January Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kerry517. Show kerry517's posts

January Updates

Guess we're a little late getting going this month. Curious to hear updates on occ and lesal, as well as everyone else. Hope all is well!!

As for me, I've had a very eventful week and a half. Despite being a rare poster, I've been meaning to put this out there in case anyone else has dealt with it. You're a great supportive group.

I'd been having swelling in my ankles for most of December but my bp was fine. Then we moved the week of Christmas and I surely overdid the unpacking and decorating. I started having increased swelling in my ankles, face and hands. Finally, the Monday after Christmas, I developed Bell's Palsy, which rendered the left side of my face paralyzed!! It's painless to me and harmless to LO but really annoying. I was on steroids for a week to try to counteract it, but I'm not sure how much difference that made. In addition, my bp started going up so I was put on bed rest about a week ago.

To top it off, while sleeping with my feet elevated to reduce swelling, I strained my neck Saturday and am having the worst pain I've had in my neck and shoulders - ouch!! I treated myself to a massage yesterday but it seems to have made things worse before they get better. My muscles actually feel bruised and sleeping is tough. Tuesday, the protein levels went up and now I officially have mild preeclampsia. I've been able to work from home so far, which is great and I have my next round of tests today (they're bringing me to NWH every other day to check on me and the baby). They're talking about possible induction at some point, but at least I'm 37.5 weeks so term.

Sorry for the novel! Hope you all are well...Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Re: January Updates

Oh man, Kerry, that stinks!  Take it easy and follow the doctors' orders--pre-eclampsia is nothing to mess with.  Fwiw, I delivered my twins by c-section at 37.5 weeks after problems with high bp for several weeks.  I never had more than a "trace" of protein, but at 37.5 weeks, my OB decided (I mean--"we" decided, lol) that enough was enough and it was time to get them out.  The babies were good weights and very healthy and had no time in the NICU.  Now at 7 1/2 months, they're still doing wonderfully (DS is crawling and pulling up already!).

In a side note, I had a Bell's Palsy once due to an illness and that was awful.  The good news is that once LO is out, all of these things should correct themselves very quickly.

Take good care of yourself and make sure your hospital bag is packed!  My guess is that you're going to have a new family member in the next day or two!  Keep us posted!

ETA:  OCC and Lesal have been VERY quiet...hopefully we'll have some good news from them soon!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

no baby yet for me!  I'm just not at work anymore, and trying to stay busy, so I'm not checking in as frequently (funny how that works!)  I've had more intense braxton-hicks and some cramping lately, which my midwife says is a good sign being that I'm a ftm and still before my due date (which is in 2 days).  I cant' remember if I posted this already, but I had a massage last weekend (1 week before due date) and she hit on the reflexology spots that can induce labor.  all evening after that I was having very strong, but not painful contractions, like 8-15 min apart.  it tapered off when I went to bed, so I'm sure I just wasnt' ready yet.  but I'm definitely going to schedule another massage if I'm still pregnant next week!  hoping if I wait until a few days after my due date it may do the trick.

kerry - I am so sorry you are going through all this, but very glad to know it will all straighten out after the baby comes.  and sounds like it will be happening soon!!  good luck and keep us posted.

occ - how are things??

rhm - how are you feeling?

how's everyone else doing here in January?? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Kerry, so sorry to hear all that you are going through.  Try to take it easy and relax as much as possible, as I'm sure (like Daisy said) that you'll have a new family member soon.

Lesal, glad you checked in....I was convinced your LO was here by now.  Take it easy and and try to enjoy these last days of pregnancy.  Pretty soon your whole world will be turned upside down, in a great way. 

Good luck and best wishes to the both of you, and OCC, if you are around, I've been thinking good thoughts for you, DH and LO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi Everyone!

Sounds like most everyone is about ready to pop!  So exciting!!! 

Kerry, Sorry to hear about the discomfort and troubles you have been going through.  I can't imagine how it must've been to move during your late stage.  I just hate moving!  Glad you are resting up now and keeping a positive attitude!

Lesal, Glad to hear your keeping a positive attitute too!  I bet you are very ready not to be pregnant anymore.

OCC, RHM and EOE, Hope you are doing well!

AFM, I had a doc appointment yesterday, but it wasn't much of anything, just weight, heartbeat, tape measure, etc.  I did have it with a midwife though.  That was interesting. She was very low key, and I like that.  I'm hoping that means she'll be a calming influence during labor.  Next appt is my GTT - I think I can wait for that one!  I've also finally pulled my finger out and made a few appointments at some nearby daycares.  I'm sure I'll get sticker shock, but I need to start sometime! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

kerry - so sorry to hear about all the issues. Glad you're close to full-term. Keep us updated on the results today!

lesal - I was soooo sure you had delivered and that's why we hadn't heard from you! Hoping it happens for you soon, but if not, another massage is in high order!

occ - hope you and lo are doing okay

trouble - I promise you the GTT was NOT that bad! Seriously, drank it down in a few gulps, tasted like flat Coke and then hung out. Done! Hope yours goes well. Where are you looking for daycares? When do you start going to the OB every other week?

AFM, doing okay. Sometimes the fibroid bothers me more than at other times. Trying to deal with it. My next DA is Tuesday AM with the new OB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Kerry, it sounds like you're having a tough time...but I'm glad that at 37.5 weeks, things can happen anytime without worrying about the LO. 

As for me, this is my first pregnancy post!  We got the BFP right before Christmas and for the past 2 weeks it's just been sinking in.  I'm about 8 weeks along right now, and have my first appt with a midwife in a couple of weeks.  So far, I'm just very tired.  Crossing my fingers that there's been no morning sickness yet...a little nausea at the end of the work day, but otherwise in good shape! 

Looking forward to this board, as I've enjoyed reading it, and have found hearing your stories so helpful so far!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Welcome luvRI - and congratulations on your pregnancy!  This forum is so valuable for helping to ease the minds of first-time-moms especially.  I love it and hope you enjoy it too (and enjoy your pregnancy!).  At your next appointment you might be able to hear the baby's heartbeat! But most often the OB/CNM can't get it until 12 weeks, so don't be disappointed  if you can't.

RHM - Sorry to hear about the fibroids still bothering you.  I really hope the pain doesn't get any worse.  Only 8 more weeks for you though, right?  You must be getting so excited to meet the LO!  Thanks for the reassurance about the GTT. One of my friends was telling me that during her entire wait she thought she was going to throw up and how awful she felt.  But I haven't once thrown up with this pregnancy and I'm not about to start now!  The end of January marks my 3rd trimester start, so I think I start going every other week at that time.  Is that right? 

Oh, and as for the daycares, I'm looking close to home so DH and I can share in the pick-up/drop-off.  We live in Sherborn, but nothing is there, so we're looking in Natick, which is directly North.  I take the train from there and DH goes thru to get to the Pike, so ideally we'll find one in a convienent location that we like.  Fingers crossed!  We have two tours scheduled for next week to start.  We're also considering an Au Pair.  DH is from England and so he has international friends and I'm hoping somebody has a cousin or niece who might be interested.  We'll see.  It would be weird to have someone live with us, but fortunately we have the room to do it if we need to.  I'm just so amazed how expensive dayare is in MA.  It must be one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive states!  It is what it is though. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

luv - welcome! Hope everything continues to go well for you.

trouble - yes, my due date is 8 weeks from tomorrow - wow! I think you're correct that you start going every other week once you hit 28 weeks. And you're right - day care is very expensive!

lesal and occ - hope you're both doing okay

kerry - what ended up happening yesterday?

AFM, nothing much but keeping busy with errands this weekend. I think we're headed to BRU to pick up the pack & play (with the bassinette feature that lo will sleep in for the first few weeks in our room) since we got some $ as Chanukah gifts and a coworker gave me a 20% off BRU coupon. Also starting to work on reconfiguring our rooms so we have the baby room set up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

hey all - don't have time to post too much, but wondering how lesal and occ are doing and if their lo's have shown up.
    I had my DA at my new OB - went okay. Just trying to roll with the punches, but I'm feeling a little "blue" with all of this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

RHM...it makes sense that you're a little blue...having to switch doctors, delivery sites, all of the things that you've been planning for these months, in mid-gear is tough and it stinks.  Now you have to reorient everything and get into this new mindset...and it's not your choice to do so. 

Was the new OB okay?  Did you share any of this with him/her?  Might be worth it to mention it next time if you hadn't...I know it might not seem like it should be a big deal, but it is, and it's worth talking to him/her about.  In many ways your birth plan has been messed with, and that's a valid concern to address!

I can't believe you're 8 weeks away...I was a lurker back last year when you and your husband were going through so much with TTC.  And now the baby's almost here! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

I don't have much time to post but you have all been so good about thinking of us. Last Monday I developed HELLP syndrome (of course) and had to deliver by c-section.  I got to see him for less than a minute and he was gone.  Because of the HELLP I had to go on Magnesium Sulfate that stuff is horrible!!!!!!!!!!! and I couldn't even get up for two days never mind see him.

He had his surgery on Wednesday and did very well.  He has been making leaps and bounds he is already of his respirtator and starting to feed which is unbelievable for a CDH baby.  He is just sooo tiny. He was 3 lb 12oz born and then went under 3 but he is back up to 3lb 5oz.   They are now looking at some syndromes that I am having a really hard time dealing with but right now I am concentrating on getting him healthy and eating.  Children's Hospital is amazing I hope none of you need it but if you do we are lucky they are here.

I will try to check in when I can.  I hope everyone is feeling well!

I hope Lesal had her baby and is doing well!

Cheer up rhm it's a bit of baby blues all will end up ok.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

onecoolchick,

Congratulations!  Wishing you both a speedy recovery's!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

occ - so glad you posted! Cannot believe all you have gone through, but glad you lo is here and seeming to do well. I know it's scary with him being so small, but my twin nephews were both under 3 lbs at birth and both seem to be doing fairly well so I hope the same for you. Hope DH is holding up okay with all of you going through this. Are you feeling better physically?

luv - I'm doing better today. Trying to focus on the fact that I'm doing well with my pregnancy so far and they are a good facility so I'm sure it will all be fine. Interestingly, I didn't meet with the OB much at the appointment - I spent most of the time with their nurse practitioner who got my whole history. I basicly only met the OB for about a minute. I'm sure I'll see them more the next time. I did mention to the NP why I was switching at this point so I'm sure she understood to some degree. I can't believe how I've got less than 8 weeks to go either - it doesn't seem that long ago that we were trying and trying with no results. Knowing that we would love a lo #2 also still makes me feel like an infertility patient in some ways. Looking forward to the day when all of this is behind us. 

Hope eoe is okay - would love to hear from you!

AFM, taking the infant CPR class on Saturday. I think DH is humoring me by going, but I know I'll feel better knowing what to do just in case and several other ladies on here had such good things to say about it (we're going to Isis Maternity in Needham).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from blushingbride1. Show blushingbride1's posts

Congratulations to you and your hubby OCC!  I'm so happy to hear this news...  I've been checking everyday for updates!  I'm so happy to hear that your LO is making leaps and bounds, that's great!

Thinking of you too lesal!  I'm assuming you've had your baby by now and I hope all went well! 

Cheer up Rhm...  So sorry to hear you have the blues, but just think, in less than 2 months you'll be holding your LO and that should make you happy!  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

OCC congratulations on the birth of your baby boy.  I hope he continues to make great strides of progress.  I also wish you a very speedy recovery.  You've been through an awful lot, so try your best to get some rest in the midst of all this.  I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and am glad your little boy has the best care available.

Lesal is your LO here yet?  Hoping that's why you've been so quiet.

RHM, your blues are totally understandable, you have to change your whole mindset about your pregnancy and birth.  I think the suggestion to talk to the new OB about it is a great one, if you haven't already done so.

Wishing all the pregnant ladies/new moms all the best.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

RHM, I love the Isis Maternity in Needham.  I go there often.  We did a class there when DD was little.  I'm sure the infant CPR course will be great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

Congratulations OCC!  I hope things are continuing to improve with your little boy.  It must be so hard trying to deal with the CDH, your recovery and all the emotions.  Update us when you can...and good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

oh, meant to ask - they mentioned that since I am AMA (advanced maternal age) that they'd want to do a non-stress test every week in the last month. I was reading online about this test and it didn't seem like I had any other risks to do this. Did any of you do this before your due date? I'm probably going to ask the OB at the next DA why they need to do this if I have no other risk factors. TIA

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

RHM, that's odd about the non-stress test.  I was AMA when DD was born and I had only one non-stress test which was due to feeling decreased movement.  I also know for sure about 5 other women, all of whom were/are AMA, ranging from 36-41 years old, and none of them had or are having weekly non-stress tests either. THe people I know of who had more frequent non stress tests had them for a specific reason like decreased amniotic fluid, etc.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I did twice weekly non-stress tests in my last two months but that was because I was a gestational diabetic (I also happen to be AMA, but I don't know if I would have had the NSTs just because of age). It's definitely worth asking.  I think there is a slim chance that AMA mothers sometimes have problems with the placenta in the final weeks and that is one of the things the NST will help diagnose.

The March of Dimes website lists a number of risk factors for AMA, including GD, pre-e, preterm birth, placenta problems and stillbirth.

Editted to add: I also was at Tufts for my pre-natal testing and high risk consult so maybe that is their standard recommendation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

OCC--Wow...you've been through a lot!  Congratulations to you and I hope that LO continues to do well.  You must've been going out of your mind when you couldn't see him for the first couple of days, but it sounds like everything is under control now and Children's is the best place he could possibly be right now.

I don't know if you've ever read this or if anyone has shared it with you, but it seems like something that may be worth reading given what you're going through right now (below).  I think, although it was written about children with disabilities, that it can really apply to just about any unexpected thing that comes up with being a parent.  Please keep us updated on how your little man is doing and how YOU are doing with all of this!  Thinking of you and your family and wishing you the best!

WELCOME TO HOLLAND

by
    Emily Perl Kingsley.

c1987 by Emily Perl Kingsley. All rights reserved

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I had weekly non-stress tests due to AMA the last month also. It was no big deal, I would go to my DA, they would put the strap around my belly, and let me sit there for ~20 minutes. Once I had to drink some juice since DA appeared to be napping, and they thought the sugar might wake her up. It eventually did, and they got the movement they were looking for. That is also where they nabbed me for my flu shot.
    I didn't have any other risk factors, but it also might have been because DD was breech at 36 weeks, so I had an external versioning to turn her around (although that didn't happen until week 38, so I'm not sure if that actually would be reason to do non-stress test the two other weeks).
    Hope that helps

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Daisy - I am not yet a parent or pregnant, but was a special ed teacher for many years.  your story was lovely and made me cry.  thanks for posting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

rhm--I am also AMA and had the weekly NSTs. It's just standard procedure for my OB practice. (In fact, I also had a high-risk OB and weekly ultrasounds at the end and I had NO risk factors except age. Again, just the procedure for my OB. They did mention that AMA mothers can have more risk for problems with the placenta and that's why they checked regularly.) I didn't mind the NSTs--I just sat and read magazines or a book. Also, I was all for all the monitoring they wanted to give me. It just meant I had less to worry about.