January Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Re: January Updates

Hiccups are just movements at regular intervals.  They can be a little blip or a big kick.  The baby hiccups and that causes them to move - the end result of that move could be a big kick or a little flutter.  Totally normal and they can go on for hours and hours and definately get annoying when you are trying to fall asleep!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulatons Twin!!!!!!!!

Pugs - I really like surprises, so the only times I've seen my registry lately are when I've added something and accidentally saw an item or two that was bought.  Not that you can really be surprised when you created a list of gifts you would like!!

I think my shower is tomorrow, but they're doing their best to confuse me.  I have "lunch" plans on both days.  Even though DH basically confirmed it's tomorrow, I'm not entirely sure.  Yesterday I said, Can you please tell me to go back to bed on Saturday if I get up and it isn't really the day of the shower?

After the shower, a friend is going to snap some photos of me, DH, and the bump.  She seems to have ideas different from what I was expecting, so it should be interesting... I believe she used the words getting my clothes off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Thanks for the link Silver!  

Fram, have fun this weekend, whichever day it ends up being!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

hope the shower is fun! 

I have to vent for a minute here.  DH just informed me that for three days in early march, he has to go on a "business trip."  I put it in quotes, because it's not business, but pleasure - his team won a contest and they are going to a ski resort.  Of course this fall on my 30th birthday.  And of course I will be 9 mos at this point. 
    At first I thought it was Fri-Sun, and was going to go with him so I could spend time in the spa while he was skiing and order room service.  THAT would have been a fabulous birthday! 
    However, it's the Wed-Friday and I can't take that time from work.  So I'll be home alone, for three days, pregnant, on my 30th and I am just not okay with this. 
    thanks for listening.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Boston, I can totally understand why you're upset.  Not only is the 30th birthday a milestone, but at 9 months pregnant you could go into labor at any time.  Is your DH really okay with taking the risk of being away during that time?

Did you tell him that you aren't okay with this yet?  It doesn't sound like it's a mandatory thing; it sounds like he has an option of going or staying home.  If he really has his heart set on going, could he maybe go on Wednesday then come home Thursday (I'm assuming your birthday is Friday)?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Everyone!
    I have been enjoying reading everyone's updates but haven't had the time to write lately.  Fram, I hope your shower instincts were right!  Congrats to Twin!  Boston, I think you have every right to be upset about the timing of that trip.  If your DH is like mine, he's probably thinking you'd both be in work anyway, so what's the big deal, not even realizing what  big deal it actually is.  I'm sorry if I'm missing a lot of updates, but it's been a while and although I've been keeping up my brain is much and I'm not good at referencing without scrolling back several pages.  I do wish everyone well!!!!
    Work has been brutal and the past 6 weeks have looked like: cold for DS, ear infection for DS, his bday, another cold, another ear infection, Christmas, nasty upper respiratory virus for me, another cold for DS, now a stomach bug for DS.  Oh, and ended up applying for major promotion at work.  Super fun!  All this while my house is torn apart as we move rooms around to get the baby's room ready.  I think DS has slept through the night only twice in the last 6 weeks with all this going on.  It has been brutal!
    On the pregnancy front, in the course of 3 weeks, my complete placenta previa completely moved to no previa at all!!!!  I'm so excited b/c it was weighing on me in terms of worry more than i even realized and I feel relieved.  Plus, now that I'm getting all nesty, I don't have to worry quite as much about straining myself.  At 28 weeks, I was measuring 32 which freaked me out, but come to find out, she's transverse breech and faced a really weird way, so they believe that's what's making me a little more bulbous.  She checked out fine in the ultrasound.  I'll still have periodic ultrasounds as they continue to monitor the placenta near my c-section scar, but its looking good so far.  
    I was really surprised to hear they would be scheduling my c-section so close to my actually deliverly date.  Most folks I know with scheduled sections had them at 38 or 39 weeks and the OB originally told me 39 weeks.  Well, I guess b/c of that recent study that came out that suggests 37 weeks is now too early to be considered full term, my practice is pushing scheduled sections to between 39 and 40 weeks.  So KT, if I want Dr. Chen to do it, I'm only looking at 2-4 days before my due date.  Not sure about Dr. Kotch.  I meet Dr. Romagnoli this week so I'm going to ask her more about the timing.  Obviously, I want what is best for the baby, but last time I ended up getting induced right before 39 weeks due to preeclampsia, so I'm anxious about planning childcare and maternity leave on a date that could get changed as things get closer if my body responds as it did last time... but of course, what can I really do?  That's life! And I was also REALLY looking forward to avoiding going into labor which I'm not sure I'll avoid at 39.75 weeks, but again... that's life.  Just had a lot of wishful thinking about the scheduled-c which may have just been fantasy ;) I hope everyone is enjoying the new year and being safe on all that slippery snow and ice out there!  Happy New Year!     

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Great news MM!!  (about the previa)  Sounds like you have had quite a month.  I hope you and DS are both feeling better!

SLP - Completely understandable that you wouldn't be thrilled about those plans.  I would be REALLY disappointed if DH was away for my 30th!  We've been trying to think of something fun to do for mine...  I feel weird planning another event for me so soon after the shower, but at the same time it is a milestone!  We'll see.

Shower was yesterday and it was awesome!  I can't tell you how much it meant to see so many friends and family members.  Three of my girlfriends from college stayed over afterwards so that was fun.  Been busy putting stuff away off and on all day.  We got all of the big stuff that we needed, so needless to say I feel very relieved.  One time when I accidentally glimpsed my registry, I saw that both of the strollers were still there, so I was worried!!

MIL got us the changing table we didn't want or have room for, just like I knew she would... But I admit it has come in handy already!!  I don't know where we would have put all of the diaper stuff, wash clothes, etc.  We had to move stuff around or out of the nursery to get it in, but it works all right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

MM - Sounds like quite a month!  Good luck with the promotion, also have you looked into the night nurse any more?  Also hooray for the previa working itself out!  Interesting about the c-section, I was going to ask about when we could schedule at my next appointment.  With DD I was just about 39 weeks but she was breech so I was not worried about going into labor on my own.  Right now I am worried about the logistical side of having the baby (getting everything scheduled and set up for DD) but I guess in the scheme of things that is no big deal.  I am also worried about having my water break in the middle of the night or having contractions and not knowing when to call, all on my list of questions for the next appt.

Fram - Sounds like a great shower - its amazing how generous people are and thank god for it!

AFM DH and I are still busy renovating our other house right now but I am sort of feeling over it and would rather just lay around as much as I can.  DD got a little baby doll for Christmas and is just in love with it, I'm hoping she will be just as in love with her new sibling.  No big pregnancy news though, just trying to keep my eating under control!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

any thoughts on eating eggs over easy? I really REALLY want them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Well, salmonella won't hurt your baby, if that's what you're wondering!  It would just really unpleasant to have.  Unlike listeria, it won't pass through the placenta to the baby, so you're at the same risk as everyone else.  (Same with e.coli, for what it's worth.)

Can you find pasteurized eggs and make it yourself? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Sweet. I thought it was harmful to the baby...

I am definitely making them myself, and that's what I can't seem to get a definitive answer on is if eggs are pasteurized or not. I know Egg Beaters are, but you can only make scrambled with those. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If the eggs are pasteurized, there will be a red P in a circle on the package.  I'm pretty sure Eggland's Best are pasteurized. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Boston, maybe when the time comes he'll decide to bag the trip especially if you are having Braxton Hicks or anything else (other than the date itself, of course) that the birth is impending.  And if he does end up going, maybe it will make you feel better to think about it as more of a real business (no quotes) trip.  What might seem like a thoughtless decision to abandon you on your birthday might honestly be a wise thing to do.   Personal, non-work-related, fun stories/memories he shares with his boss can translate into higher raises, better job assignments, etc, that will pay off for the life of his career - like a winter version of the big kahuna of golf outings.  He must be prepared to play it by ear, either way, though, given the date, though, right?  I know you're just venting, but thought maybe an alternative perspective on his going might help.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Thanks, Alf! I was wondering how to tell, too...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

It isn't easy finding pasteurized eggs. DH and I wanted to find some to make a few recipes that don't cook the eggs at all, and we couldn't find any. I know I looked at some Eggland's best eggs, but  the ones I saw were not (although they do have several different "types" of eggs, so maybe some are?) We wound up not making one recipe (mayonaise) and making another with eggs from our farmshare farm. It was fine, but after all the recalls from the factory farms, I wouldn't want to risk the salmonella with grocery store eggs in a raw egg dish.

If you are cooking them over easy (or maybe let them go to over medium) you will probably be OK, even with grocery store eggs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I looked on EB's website, and a search on "pasteurized" only produced info on their liquid whole eggs so I don't think they are in the cartons.

There are sticks that turn bright red when they are the proper temp for poultry.  Would it be the same for egg yolks?  They are plastic toothpick like things...

ETA:  Here they are on Amazon:  Poultry checkers.  I really have no idea if the temp is the same between safe poultry and eggs, though.  Hm, I bet it's too hot for it to remain "easy."  Either way, these sticks are great for chicken!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oops pretty sure I've eaten eggs over easy during the past 34 weeks :o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

HCG on Friday was 142, today 585. I have an u/s on 1/28. That is so far away!!!!

I have no idea about the egg thing, but I sure do love over medium eggs and toast!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from InfiniteDreams. Show InfiniteDreams's posts

Hello. Long time lurker here. I just wanted to chime in and say that I asked my OB about eggs and he said that as long as the whites are set then they're fine to eat. I love my eggs over easy (and I eat them almost every weekend), so I wanted to double-check. Hope that helps.  =-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Who knew that eggs would bring newbies out of the woodwork?  Welcome ladies!  :o)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I crave eggs all the time and have definitely had them over-easy.  I'm eager to see what my bloodwork says... I'm wondering if I have an iron deficiency.  I'm always wanting red meat and eggs (not together though).  I'm trying to have my eggs scrambled only now though because I accidentally ate some gruyere made with raw milk :(  Well, I ate it on purpose, but I didn't even think to check the ingredients before buying.  Who knew you could even get raw milk cheese in this country!!!  I thought they pasteurized everything.  So now I feel incredibly guilty and don't want to take anymore chances.

Oh and welcome to all they new BFPs!  Congrats!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Wait, gruyere with raw milk?  Maybe I should start checking labels, too... I've just been avoiding the regular offenders (blue cheese, feta, etc.) but didn't know cheeses like gruyere could be made with raw milk.  I don't know enough about how cheese is made! 

Hi Almost and Infinite!  Stop lurking and hang out! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

The incredible, edible egg! Congrats, Almost and Infinite - thank you!! That's the best news I've heard all day. Can wait to dip some toast in some gooey yolk.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I'm at 10 weeks with #2 and now that I've been through things once already, I'm taking a much more relaxed approach about food when it comes to things like deli meats, cheese and sushi.  I had an interesting talk with the nurse who advises on nutrition and she wasn't really worried about raw sushi as long as its been prepared properly and thoroughly frozen first.  Still keep away from certain types of tuna due to mercury.

As for cheese, you are more likely to get sick of the salad bar at work or a restuarant than from a nice blue cheese from a quality cheese perveyor like Formaggio or at Whole Foods.  Ecoli and salmonella are RAMPANT in raw salad bars on stuff like broccoli and spinach.  Listeria is poping up all the time in pasturized food sources from big names.  I recall there was a problem with cheese recently though I can't remember the details.

As for deli meats, just avoid nitrates/nitrites and make sure your meat is top quality and fresh sliced.  I absolutely love the New York Deli Patrol's Fireside Roast Turkey and I'm not microwaving the shiskabob out of it just because I want some turkey on whole wheat with LTM.

I get my eggs from Pet & Jen's Backyard birds and I adore them and pay the extra for high quality organicly feed free roaming hens.  And though I haven't made any mayo lately, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.  Egg's benny and soft boiled eggs are my favorite.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Technically, all dairy products can be made of raw milk.  My parents actually go out of their way to buy all their cheese from a dairy farm that doesn't pasteurize the milk.  But, it's very unusual to find any at the grocery store these days even with blue and other soft cheeses.