January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Cici, I got a big packet to fill out before my app't...if they said they'd mail something, I'd call and ask for it again.  A lot of it is family history stuff, your pre-admit form for the hospital, that kind of thing, but easier to fill out at home with some thought than sitting in the waiting room!  The last time, I sat down with the NMW in her office and reviewed everything, as well as questions/concerns/anxieties and overview of how the visit schedule works, etc. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I got a big packet after my first appt. It seems as though every practice is different.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

CiCi I filled out a worksheet while in the waiting room for my first appointment. But, like others have said, I'd call back if they said they were going to mail you something. The first trimester is just so stressful, and the wait from when you get the BFP to your first appointment seems like ages, I can totally relate.  Hang in there!  Please know though that many women, including me, have no nausea in the first trimester - and go on to have normal, healthy pregnancies.  Keep focusing on that, rather than your prior loss. It will help. 

Summer - I had some back pain my last pregnancy.  Mine was mostly at night and I found that stretching every night before bed really helped as well as sleeping with lots of supportive pillows.  If yours is during the day and you are working an office job, definitely cnsider getting a pillow for your chair and get up and stretching every 45 mins or so.  If you aren't already doing that!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I forgot to ask my OB this week about sleeping on my stomach.  I go to bed on my side every night but I always wake up on my stomach.  I'm 20 weeks and I definitely have a bump but apparently that's not stopping me from sleeping on my stomach.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  I don't want to squish the LO. I have a Mini Snoogle that I've been trying to sleep with but I end up getting frustrated with it and kick it out of bed half way through the night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Clc, my doctor said stomach sleeping is perfectly fine until it gets physically impossible. She said it is impossible to squish it, I asked the same thing! The baby is packed in so much stuff that protects it. But, she did say that starting at 20 weeks she tells her patients to stop back sleeping.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

How are you supposed to stop sleeping on your back? I fall asleep every night on my side and wake up on my back without ever realizing that I moved. I don't understand how you can prevent yourself from switching positions while you sleep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

cici- sometimes you can't. I used to always roll on my back and sometimes I would wake up with weird tingling.  I used to prop a small pillow behind me to keep me from rolling- but honestly, by the end, it takes a lot of energy to actually roll your entire body over- particularly if your bed is soft.

AFM- question for the second time mommies- when did you start showing? I am even more paranoid this time about potential problems and was hoping to make it 4 months or so before saying anything... but feel like people are already staring (and I am showing) now- at 11 weeks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, sometimes you can't stop. But apparently after 20 weeks sleeping on your back can cause stress to your spine and doesn't allow all oxygen to reach the fetus. My OB said some of her patients are literally sleeping in recliners by the end because it is the only comfortable position for them.

Also, I am NO doctor, just reporting what my OB told me. Every OB is different and has different opinions. I am eating canned tuna once a  week because my OB said that was fine, my friends OB said no tuna at all.

Ok, what does AFM stand for!? For the longest time I though it was another poster, but then realized, nope!

And on more question: I am terribly constipated. To the point where I am bloated and uncomfortable all day. I think that's what all the pain was that I was feeling. I have been adding benefiber to my water today, but any other suggestions would be great.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, Liz.  Good to know about the stomach sleeping!

Liz, AFM means "As for me"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ha, thanks!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks for the info Liz! BTW pretty new photo. I totally understand the reason why it's bad, just have a hard time getting around the logistics of actually not doing it.
    I have not really had any constipation so far although I know it's pretty common. I primarily eat a vegetarian diet and have minimal one serving of beans per day and only eat whole grain. I think once they are part of your regular diet they don't really cause gas issues. If I am feeling a little off, I also make sure to eat an apple. They really get things moving along.

Winter - good point about the difficulty moving around later on. I've been so focused on just getting to my first appointment I must've forgotten about the whole getting bigger thing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

With my first, she was very deep in there and far back and down (my placenta was in the front too, so I had even less padding between her and my spine than usual).  I was always a back sleeper and I eventually broke the habit because I would have HORRIFIC nightmares I was drowning/dying/being smothered and would wake up thrashing whenever I rolled onto my back.  I guess my brain wasn't getting enough oxygen.  After a few weeks, I started staying on my side through the night.  Getting a body pillow to hug seemed to help too. I would say if you aren't having weird effects from it it probably isn't affecting your or the baby. 

Winter-- I showed A LOT earlier and A LOT more with this one.  I didn't even switch to maternity pants until 16 weeks with my first, and that was mostly just for comfort's sake (I could still fit in my real pants, they were just kind of tight).  I HAD to switch to maternity pants because I COULD NOT fit in my regular pants at about 11 weeks this time.  Plus, all my symptoms have been stronger (morning sickness, exhaustion, etc.).  Good luck not telling work. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for the advice, Cici. I am have been trying to up my fruit intake, so hopefully that helps. Also, the things I have cravings for are super healthy. I have been craving red peppers, cucumbers, raspberries and blueberries lately.

And, thank you about the photo...it was taken on our honeymoon in Aruba.

Lissa, I started to show early, I think. I am going to be 14 weeks on Friday and I can still fit into my regular jeans, but I definitely have a defined bump. And, this is my first!! Was your placenta in the front the whole time? When did you start feeling kicks?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Well, first time around I had a 4 pack and killer obliques to start out with, so it was partly just me starting out flatter.  This time around, not so much haha. 
    My placenta was in front the whole time.  I started feeling kicks around 19 or 20 weeks but my husband couldn't feel anything until 23 or 24 weeks.  They felt STRONG to me by then but he couldn't feel them, even when his hands on the exam place she was kicking.
    Hopefully you don't have crazy sciatica like I did.  She was settled down against my sciatic nerve for like 3 months.  ugh. 

Interestingly, my placenta is in front this time too but I've been feeling kicks earlier, I think because I know what the first flutters feel like and also because my stomach muscles are all stretched out and sad (hence the early popping) so I can feel stuff better.  I'm at 19 weeks now and I've been feeling movement pretty consistently for the last week or so. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, if you are open to having under 300 mg of caffeine a day, coffee increases intestinal motility helping you go.  One cup a day might do the trick.

Everyone I've ever known with more than one child showed far earlier the second time.  I think once those muscles get all stretched out once, they say, "Oh, yeah, I know where this is going!" the second time around.  GL!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I slept on my back until the very end with both my pregnancies. I wasn't completely flat on my back (I usually sleep with 2 or 3 pillows and was often up to 4 while pg.) It was really the most comfortable position for me, especially when I had bouts of heartburn. My OB's take on it was that my body would let me know quite quickly if the position I was in was not OK and then I'd move. (It's kind of like the old joke when someone goes to the doctor and says, "My arm hurts when I move it like this." Then the doctor replies, "Well, don't move it like that!" :)

Winter--with pg #1, I started in maternity clothes at about 17-18 weeks. With #2 I had an actual bump and had grown out of my normal clothes closer to the 11-12 week mark.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks, ladies, for the thoughts about lead paint and carriers. I had a blood draw taken for lead the other day, so if my levels are low, that'll ease my mind (for now, anyway). The thought of my DH unintentionally stirring up lead paint dust while sanding, though unlikely, really started to mess with me.

And thanks for the opinions on carriers. I guess we'll wait 'til we get the Bjorn that we registered for at our shower and see if we like how that fits (hmm, maybe our cat will play baby for us). Boston, I looked at BBrUs and BuyBuyBaby and didn't see the My Baby Nest carrier, but I did see it on Amazon. Do you know what size you have? They come in S, M, L, but I don't see any info on how to choose. Do the sizes correspond to your body, or to the age/weight of the baby?

About back sleeping...I am a hardcore back sleeper, so it took some time for me to get used to sleeping on my side. My OB also told me that I didn't have to worry 'til I really had a bump, and even then, if I woke up on my back (which still happens sometimes now, at 29 weeks), "NOT TO WORRY!" She said, like kiwi's doc, that my body would let me know if my position was harming me or the baby.

But to get used to sleeping on my side...I'll admit I had a few rough nights, but I bought a long body pillow (pillow + case were like $40 on overstock), and that's been a huge help. If I put one end of it between my knees and hug the other end against me, that works great. We have a memory foam mattress - I've found that sleeping on certain other mattresses gave me some hip pain, but I'm totally fine on ours.

cici, I'm so sorry you're concerned. I was freaked out during my first trimester too. Like others have said, though - it's totally normal to go without pregnancy symptoms (I had basically none, which messed with my head). Would your doctor see you earlier, given your history, to reassure you? Not that he/she could do much, except for do an early ultrasound, but it might put your mind at ease. What helped me, at least somewhat, was focusing on the little baby inside me that more likely than not was going to grow and thrive, and thinking about how my anxiety was causing stress hormones to wash over him/her, which certainly isn't a good thing. That would sometimes be enough to halt my worry train, at least for awhile.

Liz, I dealt with constipation in the first and early second trimesters...not fun! You may already know this, but be careful with Fiber One products and anything containing chicory root. I was eating Fiber One cereal, brownies, bars, etc until I learned that chicory root can cause uterine contractions and isn't a great idea in pregnancy. After that, I turned to the old-fashioned stuff...dried prunes, prune juice, etc. Blecch. Prune juice seemed to help, disgusting though it is. And like kar said, coffee has always helped me, but I gave it up cold turkey when I got pregnant so I haven't had that to help me out.

My issue these days is...gross though it is to admit...gas. It's sort of random and nonstop, and I can't pinpoint anything in my diet that would be causing it, except maybe my increased milk intake. Not horrible enough to cut anything, especially anything healthy, from my diet - but embarrassing nonetheless. Anyone else deal with this in the third trimester?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, Fiber One KILLS me, anyway! It makes my gas and bloating even worse. I am going to get some prunes today...they aren't the greatest, but hopefully they will help. Prune juice, never had it, but not a bad idea to try..

What exactly is a prune? A dried up plum?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: back-sleeping: Exactly what others said. You'll know if you shouldn't be.  Your body will tell you.  You'll feel like you're going to pass out or throw up (or have horrific nightmares, as Lissa did!). This was SO HARD for me as I am a back sleeper.  I'm not looking forward to dealing with that again this time around.

Tang - the gas is the WORST!  A couple of times during my third trimester it was so bad I thought I was going into labor. I wish I could be more helpful, but I never really found a good way to deal with it.  The little "Gas-X" and other OTC remedies didn't do much for me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - Yes, a prune is a dried plum.  Give plum juice a try, it tastes a lot better than prune juice. Nantucket Nectars makes a great one.  Also, hot or warm water, which is kind of gross, it helps to get your digestive system working.  Perhaps down a few glasses of hot water. 

Cici - I agree with Tang that if you are really nervous you could call your OB and see if they will take you in earlier than your scheduled appointment.  The worst they can say is no.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

PlumSmart Juice helped when I had constipation issues, and it is much tastier than prune juice. They also make a V-8 with extra fiber - that might also help. The NP also recommended "Smooth Move" herbal tea- I only used it as a last resort, but it worked! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Has anyone heard this this product?? http://www.snuza.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&lang=en 

My friends baby was born with an increased risk of SIDS and it really put her at ease...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, are you abstaining completely from caffeine?

Smooth Move gives me cramps, but it does work overnight.  I didn't know senna was OK for pg.

Hot water isn't too terrible if you squeeze a little fresh lemon juice in it.

Prunes themselves are a pretty tasty snack imo.  (Prune juice, though, I find kind of vile.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Kar - I only used as a last resort, when the pain of not going was far worse than anything I noticed from the tea. I would check with your OB to be sure, and I would try other things, like more fiber and plenty of water, plus getting a little physical activity (hard when pregnant, but getting moving can help get you moving) first, but if all else fails, it does exist, and did help.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    Has anyone heard this this product?? http://www.snuza.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&lang=en   My friends baby was born with an increased risk of SIDS and it really put her at ease...
    Posted by lizinboston

I have not heard of someone saying their baby was at increased risk of SIDS. How do they decide a baby is a higher risk?

Sections
Shortcuts