January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

cwagner, she has American Indian in her (the baby) and apparently they are?! I don't know the details, and it isn't my place to ask.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    Kar - I only used as a last resort, when the pain of not going was far worse than anything I noticed from the tea. I would check with your OB to be sure, and I would try other things, like more fiber and plenty of water, plus getting a little physical activity (hard when pregnant, but getting moving can help get you  moving) first, but if all else fails, it does exist, and did help.
    Posted by amy-lynn

I have gone off of coffee cold turkey. The only caffeine that I consume is chocolate. I will try the hot water with lemon.

ETA: this post was supposed to be responding to Kar's post!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kar - I only used as a last resort, when the pain of not going was far worse than anything I noticed from the tea. I would check with your OB to be sure, and I would try other things, like more fiber and plenty of water, plus getting a little physical activity (hard when pregnant, but getting moving can help get you  moving) first, but if all else fails, it does exist, and did help.
    Posted by amy-lynn

I wasn't criticizing your choice, just letting anyone know that might try senna that while it's all natural it still gives me pretty significant cramps.  I was thinking that anyone pregnant might freak out, wondering if they'd done something really bad, if they didn't know to expect that potential side effect.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy! : I have gone off of coffee cold turkey. The only caffeine that I consume is chocolate. I will try the hot water with lemon. ETA: this post was supposed to be responding to Kar's post!
    Posted by lizinboston

Ah, OK.  Well, chocolate might have enough to help, actually.  Not sure, but it's worth an experiment, right?  LOL!  Have a serving of dark chocolate first thing in the morning and see what happens.  I like Trader Joe's 70% dark, "Pound Plus."  3 squares = 1 serving.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Prunes are just dried plums.  I am pretty sure "plumsmart" juice is just better-marketed, brand-name prune juice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Lissafro -nope, Plumsmart is much lighter, in color and consistency. Prune juice is dark purple, almost black, and reminds me of used motor oil because of color and viscosity. Plumsmart is more like cranberry or white grape juice blends, but according to the label still has lots of fiber. I'm sure there are other brands, but (at least a while ago, when I was pregnant) the Plumsmart usually had a coupon under the label, so I kept buying it since I am a sucker for a coupon. 

Kar - no offence taken, I just was saying that when all else fails, ask your doctor/nurse, since I was surprised that the Smooth Move tea was OK, and since I was crampy and bloaty and felt awful from constipation, the relief gained was worth it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

amy-lynn, thanks, I'm glad we're good and you knew I wasn't attacking you on any level.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

when I was in the hospital after having DD, they kept bringing me prune juice and I just could NOT drink it.  My DH, however, loved it and would go and sneak it out of the fridge several times a day.  He even brought some home with us, so for weeks afterward we had all these little hospital juices in our fridge.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I've never tried prune juice.  I really like prunes though, they're tasty, like candy.  DD loves them too.  It's dangerous, though.  It only takes like 2 to make a serving.  I've definitely come home from work to find DD with the carton of prunes in her lap, DH sitting next to her looking like he's done a great thing giving her a healthy snack.  She's not constipated to begin with, so the effects can be quite exciting. 
    If you are upping your fiber intake you've got to make sure you drink enough water too, otherwise your body can't use the fiber to full advantage.
    Ugh, and I hear you all on the pregnancy gas.  To make an uncomfortable situation more embarrassing, I don't even work in an office where I can pretend there isn't an "issue" and be surrounded by very polite adults who uncomfortably pretend they don't sense any "issues" either.  I work in a high school, surrounded by very vocal kids who gleefully accuse each other (thankfully, not me yet haha) of every emination that wafts through the halls.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Re: constipation…I may have mentioned this on these boards before, but the thing that helped me the most with pregnancy constipation was to drink a full 12-oz glass of lukewarm water immediately upon waking up…  this kind of jump-starts the digestive system for the day and hydrates the intestines and gets things moving.  It worked every time… 

(p.s. just want to make sure that everyone knows why hydration is so important when it comes to a happy GI system…  water is absorbed in your body through your intestines, so when you don’t have enough, your intestines try to grab as much as they can from whatever’s in there, thus making the contents harder and slower-moving!) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Just chiming in on the constipation issue...

One thing my nutritionist recommended me is adding Bran Buds to things. I think it's made by All Bran cereal. I've been adding it to Greek yogurt in the afternoons and I find it not only works for it's given purpose, but I also really like the texture it gives to yogurt. You just need a tablespoon or two in the beginning, then you can work your way up to more if needed. DH is totally freaked out by it, but I like it.

Drinking enough water is key, especially if you're upping your fiber. Otherwise the fiber binds up and just makes matters worse. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Lissa - that's a tough. At least teens will normally blame other teens before their teacher!

Regarding water - you do eventually get used to drinking warm/hot water. I only drink room temperature or preferably warmer because I have Raynaud's and honestly I never even notice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

tang - i got the medium size. I usually wear a 4-6 and am 5'7" and the M fits well. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Poppy, I am so impressed/amazed that your DH actually likes prune juice! I only managed to drink it for a couple of days, and literally had to hold my nose and gag it down. Nasty stuff. This may have been coincidence, but the talk about chocolate made me remember that chocolate-covered raisins have done the trick for me in the past! Now THOSE I can get behind.

I have a question for the second-time moms-to-be, and I should probably ask it in Infants & Toddlers, too. I've been talking to work about my hours when I return from maternity leave. I work from home, for starters, which obviously eliminates any commute and will give me some good flexibility. I currently work M-F, 40 hours/week. I've been given the option to work 4 10-hour days and have Fridays off when I come back. This will allow me to keep my current salary, and the cost of our benefits (much better through my job than DH's) won't go up. I also have the option of working a 32-hour week, Mon-Thurs. But my salary would drop and cost of benefits would go through the roof.

We're leaning toward the compressed 40-hour week. But I'd love to hear from moms who've gone back to work - does this seem reasonable? It's so hard to know until we're there, but I'd imagine I'll be exhausted and won't love seeing less of the baby in the mornings and evenings. However, most moms have to contend with a commute, which I won't, so I guess I won't miss much more time than a mom with a 9-5 and a commute. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

tang - i got the medium size. I usually wear a 4-6 and am 5'7" and the M fits well. 
    Posted by bostongrl

Thanks, boston! I'm a bit shorter than you but generally wear the same size (especially with the added preggo/post-preggo weight), so a medium is probably right for me too. Thanks again - hope you're having a great time with your LO!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Tang - I am currently doing a similar schedule to what you outline in your post, except I am working 4 9 hour days and taking a half day on Wednesdays.  It's different for me because I didn't start this schedule until DD was about 14 months old, so I can't speak to doing this with a littler one... When do you plan to start this schedule?  Around 3 months postpardum?

For me, the absolute hardest part is the commute.  We currently (temporarily) live almost 1 hour from my job, so I have essentially an 11 hour day.  I hate not seeing DD for more than an hour or so on those long days, but I do love having Wednesday afternoons with her.  Without that commute, I would say go for the compressed schedule and see how you like it.  If you try it and hate it, could you opt to switch to the 32 hour per week schedule?  If you do that, could you arrange to do it temporarily, like for 6 months or something, then go back to normal or switch to the compressed 40 hours?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

tang, you wouldn't have baby home with you when you worked from home, right?  S/he'll be in daycare? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

To chime in on the constipation issue -- I've never done just hot water but I find a hot drink (tea, decaf coffee, or, most often for me, hot cocoa :-)) can get things moving if it's not a bad bout. I'm on iron pills for anemia, and my doc actually told me to just take a mild stool softener (NOT laxative) every night with the iron, since it worsens constipation. I want to take as few pills as possible, so I tend to not take it every night, but it definitely helps when I do.

Tang, I can't offer input as a mom yet, but I did a condensed 36 hour schedule when I was in grad school and working: 4 9-hour days, and loved it. The trick for me was starting earlier. I'd been 9-5 and went to 8:30-5:30 (would have done 8-5 if I could have gotten myself up that early!). Since the extra hour was only a half hour difference on each end from a "normal" day I wasn't too fazed. Obviously it's tougher with a LO, but if you can manage it, having a whole extra day sounds worth it to me. I may even try to go back to something like that when my little guy is here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Tang - Since you wouldn't have a commute, I think a condensed schedule M-Th could work well.  I work a regular schedule (M-F 8:30 to 5:00), so I drop DD at daycare at 7:45 and get home at 6:00 at the earliest.  If you were working 8:00 -6:00, you'd see your LO about the same amount.  Or more if your DH was picking up and primarily caring for the child before your work day technically ended. 
    Of course, I wish I didn't have a long commute and could get home earlier to spend more time with DD at night...

Liz - I've never heard of the monitor you mentioned, but a friend had the baby monitor with the pad you put under the mattress and she ended up taking the pad out and using only the regular monitor part.  She said every time the baby moved off the pad, an alarm would go off.  It's tough to decide on that stuff.  God forbid anything terrible ever happened, you would like to know that you had done everything possible to prevent it.  But I'm more of a minimalist and just us a regular ol' audio monitor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Does anyone else have frequent moments of wondering about pg questions and thinking "Oh, I'll post that on the board" and then forget for days/weeks at a time? This is my experience lately, so while I'm on, I have some random questions for you all:

I am 34 weeks and seem to have stopped gaining weight. My overall weight is good -- 30 lbs so far. My doc said weight was good yesterday but when I looked at my at-home chart this morning and realized I'd been hovering in the same range (give or take 1 lb) since Christmas, I started to wonder. I know LO is supposed to be gaining about 1/2 lb per week, so ideally this just means he's putting on weight and I'm losing a little, but that just sounds too good to be true. He's been measuring steadily in the 30th percentile at my ultrasounds, so I just want to make sure he's packing on enough. I'm sure doing my part with eating! Anyone else experience this?

DH and I are starting to plan our approach to the big day, and one thing that came up is when to tell our parents/his siblings to come to the hospital. Those who have had babies, did you have close family come see you in recovery, or did you wait until you were settled in your room? My mom is very concerned with having a plan that respects our wishes. I think DH's parents were in the waiting room while his sister was delivering her kids, but I'm thinking I'd probably prefer to call them when LO makes his entrance and have a little extra time before anyone else comes in. Thoughts?

Finally, I think I'm going drug-free and of course am concerned about pain of all kinds. I've heard perineal massage can prevent tearing, but I'm procrastinating doing it because it sounds rather unpleasant (ha, and I'm going to do a drug-free birth??). Has anyone found that this really helps?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - During the last several weeks of pregnancy, I gained like 2-3 lbs, so I wouldn't be concerned.  You could mention it to the doctor, but I'm sure they measure your bump at every visit and would let you know if there was a lack of growth to be concerned about. 

I'm not sure what you mean by recovery room?  We were in the L&D room and then I was moved to my main room (maternity?) probably about an hour after delivering.  Having visitors in the L&D room was not an option, but DH and my mom were with me.  Within about 3-4 hours of delivering, most of both our families were there - 10 people.  I didn't mind having so many visitors, but some people feel differently and I get that too!  The next night, my mom and sister came back and about 5 friends came to visit as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Arcain - Our mothers were in the waiting room for about half of my 24 hour labor (first grandchild: there was NO keeping them away) and there was no way they weren't going to be rewarded with a very early glimpse of DD.  No holding (I don't think?), but they both joined me and the baby in recovery after my c-section for a little while, then they left when we went to our room.  But at that point it was probably... 1am maybe.  They came back the next day with their respective partners and my SIL.  A lot of it may depend upon what time your baby is born.  

I will say neither of us have big families and neither my FIL or my mom's partner were interested in waiting in the waiting room and being there immediately after I delivered, so we really only had 2 people to worry about, which was not overwhelming to me.  If we each had extended families and two parents on each side, I think I would have maybe allowed our parents, but not siblings.  Just keep in mind you might not be able to call them right away after the baby is born, depending on the situation.  I had an unplanned c-section and was totally drugged for quite a while, and I don't think DH had his phone because he couldn't bring it into the OR, so I don't think he had it until after we were already settled into our room.  Instead, he was able to just run out to the waiting room to tell them that DD was here, then come back to me.

I don't have much advice re: the weight gain... If your doctor isn't worried, I would say try not to worry.  I think my gaining also slowed down around that time - I think I was right around a 1 pound difference for several visits.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thank you for all of the suggestions regarding constipation. I made a big batch of whole grain rice and beans and have been having that everyday for lunch and it is definitely helping! I also have been eating dried apricots and they seem to work as well. Hopefully this will soon end. I start my second trimester today, yay!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Re: weight gain. I know that my cousin, who is obese, actually LOST weight during pregnancy (like 5-10lbs!) and delivered a healthy 7lb baby at term.  The same thing happened to another girl I knew from HS- she is overweight and ended up losing weight over the course of pregnancy, and then CONT'D to lose weight post-partum.  The baby was born a bit early at 5lbs but was not related to her weight issue.  Your baby is a perfect "parasite" and will continue to get the nutrients it needs from your body.

Re: perinuem massage.  I am a 2nd timer and I work in OB.  I have not heard from people that that makes a huge difference.  Its really in the angle of the baby (check out spinning babies.com to see where your baby is now and how to get it Right Occipital Anterior) and all about luck- how short your perineum is and the angle the baby approaches it.  It also can't hurt to have them use some vitE oil and warm compress massage just before you start crowning.  Also, don't push while you're crowning, just let the tissues stretch even though w/o an epidural they call this the "ring of fire"!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Wow, hugh, that is amazing. I am 14 weeks today and have only gained 1lb. I have heard that you do most of your gaining in the second trimester.

Sections
Shortcuts