January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Another brick and mortar recommendation--Isis. If you are having a shower with people local to this area, it's a great option. (Most of my mom friends love an excuse to go in!) We registered there for DS#1 and because I was a member, everyone who bought off my registry also received the 10% member discount.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The last minute shopper issue changes my mind about the all-Amazon registry.  I can be one of those "omg, it's THIS weekend?!" people, too!  (Actually, I am one of those people right now, but I'm making something and have to get on it, pronto.  The party is next weekend!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I wouldn't call 25-30 a small shower.  We had about 30 and pretty much received everything we needed.  I hope you have the same luck!  We did have to buy a few odds and ends afterwards, but I think you could have 100 people and still do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

True, Fram...its not small for a baby shower. We aren't registering for a TON either.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc4321. Show jc4321's posts

Love all the recommendations about registering. I've been playing online with a 'private' Amazon.com registry, more so that I can file things I think I need and to show my DH. I'm debating doing Amazon and BRU - as much as I hate to do BRU because of the prices. Everyone goes there, and the BBB is too far for most of our guests to travel. I hate that most of the Target items are online only - just as easy to go to Amazon. Plus, free shipping on lots of items!

We found out last week that we are having a girl! Everything looked great during our 18 week exam. Kind of sad I won't see her again until she makes her arrival in June.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats on the girl, JC. I was thinking the same thing about our 18 week ultrasound but it seems that most women end up with another ultrasound at the end of their pregnancy for some reason or another.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.  We live on the Cape so BBB isn't really convenient for us or our family.  I'm definitely doing most of our registry on Amazon but I'm back and forth between Target and BRU.  We used Target for our wedding registry and didn't have any problems, sorry you didn't have the same experience Summer. I guess we will have to think this one over a bit more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

JC - Congrats on your little girl, and that's wonderful that everything looked great during your u/s.  You may end up with another one towards the end of the PG for one reason or another but if you don't, you can look forward to seeing her sweet face in June when she arrives!

For our DD we registered at BRU and had a small registry at a boutique store in the area called Magic Beans.  It's a great place to go to when you are trying to decide what "big ticket" items to buy (ie stroller, carseat etc.) because the staff is super knowledgable and are happy to spend time with you discussing pros and cons.  They even have a fake weighted baby in their Wellesley store that you can use to put in the stroller, baby bjorn etc. to see what it will feel like to actually cart around a baby using the various items. They are a bit pricy so we only registered for a few select items there (and basically our parents/grandparents were the ones who bought them for us) but it was definitely worth a trip to take advantage of their salesstaff.  We won't register again for baby no. 2 but if I could do it all over again, I'd definitely register at Buy Buy Baby - I recently went to their Braintree store and was very impressed with the amount of things they have in stock and their sales people.  I always feel babies r us is more of a hit or miss type place and haven't been super impressed with the people who work there in terms of their knowledge of the products.

AFM - I'm almost 12 weeks along with No. 2.  We have an u/s a week from today and, assuming all looks good, we will plan to share the news with extended family/friends after that.  Looking forward to having it be out in the open.  I have been feeling generally okay but a little "off" - a little out of it and totally exhausted for the past few weeks and I don't think I've been the greatest friend lately in terms of keeping in touch etc. so it will be good to have a justifiable explanation!!   

Has anyone experienced breathlessness as a side effect in the first trimester? I don't remember having this when I was pregnant with DD (except maybe towards the end) but I've recently been feeling it a lot.  I have had a stuffy nose since I first found out I was pregnant, and I'm sure that is contributing to my feelings of breathlessness.  Its been on and off but was so bad last Friday I called the doctor and they tested me for anemia (which apparently can cause it).  Everything else looks fine though so it may be one of those things I have to deal with...ahh...the joys of being pregnant.  Don't get me wrong, I am SO grateful for being pregnant and having generally healthy pregnancies, but I am not one of those people who professes to love being pregnant. In fact, I really dislike it!  I feel guilty saying that, but its true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

CLC - I would vote for BRU over Target.  I also had a wedding registry at Target and had no issues, but I would say it's different with a baby.  Target has stricter rules about returns, specifically how many times per year you can return items without a receipt.  I am constantly returning baby items or exchanging for different sizes.  Only once has BRU denied me and I wasn't even sure if the item was purchased there so it was totally understandable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, from how it sounds, I think it's a miracle that anyone does enjoy being pregnant, really.  It's one unpleasant thing after another, it seems to me.  Even the "fun" kicks weren't fun for a friend of mine who routinely got kicked in the kidneys.  The miracle of the child growing inside her wasn't on her mind when she got her insides beaten up.  Anyway, all that to say, I wish you wouldn't feel guilty about not loving being pregnant.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, either, if that's any consolation.

As for breathlessness that early, it can be normal, but if it's not normal for you (at least as far as your last pregnancy goes), I'd dig a little deeper to be sure.  I just read a concerning article about women over 40 (because I am and still sort of TTC) and the risk for cardiomyopathy.  Not to scare you, but ask your doctor about your risk; you might want to rule that out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

We did a combo of Amazon and BRU and I think it worked really well.  The things I put on Amazon were all things that I knew I wouldn't need to return, so I did not have to deal with that for online purchases.  I did need to do a ton of returns at BRU, but that is partly because of people buying off-registry (I really didn't need 10 bath towels! and it was easier to return the ones from the registry than the ones bought at random stores) and partly due to me changing my mind on a few items.    The only thing about the Amazon registry is that you have to keep an eye on it... items will suddenly not be available and you need to substitute a different vendor, size, color, etc.  It wasn't a big deal, and I actually liked the larger selection of onesies, etc, but it needed to be watched closer than the BRU registry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

rama, I have had a harder time with breathlessness this time around too. however, I think that some of it may be lugging around my toddler. I wasn't doing that the last time?

we also did similar to rama. magic beans for some fun and frilly stuff (and I have continued to shop there, even for bigger things like strollers and such. customer service is amazing). and BRU- mostly because there was no BBB for me the last time (and we have family all over the country- although magic beans also has a website).

quick question for the second time mothers- are you registering or not? work has had several "second baby" showers for people, and I am weary of not registering just because of the sheer amount of stuff I have from DS. maybe if it is a girl it won't matter- we will just get clothes?  I really don't like registering for things- it just feels weird for me, so I would be happy to avoid it if possible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

JC - congrats on your little girl and a good ultrasound!

Rama - I was extremely breathless immediately with both pregnancies.  I can't even walk down the hall without getting slightly out of breath.  I commented on it so much during my first pregnancy that I keep thinking people here at work are going to hear me huffing and puffing and know that I am pregnant!  (not saying anything until next week)  I've always thought it was very odd to be this breathless before gaining any weight, but the way my OB (or the nurse, I forget) explained it was that it's one way the body deals with having to push all that extra blood around...

Winter - I'm not planning on registering unless enough people tell me they want to buy me things and don't know what to get.  But I'm imagining that won't happen.

Liz - Why not registering for much? Is it because you're not sure what you want?  Because (and I might sound like a gift-grubber for saying this, but...) people LOVE buying for babies and I would recommend registering for EVERYTHING you could possibly need.  It can't hurt.  If it doesn't get bought, you can buy it later.  You might not want to leave *too* much up to your guests as far as decisions... you don't want to be 9 months pregnant returning things you got that you don't want or need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Poppy - I don't think that's gift grubby.  People are going to buy you things if they want to whether or not you register.  You might as well have a big registry so that you at least get items that you want rather than random items people picked for you.  I actually really like shopping off of registries because then I know I'm getting someone something they want/need plus it takes the pressure off of finding the perfect gift.  Although, you'll always have those people that won't buy from a registry because they don't think it's personal (that's how we ended up with a bunch of random stuff after the wedding, none with gift receipts by the way).

ETA - when you ladies were registering did you use some sort of checklist that showed what items you should be registering for?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Poppy and Winter - "Glad" to hear you have experienced breathlessness too.  Makes me feel better to hear others have gone through it in the first trimester.  Kar - Thanks for your concerns, I did see my doctor last week and they checked my blood pressure etc. and didn't see any cause for concern other than me possibly being anemic (I will get those results today or tomorrow). Someone I knew recently passed away of cardiomyopathy a month after having her son, so I know how serious that condition can be.

Re: Registering as a second time mom.  I'm not planning to register, simply because I really don't need much.  If someone is planning on buying me a gift and asks me what I'd like, then maybe I will think of a few ideas of things I need to be able to tell them.  But, like someone else said, I really expect most people to give the new baby clothes, which we will need since it is being born in a completely opposite season as DD (and especially if we have a boy!) We actually do need to buy a new swing because we were borrowing the one we used with DD from a friend who just told me she is also pregnant with number 2 (due just a few weeks before me, yay!).  But I will probably shop around on craigslist and/or check out kid to kid in Natick for that, and anything else we need. For my first baby, I was so concerned that everything be new and clean and have the owners manual etc. but I don't think I will care so much with the second baby because I now know how most of this stuff is used for just a few months and the baby grows out of it and it becomes useless.

That isn't to say that you, Liz, or any other first time mom should set up a small registry. I agree with the others - definitely do a registry and fill it up with as much as possible.  Even if you don't get everything, some stores have a discount program/coupon that allow you to buy unfulfilled items from your registry for a certain percent off after your due date - a good perk!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ps. i remember posting this recently, but you should also register for diapers and breast feeding supplies (if you are planning) because you can get a little discount after at some places...  I also had two recent new moms buy me breast feeding supplies which was awesome, because they are not cheap.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Poppy, I totally understand and my mom mentioned something about her friends/family members will ask what they can get me as well. We will register for enough, I haven't even thought about it yet!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

clc, I used a combo of the lists they hand you when you register at BBB/BBrUs and thorough stalking of friends' registries to figure out what to include on ours. I'm still adding stuff here and there as I think of things. I found the BBB/BBrUs lists to be a tad excessive - their ideas about "necessities" are obviously a bit biased ;)

Speaking of registries and buying stuff new/used...can any of the new/second-time moms recommend the best type of carrier for a newborn? I have one of those really cheap fabric sling-type things, and we registered for a Baby Bjorn Active Carrier (which someone already bought, so too late to change my mind until after the shower ;) But I don't know if either of those things will be great for a newborn. I've heard good things about Ergo carriers - any thoughts? I've been stalking Craigslist big-time for other stuff, but don't know what would make sense for a little baby.

For whatever reason, this morning I started totally freaking out about lead paint. Our house was built in the 20s, and while the woodwork in the "kid bedrooms" has been completely stripped and obviously deleaded, we're certain there's lead in the rest of the house (which has been repainted thoroughly, but I know that's not enough). During the buying process, everyone assured us that practically every house in our town has lead paint (which is true), and it wasn't worth worrying about. But now that DH is doing some sanding/painting in the nursery, and I'm inspecting woodwork with a closer eye, I'm starting to freak out about possible lead exposure, both now with me pregnant and with our little one down the road. I've gone as far as ordering an at-home lead test kit off Amazon and asking my OB if I can get a blood test at my next visit. Anyone have any words of reassurance for an irrational pregnant lady? ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Tang, I am no expert, but can't you have someone come in and measure the levels of led??

P.S. When is everyone due again!? I can't keep everyone straight....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Tang - we had the Bjorn and neither DH nor I loved it.  My girlfriend who is on her 3rd baby LOVES her Ergo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

I wish it were that simple...thanks to the Mass laws, if you have someone officially inspect for lead and it is found (which is apparently almost guaranteed in an older house), your house is listed on a lead registry and you're forced to disclose to future buyers that there's a known lead hazard. Unless you remediate, which can cost crazy amounts of money (from what I've read, something like $6k up to $30k or more). So if you get a real inspection, you have to be ready to de-lead. Ugh. There's kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" standard around these parts - sellers play dumb, and buyers turn a blind eye.

I'm due in mid-April...coming on fast! When are you due?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Tang - to complicate matters, we had the Bjorn and loved it. I have some friends who swear by the ergo, so I really think it's a personal thing.  I'd see if you can try both on and pick whichever is comfortable for you. The ergo rests on your hips while the bjorn is more on your back.  The ergo you can also use as a backpack.  The bjorn lets the baby face in or out and the ergo only faces in.  So there really are big differences between them but they are both highly regarded.  Not to sound like a magic beans salesperson (i'm not) but they were super helpful for us when we were deciding.

I'm due in early August!  A few days after my own birthday!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

PS Tang, regarding the lead, I'd definitely think long and hard about de-leading or figuring out a way to babyproof the windowsills in the entire house.  My daughter who is two still sometimes chews on things around the house, and its impossible to watch her 100% of the time.  I'd be nervous that she'd chew on a window without my knowing and get exposed that way.

One other thing you could do is to talk to your future pediatrician (if you've picked one yet, or this could be a good opportunity to get to know your local pedi offices).  My pedi asks us at every visit if our house was built after a certain year to ensure it doesn't have lead.  Our house was built in the 90's so it's not a concern and I have no idea what questions they would ask as a follow up if we lived in an older house but they likely have encountered this issue before and will have some suggestions for you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Tang - Not sure if this is helpful, but a friend of mine was a member of Boston Babywearers (http://www.bostonbabywearers.com/). I believe they let you check out various types of carriers before you commit to buying one. I don't really know the specifics, but it might be worth your checking out. I know she loved it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

July 27, lots of spring/summer babies! Also, I feel like everyone is getting pregnant. I honestly see a new pregnancy announcment on FB almost everyday! Maybe we're in a baby boom....or that it's like when ALL your friends get married...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE]Poppy and Winter - "Glad" to hear you have experienced breathlessness too.  Makes me feel better to hear others have gone through it in the first trimester.  Kar - Thanks for your concerns, I did see my doctor last week and they checked my blood pressure etc. and didn't see any cause for concern other than me possibly being anemic (I will get those results today or tomorrow). Someone I knew recently passed away of cardiomyopathy a month after having her son, so I know how serious that condition can be. 
    Posted by rama8677[/QUOTE]

Rama, I'm so sorry for your friend.  And, I'm glad that's ruled out for you.  Sounds like your doctor isn't concerned from a cardiac perspective so I wouldn't worry too much aside from following up on the anemia issue.