June 2013 pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Re: June 2013 pregnancy

Trouble, absolutely!  As it gets closer, I will definitely fill you in.  My practice was willing to let me go to 42 weeks, as long as I had bi-weekly non-stress tests and urines done, starting at 38 weeks...I worked with midwives, who were wiling to do as much as they could to get me the VBAC.  In the end, DS arrived 1 day past his due date. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hi ladies, it's been awhile since I've been on these boards. Congrats to the new babies and mamas that are getting close!

I'm pg with baby #2, 9 weeks or so.  So far this pg is very similar to the first time. Nauseous all the time, last time it lingered till 16 weeks. So much harder with a 2 year old!  I'm already taking unisom&B6 to help and its been great but wears off come the afternoon.  

Anyone otried zofran for nausea ( No vomitting). My midwife did say if it got worse to call and we'd talk about meds. I am going on a family vacation in a few weeks and I'd rather not be curled in a fetal position on the couch for two weeks!  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Sorry about the late update, but the twins have arrived!!!  They were born one minute apart on June 11th at 2:45 and 2:46am.  My water broke at 36 weeks.  It was around 11pm and I got out of bed to go to the bathroom.  Less than four hours later they were here via c-section.

DD was able to come home with us on Saturday but unfortunately DS is still in the NICU at Brigham.  He's doing fine, but having trouble coordinating his breathing and eating.  He takes about half of what he's supposed to by bottle but poops out from all the effort and falls asleep before eating enough.  Anyone have experience with this?  I'm told its pretty common among late premies, especially boys since they don't develop as quickly.  Trying not to worry too much but obviously I'm desperate to have him home with us. 

In the meantime trying to juggle recovering from surgery, caring for a newborn at home and finding as much time as possible to spend with him in the hospital. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations SS! Enjoy your DD and I hope your DS is home soon.  We'll be thinking of you all!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Been trying to get on here for two days... keep getting blank pages.  Anyways... congrats AJuly!  Sorry about the naseau... I really hope you don't have to go through until 16 weeks.  My SIL was on zofran and she recalls it working very well.  She has two very healthy twin boys... so no after effects.

SS... a HUGE congrats.  36 weeks is awesome for twins.  And if I recall, they were already pretty big, so I'm sure they are doing great.  Your little boy will do just fine.  Just a few extra days of special care.  I know you want him home, but best he is where they can watch him until he's strong.  Remember, he is a month early so to be expected it would take some extra coordination.  Your little lady is just ahead of the game :-)

Trouble... can't believe you are already 12 weeks.  Good lord... although I'm at almost 18... so wham, second (and in your case 3rd) pregnancies really do move so much faster. 

Had my hair done today and my hairdresser is due the exact same day as me.  Its clearly been a while since I've seen her :-)  We were both quite surprised since both of our #2 LOs were surprises.  My big ultrasound is Monday afternoon to review all the parts... since we already know we're having a boy (from Maternit21), its a bit less anticlimactic than with our DS (where we learned his gender).  However, I'm really excited to see him again, since I'm still not feeling much movement and just want to make sure everything is still going along as planned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations SS on your baby girl & boy!!  I hope you can bring DS home very soon. 

AJuly--I've heard zofran is a miracle drug for some women, but I've never taken it myself.  

IPW--hope your ultrasound goes great on Monday and you get a nice peek at your little boy.

I'm still hanging out and waiting to meet my baby. :) Have had some contractions, but nothing that escalates into full on labor. Just biding my time, trying to get some work done and wondering when she'll arrive. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Congrats SS on the twins! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ajuly, congrats on your pregnancy! It sounds like your nausea is Pretty bad. The only thing that helped me was eating continuously. like enemy's like you're in a whole other level of nausea than I was though. :(

SS, congrats'!! I hope your DS gets home soon, but it sounds like with how late you went andhow big they are that they'll be just fine. I'm sure it's terrifying and emotional regardless with one at home and one at the hospital.

Siena, it sounds like it could be any time now! Good luck!

I'm 22 weeks and had a midwifery appointment today to check on everything. Her heartbeat is strong and I'm measuring where I should. I've been having trouble managing my anxiety lately though. I woke up on Tuesday at 4:30 am in a complete panic for no particular reason. I made an appt with a new counselor that my midwife recommended. I haven't been on meds in awhile and would prefer not to go back on them if I don't have to. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

SS, congratulations on your babies!  Hope everything is going as well as possible, and hope you get to bring DS home soon!

Ajuly, congrats on the pregnancy!  Hope you feel better soon.  I had nausea when we were on vacation last year and it definitely put a damper on things.  I tried to keep eating and push through as best I could.

WPP - I will be thinking of you.  I struggle with anxiety as well, up and down through the years.  A good counselor is a great thing to have.  Right now, I use medication and things are relatively okay, but I know how rotten it feels to be in that stage of feeling like it's giving you more trouble again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, ajuly!!!  I hope you get relief from the nausea soon.  My cousin needed to take meds and everything turned out OK.

SS, congratulations to you, too!!  That preemie issue is VERY common, yes.  All three of my friend's triplets had to stay in the NICU for that (and weight) and they are totally fine, now, all caught up.  They had to have breathing alarms on their diapers for about a month, I think, after they came home.  They got set off a few times when they rolled over and they fell off giving mom a heart attack, but that is a distant memory for them, now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2010. Show sunshine2010's posts

Hello I have been following these boards for awhile and thithe you are all great! I just posted a question over on Infant and toddlers and feel brave to post over here now lol.. I'm pregnant with my second baby due in Oct. I went for my 20wk ultrasound and they said they saw a placental lake. They told me to come back in 3 wks to check on it. The dr told me not to worry but of course I do.. Has anyone heard of these or had them? Was everything ok with your pregnancy thanks in advance for any info! : )

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, sunshine!

I found this rather encouraging study on placental lakes; I'd never heard of them before, but it seems that they are no big deal.

Whole thing:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22608067

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

The aim of our study was to establish whether there is a correlation between the size of placental lakes and adverse pregnancy outcome.

STUDY DESIGN:

Target ultrasonography for diagnosis of placental lake was performed in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy and followed up in the 3rd trimester. Placental lakes were defined as homogenous sonolucent avillous lesions greater than 2 cm × 2 cm in diameter. The 109 pregnant women enrolled in this study were divided into four groups according to the size and change in size of placental lakes. Clinical characteristics and pregnancy outcomes in each group were compared.

RESULTS:

Some placental lakes decreased and disappeared, whereas others persisted. There were no significant differences in clinical characteristics among the four investigated groups. Fetal small-for-gestational-age status was significantly correlated with large placental lakes, compared to small.

CONCLUSION:

Large placental lakes were correlated with the fetal status of small for gestational age. Therefore, if a large placental lake is identified in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy, appropriate surveillance should be considered for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2010. Show sunshine2010's posts

In response to kargiver's comment:

Hi, sunshine!

I found this rather encouraging study on placental lakes; I'd never heard of them before, but it seems that they are no big deal.

Whole thing:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22608067

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

The aim of our study was to establish whether there is a correlation between the size of placental lakes and adverse pregnancy outcome.

STUDY DESIGN:

Target ultrasonography for diagnosis of placental lake was performed in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy and followed up in the 3rd trimester. Placental lakes were defined as homogenous sonolucent avillous lesions greater than 2 cm × 2 cm in diameter. The 109 pregnant women enrolled in this study were divided into four groups according to the size and change in size of placental lakes. Clinical characteristics and pregnancy outcomes in each group were compared.

RESULTS:

Some placental lakes decreased and disappeared, whereas others persisted. There were no significant differences in clinical characteristics among the four investigated groups. Fetal small-for-gestational-age status was significantly correlated with large placental lakes, compared to small.

CONCLUSION:

Large placental lakes were correlated with the fetal status of small for gestational age. Therefore, if a large placental lake is identified in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy, appropriate surveillance should be considered for the remainder of the pregnancy.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All rights reserved.

Thanks so much for the info! : ) i have a follow up in a few weeks so i will keep you posted : ) thanks have a great rest of your weekend and stay cool! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome - I hope you found it encouraging and that your pg does progress normally and healthfully.

You, too!  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

I'm late in sending my congrats (don't get to log on as much anymore now that I'm on maternity leave and home with DD) - but CONGRATS SSbride on the arrival of the twins.  My heart goes out to you for having to be in the NICU with your DS.  My DD1 was in the NICU for 22 days and it was so emotional - I can't imagine having to juggle time in the NICU and time at home with your DD ...and recovering from a c-section.  I only had one baby in the NICU and did not have a c-section and I was a wreck (gotta love those hormones!).  It is a common thing for preemies to have some feeding issues.  My DD1 (33 weeks) had to have a feeding tube for 3 weeks in the NICU because babies that little simply don't have the mechanics to coordinate sucking, swallowing, and breathing all at the same time.   I hope by the time your read this you and both babies are at home.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Welcome Sunshine.  Congrats on #2.  Good luck at your appt in a few weeks and learning more about your placenta.  Are you team green, or did you find out gender at your 20 week u/s?

For some reason I'm really nervous about this afternoon's anatomy scan.  I have literally felt no movement, and I'm 18 weeks today.  I heard the heartbeat at my appt on June 5th, but it was super quiet and that was 3 weeks ago. My notes from my pregnancy with DS had movement by now.  Why is it we always think the worst?  One of my dear friends lost her little girl around 16 weeks... and it shows you are just never out of the woods. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

oh gosh ipw - keep us posted.  i feel like 18 weeks is early to feel something though??? 

congrats ss!  if you want any twin advice we're here for you (me, daisy, misslily... and dz i think?  maybe others?).  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck IPW!  Hope everything is fine with your LO.  Wonder if your placenta is in the front blocking movement?  Hoping that's all it is and you have a happy. healthy LO to get a look at!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Welcome to the boards, sunshine! Hope your placental lake resolves itself.

IPW, I hope your scan goes well. Each pregnancy is different and they say you can start feeling movement much later too, so I wouldn't think that it's necessarily bad. It's so hard not to internalize scary experiences that friends have had, though. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thanks all!  I was worried just to worry. He looks awesome. Still cooking nicely, and right on target at 18 weeks. Phew. Placenta is high and in front, so explains a bit of movement issues. Although he has wickedly long legs, so I'm guessing I'll be getting kicks any time now as he was really wiggly. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great news, IPW!  Could be a couple more weeks with that placental position before you do feel him, but when you do I hope you don't have to pee!  ;)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

SS, congratulations!  I hope by now you've got both your babies home. 

IPW, so glad the scan went well!  That's exactly the kind of thing I would freak out about; I'm glad everything looks great. 

So I have a question--friends of ours are getting married in Manhattan this summer, at which point I will be 36 weeks.  It's a black-tie evening event, and our toddler isn't invited, so we would have to figure out childcare.  The whole thing feels like kind of a hassle right now, but they are really close friends.  Would it be terrible not to go?  If we do go, what on earth do I wear to a black tie event at that point?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thistle, they did the right thing, being close friends they'd like under average conditions to have at their wedding, by inviting you.  Their alternative (which is very, very wrong) was to say, "Gosh, we'd love to invite our great friends Thistle and Mr. Thistle, BUT she'll be 36 weeks pregnant, and childcare will be a hassle so we better not invite them."  All that to say that invitations are just that invitations, not demands, to attend, and you, in this case, should probably decline and you won't shock anyone.  It's unfortunate timing, but send a nice card and gift and get together afterwards and have coffee over the photos.  

ETA:  My SIL couldn't attend our wedding; she had a one month old baby and it would have been too much to fly.  Life happens!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Thistle, it's a hard call because you don't necessarily know how you'll feel at that point in the pregnancy. I'm inclined to say that if you can find babysitting, then do it! You'll be super busy with two LOs, so a fun adult weekend may be something you will cherish as you head into the next phase.

As for what to wear, there are all sorts of places that rent maternity wear (a la Rent the Runway). Do a Google search and you'll be amazed at what you find!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

if you live in Boston and the wedding is in NYC, you may need to check with your doctor - I recalled my doctor saying I should not go beyond an hour from home that late in mine but every doctor and every pregnancy is different. The travel may be rougher since you will need to be sure to stop more often to get up and stretch (I always hated stopping when going from Boston to NY).