and they were absolutely swimming on her.  She is tall and is going to grow out of the sleeepers length-wise pretty quickly, but the 2 piece outfits will fit perfectly for a while.  I had also brought a few NB size kimono-style t-shirts to the hospital and that was awesome because I could put a cute pink shirt on her and the nurses were still able to see her cord stump and do what they needed to do. 

And for others, this was the list of things I found absolutely essential in the hospital:
    - My own PJs ... hospital johnnies s*ck (I wore yoga pants and a nursing tank/cardigan sweater for the most part)
    - sleep bras ... boy do your n*pples get sore in the beginning!  I needed a bra on to shield them from rubbing against my shirt.  I spent the evenings/nights with just my bra and the cardigan sweater on.  Once there were no visitors, the nursing tank was just getting in the way
    - A warm, cute blanket for LO.  The hospital receiving blankets were very stiff and seemed to be bothering DD's skin.  We had a Carter's velour blanket http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3975827 that was perfect.  DD spent most of her first day with just a diaper and wrapped up in this blanket.  As a bonus it was super cute for pictures. The blanket also helped to keep me warm when my shirt was pulled up for nursing.

Other things that we used that aren't necessarily essentials ... Our own t-shirt (for the cute factor, and seemed less harsh on her skin) and NB size diapers.  The hospital stocks size 1 diapers, and we were having to roll the top several times to accomodate the cord stump.  A friend had brough NB diapers as a gift, so I started using those and stashed the hospital size 1's to go home for when she grows into them. 

Oh... and a hair dryer.  The first shower after delivery was absolutely awesome.  Between the overall gross feeling and vomit in my hair, it was definitely needed, but wouldn't have been complete without dry hair afterwards.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Today is our appointment for the fetal echocardiogram...I am sooo anxious and I know the day is just going to drag on.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Summer good luck today!

Do any of you girls work out?  I have been feeling really fat and gross so I started going to the gym again.  I have been walking 2 miles and watching my heart rate.  I am right about 130-135 bpm.  I want to start to lifting some light weighs again. And am curious if anyone else lifts?  Also does anyone do sit ups? I have a call into my doctor to make sure this is ok.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    Summer good luck today! Do any of you girls work out?  I have been feeling really fat and gross so I started going to the gym again.  I have been walking 2 miles and watching my heart rate.  I am right about 130-135 bpm.  I want to start to lifting some light weighs again. And am curious if anyone else lifts?  Also does anyone do sit ups? I have a call into my doctor to make sure this is ok.
    Posted by pugslove

I do very limited time on the treadmill (like 15 minutes at a time) just a couple times a week. I also take a prenatal yoga class once a week, and walk the dog every day at least 10 minutes. I get winded really easily and have a fast heartrate to begin with, so I can't overdo it. Tomorrow I'll see my cardiologist to see how my own ticker is doingWink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think how much exercise is safe during pregnancy depends largely on your fitness level, cardiovascular health, blood pressure, and age when you get pregnant.  I know you said you'd be asking your doc, but I think that's the only source that's truly safe.

I know women who are instructed to do no unnecessary exertion and others who have been given the green light to strap on a few jog bras at a time and keep up their running routine.  It varies so much from woman to woman based on her individual health needs it's impossible to guess what's OK for you based on what others have done or have been told is safe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Good luck today, summer!

I know most of you are much further along than me and probably already past this, but when you started m/s, did it stay about the same level or did it get progressively worse (and then hopefully better)? I have been feeling really queasy for about a week and then vomited for the first time this morning. I'm really hoping it doesn't get much worse than this because I'd have to tell my boss and she's kind of crazy so I am hoping to avoid that for as long as possible.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

This Saturday we welcomed little Brendan to our family! He was 7 lbs 15 oz. I dcelivered at Winchester Hospital, and they were teriffic.

My water broke at 1 am on Saturday morning, but I wasn't having regular contractions and they weren't very strong/long, so we didn't go in to the hospital until about 2:15 am. When we got there, they put me on the monitor for a few hours to watch the contractions, but because they were still pretty irregular, at around 3:30 I got a pitocin drip.

Once the pit got started, things moved along pretty quickly. By 7 am I was over 5 cm. I hadn't decided for sure if I wanted an epidural, so I held off as long as I could. Then around 9:30 am the contractions started getting much more intense, so I decided maybe it was time to spring for an epi. Well, the nurse checked me, and said that actually, we were minutes away from needing to push! So, I toughed it out, and after pushing for about 30 minutes, our little boy was born.

Those first few minutes were scary since the little guy came out a bit blue and they needed to suction him etc. Also, I needed several stitches for a small tear. So, I didn't get to hold Brendan for about 5 or 10 minutes, which felt like forever.

Now the little one is here he's completely fine and starting to nurse like a champ. BFing took a while to get started - mostly because he started to fall asleep after a few sucks, or he'd latch on weakly - but last night he was feeding about every 1.5 to 2 hours, so I'd say he's getting the hang of it now. I'm glad he's finally eating enough, but man, are my nipples tender now!

Anyway, just wanted to share our story with you ladies. Good luck to everyone who is on deck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome Brendan to the world and congrats to the Pittftw family! Great news he's already BFing well.  Thanks for sharing your amazing story!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Congrats Pitt!  Im glad to hear everything went so well and everyone is doing well too!  Enjoy Brendan!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Congrats Pitt!! So glad to hear that all went smoothly and little Brendan is doing so well.  Enjoy!

Thanks Boston for the info on what you found most helpful to have at the hospital. I've been wondering about what to bring, especially as I'll be there longer because of the cesarean, so I appreciate the ideas.

Cici, I found m/s varied, some days and weeks were worse than others but it wasn't consistent. If your boss is difficult, maybe you can hold off on telling her. Seems like everyone has a cold or something this time of year so maybe you can just say that you haven't been feeling well without revealing the real reason.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

pitt- congratulations!! glad to hear that bfing is going well!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, Pitt.  Love the name Brendan! Enjoy!

Pugs - I would consult with your doctor regarding exercising.  I had a difficult first tri and was told that I wasn't allowed to exercise.  For several weeks I was actually put on "pelvic rest" and allowed to go to and from work and that was about it.  Those restrictions have been lifted, thank god, but I was still told to keep my exercise to low impact.  The NP suggested walking, swimming and prenatal yoga would be good choices for me. I actually got a prenatal yoga DVD from DH for Christmas that I'm hoping to try soon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Pugs, I just wandered over from I&T, but definitely check with your OB.  I maintained my regular fitness routine during pregnancy (spinning, cardio machines, lifting, and -- yes -- sit-ups) but I'd been working out regularly for almost a year prior to getting pregnant and have been running/working-out since high school. 

I used the 140bpm as a guideline (I wore a heart-rate monitor as it's more accurate than the hand-sensors on the machines) and I was already working out with a trainer who was certified in pre-natal fitness, so he was a great resourse as to what was OK to do and what wasn't.  But I always used how I felt as my guide.  One thing he always told me was to be very careful with the yoga/stretching b/c your ligaments are looser and you could over-do it and wind up with a joint injury. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

GC - I am waiting for my OB to call me back and I also worked out with a trainer, lifting weights, and cardio but I sis fall out of it 6 months ago.  The only thing that I have been doing is walking on the treadmill until I get the ok from the doc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats Pitt on your baby boy!

AFM I got home a little while ago from our fetal echocardiogram. After more than 45 minutes of the cardiologist looking at our squirmy baby girl's heart, she said she could not see any problems. However, she wasn't able to get the perfect view she needed, due to the baby's position and squirming, but she did say that there appears to be pretty much no issue and that we shouldn't worry. We are going back Feb 10 for another look just to be sure, but boy do I feel relieved.

It's also very strange to see her moving around SO much in there, and I still don't feel it! Maybe once a day I'll feel a tiny little blip, but that's it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Yay, Summer!! Fantastic news!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Congrats, Boston and Pitt!
    Also, I'm so happy for you, summer.  I remember my first fetal echocardiogram with my first pregnancy.  It was a worse feeling of nervousness/nausea than what I usually get when I go for my own echos for my heart stuff. I'm so glad they could tell you some good news. 

When you start to get a bit freaked out, try what I do--remind yourself that you survived your issue, decades ago, and neonatal cardiac surgery has advanced significantly since then.  Even if your baby is born with a congenital heart defect, s/he is in the best part of the country to get the best care and will thrive!

I've been telling myself this a lot recently since on my last ultrasound they think they saw a "soft marker" of increased risk of a congenital heart defect in the fetus.  I have my 18wk u/s Thursday and double-check to see if the "soft marker" (which somehow is vague enough to be absolutely terrifying) is still there and warrants extra fetalechocardiograms than my normal 3rd trimester one.
    sigh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Cici, how far along are you again?  With both my pregnancies I started off with some intermittent nausea and eventually increased to a point where it was 23 hours a day.  With this 2nd pregnancy I ended up puking daily for a few weeks.  Then it just tapered off.
    I hope that's not what happens for you.  You'd be surprised how little people notice about the puking, at least.
    It's not like when you have a stomach bug and you will hurl no matter what you do.  You can kind of hold it in for a little while.  I teach high school and I went through a few weeks where I was vomiting in between almost every class--but I only had to run out of the room once.  The kids hardly noticed because they were preparing in groups for a big debate. Anyway, your boss might not notice that you feel as bad as you do, especially if you pretend nothing's happening (don't start shouting excuses to the rooftops--people might not notice you're under the weather if you don't draw attention to it).

Sections
Shortcuts