July 2013 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

July 2013 Pregnancy

Happy July and Hooray America! I hope it's been quiet because no one's at work this week :) Enjoy the 4th and stay safe. Anyone going to the esplanade this year? It'll be crazy down there with the extra security. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Re: July 2013 Pregnancy

Hi ladies! My baby girl arrived at 39.5 weeks and we are so smitten with her. :) Still can't quite believe it, even as she's sleeping on my chest while I write this. 

i had a really positive birth experience, though baby arrived 44 hours after the first contractions. I had been aiming for natural childbirth, but after 24 hours of 1 minute contractions, 3-5 minutes apart, I was really beat. I hadn't slept properly for 2 nights (due to pain, not anticipation). So I opted for an epidural and it was a really good choice for me. It let me sleep for a few hours, and I felt so refreshed. I really feel that gave me the energy to push and to care for mmy baby in those first 24 hours after birth. So I am grateful that I left myself that choice. My labor stalled out and I was on pitocin for 12 hours, which made me extra thankful for the epidural. I stopped dosing the epidural a couple hours before pushing, so I had no problems with being too numb to do that effectively (which had been a fear of mine). 

For the pre-epidural period, I made good use of the birthing ball, labored in a jacuzzi tub, used counterpressure on my back, and did breathing exercises. All of that helped a lot, and I was glad I had those available. 

We are doing well at home. Baby girl has some bad reflux, but other than that everything is going great. 

hope you all have a great 4th of July!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, siena!!!!  Great story - enjoy her!  :)

Happy 4th, everyone!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Siena... congrats!  What a great birth story... you sound so pleased with the whole experience, and glad you left the door open on pain meds so you don't feel any guilt or pangs now that it is all over.  24 hours of contractions every minute... yikes... that right there is a major hurdle!  You are a trooper.  Good luck with the first few weeks and getting to know her!

I am full on waddling.  Ridiculous at only 20 weeks.  We very unexpectedly went to the fireworks last night in Salem.  We parked about 15 minutes away, and I was really hoofing it (90+ degrees doesn't help of course).  I just felt like I was walking on a treadmill with a 25% incline.  I recall that from before, but not this early.  Oh well.. got a decent workout for the back of my thighs, and after some tylenol before bed, feel great today.  Still feeling the most minimal of movement, but just trying to ensure myself that all is fine.  I think we've settled on a name and I used it yesterday about something in the future.  Felt right, and I really like how it sounds together with DS's name.

Working today, but I work at home so not a bad day at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Congrats Siena and SS!  Enjoy this special time with your babies.  So happy for you guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I've debated posting this until after I have a CVS to make sure everything is ok but what the heck? BFP as of Tuesday night, and Wednesday morning on early detection kits and I got a faint line this morning too on a regular cheepo one (lol).

"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter that makes stairs"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Siena, congratulations! Enjoy getting to know your baby girl!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Northern, a BFP on ANY pg test is a postiive; you don't need to "confirm" on a brand name unless you want to...so CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU ARE PG.

ETA: not to be negative, but I should say that you know you at least were pg.  it's concerning that the line is getting fainter, but different brands do have different amounts of reagent so that could explain it, too.  I hope the one you take tomorrow shows another BFP, Northern!!! GL!  (I had a chemical pg so these things occur to me...sorry if too much info.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Northern???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Yes? Sorry, I thought your ETA was a little much. I have a 50/50 percent chance this baby is going to be affected with my disorder. We aren't really excited at this point because we won't know anything until 11 weeks so please don't go adding the at least part of being pg to this as well.  I was slightly surprised when I got the first bfp taking a test at night so I had to confirm for myself the following morning that I wasn't just imagining a line that wasn't actually there. And well, I'm a weirdo and had some of those cheap strip tests so I took it as well. But yes, the test I took Saturday morning had a very clear line.

Also, I swear the minute I get confirmation my body decides "time to have you start feeling nauseous!" lol. Drinking lots more water these days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry - I hope it works out and you know really soon that it is all OK.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations, Siena!

And Northern, congratulations, and good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, Siena!  What a great story.  Enjoy!!

IPW, hope you're feeling well.  Honestly, the heat is the *worst* when you are pg.  I felt about a million times better when pg with DS (born in April) than I had with DD (who was born at the end of July).  I was, like, immobile at the end with her.  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlmostHere08. Show AlmostHere08's posts

Congrats to all who have had new babies bless their families recently. I don't to post often, but read all the time.

Northern - All tests have different sensitivies to them. A line is a line - Congrats!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats, siena!! So glad that you had a great experience and that your LO is doing well!

Good luck, Northern; how are you feeling? At what point do they do test for the disorder? I hope everything is normal and healthy. I can't imagine the bundle of emotions you and your DH must have. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Honestly? Nervous, anxious, nauseous (ha ha). I want to feel excited but since it's only 5 weeks, it's kind of hard. Especially when we aren't really telling anyone. I want everything to be ok, but obviously it's kind of a crap shoot at 50/50. I kind of knew it would be a little hard  but still when you actually get the line it's like "holy crap this is real now". They can't do a CVS or CSV (i'm not sure the initials) until week 11 so I have another 6 weeks to go. But I booked my 8 week appointment this morning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Northern... it will be a long wait, I can't deny.  There is a lot of waiting in pregnancy it seems... but we'll all be crossing our fingers and toes for you to get the results that you and DH hope for (and then that you get speedy results after the CVS testing).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. On the plus side? I'll know super early what the baby's gender is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi - lurker here! congrats to Siena and everyone expecting!

I was chatting with a newly pregnant girlfriend who told me there is a brand new blood test they can do that pulls the baby's DNA out of mom's blood. Apparently it can test for all sorts of things and is obviously non-invasive. Northern - have you heard about this or asked your doctor? I'm really not up on how it all works or when it can be done, but thought it might be worth a mention. Apologies if it has already been covered on this board!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Northern - congratulations, and wishing the best for you.  The wait will be horrendous, but if it helps, I had a CVS and the procedure itself was literally like nothing at all and I got the results super fast.  I know that doesn't help the wait until you can have it done, but hopefully it is a teeny bit of reassurance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Poppy-I have no idea, I'll ask at my 8 week appointment (among other things). Thanks!  CVS was the most common one I had heard of.  And thank Med. What do they actually do for the test? The internet doesn't tell me much. I read 5 days for results, was yours faster than that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Northern - they use a long catheter to take a few cells from the placenta.  They use ultrasound to guide it, and depending on the position of the placenta, they either go in through the V or through your abdominal wall.  In my case, they went through the V and it was just like having a pap smear.  *If* you're interested, you can read up here, but know that it is very detailed: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chorionic-villus-sampling/MY00154

I just checked my e-mail to trigger my memory... ours was unplanned, and it was done on a Friday afternoon.  We had *partial* results on Monday - they had the results for the most common chromosomal disorders.  Then we had to wait another week for the total complete results.  I'm not sure if they could, like, prioritize certain ones if you're looking for something specific that you know is a risk?  (If you've seen a genetic counselor already, bring all that info with you.)

If you can sift through the older threads, either last month or the month before there was a lot of discussion of a test like Poppy mentioned, where it just tests your blood.  I would definitely research that.  They offered me a blood test instead on the day I got the CVS, but the test they had available was not definitive - it was pretty good, but it just gave you a % likelihood.  However, from the discussions on here, they might have an even newer test??  Like I said, ours was unplanned so I didn't research ahead of time - I wanted the totally definitive option and the CVS seemed to be the one at that time.  Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Thanks Med! This helps a lot. I've been to a geneticist and I've been "mapped" so they know exactly where the disorder is on my chromosomes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congrats Siena!!! Northern congrats and I hope the wait to your results goes by quickly.

It's fantastic finally having both twins home, but a lot of work!  I think I've been getting a max of 3 hours sleep each night and have a hard time napping during the daytime so I feel like I'm running on fumes at this point.  But I can't complain.... after such a long journey I'm just so happy to finally be a mommy and have two beautiful healthy babies.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

SS - congrats that they are both home!  Your 3 hours will increase... just believe that it will :-)

Northern... the test Poppy is refering to is most commonly called Maternit21.  Here is the link to the lab that does it (only two in the States right now... which is why it usually takes a week for results as I believe they are in California). 

http://www.sequenomcmm.com/Home/health-care-providers/Trisomy-21/About-the-Test

I had it done... very, very simple and non-invasive as its just a blood test.  From what I believe, it ONLY tracks chromosomes 21, 18 and 13, which are the ones that indicate Downs and the two Trisomy disorders.  And they can also spot the Xs and the Ys, indicating gender.  Not sure where your disorder falls on the chromosome scale... definitely worth a question to the counselor.  However, the Maternit21 is still a screening, and not 100% diagnostic since it isn't the actual DNA from the fetus.  It's pretty darn close... my results were 99.6%.  But, I'm guessing the counselor and your doctor will want you to do the CVS so they can be 100% sure, and so they can look at ALL the chromosomes and DNA.  Also, the Maternit21 is still "experiential," so you would have to pay as insurance doesn't cover it yet.  It's small... about $200-300.  But, I believe CVS is completely covered, especially in your case of a known disorder in the mother.  GOOD LUCK!