June updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

June updates

I am waiting for a meeting that is running late... but just saw on my calendar that it is officially June, so I thought I would start the post!! I had my last medical appt last week, so no new medical updates, but lots more strong movement and wiggling. Although we are supposed to sleep on our lefts for babies' sake, mine does not like it- he can't get comfortable or something... so no more of that.

And we set up the nursery this weekend. I still have a few things to do like curtains and such, but the furniture is all in place. I have 8.5 weeks left, so it is perfect timing, but it was very exciting. Made it all seem more real.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: June updates

Fun!  We have our furniture and the walls are painted, but DH is putting up wainscoting/shelves and we need blinds for the skylight, curtains, etc ... my next OB appointment is this week, then I think the Glucose Test is the one thereafter ... which seems a bit late as I'm 25 weeks this week.  Is that done at 28, do people remember offhand? 

Feeling pretty good overall, though!  Hoping you ladies are in the same boat. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I'm 11 weeks today, so far so good.  I've had some mild nausea and food aversions, but everyday is an improvement. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

brighton - had you announced this on the boards yet?  i missed it, if so - congrats! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

20 weeks here.  Had the u.s. on Friday and had the exact same situation that many of you had - they weren't able to get all 9 views of the heart, so have to go back for another at 24 weeks.  I'm not complaining at another chance to see the bean!  Although I am glad that I had read here about that being quite a common occurrance, or I probably would have been worried.

Hmm... thinking I should start to think about furniture, etc...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

GC- my glucose was paired with an office visit as well, and I am not on even week dates... so I think that mine was 27 weeks (the next option was 31)

Brighton- congrats!! not on the nausea, but on being pregnant!

Poppy- I was one of the heart repeaters. The second one, because they are just looking at smaller details, is much quicker... so be prepared (I was hoping for the same 45 minutes to longingly adore him- it was really quick- like 5 minutes).  and it is time to start looking at furniture, one of the gliders we liked was 6 to 8 weeks to order and receive (and then you have to assemble it)... I decided I wanted to guarantee we had it BEFORE we had the baby and we had to choose another one. Really sad that is how it works for nursery furniture.  Also- another think I figured out, we got a lot as gifts from our parents, but put it all on the registry- that way, if we didn't get it, we would get it at a discount with the completion coupons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Man, why did I have such a cooperative baby at 18 weeks!  They got everything they needed from the ultrasound so no more in sight for me.  That's a total change from my daughter where I had about 9 in total (bed rest/bleeding issues which turned out to be nothing more than a broken blood vessel thank God).  

Anyway, 22 weeks 2 days here.  Appointment tomorrow.  I guess that I really only have one more monthly appointment after tomorrow before every other week?  Maybe not.  Maybe I'll get away with 26-30 weeks before the every other week deal.  Granted it's nice to hear the baby's heartbeat, but then it feels like you're peeing in a cup every time you turn around!

Brighton, hope your m/s subsides soon!  Almost in the second tri!

Anyone else here on baby #2?  It's funny how pregnancy just doesn't consume your life at all like it did with #1!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Count me in as someone who had a cooperative LO at 18 weeks.  Its nice having the boards,however, so you know that its nothing to be worried about (getting all of the pictures the first time).

Nothing new to report with me.  I'll 34 weeks on Wednesday!  DH painted the nursey this weekend and we ordered furniture, which hasn't arrived yet.  I'm not worried because we are using a co-sleeper for the first few months (which we already have). I work in a school and will be done for the year in a few weeks! I can't wait and really admire those of you who work up until your due date! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Lost Grouse, I am on #2, and yes, it's amazing how different it can be!  I am at 28 weeks and not only do we not have a nursery set up/decorated etc. (well unless you count the fact that the crib is still set up in DD's room and full of the clothing I pulled from her closet last week) we're gearing up to start a major house reno, that will entail us moving out for a couple of months!  We may be nuts, I am not sure... and yes, I work full time and will up until my due date more or less... hope to have most things looked after by end of July and then less urgent things until DS arrives (EDD 8/22)

I do have a question for those of you of "advanced maternal age"  (geesh!)  I just turned 36 when DD was born, and am 38 now, and will be when DS is born... I asked if there were any additional testing or precaustions or anything due to my age and they basically said no.  This weekend, two friends were by with their new babies, both who were 40 when they delivered... both of whom had extra stress tests and weekly ultrasounds in their last couple of months (though no complications otherwise)  One of DD's classmates was induced a month early, because an US or stress test (can't recall) on her then 38 year old mother revealed that the placenta was no longer functioning/delivering nutrients to the baby...

Now, the last thing I need is more docotors appointments, but I am just wondering, IF something were to go awry, how would they know?  My appointments to date have consisted of pee in a cup, stand on scale, blood pressure, baby's heartbeat, measure my belly and send me on my way... anyone have any insight?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Canuk--you sound like me!  We're actually moving this month (hopefully!) and then we have to paint the new rooms get the crib from storage etc etc etc. and I have such a "whatever" attitude towards it all!  Funny how it just is.  We don't even really have a name and we're not really looking, but maybe that will be more evident as we get farther along and we really need a name before we get to the hospital.  I plan on working again right up to the due date so we'll see if/how we get things done.  I guess now you just realize that it doesn't matter what you get done before the baby since we're just putting him in our room in a pack n' play bassinet from the get-go (or in reality, we're moving into his room like we did with DD).  Funny how the perfect mobile is so not something on your mind!

As for fetal monitoring, I would just check with your OB/MW at your next appointment.  I actually have heard of AMA moms getting some monitoring done (easy and only takes 20 minutes or so) once a week from 36 weeks on, so maybe you're going to fall into that boat?  Really for the monitoring, they're just checking movement and heart rate accelerations/decelerations as they correlate with movement.  I had them every week with DD but that was all bedrest related.  It actually was kind of fun.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

canuk, I would check with your OB about AMA and extra observation. I was 37 last year while I was pg and when I delivered DS. As part of my office's protocol, I also saw a high-risk OB. He took care of my Early Risk Assessment, my 18-week ultrasound, and all stress tests and ultrasounds. (I started seeing him biweekly at 28 weeks, then weekly at 36. I always had a stress test and ultrasound when I went in.) There was absolutely no indication of any issues requiring monitoring, except my age. I've heard that this is not unusual, but not generally standard protocol either. While I got really sick of visits by the end (especially because it was often impossible to see my OB at the same time, so I was in the office 2x week), it did give me peace of mind to be watched so closely. Hopefully your OB can clearly explain her rationale for how she monitors AMA moms and reassure you moving forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hi everyone, I am excited to be at 32 weeks.  It is crazy to feel the baby poking out so much in different directions.  Definitely feels like she is trying to get an organ or a rib!  Pretty amazing.  I have one puffy foot that is bugging me, but otherwise all is well.
    It's nice to look on here and see nice news from so many people.

IPW - it does sound late that they don't check the cervix until 39 weeks.  My doctor's office seems pretty conservative about testing (that is, they don't seem to do a lot of tests or ultrasounds that could be considered "extra"), but they start checking the cervix at 36 weeks for everyone.  I don't think I am considered AMA by them -- I'm 32.
    Hey!  I am 32 and the baby is 32 weeks.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Hi everyone.
    20 weeks here.  I posted on May updates that last week I woke up to find some dried blood externally but no other signs of bleeding.  They did an u/s which I knew would be fine b/c she moves all the time. Everything looked fine.  No explanation except a low lying placenta. She said I could still exercise but if it happens again I am out.  (it was not associated with exercise).   We went crib and bedding shopping this weekend.  Probably will purchase crib and glider over the next couple of days.  I can't believe it!!

Canuk - I think I have an answer. I asked my ob this question.  She said they only do additional monitoring after 40 because of the risk if IUFD.  which prompted me to say WT*F is IUFD (even though I am an MD it was far from my mind) ?  intrauterine fetal demise - the risk if higher after age 40.  So she did not recommend any further for me either because I am 38.

No one has checked my size either.  The gestational diabetes test is usually at 28 weeks.  I have to say, even when I had bleeding they did not check me.  I agree IPW, sort of nonchalant!

I am glad to hear everyone is doing well!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm now at 17 weeks...and going next week for my 18-week anatomy scan.  I'm looking forward to getting to see the little person again and how s/he has changed in the last 6 weeks!  We're not going to find out if it's a boy or girl, but excited to see how everything else is going. 

The last few days of heat have been brutal...I am not looking forward to the rest of the summer...and am having a tough time finding maternity bathing suits in bigger sizes (I need a 16 or 18).  Any suggestions???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Canuk-I'm AMA with a genetic high blood pressure.  When I became pregnant, there was a debate within the office of whether they would assign me to a high-risk ob/gyn.  Given the fact that other than those two factors I am relatively healthy (and bp is controlled with meds), the practice took a wait and see approach.  Everything is going smoothly.  My blood pressure has started to increase slightly (which is typical in the 3rd trimester) and I knew during my first trimester that they would schedule a third u/s to see if everything is progressing smoothly.  I had that about a month ago.  Oddly enough, the other u/s appts. were at an ultrasound center in Boston and this one was done in the office.  I just add that to say that it was more basic than the others.  My ob/gyn also scheduled non-stress tests beginning my 36th week (and didn't tell me about it until sometime during my second trimester).  However, when it came to scheduling, it was difficult for me to fit it in since its the last week of work and the ob/gyn was fine with me starting during my 37th week.  I consider my office to be pretty nonchalant and so it seems that NST is something that your ob/gyn may or may not require and if scheduling is a problem, you could possibly work around it,.

I wish I didn't have baby brain (I can't remember anything) but I believe that the first time I was measured was around 29 weeks.  I know I'm getting swabbed next week for a Strep B(??) test and that will be the first internal type thing I've had since my first appt. 

Sorry for the lengthy post, I hope this helps (and I apologize if it doesn').

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

Hi All, 

I'm 25 weeks today and feeling great!  We did a lot of work around the outside of the house this past weekend, and I am surprised at how much I am still able to do physically (and happy about that).  :)

We had an appointment last week w/ a different Dr than we normally see.  It was fine minus her personality and that she told me I was gaining weight too quickly....20 lbs of gain at 6 months.  I kind of knew I shouldn't be quite so high, but since I have had a fairly steady diet of donuts and desserts the past few months, I wasn't surprised.  I was, however, a little annoyed when she told me I was verging on overweight to begin with (I was 5'1", 120).  I mean, I could have stood to lose a few pounds, but overweight at 120....really!!?  Grrr.

Other than now trying to eat a little better...not too much going on, but definitely getting more and more excited every day! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats Brighton!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Just for the record Eva - 5'1" and 120 gives a BMI of 22.7 which is perfectly normal and NOT overweight.  OB is crazy about your pre-pregnancy weight! 
    A donut sounds good right about now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Canukgrl - I will be 42 years old on June 9th with a due date of June 24.  I was also surprised at the lack of testing for my "advanced age."  I think that if preliminary work comes back fine, they don't do anything extra.  I did have the Down's syndrome bloodwork and ultrasound done at around 12-15 weeks but that is it.  No one even brought up having an amnio done.  I did present with gestational hypertension (as I did with my 2 other children 11 & 14 years ago) so I am out of work and "resting."  I am envious of all the people that are ready to go.  My 10 year old son is still in what will be the nursery because we have to finish painting and carpeting his new room.  Then we'll still have to paint and put in the new floors of the baby's room!  Ah well - third child.  I have diapers, onesies and a cradle which I guess is really all we'll need for a while!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Thanks all, it seems like there is a wide range of approaches with us "old" gals...  I actually did ask one of the OB's I think it was 2 visits ago, which is where I got th "nothing extra' answer... I am going to ask again next week though.  I am at a practice with a bunch of docs and I see someone different each time, for a sum total of about 90 seconds (some are better than others) MUCH different from the last time where I saw the same (awesome) doc each time and had a rapport with her.  I was so sad when she told me she wasn't delivering babies any more :(

I don't have any particular reason for concern, was just more curious about what to expect more than anything... We did have a genetic cousellor at 18 week US and I would say a more thorough US than last time, but I am not sure, maybe just a more chatty US tech :)  I had my GD test last week (27) and am now on the every 2 week visit cycle, and so far no reasons for concerns, so that's good.

For whoever was looking for a bathing suit, try Target - you can buy tops and bottoms seperate sizes (even maternity)  I got one a month or two ago, so not sure if they will still have a good selection in store, but you can order on line.  Funny thing, mine felt like a tent when I bought it, but I am starting to fill it out already!  (we live by a lake so I've got my money worth already)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

luv - i found that the maternity bathing suits at pea in the pod are more generously cut than other brands like olian and maternal america.  i ended up buying a maternal america tankini for now and a bigger/longer tankini from pea in the pod for later when i'm even more massive, because i do not want my gut hanging out!  they had some one-pieces that also looked good and big enough to provide coverage.  i'm a size 12-ish and like things BIG, so i think you might have luck there.

re: amnios and AMA - when i went for my amnio the dr on duty asked why i was getting one since i'm not over 35!  i just told her i wanted to know...  but, odd that it's not more "out there" as an option.  i definitely was the one who brought it up in the first place, but once i did i didn't meet any resistance, which surprised me given that i'm not at risk technically.  (also having twins helps i think, b/c less invasive testing isn't as accurate.)   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Luv -- try Old Navy Maternity for swim.  They may not all be winners, but they're cheap. 

Eva -- good lord.  Try not to worry about that little comment.  If it's any consolation, I started out with a much higer BMI and was cautioned to gain about 20lbs the entire time.  Great, right?  Well, as of my last appointment, they were worried I wasn't gaining ENOUGH weight -- I'm only up about 5-6lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight (Week 25) thanks to a lovely bout of stomach flu at week 11.  So you can't win.  Based on your BMI, I think the recommendation would be to gain about 30-35lbs, and it sound like you're right on track. 

I haven't been told about any extra screening due to AMA either (I'm 35, will be 36 when I deliver).  Definitely ask about it at your next appointment, though! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Eva, 5'1", 120lb is NOT overweight!  Not even close.  Whoever told you that is a moron.  I would love a donut right now.  Why couldn't my food aversions be to unhealthy foods?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

haha.  Thanks for the support ladies!  I took it in stride considering that the Dr. resembled Mary Catherine Gallagher herself!!  

GC, I have a friend who was also given the yo-yo advice...you can't gain too much, you've gained too little, put more on...and then at the end, you're gaining too much! Sheesh.  

I do hope to keep the gain to 30lbs though if possible.  Not sure my donut/muffin/ice-cream diet will allow this, but hey...I will try!  I've heard that weight gain curbs in the third trimester...for those who have been through this before, any truth to that? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Honestly too, I wouldn't worry about weight gain in pregnancy unless you're really off the end of the charts and even then, most people seem to get rid of it all quickly enough.  

Am I the only one in my 20's here?  Just curious.  Seems like the average age is closer to mid 30's?

Sections
Shortcuts