January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

While we are on the subject of clothing, what did you moms have for maternity clothes? So far, I have a couple pair of jeans, and about 6 shirts. I just don't know if I should spend more than I need on clothing. Also, I am going to need to go back to get some summer stuff. I don't think I need mroe than 2-3 pairs of jeans, do you all agree??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thanks ladies. Motherhood has a buy 4 get 1 free sale going now, so I think I'll get a couple shirts and bras and see what I like before buying more.

Liz - Do you have anyone in your friends/fam who have had a baby that might want to lend you maternity clothes? I bought a few things but ended up with a bigger wardrobe than pre-pregnancy with all the stuff my SIL  gave me, at least in terms of shirts. That said, I only have 1 pair of jeans (I only wear them on weekends, though), 3 pair of work pants, and I probably only wear 7 or 8 of the shirts I have. I wouldn't buy many more shirts -- no one is going to judge a pregnant woman for wearing the same thing a lot :-).

One thing to make sure you have -- a couple of pair of comfortable lounge/yoga pants. I have 1 pair of maternity and 1 pair of regular yoga pants and I live in them at home. As wonderfully comfortable as maternity clothes are, by this point I'm actually kind of annoyed by the belly panel and rush to change into comfy pants when I come home!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I do have friends who could lend me some clothes, I haven't even thought to ask them. The only thing is we are all totally different sizes. But, thanks for the suggestion. And you're right, I don't think anyone would judge a pregnant lady over what she wears!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Medford and Poppy, good points about the tanks/shirts you can pull down. I'd definitely rather not have to lift my entire shirt to nurse, so I think I'll be sticking with your suggestions :)

Liz, remind me of your due date? I totally agree that 2-3 pairs of jeans will be plenty. I spent a little more on two nice pairs that I like - flared and skinny - and that's all I have. I've found that having a couple of Old Navy tank tops for working out is nice, instead of just wearing a huge t-shirt and looking massive. Also yoga pants - just last week I finally stopped wearing my normal yoga pants and switched into my more forgiving maternity ones. Having a couple of casual dresses that you feel good in is nice, too...I've struggled with that, being cheap and not wanting to spend $$ but also getting sick of wearing nothing but jeans and shirts all the time. Hopefully maxi dresses will still be in style and readily available - those would be perfect for a summer pregnancy!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy - your post gave me a flashback to when I tried on a nursing tank with built in circular cutouts.  It was horrifying, horrifying, horrifying -- like some kind of crazy s&m nursing gear.

The only important maternity clothes are if you need to wear nice things to work.  For weekends, a couple of pairs of jeans is plenty, and I second the yoga pants!  Also, it sounds like you will still be pregnant in the summer, and I loved loved skirts.  I got a khaki maternity skirt and a denim one and wore them all the time, cankles be darned.  I also rocked the maternity tankini in the summer because swimming was the only place the cankles felt good.
    Also, if you already have stretchy tops, you can get long maternity tank tops and wear them under your existing tops.  I did this the whole time because maternity shirts never fit me right.
    I just realized on reading this that I have been wearing tank tops under all my shirts for 2 years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Speaking of clothes - I'm sure this question has been asked a million times already - when do you typically need maternity clothes? How long do those bands that hold up your regular pants work?

ETA: The only thing I seem to be growing out of right now is my bra and I'm not even 8 weeks! Are they just going to keep getting bigger or do they tend to normalize at some point? I'm not sure if I need to go buy new bras yet or if I should wait a while longer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

RE: Nursing Bras - Buy 1 or maybe 2 before baby, then wait until about 10-14 days after you've started breastfeeding, maybe even a little longer - I went up in both cup and band size, so the first few things I bought didn't work at all once my milk came in. 

I loved the Gillian & O'Malley stuff from Target, both bras and tanks. I also had a few things from Motherhood that were good for sleeping in. 

I loved nursing tanks because they kept my belly warm - especially while pumping. It can be very difficult to produce well if you are cold, and the pumping room at my work was freezing, especially in the summer when the AC made that tiny room an icebox. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I am due at the end of July, so I will definitely be on the hunt for cute summer dresses.

I completely grew out of my bras at around 12 weeks, and Poppy, I have you beat at 36F!!! I got a couple of bras at Isis, they were $50 each, a little expensive, but SO comfortable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    I am due at the end of July, so I will definitely be on the hunt for cute summer dresses. I completely grew out of my bras at around 12 weeks, and Poppy, I have you beat at 36F!!! I got a couple of bras at Isis, they were $50 each, a little expensive, but SO comfortable.
    Posted by lizinboston

OMG I thought it was a huge accomplishment that my 32B/C is getting too small!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Haha, Cici...I know :( DH loves to comment on how they are just getting bigger and bigger and bigger....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy - the wagon we got has actual seats with straps built in so it was totally safe for the LO. We recently used it at the park on one of the warm days we've had and both my daughter and niece who is 10 months loved it. My niece was completely fine, no slipping at all. Just check the different models out and pick one with seatbelts and durable wheels. They've come a long way since the metal ones we had as kids!! Perfect for the beach, playground and even walks with a toddler because they think it's fun and not as restrictive as a stroller. For nursing bras, I loved the Pea in the Pod ones at Destination Maternity. They were $38 each!! Crazy expensive but worth it. I had three of them - two light shades and one black. I nursed for a year and basically rotated my way through them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I really liked the nursing tanks from Target -- cheap and great!  I got a few underwire nursing bras that were cheap from Target and used them when DD was about a year old.  I would NOT recommend using an underwire bra at all at first (as a 36D prepregnancy and 38DD during/post pregnancy, I understand how much you want to use that underwire bra!!!!).  I wore one to a wedding when DD was 5 weeks old and from just the 6 hours of wearing it (while nursing her multiple times, since she was with me at the wedding) I got 4 clogged milk ducts. ugh, they were so painful and awful and took weeks to clear up. 

I did a mix of what previous posters said.  I splurged on 2 pricey nursing bras and then got a bunch of cheapo nursing tanks and bras to supplement. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    Speaking of clothes - I'm sure this question has been asked a million times already - when do you typically need maternity clothes? How long do those bands that hold up your regular pants work? ETA: The only thing I seem to be growing out of right now is my bra and I'm not even 8 weeks! Are they just going to keep getting bigger or do they tend to normalize at some point? I'm not sure if I need to go buy new bras yet or if I should wait a while longer.
    Posted by cicirose

I am 20w4d right now and about 60/40 in regular clothes and maternity. I can still (barely) wear the normal khakis I wear to work, but have outgrown by nice black work pants. Shirts are also split...if they are regular style shirts they aren't long enough to cover the mid-belly panel on my maternity jeans. PJs are of course still normal, too.

I've tried to go shopping for mat. clothes at least 4 separate occasions so far, and came out with 1 pair jeans, 1 pair khakis, 1 pair black pants, and about 5 shirts. I can't find anything that I like, I'm too picky to begin with....it bites!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Arcain I feel the same way about the belly panel! By 35 weeks I am kinda sick of it.  In fact, I don't know if mine have begun to wear out or what, but they now work their way UNDER my belly and cause the whole pant to sag in the crotch and butt, its very unflattering.  So I end up hiking up my maternity panel all day, which is not very attractive since you have to pull UP your shirt to do that (revealing the "secret" belly panel lol!)

IMO about the nursing- I pretty much lived in "low impact" sports bras and just pulled my shirt up to nurse.  The baby, and my arm, pretty much covered up my belly and side completely.  It was very easy, and it was very comfortable too.  On the rare rare occassion that I would go out of the house long enough to have to nurse while I'm there AND had my DD with me, I would wear one of my 2 nursing shirts and was able to discreetly nurse with those on.  I would never personally use a nursing cover because I feel they attract a lot of attention to what you are doing and look funny to me, like you are hiding the baby!  Once you get good at nursing after the first few weeks it is pretty simple to just life up your nursing shirt panel and have your baby latch right on and get to business- people just kinda think the baby is sleeping against you. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I really liked wearing a sports bra around the house, as hughkona suggests, but I struggle with wearing one out of the house.  I was definitely a leaker.  I was sooo leaky--like, the milk would squirt straight out for an inch before arcing down and landing in front of my feet, not dripping or anything, if I was just standing there with my shirt off.  So If I tried to do the pull the sports bra up thing it would press too much on my other breast and I'd essentially be milking myself and leaking all over.  With the nursing bras I was able to isolate the one breast at a time at least. 

Get a couple (2 or 3?) different types to start out with so you've got a few and then once you know what works for you get a few more.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

A recommendation for nursing bras... at first, I'd advise getting the kind that is just one layer of stretchy fabric so when you unhook it your entire bube (trying to trick BDC into letting me type this word) is exposed quickly and easily - it's tricky to get the hang of breastfeeding (for both you and baby) so you don't want extra thick stiff fabric in the way while baby's learning to latch.  I just recently, at 6 months post-partum, "upgraded" to a lined/lightly padded nursing bra from motherhood.  (I am small-bubed so I still need a shaping bra!)  My DS is a pro sucker by now, but the thick bra still gets in the way sometimes.  So I'd go with the thinnest, stretchiest one you can find at first!  Then when you and baby are good at nursing, you can upgrade to prettier or more shapely bras.  And don't forget nursing pads!!!  (I loved the cotton round ones - so easy to throw in the wash!)

Oh and someone had asked about a nursing bra vs. a regular front-close bra.  Nursing bras have the advantage here because you can do them one-handed whereas I don't think you could close a front-close bra one-handed? 

And as for maternity clothes/pants...I know I've said this here before - don't wait another second!  Maternity pants are the GREATEST THING EVER!!!  Just do yourself a favor and start wearing them now.  :)  (Although I have to admit I don't think I wore them until about 16 weeks...that's when my belly band stopped holding my pants up.) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Thank you all! Such great advice on the nursing bras. Sprout -- I'm glad you made the point about the thin, stretchy ones, and Lissa -- you definitely convinced me to avoid underwire! You'd think that 35 weeks of pregnancy would have robbed me of my pride in wearing attractive underwear, but I have to admit I turned my nose up at some of the bras I saw online, but you all have me convinced.

I heartily second Sprout's comment about getting into maternity clothes ASAP. The Be Band annoyed me and then I think I lost mine, so I started shopping for maternity stuff when I was barely 10 weeks. I got the most skeptical look from a Kohl's employee when I asked directions to maternity when I was clearly still fine in regular clothes. I didn't care, though. I was going to get my 9 months of no zippers or buttons!

Hugh - Totally on the belly panel. Mine folds down a lot, and I've definitely been nearly caught by coworkers sticking my hand up or down my shirt to fix it. And I'm just so aware of it all the time! I'm also carrying so low that the part below the panel feels tight. How are you doing with only a few weeks left? I'm miraculously not sick of being pregnant but I'm really anxious to meet my little guy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Acrain, the bella band annoyed me, as well. Good advice in starting now. I am 15 weeks (on Friday) and am still in my regular jeans, but wearing maternity tops. DH and I went out to dinner on Saturday night and I wore a pair of GAP maternity jeans and a maternity top and was comfortable ALL night. At the end of the day/night my jeans get tighter and tighter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

About bras - when I complained that my b00bs were getting bigger and I needed to buy new bras, a friend suggested buying nursing bras while still pregnant as a way to save $$. I didn't do this - honestly, it didn't make much sense to me since I didn't know how much more the gals would grow. And I didn't really want to spend 6-7 months of pregnancy rocking what generally seem to be unattractive, non-underwire bras (Arcain, I'm with you! I'll break down and wear 'em when I have to, but not before!). But just a thought for anyone who feels that might be useful.

Do your b00bs usually get - and stay - even bigger when your milk comes in? I've been a B my whole life, and the Ds that I'm currently rocking are crazy enough. I'm wondering if I should be prepared to bust into DD territory. Also - did anyone else carry really high for most of their pregnancy, and if so, did you drop near the end? I'm short-waisted to boot, so I feel like I literally have a basketball tucked under my chest, which is kind of uncomfortable sometimes. I'd imagine my uterus will drop somewhat, but maybe not? (I'm 30 weeks).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Tang, it probably varies person to person.  My personal experience was that they got ridiculously enormous right when the milk first came in, but that didn't last long, maybe a day or two.
    After that they probably went back to the pregnancy size or even a little smaller in my case.  But for the first several months of major bf-ing, they would get bigger before feedings/pumpings.  That is why I liked the stretchy bras -- didn't feel so uncomfortable when they got full.
    Now (my LO is 18 months) I am still bf-ing twice a day (wake up and bedtime) but they are back to their normal pre-pregnancy size.  Maybe even a little smaller.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I really hope you don't mind my lurking.  So many topics I don't know where to begin!

Bras - I agree with Sprout about starting out with the easy stretchy nursing bras.  My favorite was a completely unattractive sleep bra from Target.  When I went back to work, I got a couple of thicker bras at Target but I never really liked them.

B00bs - I went from B to C while pregnant.  At times during the first months, I was probably a D, but it would fluctuate throughout the day so C bras still fit - plus they were stretchy comfy nursing bras.  After a while, I went back to B... small B... WTH?

Maternity clothes - I wore a bella band until 23 weeks and then finally switched to maternity pants.  Mostly because I tend to make do and figured I wouldn't spend money until I needed to.  That band was driving me nuts; get yourself into maternity pants!!  I liked full panel the best.  I had a pair of under the belly from Old Navy that I also liked... But towards the end, I'd be walking back from lunch with my hands full and my tummy starting to poke out from under my shirt.  Not cool!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

About nursing in the hospital - I do agree that there is no way to be discreet during those early days.  You literally have no idea how to hold this baby while feeding it with your breast.  My mom and sister (with whom I am not at ALL close), got a nice view of a topless Fram.  (And even later, at home, MIL saw plenty.)
    However, DD was born around 4 pm on a Wednesday.  She nursed right away and overnight, but basically slept all day Thursday, so I was not BFing all day.  The nurses said that was pretty normal.  Anyway, it was a Thursday afternoon so everyone was at work, but that was my experience that I was not BFing all day the next day... I did need time to shower and rest and go to a BF class, but was fine with having visitors after work.

Sections
Shortcuts