June - Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

June - Pregnancy

Hi All...

Must be quiet.  It's the 3rd already, and no June thread.  Everyone recovered from the heat/storms?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: June - Pregnancy

I am grateful that the heat and humidity has broken, AND especially grateful that all my family and friends in Western MA (I grew up in West Springfield) came through the tornadoes safe, though shaken.

I've been busy with end of school year stuff (exams, etc.). Just killing time until my next appointments in 2 weeks...the 3-draw glucose test and a follow-up u/s to check the previa.

Trouble, what were the results of your 3-draw GTT?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I'm loving the weather right now! but we missed the heat, we flew back from our vaca on Wednesday and had to wait the storms out in Boston Wednesday night.

I can say I will never again travel while 6 mo pregnant with a 2.5 year old on a trip that takes 26 hours of flying/layovers to get home. It was rough!

But before our trip we went to Children's for the fetal echo and turns out our little daughter has no major heart defects! So relieved and hoping to settle into a more "normal" pregnancy routine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Oh yay, KAM!

I haven't posted because I'm in complete denial that it's June and I'm now counting down my due date by days rather than weeks, eeeek! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout - Only 6 days to go!!  Wow!!  Good luck!
    (Don't be impressed - I checked the due dates thread.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Hi Ladies.... well, we had our baby early this morning 1:06am June 3rd - 3 days before the due date. We waited until the delivery to find out the sex - and it was a boy - a bit of a whopper 9lbs 10oz 21.5 inches. I was so shocked when they told me that! First name Cameron, middle name to be determined :) ... boy names were tough for us and this was a last minute on the way to the hospital change. (We were at first going to go with Jason.)

Labor was really weird this time. Started Wednesday night with BH-like contractions that picked up in intensity but not frequency overnight. Thursday they kept coming but still not frequent, but getting stronger. If I rested, they slowed down, if I moved they picked up. I've heard/been told to walk to progress labor, but when I asked my midwife she told me to rest - that when it's real labor no matter of rest will hold it back. So, finally at 6:00 pm I was having contractions 3-5 minutes apart for a good 60-90 seconds and they were definitely uncomfortable. We got to Mount Auburn about 7:15 last night and I was 4-5 centimeters, so officially in active labor.  

The only bummer was, the delivery rooms were all full and I had to wait a bit to get a room, and then one or two of the nurses were not there, so the existing staff was spread thin (but still super pleasant). Got my own room about 8:15... and got my fabulous epidural at 9:30ish, no pitocin and I was 9cm at 11:30 and actually took a little cat nap. Woke up at 12:30 kind of surprised that the nurses hadn't come back to check to see if I was ready to push - turns out I was 1 of 4 women in labor ready to push out their babies so I had to wait a bit. 

Being baby #2 - 15 minutes of pushing was all it took, however - despite the fact that the head came down pretty quick, the baby never rotated his shoulders and just came out straight up, he almost got stuck & they were paging for help to come in, but with A LOT of heavy pushing (I broke pretty much every capillary in my face) he came out! Good thing for that epidural because I'm sure that would have really hurt like heck. On top of that his head literally looks like a blueberry because he bruised so badly coming out... there is even a sign on his bassinet - so that people don't thing he's being deprived of oxygen.

I'm still shocked at how big he is... but he's a great nurser and so far is sleeping like a rock - not too much crying going on, which is good because we are unfortunately in a shared post-partum room (and I'm definitely ready to check out tomorrow - no fun sharing a room and being on the inside with no natural light, and - the other people definitely have more room than we do).  

Food here is great, nurses are great and I'd definitely go the midwife/Mt Auburn route if we decide to go for #3 in a few years.

Hope everyone else is hanging in and doing well, pushing that baby out and seeing them for the first time is just an awesome experience that makes you want to have a million babies (almost). :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Congrats, Benice! 

and Sprout - wow! good luck! any day now! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Congrats BeNice,  LOVE THE NAME, that is what DS name is going to be.  He will be Cameron James.

Sprout, your almost there...I am sure we will have good news soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Congrats, benice!! Welcome to baby Cameron!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Congratulations benice!  

Sprout, I am with you, I can't believe it is so close now!  Went to the dr today and she said she would do an exam next week to see where things are.  Right now I have the worst back pain, it hurts to move at all.  I hope it heals soon, otherwise it is going to be even more painful to try to push this little one out!   

Hope everyone else is doing well!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Wow Benice - Congrats!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Congrats Benice! Glad you have a big healthy baby!  FWIW I like the name Cameron much more than Jason ;) .   I delivered at Mt. Auburn too, and really loved it there, will be going back for my next one!  I can't believe how busy it was there! I wonder if the heat induced labor for many women!  You must have been back in the renovated post-partum wing, the room I was in, was in the new wing and def. no room for another patient in there.   Congrats again on your little man. Hope he stays as mellow as he has been in the hospital! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Congrats BeNice!  Welcome baby Cameron!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

CONGRATS BENICE!  Welcome baby Cameron!  Poor little bruised face - it'll go away soon!  I can't believe the hospital was so busy!

Good luck with the back pain, Wed - hope it goes away!  Sitting on my yoga ball has helped loosen my back/hips (but unfortunately makes the pubic bone pain worse...eh, you win some you lose some).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Congratulations Benice!!  DD was 9 lbs 8 ounces and actually came out with severeal scratches on the top of her head we thought was from my pubic bone.  Crazy!!  I hope you are all doing great.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Congrats Benice! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Congrats benice - and welcome little Cameron!

AFM, I am now 4 weeks from EDD and would be more than happy if it arrived in 4 days, rather than 4 weeks! At the moment I have this awful hip pain, coupled with stabbing sensations and downward pressure all around my lady bits. Totally uncomfortable.

I have my first internal this week.... can anyone give any advice? I am bracing myself for the worst, having heard that they are far from pleasant!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hi Prill,
    I had my first (and only, so far) internal at 36 weeks and it was nothing more than a quick check of the cervix.  Same with the GBS test - I was not looking forward to that but it was over before I knew it.  Hopefully yours is nothing, too (that said, I was not dilated at all so perhaps it wasn't as "invasive"...).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats Benice!!  I like both of your names :o)

Prill - I had internal exams by about 4-5 different people (due to issues at the end).  The first one didn't exactly hurt, but it made me want to squirm to get away from the OB.  The others were fine... until that same OB did it again when I was in labor.  She must be super aggressive or something!  Don't worry!  If it hurts, it's over in about 30 seconds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Congrats Benice!

Good luck to the other ladies with back pain in the home stretch!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congrats, benice! 

AFM, I had my anatomy scan ultrasound this morning.  Baby looks fine and healthy and is a girl!  The placenta is apparently a little close to the cervix (though not blocking it) so I'll need another ultrasound around 28 weeks.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Congrats, thistle, on a healthy baby girl!

Prill, I found the internal exams to be quite uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I remember being a bit sore and crampy for a few hours afterward as well. All in all, in the grand scheme of pregnancy discomforts, they weren't the worst thing!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Congrats Benice!! Cameron and I share a birthday!! I'm so happy that you both are doing well.

Congrats on a little girl Thistle!!! That is so exciting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Congrats Benice!! 

Sprout- How are you doing?

Congrats Thistle on the little girl!

I have my anatomy scan scheduled for Wed. morning.  I think we decided to find out, so I guess I'll know what this little munchkin is soon enough! 

I have been conscious about sleeping on my side (though my ob said I don't really have to worry about that until 20 wks), but the past couple days, I have constantly been moving side to side and ending up on my back and my back also hurts.  I'm thinking I need to get a maternity pillow, but I'd also like to see it in person.  I have read about so many online, but do they not carry these things in stores? 

I also freaked out a little this morning when I moved from my right side onto my back and felt a twinge in my lower abdomen.  I am thinking it's probably round ligament pain because it was sharp and then subsided pretty shortly thereafter, but I was tempted to call the u/s place and see if we could go in tomorrow morning instead.  I wish I could feel this kiddo's movements!!  Maybe then I would be less jumpy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

itsallnew, I actually get pains in my side at night pretty often--according to my doctors it is round ligament pain and is normal.  I actually get woken up by it, and it's very painful, but sometimes if I roll over and keep switching position that helps it go away.  I've had it for at least a month and it seems like everything's fine.  Good luck with the ultrasound tomorrow!