January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE]JC - Congrats on your little girl, and that's wonderful that everything looked great during your u/s.  You may end up with another one towards the end of the PG for one reason or another but if you don't, you can look forward to seeing her sweet face in June when she arrives! For our DD we registered at BRU and had a small registry at a boutique store in the area called Magic Beans.  It's a great place to go to when you are trying to decide what "big ticket" items to buy (ie stroller, carseat etc.) because the staff is super knowledgable and are happy to spend time with you discussing pros and cons.  They even have a fake weighted baby in their Wellesley store that you can use to put in the stroller, baby bjorn etc. to see what it will feel like to actually cart around a baby using the various items. They are a bit pricy so we only registered for a few select items there (and basically our parents/grandparents were the ones who bought them for us) but it was definitely worth a trip to take advantage of their salesstaff.  We won't register again for baby no. 2 but if I could do it all over again, I'd definitely register at Buy Buy Baby - I recently went to their Braintree store and was very impressed with the amount of things they have in stock and their sales people.  I always feel babies r us is more of a hit or miss type place and haven't been super impressed with the people who work there in terms of their knowledge of the products. AFM - I'm almost 12 weeks along with No. 2.  We have an u/s a week from today and, assuming all looks good, we will plan to share the news with extended family/friends after that.  Looking forward to having it be out in the open.  I have been feeling generally okay but a little "off" - a little out of it and totally exhausted for the past few weeks and I don't think I've been the greatest friend lately in terms of keeping in touch etc. so it will be good to have a justifiable explanation!!    Has anyone experienced breathlessness as a side effect in the first trimester? I don't remember having this when I was pregnant with DD (except maybe towards the end) but I've recently been feeling it a lot.  I have had a stuffy nose since I first found out I was pregnant, and I'm sure that is contributing to my feelings of breathlessness.  Its been on and off but was so bad last Friday I called the doctor and they tested me for anemia (which apparently can cause it).  Everything else looks fine though so it may be one of those things I have to deal with...ahh...the joys of being pregnant.  Don't get me wrong, I am SO grateful for being pregnant and having generally healthy pregnancies, but I am not one of those people who professes to love being pregnant. In fact, I really dislike it!  I feel guilty saying that, but its true.
    Posted by rama8677[/QUOTE]

Rama, I am starting to feel a little breathlessness. Nothing big, though. Just when I have to walk up a lot of stairs or something. The other day at work, the elevators were broken and I had to meet with someone on the 5th floor (I work on the 1st) and I thought I as going to die when I got to the top. So sad, but I guess it is just a side effect. My OB said it can get more prominent in the second trimester.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Rama, I've been short of breath since the beginning, though now at 34 weeks it's more pronounced and obviously the extra load I'm lugging :). Clc, my "checklist" was my SIL who has two little kids. She walked us through BRU for 3 hours (she's a saint!) and advised us on everything we'd need and everything they'd try to sell us that was useless. If you have someone who's been through it recently and whose advice you trust, I'd recommend that route. Who is due next? I'm realizing how close I'm getting to the front of the pack (due Mar 6). I know hughkona's almost my dd twin but I'm trying to remember who the February ladies are...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I am also feeling breathlessness but its more like I cant take a deep breath.  Its not all the time but has been happening for the last 3 weeks.  I have a feeling mine is due to aniexty.  I go to the doctors next week and is on my list of questions to ask.

I have started to work out again.  The doctor gave me the ok.  It has really helped me to sleep better.  I sit a work all day and then sit on the couch when I get home so I needed to do something.  I am feeling a little better about myself.  I think that when I look more pregnant and not just fat then Ill feel better :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Last night I was awake for about an hour with pains on the both sides of my lower abdomen. At first, I thought it was really bad gas, but it didn't go away, so I started to worry. However I looked it up this morning and found this article:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/your-body/week-14/aches-pains-and-cramps.aspx

Did anyone else feel these? It says it starts around 14 weeks and I am going to be 14 weeks on Friday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

lizinboston, I used to get a lot of round ligament pain. I had to look it up too, wondering what it was I was feeling. I explained it to DH and after that he'd make me laugh by saying I was "under construction."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

I have the Ergo and used it a ton when ds was a newborn in the heart to heart insert.  I now use it both on my back and you can configure it so you carry on your hip as well which is nice.  I like it because ds tries to get out of the stroller and it is hard to talk to him when he is all the way down there.  in the carrier he is up with me and seems to like it - he was cranky while shopping the other day, I put him on my back and he passed out within 10 minutes.  Some say their babies prefer to face out - when ds was little he would become overwhelmed so facing in was nice.  He looked around when he wanted to and nestled in when he did not...
    Tang I was going to warn you about the official lead tests and having to disclose it but you are aware...I can not give any advice on what to do though.  I wish you luck

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Tang, when I had my son (11 years ago) we owned an older home.  We were pretty certain it had lead paint, but did not want to have the testing and then very costly repair.  We told our pedi and she tested him for lead levels a couple of times.  The only place we thought we would have lead was around the doors and windows.  My son never chewed on those.  his lead levels were within the normal range. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

tang- you can buy "over the counter" lead tests at any home improvement store. you just rub it on the wall and it changes colors. no record you even bought them if you pay cash.

and about the carriers- my loves changed as DS got older. we had a baby bjorn (with the back support, not the cross cross straps) which I loved when DS was little, but as he got older and bigger, it was awful and he literally didn't fit.  I tried the ergo, but it wasn't comfortable.... wound up at magic beans trying them all on and got some other brand.  just fit my body better.  some people say you shouldn't get the bjorn because of where it falls on the baby (some carriers the babies sit in them- with their knees up, and others their legs dangle) but DS never had an issue. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Tang... I've been using the My Baby Nest carrier with our DD.  I really like it as it is a fabric carrier that I can just wear over my clothes if she is not in it and then just slip her in when I'm ready.  I love how snug she is against me and she seems to love being close and hearing my heartbeat because she will sleep for up to 2 hours in the carrier even if I'm putzing around doing dishes, cleaning up, etc.  We got the Ergo but not the infant insert, so I was debating borrowing the insert from a friend, but ended up really liking the fabric carrier.  A friend had suggested the Baby Nest over the Moby as the fabric is less stretchy and therefore the baby feels more secure and can be used for a bit longer (though it is more expensive).  I also picked up a Bjorn at a consignment store for $10.  That is one thing that I noticed... consigment stores had tons of Bjorns and Infantino carriers, but no moby or Ergo carriers... I therefore assumed Ergos were more useful for longer and registered for that. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Well my OB wants to see me to check my cervix and do an u/s...hope everyting is ok!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Sending good thoughts your way Liz...always better to go to have things checked out than to google it and get really anxious!  Keep us posted! 

AFM...made it through the weekend and the anniversary of the miscarriage, so am feeling a little more confident that this is a sticky baby!  Have my first OB app't next week, and, if like last time, should get a first look at this little bean. 

Been feeling soooooooo tired and grumpy though.  Good energy in the am, but it is gone after lunch.  Luckily, DH has been good about picking up where I trail off, especially when it comes to playing with our DD.  Of course, at 15 months, she's going through a mommy-phase, too, so it doesn't make it any easier! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck at the OB, Liz.  Hopefully it's just normal growing pains.  Keep us updated!

Luv - I'm sure this weekend was very hard on your and your DH glad you got through it.  Hopefully your OB appointment next week will go great.  How many weeks are you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Liz - it's a mixed blessing when you have an OB that takes you seriously and wants to check out any questionable feelings!  Hopefully it's just ligament pains and nothing else (which is very likely!).  My OB had me rush in for an ultrasound when I had very light spotting around week 10 last pregnancy, then later told me he wasn't concerned.  I guess some of them like to check everything out just in case.

Luv - Yes!  New week!  Glad you are feeling better. (But sorry about the grumpies... )

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Good luck Liz- hopefully it is just growing pains. A couple weeks ago I was woken up by cramps and the week before I had pain in one spot in my lower right pelvic area. I know it's so hard not to worry, but I'm a total hypochondriac so I give myself a one day limit where if it doesn't stop I'll call the dr, or if it gets worse and worse. It went away within a day or so.

AFM...how does one deal with back pain? Tylenol does squat. There is one spot, in my mid-back, just where the muscle meets my spine, that hurts SO bad. It's an impossible area to stretch, and my only relief is DH rubbing it when he gets home. I don't know if it's my posture or what...but man it's awful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm about 9 weeks now...so slowly getting there.  Thanks for all of the good thoughts!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

summer, are you allowed to use those stick on chemical heating pads in pregnancy?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for all of the well wishes, everyone. The u/s went great, and the bean was moving around like crazy. My cervix is nice and long, according to the nurse. I did, however find out that I have an anterior placenta, which means the placenta is in the front, so it may take awhile for me to feel any kicks. My friend who had the same thing didn't feel her first kick until 24 weeks. As for the pain, they think it is ligament pain, but also tested me for a UTI.

Congrats to reaching 9 weeks, Luv! The first trimester takes forever.

Poppy, you're totally right in that I am lucky to have an OB rush me in. I would rather that than sit at home and have to wait until my nest real u/s!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Good luck at the OB, Liz. I'm crossing my fingers that it's just normal aches and pains. ETA - you posted before I finished typing. Congrats on the good u/s!

Luv - you must be so relieved to be through that difficult week and weekend. I hope you have a great appointment next week.

AFM - on Saturday I was feeling pretty good and freaked out because last time that happened I ended up with an early m/c. Stupidly, I took a hpt and the line was slightly lighter than when I tested a couple weeks ago so I tried later and it seemed to be about as dark as earlier ones. Of course I tested again yesterday and this morning and it's definitely lighter using FMU. But now my symptoms are pretty much back to normal, maybe just not quite as much nausea but it still comes and goes. I remember my doctor telling me that sometimes tests will become lighter and may turn negative after a certain point and google seems to say it could happen after 6 weeks and I'm almost 7. I'm trying to stay positive and focus on the fact that I have no cramping or bleeding but I'm still a nervous wreck. And the fact that it's the absolute busiest week of the year at work and I'd probably get fired if I took any time off to go to the doctor doesn't help matters. Sorry for the vent, I'm just so frustrated and nervous!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, I can only imagine the anxiety you're going through. This is just my advice, and you of course don't have to take it you don't want to. I would stop testing and wait until your next u/s. You will drive yourself nuts in the meantime! This is so much easier said than done, but try to think positive! Me, of all people, should be taking that advice, as well!

Pregnancy is the most anxiety inducing thing, EVER. I keep telling my mom I don't know how she went through two pregnancies and not one u/s! I can't imagine never actually seeing it in the womb!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats on the good US, Liz. Also, your placenta could move prior to 18 weeks.  I had a front placenta at my 12 week ultrasound but I started feeling kicks around 18 1/2 weeks.  I didn't ask at the 18 week ultrasound as to where the placenta was now but I've been feeling lots of movement so either it moved or my baby's very strong!  So there is still hope!

Cici - Your lack of symptoms could also have been because you were really busy.  I found that during days at work where I was going non-stop I wouldn't notice any of my symptoms because I was too busy working. I would get home at night and be like, "wow I felt great all day" but really I just wasn't paying attention.  On slower days I notice every little thing!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Summer, I have some suggestions for your back pain (I'm training to be a massage therapist). That group of muscles are called the erectors and there are large ones going from your hip bone to you skull and tiny ones right by your spine. The areas on either side of your spine are the lamina groove and you can get some relief there. 

Have your DH a) trim his nails! and b) put his finger tips along yor spine (following the line of it) and do some frictioning in a toward the spine and away motion. He can move up and down the whole spine. He should avoid moving his fingers in "come here" motion and try to use his whole arm for the movement.

This may be easiest if you lie on your side on your bed with a pillow under your head, a pillow between your knees, and hugging another pillow. (That's how pregnant women are positioned for a massage session.) 

Hope that helps!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I should add a disclaimer...I'm a student, not a professional, and any pregnancy massage should be done by a licensed professional, but rubbing those muscles with caution and light pressure may give you some relief. And if you feel discomfort you should stop and of course check with your doctor to make sure massage is safe.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Thank you WhirledPeas! That sounds like it's exactly where it hurts, I'll have DH try that...I need anything that provides relief. I plan on asking my dr at my appointment tomorrow for any other ideas that will help...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Summer, I hope the massage works and your back starts to feel better soon!

Liz - I will definitely take your advice. I stashed away the remaining couple of tests and made DH promise not to let me use them. I agree about the anxiety. I'm sure my biggest problem is that I haven't seen a doctor yet and I don't go for another 3 weeks so it still doesn't feel real yet. It's stressing DH out too because other than seeing me exhausted all the time, he has no way to tell that anything is happening.
    CLC - I'm sure you're absolutely right about being too busy to notice how I feel. I think the extra hour of sleep on Saturday probably helped too.

Just curious about something, before the first appointment does the doctor's office typically send a package with information and forms to fill out? I made my appointment three weeks ago and they said the were going to mail something but I haven't received anything yet. Maybe they don't send it until closer to the appointment?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Cici - I didn't have to fill anything out before my first appointment.  I actually filled them out with the NP and she asked questions as I went.  Not sure if that's typical but that's how my office handles things.

Here's a funny blog post regarding people touching your belly.  One of my friends sent it to me because she knows how uncomfortable it makes me.  Enjoy!