January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

pitt.. good to hear the pillow at least made you more comfortable even if it didnt get you more sleep. 

clc... we did a combo of BRU and Amazon and I thought it worked very well.  There are some people that really like to go to the store and others who really like to just order stuff online.  It also offered the opportunity to find better deals than BRU pricing and a wider variety.  I found for us it was also dependent on the types of things you were registering for.  We registered for some cloth diapers, and the BRU selection is really narrow, so Amazon was way more useful for that.  Also, things like the Ergo were priced better on Amazon.  We didn't register for too many toys or clothes, but both had better prices and selection on Amazon.  In fact the "gender neutral" clothing selection at BRU is really small where as I was able to find good prices on onesies, socks, etc on Amazon. 

Last piece of advice, even though you didn't ask for it, don't register for swings, exersaucers, etc.  Check out consignment shops for those.  They are super expensive new and really affordable slightly used.  The exception I made was that we got a new high chair ... I figured they get pretty gross and I'd like to start fresh on that.  There are so many things that you really do need (bottles, breastfeeding supplies, etc, etc) and it all adds up ... so if someone is going to be nice enough to buy me a gift, I wanted it to be things that I really needed.  I know you are on the cape ... so check out the spring sale sposored by Children's Closet:  http://thechildrensclosetsale.webs.com/ They have not announced the date for the spring sale, but it should be before you're due (June, right?)  At their fall sale I picked up a swing for $25, bobby pillow for $5, baby bath tub for $5, fold-up portable high chair for $5, and tons of clothes.  They had about 10 pack n' plays, strollers, high chairs, bath stuff, swings, bouncer seats, play mats, etc.  Also, big bins of onesies, socks, bibs, blankets, etc. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I ditto the consignment sales, also great for the second ones you are getting for grandmas house.

and register for breastfeeding stuff if you are planning to, diapers, and car seats bases and other random things. Some people (usually other new moms) are really happy to buy those things, and if not you get the completion coupons, which help!!

I also registered at magic beans. Although I have a BRU close to me, I like that at magic beans you can touch and try everything on. plus I love small businesses. their website is easy to use if that is of interest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi Ladies. Congrats to all of you and I hope for very healthy & happy pg's!
    I'm am really early along and nervous that even looking at this board will jinx me, but I'm curious if anyone used the Harvard Vanguard midwives at NWH? I found out with my chemical pregnancy in November that my gyn doesn't actually handle pregnancies so I need to find a new practice. I definitely want NWH and would like at least to have the midwife option and I'm not sure if that practice is a good choice or if I should go elsewhere. Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hi ladies,

Congrats and welcome, cici! Very exciting! I'm using HVMA, but planning on an ob delivery, so unfortunately I don't have any midwife info for you.

I hope all the cold-stricken ladies start feeling better over the weekend. I had my first pregnant cold right before the holidays, and man did that thing linger. Not fun.

clc, great photo and congrats on a healthy ultrasound! I think it's really cool that you guys aren't finding out. Seems totally normal that you and DH had pangs of "maybe we should've found out" - but it sounds like you're happy with your decision, and I bet you could still find out if you decide you really want to (would the tech have made a note of the gender? Or if you really were motivated, you could pay for an ultrasound at one of those private places...)

We are working on our registries right now - we've registered at Buy Buy Baby and for a couple of bedding items at Pottery Barn (I was obsessed with a particular line and decided to go for it). There's only one BBB in MA - in Braintree (and another in Nashua - tax-free!) - but we really like it. There are a lot of them in NY and the midwest (and probably elsewhere), and the MA and NH locations are apparently their first forays into New England. We find the store layout to be much easier to navigate and the employees are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I don't get the same "holy crap, toomuchbabystuffcan'thandlethis" feeling that I often get at BRUs. Also, you can use unexpired Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupons there (with a few limitations). So far we're happy with it.

I know all of these questions have probably been discussed to death on the boards, and I'll do a search, but since we're in the throes of registering...

- opinions on baby monitors? Is the video function worth it, or is audio-only enough?
    - has anyone bought one of those strollers that converts from a single into a double for their first child? We saw a cool-looking one that starts as a single stroller, is compatible with Chicco infant carseat buckets, and you can snap in a second seat for a second child down the road. But it costs $500, so....yeah.
    - on the stroller subject, does anyone have a particular rave or rant about anything?
    - Medela Pump in Style vs. Metro?

Thanks, ladies. This stuff has been making my head spin for the past week or so. Oh, and I totally agree with Boston about buying certain equipment used. So far I've picked up a nearly-new swing and bumbo off craigslist for a fraction of their retail cost, and am thinking about a jumperoo and changing table, too (25% of the full price). Btw, I am so proud of myself for having finally mastered the differences between bouncer, exersaucer, jumperoo, swing, bumbo....felt like a new language at first.

Happy Friday, everyone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Tang... I totally laughed about the "new language" comment ... I so agree!  DH is still befudled by it all.  bumbo what?  and then I looked back at my own post and realized I spelled boppy wrong.  ... I remember when I was first searching for prices/reviews and I couldn't even figure out how to spell half the things I was looking into (had just heard word of mouth from friends).  Which by the way ... having friends (either in real life or here) is so essential when picking out what you want.  Do you really use a bottle warmer?  do you really need the drying rack for the bottles/pump parts?  etc etc (btw ... I got a resounding yes to both of those questions from 2 different BFing  friends)

I don't feel fully qualified to answer your registry questions since our LO isn't here yet ... but for the monitor there was a lively debate a few months ago and I remember people saying it was not entirely necessary, but that the video feature was useful when they got older and started getting into trouble in their cribs.  We have repurposed a wifi webcam with an ipod app (under $100) rather than buy a baby-specific monitor.  As for the stroller, we've opted for a used snap-n'go for when she is in the infant seat and a Combi Cosmo stroller for once she can sit on her own.  I was a little surprised how heavy the Combi was once we got it home and out of the box, but it is lighter than a jogger.  We liked the stroller that had a full bar to push by rather than 2 handles, as they seemed to be more sturdy.  Can't help with the pump, I got a super good deal on a hospital grade PJ's comfort pump through work, a good but not common brand. 

GL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

Tangerine - I didn't feel that Buy Buy Baby was that different then BRU but I am happy that BRU has some competition now. 

On monitors, I'd register for a video.  You won't need it right away but at 4-6 months when you are sleep training or the baby is trying out rolling around, it's nice to be able to check and see if crying is really crying "Help me I'm stuck" or just testing out the cool new sound I can make.  We got one when DD1 was 2 and we moved her into a big girl bed.  I wanted to make sure she wasn't getting into trouble and also once her new siblings went into their cribs I wanted to make sure she wasn't "sharing" her blankets and pillows with them.

Thing I wish I'd done differently when I registered are:

I would have registered for a convertible car seat in addition to the infant car seat.  They are in the infant seat for so short a period and convertible car seat are expensive.

I would have gotten a snap and go stroller and an umbrella stroller and left it at that.  We almost never used our huge graco stroller.

The only furniture I would have gotten is a crib, VERY comfy glider with foot stool and a dresser that the changing pad could fit on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

cici- First off congrats! I am actively TTC and don't have any pregnancy experience yet (hopefully soon) but I highly recommend the midwives at Harvard Vanguard. I've been going to a midwife for the last 11 years and I really have enjoyed my er...lady visits. Well as much as you can!

I have seen more than one of the other practitioners in the OB/GYN and I really loved them all.

Good luck...I also have the choice between NWH and B&W down the road.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

As for the registry, as a mom I cringe at BRU registries.  I hate when that is where people are registered because the prices there are extraordinarily higher than anywhere else.  For example, the bouncer seat I want is $43 on amazon, $45 at target, and at BRU? $60!! And even with my 20% coupon it will be much higher.  They are convenient because they have so much inventory and many locations, but I have heard tons of horror stories about their customer service. They were awful with my baby furniture for baby #1 too and I vowed never to give this baby-factory giant my business again!  That being said, for baby #2 I registered at Target, but will fill in with items from Amazon for things I don't get.  I also get coupons to buy buy baby which has some good deals and a good selection, and the occasional BRU 20% off coupon will be used to fill in items I don't get! I figure if someone wants to spend $50 on us, I would rather they get more for their money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks Miss Wolff! That's what I was hoping to hear. I am also considering switching my primary care there for convenience. Do you go there for that as well and have any recommendations?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Wow all this talk about registries is perfect timing! DH and I just got back from BRU- we set up a registry and only selected a very few items so far. Despite the negative comments on BRU, I chose it because there are lots of locations, and the majority of our family is not comfortable with making online purchases...old school, yes.

That being said, we will also set up a Buy Buy Baby registry too- they have a much wider in-store selection and somewhat lower prices. We will do that on Thursday after we have our u/s and find out the sex.

Also, we are going furniture shopping with my parents tomorrow...I'm hoping to order soon...I have some irrational fear that furniture won't arrive in time...but I'm only 17 weeks right now. Don't worry....my pre-pregnancy brain was just as anxious :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, I would hope that furniture doesn't take 23 weeks for delivery ;)

I think I am at my last weekend with my beloved jeans. We are going out to dinner tonight with 3 couples and only one knows about the pregnancy. I bought an open cardigan that is perfect for hiding it....but I don't think I will be able to tonight. I am 11 weeks, so I feel comfortable telling people now.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Hope everyone is feeling better, sounds like lots of people have colds. So far, I've been lucky on that front.

Lil - congrats on passing the half-way mark!  it seems to be going quickly but not sure it feels that way to you! I'm scheduled for the 19th (my due date) but they'll move it to the 12th if they get a cancellation- my doctor only works certain days. It's definitely not my preferred course but I'll do whatever they tell me is safest for me and the baby and if that's a c-section, ok by me. Really hoping to not go into labor before the scheduled date though....

So far, I haven't thought much about who the baby will look like. I'm just so excited about the idea of having a baby at all. I have wondered if I'll be sensitive to comments about who the baby looks like as he/she gets older. Does it ever bother you? I'm also starting to wonder how to tell family who don't know we used a donor egg. DH's family doesn't know and my parents don't know. It's not a secret, we just didn't know how to add that to the we're having a baby news. Did most people know before your DD was born?  Both my and DH's parents are in their 80s so I think any donor egg discussion will be like science fiction for them : )

Tang, love that you mastered the baby lingo, between all the gear and the different manufacturers, it is like a whole new language!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: January Pregnancy! : Maybe you're right.  We have "codes" for the type of time we're taking if we're out of work, and when I submitted the FMLA "sick time" code for the couple of days I was out before DD was born it was rejected and my FMLA didn't kick in until DD's bday.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    I think it not only depends on the employer's contract/policy it also depends on EXACTLY what your doctor puts on the form.  I have a coworker who got to use 8 weeks of her saved sick leave as paid maternity leave while I got to use 12 weeks because I had my cardiologist fill out a form about my heart in addition to my OB.  It's not really fair (since my heart is fine, just weird), but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I have to tell you guys my encounter with a complete stranger in Starbucks yesterday.....

Now, to my defense (and I really don't have to defend myself) I had just eaten a big lunch and was bloating/showing a little and this is what I got:

Stranger: Ohh, are you expecting?
    Me: Uh, yes, actually I am.
    Stranger: How far a long are you?
    Me: Almost 12 weeks.
    Stranger: WHAT?!?!?!?! You popped at 12 weeks?!?!?
    Me: Um, yeah I guess so??
    Stranger: Are you having twins??
    Me: Not that I know of...
    Stranger: Oh, well maybe you are just having a really big baby...
    Me: I sure hope so!!

Then it was my turn in line...and I left feeling huge...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Wow, Liz-  people are idiots!!! Unbelievable.

Cici- I've been going to the Harvard Vanguard location in Post Office Sq. I see Dr. Angelique Uhlmann for primary care. She is great and I also love her nurse practitioner on occaision who I also really, really like.  I don't know if she is accepting new patients but it's worth a call.  I don't know if you were looking for downtown Boston locations though? Unfortunately I don't know anyone at any other location. If you need anything else let me know. GL! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Ladies. Congrats to all of you and I hope for very healthy & happy pg's! I'm am really early along and nervous that even looking at this board will jinx me, but I'm curious if anyone used the Harvard Vanguard midwives at NWH? I found out with my chemical pregnancy in November that my gyn doesn't actually handle pregnancies so I need to find a new practice. I definitely want NWH and would like at least to have the midwife option and I'm not sure if that practice is a good choice or if I should go elsewhere. Thanks!
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

Cici, I saw the Harvard Vanguard NMW for DD and am going back for this pregnancy, and delivered at NWH.  I go to the West Roxbury practice, where there are three that cover NWH, and I've liked them all.  I know both Dedham Medical and Wellesley are part of the same bigger practice.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good morning, I think I've started to feel the baby move but I'm not totally sure.  Every now and then it feels like a little bubble pops and it's usually a few of them all clustered together and then I won't feel it for a few hours again.  Does that sound like others experiences?  I'm just over 18 weeks so I'm in the right time frame at least.

Also, we had out US last week and the tech said the baby was measuring 9 oz.  I was looking through What to Expect yesterday and at 18 weeks the baby should be about 5 oz.  I'm a little concerned that I'm going to have a HUGE baby on my hands.  Anyone else have their baby measure really big around 18 weeks? I'm going to ask my OB but I don't have another appointment until the 23rd. I got a little freaked out about how a huge baby is going to fit out that little opening!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

clc - The sensation of bubbles popping at about 18 weeks is probably the baby! So exciting that you are feeling it already!  It will come and go over the next few weeks but you will likely notice it more and more as you get closer to 22 weeks or so. For my first pg, I felt the "bubbles" sensation at about 19.5 weeks, but didn't really feel anything consistent until 22-24 weeks.   It's really a fun time, enjoy!  Regarding your measurement question, definitely ask your OB, but I don't think you need to worry about it in the meantime.  The measurement predictions they give at the u/s can be really inaccurate.  They told me at my 18 week ultrasound that the baby was on the bigger side, and I was all freaked out too (don't remember how many oz they said she was but I remember doing the same thing you did, googling it, and freaking out that she seemed big).  My OB was not concerned at all, and in the end, my DD was born at 6.5 lbs, which is on the smaller side!  It's so exciting to find out any information you can about your baby while you are pregnant but keep in mind that the weight measurement during u/s is just a prediction, and, especially at not even halfway pregnant, so much can change about the size of the baby and the position of the baby that will impact delivery that it's just not worth the stress at this point, IMO.

AFM, 9.5 weeks with baby # 2, and just counting the days until I am in the second trimester. I really can't wait to be able to share the news with our DD and the rest of the world.  This past weekend we were asked two separate times when we were planning to have our next child, and we answered very vaguely "soon, we hope."  I am taking a vow NEVER to ask anyone that question ever again - it's seemingly innocuous but really it's a very personal and rude thing to ask someone else. I'm sure there are a variety of snappy answers I could have given but I really just wanted to redirect the conversation elsewhere since I have a terrible poker face and really didn't want to give anything away. I'm totally superstitious and don't want to tell anyone our news until I am 12 weeks so have to get through another few weeks of avoiding these questions.  We have our u/s on January 30 so at least I have a firm date to countdown to in my head.     

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Rama - funny you say that about people asking if you're going to have another.  We had family visiting yesterday and my husband's cousin asked if we were giong to have more.  He was sort of evasive, then a couple of hours later he decided he wanted to tell them (which was fine, I'm ok if they know).  She was like, "you JUST told me you weren't sure!!"  :)  It's very hard to keep the secret.  Like you, it's not something I will EVER ask someone.

We did the big reveal to our parents this past weekend.  I bought DD a "Big Sis" t-shirt and we shared the news that way. It was funny to see the looks of dawning realization on our moms' faces, and confusion on my mom's boyfriend/DH's dad.  DH's dad didn't even get it after it was explained to him.  In fact, I'm not sure he gets it even now.  He didn't say a single thing.  Just went back to watching TV. He's so weird.  I think everyone was happy, but (like us) sort of overwhelmed since we've been using strictly family members (i.e., the grandmothers) as caretakers.  My mom kept saying, "... but how are we going to do TWO??"  Which is pretty much how I feel.  I think we're going to look into part time daycare for DD.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

ETA: Liz, it never ceases to amaze me how little tact people have.  What person hasn't figured out you don't ask a stranger if she is expecting! What if you weren't!  Ugh. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Liz - That is so rude!!!  People say the stupidest things.  I have no idea if you specifically have "popped" or not, but a lot of people experience bloating early on.  What can ya do?!
    I told my first friend/co-worker at like 7 weeks because she flat out asked if I was having luck in that dept.  Her response was "I knew I noticed your tummy last week!" so I said I had only gained 1 lb and most certainly did not have any more of a tummy than I usually did thank you very much!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Honestly, it makes me laugh now. But, maybe I do look pregnant, great, I am!!  Like you, Fram, I have only gained 1lb in 11.5 weeks, so they can say whatever they would like!

I have started eating Activia everyday for the past week and it seems to have helped a little, although I think it is a gimmick more than anything.

I have a major craving for a tuna sandwich and I think I might get one for lunch. Thank goodness, albacore tuna is fine in moderation!

Clc, so exciting you have felt the little bean! I am jealous. We have our 12 week ultrasound/scan on Thursday and I am so excited, albeit a little nervous.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi Cici - I go to HVMA (in PO Square) and saw a midwife who delivered at NWH.  Had a great experience the entire time!  All of the midwives at NWH are great (well, the three I saw during my three-day induction/labor)! 

[QUOTE]Hi Ladies. Congrats to all of you and I hope for very healthy & happy pg's! I'm am really early along and nervous that even looking at this board will jinx me, but I'm curious if anyone used the Harvard Vanguard midwives at NWH? I found out with my chemical pregnancy in November that my gyn doesn't actually handle pregnancies so I need to find a new practice. I definitely want NWH and would like at least to have the midwife option and I'm not sure if that practice is a good choice or if I should go elsewhere. Thanks!
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Good luck on thursday, Liz!

I told my parents this weekend, too.  I'd been feeling a little off in the afternoons for the past week (happened with DD too), so decided it was time to clue them in...also, they're two people who have been through a MC with me before, so I know I'd tell them no matter what. It was a relief to get it out there!

I was so much more nervous to tell with this one than with DD, probably b/c, like Poppy, my parents do some of our childcare, and it opens up the need for a whole new conversation abotu what they can do.  Fortunately, in the year that they've been watching her, we've been taking a "check in every 6 months" approach, to make sure they're still okay with it.  I love that they're with her so much and that she's so close to them...now we'll figure out what will happen in August and later in the fall when I go back to work. 

So feeling a little off in the afternoons, but other than that and some tenderness in my chest, feeling pretty good.  Was looking into prenatal yoga classes, and think I want to sign up for them as well as start getting back into the pool.  Exercise - other than walks with DD and running after her - has been pretty nonexistent for a few months, so time to get back at it! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

tc,
    Good luck with everything this month! I'm 22 wks with twins from DE. We haven't told any of our family or friends (minus message board people and my best gf since her son was through DS). My DH has said two or three times randomly that he wonders if the twins will resemble me at all or if people will guess (which I'm sure they would not since almost nobody would even think of it). I'm fully expecting someone to say that they look like me and for me to feel like it's totally weird, but we're not making this public knowledge. As for telling family, we've decided that we will start telling the kids once they are a few years old and once they somewhat get it, we would tell family. I don't want to say anything to them about it because to me, I want them to think of them as family first instead of "their donor grandkids/niece/nephew, etc". I'm sure we'll be visiting a social worker around that time and maybe talk to other donor families for insight.

[QUOTE]Hope everyone is feeling better, sounds like lots of people have colds. So far, I've been lucky on that front. Lil - congrats on passing the half-way mark!  it seems to be going quickly but not sure it feels that way to you! I'm scheduled for the 19th (my due date) but they'll move it to the 12th if they get a cancellation- my doctor only works certain days. It's definitely not my preferred course but I'll do whatever they tell me is safest for me and the baby and if that's a c-section, ok by me. Really hoping to not go into labor before the scheduled date though.... So far, I haven't thought much about who the baby will look like. I'm just so excited about the idea of having a baby at all. I have wondered if I'll be sensitive to comments about who the baby looks like as he/she gets older. Does it ever bother you? I'm also starting to wonder how to tell family who don't know we used a donor egg. DH's family doesn't know and my parents don't know. It's not a secret, we just didn't know how to add that to the we're having a baby news. Did most people know before your DD was born?  Both my and DH's parents are in their 80s so I think any donor egg discussion will be like science fiction for them : ) Tang, love that you mastered the baby lingo, between all the gear and the different manufacturers, it is like a whole new language!
    Posted by tc95[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I hate to complain, but do, or did any of you suffer from headaches/migraines during pregnancy?

I got about 4 hours sleep last night due to the awesome migraine that took over my body. I am wondering if it is the pregnancy itself, the lack of caffeine or that I am no longer on my migraine preventative medicine. Thankfully I have an appt. with my doctor on Thursday.