January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Wow TC!  Good luck.  I am so excited for you.  Our entire family and DH's family knows about the donor.  I can guarantee they never think about it or never think about DD being from a donor.  I have also told some of my patients if they are going through infertility b/c I think knowledge is power and it can be such a lonely process that I promised myself if anyone else is going through this, I will be there to support them.
    Donor is by far the best decision I have ever made with regards to having a family.  As I said before, I am quite sure my eggs couldn't have done better! :)

The only thing that gives me a little sadness is that I am going to start reading her books about this as well.  Our social worker said it should be part of her story and I completley agree that this is what is going to work for us.   I find no shame in the donor process at all but for some reason I feel so connected and in love with her that I just don't want her to have any strange feelings - ever.  But, I think if we make it as normal as possible we minimize the chance of that happening. 

I grew up in a family where secrets were the norm and with that came shame.  I don't ever want her to feel this way.  

I never feel sad about people not saying she looks like me.  I really never cared about passing along my physical attributes (although for some reason I wanted her to be tall - mission accomplished she is 100% for height - haha).  The only thing I really wanted to pass along was that she would be somewhat smart and that she would have a sense of humor.  I think I have some nuture on my side there.

Good luck over the next couple of days!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, I'm so sorry you are still suffering with migraines.

I know definitively that if you have been totally off caffeine for 5+ days your migraines are completely unrelated to not drinking coffee.

The effects of caffeine on migraines is very real.  But, it's effect lessens to zero when you have the same amount every day because of the nature of physiological addition and can only help a migraine if you take above and beyond what you usually have to account (only when medicinally necessary because you feel a migraine coming on) for the adjustment your body has made to accomodate your usual amount.

On the flip side, if you've had NONE for more than 5 days, your body has re-normalized to not need caffeine to keep your blood vessels at a normal level of contriction/dilation so the lack of caffeine has no more impact on your headaches.  And, to help a migraine it would take far less than it would when you were used to a certain level per day.

Your migraines are unrelated to your not drinking coffee anymore IF you haven't had ANY since you stopped drinking it regularly.

GL!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Thanks everyone for the information on Harvard Vanguard. It sounds like a good group overall so I will keep my appointment there. Just curious, if you go to a separate OB, did you inform your regular gyn or pcp about the pregnancy?

Liz, sorry to hear about your migraines! I hope you can get some relief soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Cici - when I got my BFP I went to my regular GYN (who is not an OB) for the first few visits (they thought I was miscarrying so I had several visits before they confirmed the pregnancy) until they passed me off to my OB. So they did know about by BFP.  I did not inform my PCP until I had to make an appointment for my nasty cold.  Not sure if you're suppose to inform them or not, guess I never thought about it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

cici - I go to Harvard Vanguard in Quincy for both primary care and my OB was there when I was pregnant. I didn't need to tell my primary care, because all the medical records are electronic, so it was pretty transparent, but if your primary care doctor isn't part of HV, you will have to inform them yourself. I don't think you need to make a special call to inform them, just the next time you go in, let them know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks, Kar. I actually had some coke last night because I couldn't take it anymore. That, along with Tylenol dulled it for a few hours.

I guess the best thing I can do is ask my OB. Hope everyone else is doing well :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    Thanks, Kar. I actually had some coke last night because I couldn't take it anymore. That, along with Tylenol dulled it for a few hours. I guess the best thing I can do is ask my OB. Hope everyone else is doing well :)
    Posted by lizinboston

If you're having a little bit of caffeine every few days, you've been prolonging the detox and causing the headaches.  To ensure that caffeine will not impact you at all, choose an amount and have it every single day at the same time of day.  If that's one Coke, have one Coke every day at 3:00, for instance.  If that's a cup of coffee, have it every morning.  That way, your body can adjust to THAT level of caffeine and you won't be on that rollercoaster of withdrawal.  And, if you choose to have no caffeine, go at least 5 days without it (bearing with the headaches) to detox before ever having one once in awhile if you feel a migraine coming on.  Since you'll have detoxed from the regular amount you've been having, the once-in-awhile medicinal amount will help.  Otherwise, you're spinning your caffeine headache wheels.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I don't have an OBGYN at Harvard Vanguard because I'm high-risk at BWH/Children's but my GP is at the Harvard Vanguard in Braintree and my daughter's pediatrician is there too.
    I've been thrilled with my pediatrician.  I've also had good experiences (well, as good as they can be) with nurse practitioners and other pediatricians in the practice during sick visits with her.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    I hate to complain, but do, or did any of you suffer from headaches/migraines during pregnancy? I got about 4 hours sleep last night due to the awesome migraine that took over my body. I am wondering if it is the pregnancy itself, the lack of caffeine or that I am no longer on my migraine preventative medicine. Thankfully I have an appt. with my doctor on Thursday.
    Posted by lizinboston

I've had occasional headaches, but definitely not migraines. A couple tylenol and a cold compress has done the job for me.

In other news, only 2 more days til our level 2 u/s! On Thursday we'll hopefully find out what we're having...though I'm afraid that the LO won't show what we need to see...anything I can do to make him/her active? I've heard drinking some OJ beforehand can help.

Last thing is I'm definitely sure I felt movement yesterday, at 17w4d. It was certainly nothing I've ever felt before, and it hasn't happened again...but every second I'm hoping it'll start again!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer, that's really exciting about the movement.  I'm not feeling anything consistent yet but every time I do I get quite excited.  Last night I got my first real swift kick and that made me jump.  It didn't hurt but it was more pronounced than anything I've felt before.

As for drinking OJ, I tried that for my US last week but it didn't work for our LO.  The baby was quite content to hang out and relax during the whole thing.  In fact we couldn't get the baby to move so that we could see his/her face. Maybe your LO will be less stubborn!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

If I was all comfy inside a sack I wouldn't want to move either! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I have officially hit the wall.  7 weeks and I am exhausted, I am pretty sure I look like crap (dark circles under eyes, that kind of thing), and as much as I love DD and can't wait to see her, I am looking desperately forward to 7:30 this evening when she is in bed and I can have the couch and the remote to myself.  (DH is out tonight, so no competition for the remote, woo-hoo!).  Last time I was pregnant, I wasn't working for the first 6 months, so I could read and go for long walks, and nap, and I miss it!!!!

Okay, vent over.  Far beyond the complaining, I am grateful that I have something to complain about, and am ticking the days off one-by-one as I get closer to the end of the first trimester, so I can breathe a little sigh of relief.  :) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

luv- same here on the countdown to the second trimester.  I feel exhausted, but feel like i have felt that way since DS was born.

I am acutally having paranoid thoughts that I have lost the pregnancy because I thought I remembered more symptoms at this point last time around. I have an ultrasound on Friday, so I will know for sure then, and my pants sure feel snug... but I am not sure that is all pregnancy related either :)  I also have a cold and managed to hurt myself this week, so perhaps I am just focused on other body parts...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Don't let the paranoia take over...even though it's so easy to do!  I've found myself feeling myself up during the course of the day to make sure my chest is still tender!  This first trimester thing is for the birds!  All the anxiety and nerves, and you have to be all sneaky about the whole thing, since hardly anyone even knows what's going on.  Ugh!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh and for all of you moms with donor eggs.  I have two cousins that were born via donor eggs...they are now 17 and 15, so that was back when it was far less common practice.  We were so excited that there was a way for their mom to have a baby (born with no ovaries!)...and they have known from an early age that their mom gave birth to them, but they aren't the typical birth story.  As they've gotten older, they've learned more about it...they're full bio-siblings, so they look alike, and you can see their dad in them a lot, but there are lots of personality traits and quirks that definitely mark them as part of our family even if biology doesn't! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Winter, symptoms can come and go....and then just go away like that.

I have my 12 weel scan/us tomorrow and am having all these thoughts like, what if there is no heartbeat?!! Because my symptoms went away for the most part at 8/9 weeks. But, my pants are snug, I still pee every 15 minutes, and am exhausted by 9pm. Honestly the only symptoms I ever had were feeling a little grossed out by food and exhaustion. I never, ever had breast tenderness, which it seems like everyone gets.

Try to think positive. Like my friend said, no point in worrying until you actually have to worry.

I am jealous that you have actually gone through it. But, it seems like no matter what number pregnancy, there is alwasys some anxiety.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Best of luck with the upcoming ultrasounds, Liz and Winter.  Hopefully all of your fears will go away after seeing the little one!

Luv - I was totally feeling myself up all day at work during the first tri.  I'm lucky I didn't get caught, that could have been an awkward HR situation!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Good Luck with all the upcoming u/s!  I love having u/s.  I could watch that screen ALL day!

Also am still wondring is this real?  LOL...I really dont have any symptoms and if I didnt have the u/s I wouldnt know that I am preggers.  Im 13 weeks today.  Am I in my 2 nd tri-mester?  There are so many conflicting anwsers out there.  I asked my doctor she said at the end of 12 weeks.  But when I read online many sites say 40/3=13.3.  So I guess I have 3 more days...I guess Ill just go with that I am in my 2 trimester!  It sounds better!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

pugs, the start of week 13 is the end of your first trimester...I think. You are totally in the safe zone now, so congrats! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Hi everyone!  Our little girl arrived on Saturday!!! :o)  She is absolutely adorable and we are in heaven. 

It was a super quick labor and totally not "by the book" .. In fact I wasn't sure I was in labor until about an hour before she was born.  I had a dr's appt on Friday where he said I was 1cm and super thin, but really no change from the last two appts.  I asked him to strip my membranes and he said ok since I was less than a week from my due date.  On Saturday I was in full nesting mode, but had been planning on doing most of the cleaning/prepping anyways so it did not seem unusual that I was running around getting everything ready.  DH was in Boston for most of the day and so I was just doing my thing around the house.  I decided around noon to take 1oz of the castor oil that my friend handed me ... and by 3 or 4 I was feeling its effects, but no contractions.  Around 6 I got really cranky and had what I assumed was fairly bad gas pains from the castor oil (wasn't complaining though since I'd done it to myself).  I started making dinner around 7 knowing that DH would be home 8ish.  He came home and I was a total crank.  I told him to eat and that my back was hurting and I had gas pain ... and that I wasn't interested in sitting and eating.  He immediately started to ask if I was in labor and I just barked back to leave me alone that I felt like my intestines were going to explode ... but I agreed that it could be the beginning of labor.  So for about half an hour I just walked around the house, occaisionally taking a bite of dinner and getting my bags packed just in case.  Over the next hour the gas pain and back ache started to get more severe and started to come and go in waves ...so then I was actually thinking "ok this might be it" and i was getting pissed because I hadn't taken a nap or had a good lunch ... and now I was looking at being up all night in labor with not much sleep and an empty stomach ... not how I would have chosen to plan it.  Anyways... called the doc and was having trouble describing my symptoms or how far apart things were happening, so he said he was on call and at the hospital so he was happy to see me or I could wait and time things for a little longer.  About 20 mins later I realized that my "back ache" was getting a lot stronger every 4-5 mins and that I was having to start bending over a counter or couch and rocking a bit to deal with it.  So... called back the doc and said we were coming in.  Got in the car about 10:35 for the 15 min trip to the hospital.  About half way there I had the worst urge to go the bathroom... but just told DH to get there faster.  We parked and I managed to walk into the ER entrance and a very nice nurse showed us the way through the ER to the elevators.  Longest elevator ride of my life ... made it to the L&D registration and decided that I needed to stop at the bathroom before I could sit down to check in.  Handed DH my wallet and told him to get started and that my insurance info was in there.  Tried to go to the bathroom, but was just uncomfortable ... so headed down the hall for registration, got half way there, had to vomit, headed back to the bathroom.  Now it is 11:00, change of shift and all the nurses are right at the desk watching this.  They see me head back to the bathroom and are on high alert ... wanting to know if I'm ok... about 2 minutes later I realize that I'm not ok and call for help.  Within 30 seconds there are 12 nurses in the bathroom and they are paging any available doctor.  Seriously thought I was going to have the baby on the floor in the bathroom, but one of the nurses realized we did in fact have a little time so I remember about 6 arms reaching down and pulling me onto a stretcher and a very surreal trip down the hall watching the ceiling tiles go by.  We get to the first open L&D room and they get me into bed.  At this point I can hear my doctor (who thank god was covering that night) and suddenly realize that this is it and we are having a baby NOW.  They had barely gotten the bottom of the bed detached and were telling me to push whenever I had the urge while at the same time scrambling to get a monitor on the baby.  I had an overwhelming urge to push but for whatever reason was hesitant to go with it because of the state of shock and not realizing that I was in fact already 10cm and ready to go.  All of a sudden everything clicked and I just though "ok... I can do this" and in 2 pushes she was out.  DH said every vein in my neck was bulging and I looked like the incredible hulk.  In the end, there was no time for any meds, not even an IV, and we signed all the consent forms after the fact.  After everything had calmed down the nurses asked if I had planned a natural birth and were actually a little relieved that I had.  Although I would not cut it that close by choice, it wasn't a bad way to have a baby :o)

Abigail was born at 11:13 Saturday night 7lb 20.5in with short blond hair... and in my very biased opinion absolutely beautiful and perfect.  We stayed until Tuesday morning and they were a little concerned because her weight dropped to 6.5lbs, but today at the pedi's she was up 1.5oz from her discharge weight. 

DH has been absolutely wonderful and exceeded all my expectations of how he would handle the events. I think the fact that it was sort of an "emergency" situation was actually easier for him because he was in his element of dealing with total chaos. 

Thats all for now because the peanut is waking up and is going to want to eat :o)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

How am I going to sleep tonight?? Getting through work today was like Christmas eve...tomorrow is our level II u/s where we hopefully will know the gender! :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

congrats boston girl!! welcome abigail!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats Boston!!!! What a crazy story!

Good luck at your appointments today Liz & Summer!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

What a great story Boston!  Congrats on your new bundle of joy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats, Boston! What an eventful birth story! Hope you're enjoying your new baby girl.

Liz and Summer -- good luck with your appointments! Summer, I hope LO cooperates so you can find out the gender. That was the most exciting part for me so far (well, maybe tied with feeling my little guy move for the first time).

I have my 32 week appt. today. Can't believe there are only 8 weeks left. I'm getting monthly ultrasounds b/c I have chronic hypertension, but since it's perfectly controlled with medication, it just means I get to see the LO a lot more than I would have. Feeling pretty lucky about that!

Our "un-shower" as my mom calls it (since it's both men and women) is on Saturday. Thankfully it's at noon so we won't be competing with the Patriots (has a mom-to-be ever ducked out of her own shower to check the score of a game? B/c that would have been me if our timing hadn't worked out :-)). Almost all of both our (huge) extended families are coming, so it should be a great time. Also, I have to confess, I've been obsessively checking the registry to see what people have bought. Bad Arcain! But I'm just so anxious to really start getting the house ready for the LO. It just so happens our major house repairs finished last week, so once we have the little guy's stuff I can be unleashed. I hope DH understands what he's in for...

Sections
Shortcuts