January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Congrats Pitt on your baby boy! And summer, I'm so happy to hear your appointment went well. Such great news all around!

Thanks tc & lissa on the m/s advice. I haven't said anything about not feeling well so I'm hoping no one has really noticed. I'm about 6 weeks now and the constant nausea started a couple days ago. Before it was just some intermittent queasiness. I think the worst is definitely first thing in the morning and the evening, especially brushing my teeth. I can definitely deal with it the way it is now, I'm just crossing my fingers it doesn't keep getting worse.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Try a less foamy and/or different flavored toothpaste.  Scents, flavors, and textures vary widely for toothpaste and can all impact the m/s factor.

Also, at least take comfort that the sicker you get in your first trimester, the more you can be assurred that your pregnancy is progressing nicely because the hormones that are causing m/s are continuing to build.  Women who don't have symptoms can have healthy pregnancies, too, but if you're getting sicker and sicker, it's a very good sign things are progressing as they should.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Congratulations Boston, Pitt Summer!

Just a quick note - GC - the recommended 140 HR is old and does not have any bases so I think it is ok to not worry about this.

I did a body combat and body pump class the other day and felt great (21 weeks) . I think unless there are other reasons not to, continuing your regular physical routine is fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Pitt!  Enjoy every moment with little Brendan!  Summer, that must be so relieving to see your little girl moving all around and to get a mostly all clear from the doc.

For exercise, certainly go by what your doctor says, but I continued to do cardio kickboxing until 3 days before I gave birth.  I certainly was slowing down in the last few weeks and I couldn't do all of the core work towards the end, but I tried to do what I could.  It felt good to move and it made me feel good about myself that I could still do most of what I could do pre-pg.  It helped that my instructor was also pg and was able to give me some rough guidelines of how things should feel and what to watch out for.  Her guidelines are that you should still be able to talk (a good measure of exertion without having to count your HB), if I was feeling round ligaments stretching I should slow down (felt like a sore muscle on the underside of my belly, relevant to core work), and that you should not have both feet above the level of your heart. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Congrats, pitt!! Such great news, and I'm glad you and Brendan are doing so well.

And summer, that's fantastic about your appointment today. So glad you got reassuring news.

Boston, thank you for the list of newborn essentials and things to bring to the hospital. I totally copied and saved it in my "baby stuff" folder...I know I'll be going back to that when I'm packing my hospital bag in a couple months!

About exercise, just chiming in with the other ladies that it's all about what your doctor tells you. Mine told me no restrictions; that I should keep doing what felt good. I'm 28 weeks, and have been slow-jogging/fast-walking on the treadmill, lifting some weights, and will start prenatal yoga tomorrow. I jogged for awhile last night, and oh man did I have some sore ligaments later on...was having trouble walking properly last night, which probably is my body telling me it's time to do mostly fast walking. I was a runner before getting pg, so I've been trying to stick with it at least somewhat. I was doing lots of elliptical earlier in my pregnancy, and then suddenly realized that my butt was getting bigger - ! - so I went back to the treadmill Wink.

Also, just a quick thing about morning sickness - kar is right when she says "Women who don't have symptoms can have healthy pregnancies, too, but if you're getting sicker and sicker, it's a very good sign..." - but statements like that ("can have") freaked me out early on, since I had zero morning sickness. Just a shout out to any ladies who are worrying about that - not having morning sickness doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I barely had any morning sickness as well, just felt gross, but no vomiting. I know many, many women who breezed through their pregnancies without any symptoms and have perfectly healthy babies. But yes, it is sort of a myth, the sicker you are the healthier the pregnancy.

Question: Does the peeing frequency go away at all in the second trimester? I pee about 2-4 times for every 8oz I drink, so if you do the math, I am peeing what feels like constantly! It is even hard to bring the dog for a walk because I end up having to pee so bad that it is painful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats on the good news, Summer.  How relieving!

Cici - I only had a few weeks (I think it was around 7-9) where I felt sick but never ended up vomiting. Carbs were my saviour for those few weeks. Several days I ended up with a bagel for lunch because it was the only thing that was appetizing.  And oyster crackers were great for snacking throughout the day.

Liz - I've noticed that my peeing has slowed during the day but I'm still going several times at night. Also, the urgency has decreased during the day.  During the first tri I had moments where I had to quickly get to the bathroom because I thought I would burst.  That doesn't seem to happen as much anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

liz and clc, how much do you guys drink during the course of a day? I know we're supposed to get at least 8 glasses of water per day, if not more, while pregnant, so I've been shooting for that (not always succeeding, but usually pretty close). But I don't really find myself peeing more than usual, and haven't noticed it throughout my pregnancy. I had a phase a couple months ago when I was getting up once during the night, but now that almost never happens. At 7 months, I'd think I'd be getting up at least once a night. I told my doctor about it, and she said it's rare but nothing to worry about...anyway, just wondering if I'm missing the boat and you ladies are being dutiful about chugging like 14 glasses of water a day! *slugging down my fourth huge glass...*

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I drink about 6-8 glasses of water or juice a day. I have started to get up around 2 times a night to go as well. I have a water bottle at work and just always fill it up, so how much I really am getting, who knows. But it's enough to make me go constantly. The most annoying thing is when I go, and then literally 5 minutes later, I have to go again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Liz - in my 2nd trimester, I peed totally normally*...and only the last few weeks of the third trimester I noticed an increase - mostly because the baby's head was right on my bladder. 

*with the exception of night-peeing which lasted for the entire 42 weeks of my pregnancy! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE] Also, just a quick thing about morning sickness - kar is right when she says "Women who don't have symptoms can have healthy pregnancies, too, but if you're getting sicker and sicker, it's a very good sign..." - but statements like that (" can have") freaked me out early on, since I had zero morning sickness. Just a shout out to any ladies who are worrying about that - not having morning sickness doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong!!
    Posted by Tangerine5[/QUOTE]

I second the part about no morning sickness...I only had it for about a week, and it relatively mild, and early on.  It suddenly went away, and that made me so nervous that at my first OB appt at 8 weeks, I asked for an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok. So far so good, don't panic if you don't get M/S!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I have heard about the morning sickness/healthy pregnancy theory before but most women I've known have had minimal issues. Or at least most do not talk about it. I thought it would be like a stomach bug or severe hangover where you just can't stop vomiting and have no control over when and where it happens and I read that you should try to schedule "vacation" time from work to deal with it. But it sounds like it's not typically as bad as I have been anticipating. We haven't told anyone but my mom and I don't go to the doctor for almost another month, so I haven't really been able to ask around. Thanks for all the info, ladies!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]The most annoying thing is when I go, and then literally 5 minutes later, I have to go again.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

That sounds just like me. It's so annoying!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Tang - I don't really keep track either.  I have a water bottle at work (16 oz) and I make sure that I finish it 1 1/2 - 2 times a day.  Then I have a glass of water or milk with dinner. Finally, I have a water bottle that I keep in my bedroom (24 oz) and I drink about half of that before bed and sometimes more throughout the night.  I know that this is why I pee all night but I can't help it, I'm so thirsty at night.

I've had two nights throughout my whole pregnancy where I didn't get up to pee and they were glorious. If I was getting enough water during the day I would try to cut down on the evening drinking but that's when I seem to be thirsty so for now I'm going to keep it up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

My biggest adjustment has been the tiredness.  It hits right around 3 PM like clockwork every day.  I just push through it at work, and again once I'm home with DD (15 mos), until DH gets home and I can sort of collapse on the couch.  He's been great, especially on weekends, getting up with her so I can lay in bed a little longer...and on the weekends, I nap when she does, which is heaven! 

Right now I'm just wanting to get through this week.  It was two years ago this week that I miscarried my first pregnancy, and I want to get past that date...gives me a little anxiety that the timing is so similar, so I'm hoping that once I get through this week, I will feel more confident that this one is sticking. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats, Pitt, and glad to hear the positive news, Summer!

RE: morning sickness, I've heard the theories, but in my experience and those of others I know, it doesn't seem to play out. I felt sort of nauseous for a lot of my first trimester, but it was never incapacitating and I never came close to throwing up, and I've had a very healthy pregnancy so far (33 weeks).

To all you ladies who get by only peeing a couple times a night, I envy you! I've always probably overimbibed water -- I have a 24 oz bottle that I fill and finish probably 5x per day at work, then I drink another 4 or 5 glasses between getting home, dinner, and bed. The crazy thing is, I think my body has gotten so used to this that I actually start out most mornings feeling dehydrated, though needless to say I'm up 3-4x per night to pee.

So I guess the lesson is, as long as you're meeting the minimum requirements and not getting dehydrated, don't get too crazy on the water, lest ye meet my fate :-).

Speaking of peeing, I'm about to take the T home from work for the first time in several weeks (we've been driving most days) and I'm not optimistic about my ability to make it. I just keep thinking of Jenn's story from a few months ago about suddenly having to go while waiting for a train and dealing with a mean station worker. Here goes nothing...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Luv - Hope you feel reassured soon!!

Tang - I've never kept track of how much water I drink, but other than a cup of coffee in the morning, it's all I drink all day.  During my first trimester, I would get up once at night to pee.  After that it went back to normal until the last couple weeks when I started waking up again.  I would say I peed slightly more than usual, but nothing drastic... Unless I have conveniently forgotten :o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

[QUOTE]Congratulations Boston, Pitt Summer! Just a quick note - GC - the recommended 140 HR is old and does not have any bases so I think it is ok to not worry about this. I did a body combat and body pump class the other day and felt great (21 weeks) . I think unless there are other reasons not to, continuing your regular physical routine is fine.
    Posted by luckinlife[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my trainer told me the same thing, but since ACOG hasn't amended that, it still messed with my head a bit!  I did what felt good and I had a great and healthy pregnancy.  With very little m/s, actually -- I always felt much better after working out. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I'm glad you all have had such minor morning sickness.  With my second pregnancy (twins), I was so sick that I couldn't even last to my first appointment.  I called the office at 7 weeks and said "You HAVE to give me something for the morning sickness.  NOW!"  I lost 20 lbs in the first trimester during both pregnancies and went onto to have uneventful pregnancies and perfect babies.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

omg, dz, that's terrible.  20 lbs in 12 weeks - unbelievable!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

DZ, I was the same (first appointment put me in the hospital for dehydration at 10 weeks - one baby though, 17 lbs. weight loss). I've actually intentionally not lost the baby weight from my first pregnancy so I would potentially have it going in to a second pregnancy. Not fun, but for some reason I remember very little of it - my husband remembers the horrors of the first trimester vividly! :)

I hope none of you ladies experience that, but if you do and survive, at the end you get a really awesome prize! :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

ML - I actually mostly had "night" sickness although nothing was appealing during the day either.  I would crawl in the door from work and DH and DD would be looking for dinner and the idea of it let alone smell was enough to send me running to the kitchen.  DH isn't much of a cook so he and DD did a lot of take out while I hid upstairs to avoid the sight and smell of food. But it ends.  Although I got sick a lot in my 3 trimester too with my first pregnancy. I was lucky (I guess) that 20 lbs wasn't really bad for me to lose.  If only in the end I had kept them off!  ;-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Well, after a lovely few days of the stomach bug, I'm back online and catching up... hope everyone else is faring better!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone know of any moms-to-be groups in the Arlington, Belmont, Cambridge area??
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Liz - someone might have replied already, but contact Isis Parenting in Arlington for ideas.  We went to the drop-in play group yesterday and it was great.  I really miss living right down the street from them!  Great parenting resources.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

DZ, me too on the night sickness...I was uselessly ill after 2:30 PM. Morning was actually my most functional and productive time!

Sections
Shortcuts