January Pregnancy!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: January Pregnancy!

Just because women who don't get m/s or experience worsening symptoms over part of the first trimester can and often do have totally healthy pregnancies doesn't mean, from a scientific perspective, that it's a myth that worsening symptoms usually means that the pregnancy is progressing well.  It means that some women get sicker than others as those hormones increase.  The reason for the varying response to those hormones is unknown, but if you do experience worsening symptoms you are reacting to an increase in hormones that happens as your baby keeps developing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Luv - thinking of you this week.  Hope you are keeping busy and that it flies right by!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thanks, Poppy!  Getting through it one day at a time! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Have not been on in a while...congrats to all the new pregnancies and new babies.  Boston you have a very jealous pregnant woman here.  My first took days of induction to finally come out.  Oh how I wish for your experience with number 2. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Pitt, congrats on new baby Brendan!  Glad everything went well!  Enjoy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Poppy, I am definitely going to do the Great Beginnings class. I am a 10 minute walk from there. Just found out my friend is having a boy. I have 3 friends who have babies and one who is due in June, ALL boys! Maybe I will break the cycle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

So, I made a big decision this past week. I have been debating doing this for a long time, but for some reason figured it would be good to start before the baby comes. I have decided to do a complete career change. I haven't been too happy in my field for awhile now and feel no fulfillment, so I am starting classes on Monday for a certificate in a whole new field. I am really excited about it and should be done by next spring. So, I am taking 3 classes from now until May and then I will finish up the last three classes either in the fall or spring. My DH has been so supportive of me, because I will be taking two classes at night and one on Saturdays. It sounds totally crazy to make such a big change 5.5 months before a baby is due, but I figured if I don't get it done now, I never will!

Anyone else do a career change? It is exciting and kind of nerve-racking at the same time. I am going to hopefully start in a field where most of the people have been doing it since right out of college.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, Liz.  That is really exciting and must make you feel great. In December of last year I made a big career change two days before we closed on our first house and while it was scary at first it was absolutely for the best. I moved from a consulting job that required me to travel most of the year and work crazy hours to a smaller company that's all about family and work-life balance.  The changes I have seen in myself and in my relationship with DH have been huge.  The pay cut I took was pretty steep and hard to handle at first but what I've gained in time with my family I wouldn't trade for all of the money in the world.  Best of luck with your new adventure!

AFM, 20 weeks today!  Can't believe this little one is half way cooked!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Liz, I don't have any advice, but I want to wish you luck with your career change! I am also rather unhappy with my career path and considered changing a few years back but never got up the courage or energy to make any changes. Congratulations on taking that step forward.

CLC, congrats on reaching the halfway point! I hope your next 20 weeks are easy and fly by.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, congrats on taking the plunge instead of sucking it up forever, hating your career.  I've been there, and no matter how much you hate your job it's very hard to get up the gumption and DO something else.  I think that I read somewhere awhile ago that people tend to change whole careers about 7 times in their lives; it's not so unusual.  But, no less scary.  GL, I think you've done the hardest part...starting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Liz, I'm not pg (but TTC) and in the middle of a career change. I took a $30k paycut to leave my horrible job and am taking classes. I graduate in April and hopefully find a job soon afterward! DH is super awesome and has been supportive in every way. I think that's the most important thing--you need him to be on board with it. Other than that, you are the architect of your own life and need to do what you can to be happy. 

There's been a bit of time during this whole thing when we were eating a lot of cereal and ramen for dinner, but even with that I would never go back to what I was doing before. Do you your career change if you think it will make you happier and enrich your life long-term. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for all of the well wishes, everyone :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Liz - That's awesome that you're going for it with the career change! I think it's really smart to not put stuff off because of pregnancy or other circumstances, especially if you're really unhappy.

I've been in the market for a new job, maybe a new career (if I could figure out what!) for a year or so now. I was actually offered a new, not ideal, job THREE DAYS before I found out I was pregnant. I turned it down for many reasons, and while I feel like it was the right decision, I can't say it's been great for my mental health to have spent the last 7 months at a place I've been ready to leave for awhile. My plan right now is to start a job search while I'm on maternity leave, as soon as our little family comes out of the initial fog of getting used to each other.

Keep us updated!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was in a career I hated for 11 years.  By the last year I ended up crying every day and wishing for a severe enough car accident on the way to work every morning that wasn't my fault (crazed, drunken driver flipping the median and landing on my car, maybe?) that I'd get a long, albeit painful, time off.

To all you ladies considering changing careers because your current one isn't fulfilling, or worse, go for it.  It just keeps getting worse when you honestly hate what you're doing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I can't stand my job to the point where I am not going back to it after the baby. There is just no point if I am unhappy. Hopefully by next spring I can start in the new field. It will be a pay cut, but we are able to handle it and this way I won't dread my days ahead of me. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't enjoy going to work everyday, and I am envious of people who do.

Kar, good thing you got out of it!

Anyway, sorry this was way off topic of pregnancy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Happy Friday!  I have another registry question: DH and I are starting our registry this weekend.  I've been creating a "wish list" on Amazon for the past few months as friends have recommended items but now it's time to start actually putting it together.  Our original plan was Amazon and BRU but now that I compare prices Amazon is so much cheaper. I would like to have at least one registry that is an actual brick and mortar store because I have family members that won't purchase gifts online.  So would you suggest making a small BRU registry with a few items on it for those that don't want to go online even if they might be overpriced? Should I consider Target because their prices are more comparable to Amazon? Any recommendations would be helpful!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd register for everything at Amazon.  Your family members who aren't likely to buy anything online probably aren't that pro-registry, right?, and will buy or make you their own things, anyway.  You don't need a registry aimed at 5 elderly people...I wouldn't think.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I don't think there is a great answer to the registry question.  I registered for most items at BRU and then made a small registry at Walmart, maybe 10 items, because they were so much cheaper. 
    Well, the shower was coming up in a week and nothing had been bought from Walmart, so I switched everything over to BRU, which killed me!  But most of it was purchased.  My point is, that I tried to give people a cheaper option, because it made me feel less greedy... but it didn't work.  No harm in trying!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

clc51510 - I'm not sure where you live, but there is a Buy Buy Baby in Braintree, they are owned by Bed Bath & Beyond, so you can use either coupons there. I haven't been, but I hear it is similar to Babies R Us, so that might be another option. I had an Amazon and a Babies R Us Registry, I think having a "real" store is good for more than just Luddite relatives who don't use Amazon - some people just like to touch and feel what they are buying before they buy it, and others are last minute "ooo shoot, I forgot so-and-so's shower is tomorrow!" and buy at the last minute. 

(I frequently fall into the latter category Embarassed)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

It always surprises me because I do the majority of my shopping online, but there are still a lot of people, even young people, who won't shop online because of security fears.  They don't want to give credit card info.  Also, like Amy said, some folks will be rushing last-minute and it will help if they can go to an actual store. (I fall into that category at times, too.)

I personally prefer Target to BRU.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

We would never register at Target after our wedding registry there...it wasn't terrible, but lots of things were only online, hard to find, etc and customer service/returns there are atrocious.

This time we decided on BuyBuy Baby and BRU. After visiting both stores numerous times and lots of online searching I think we've decided to just consolidate to BuyBuy baby. BRU can be more expensive for some things, and there is a smaller selection. We and most of our families/friends live within 20 minutes of the Nashua BBB store, and people can still shop online. Plus they'll take BRU and Bed Bath Beyond coupons. BEST THING EVER: When you register there, they have a personal shopper program, where one or more store employees will walk the entire store with you, and go through all the items you might need, etc and explain the pros and cons of everything, with a scanner so you can scan things there and then that you want. For first time parents we loved, loved, loved this- it was SO helpful. And it's a free service.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: January Pregnancy!:
    [QUOTE]We would never register at Target after our wedding registry there...it wasn't terrible, but lots of things were only online, hard to find, etc and customer service/returns there are atrocious.
    Posted by summerbride09[/QUOTE]

This is the experience I had at BRU!  I'm glad you went with BBB and that it was better.  I wish there had been one of those near me when I was pg the first time!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Ditto everything Summer said about BBB. We're registered there too, and it's been great so far. The coupon thing is fabulous, and the customer service is, I think, a lot better than BBRUs. The store has never been crowded when I've been there, and their employees are knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

While I do lots of online shopping, I definitely like to have the brick and mortar option, especially for gifts. I hate paying for shipping, and when I'm buying a gift, I often like to see the thing in person before buying. AND I'm a procrastinator :) So clc, I think it's a good idea to have a small registry at BBB or BRUs (or, if you like a few things at, say, Pottery Barn Kids or Magic Beans, that's another option). I've heard not-so-good things about Target registries, so personally I would steer clear.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I agree with having a registry at an actual store for the last minute shoppers.
    I have tried shopping from Target registries rather than going to BRU and I had a terrible time finding anything on the registry in the store. It seemed store options were really limited, not sure if it's just my local Target or if it's a general problem.  But if that's normal it would defeat the purpose of having a store registry.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I'm having a very small shower, 25-30 people tops, but we will register at BRU. I anticipate that DH and I will be buying most of our baby stuff ourselves.

Sections
Shortcuts