June updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Re: June updates

Ev-I think it depends on the person. I believe its not uncommon for some women to gain approx. 1 1b/week in their last trimester give or take but I think it depends on how much they gained before.  Personally, I have not gained that much but I was steadily gaining about 2-3 lbs/month since my first trimester.  The month I popped, I gained 9 lbs!  I was worried at first but it seems to be averaging itself out.  I also wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain.  Your body will do what it needs to do. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Ha ha Grouse in your 20's most ppl lose it easily enough :)   Just joking, mostly... FWIW I lost all but about 5lbs before I went back to work full time at 6 months... but I walked a lot every day while I was off, so surely that helped.  Plus I nursed until 7.5 months.  After returning to work it was a LOT harder to find the time, and then I had a foot issue that really slowed me down. 

First time around, I gained the bulk of my weight in the third trimester... like all in the last 5-6 weeks, so I just rolled with it.  This time, I gained a lot in months 5 and 6, but it's all belly, so again, just rolling with it, I am up about 25 lbs at this point (28 weeks)

Anyway I think the advice to not worry about it is good - there is enough to worry about, and there may not be much you can do to control it anyway.  Eat what you need to eat, be healthy and worry about it after the bean arrives (within reason, which muffins and ice cream totally are!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Canuk - I'm 36 y.o. (20 weeks along) and there's been nothing special done because of my AMA - my monthly appointments look just like yours - they take about 5 minutes!  (unless I have questions).  The only thing I had was the Early Risk Assessment (no amnio) and that's it.  So I am putting on my list of questions for next time (june 25, same as you IPW!): is any special monitoring done later because of my age.

Re: eating - I am rationalizing away my daily ice cream intake by telling myself I need the calcium. :)  Also, I figure if I balance that off with daily fruit, veggies and protein I'm good.  that's what I'm telling myself anyway. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I am due July 30- so right around a few of you- and I will be 34 at delivery.  However, the weight thing has been harder for me... I started chubby (I was not 120... thats for sure)... and gained more in the beginning than I should have. but after one negative comment from my doctor (that actually put me in tears in her office), the following month I didn't gain anything out of pure fear of complications. I have put on about 20 in the almost 32 weeks... and during my last visit she said she gave up because I had gained so much. I know that I am not supposed to gain as much as people who start in “normal weight”, and it certainly hasn't all gone to my belly... but I have really struggled between getting more sleep and getting more exercise.  My friends keep telling me breast feeding will be my saving grace, but I hate this whole enormous sense of guilt that comes with giving into ice cream after dinner.  I have kept telling myself that if the second person I am eating for only weighs like 4 pounds, they don’t need a whole serving of ice cream J but that only helps sometimes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Winter - it just doesn't seem, to me, like 20 pounds in 32 weeks is unreasonable at all!  I've had friends who have started off with a curvy figure and gained more than that and had a perfectly healthy baby - no complications!!  I think it's too bad that your doctor made you feel bad about it :(.  I would think it would not be wise of her to make you feel like you can't eat - obviously the baby needs you to eat!!! 

And as you can see from some recent posts, there are several of us who engage in the nightly ice cream ritual. :) maybe we should all get together and indulge together!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Sunny-Day: I'm due July 24th.  It's coming so quickly!!  I am excited for all of us.  :)

Regarding weight - my mother in law told me that with each of her 4 kids, her OB kept telling her that she had better not gain more than 15 pounds.  Can you imagine??  And she was rail thin, and tall.  15 pounds would be considered too little now.
    Meanwhile, my mother told me that she gained 40 pounds each time, and the only thing her doctor said was a mild warning that she would probably still have some of that weight after the baby was born.

My mother in law also told me that her husband wasn't allowed to hold or touch the baby until after they were released from the hospital.  This was because of "germs"!  This was the 70's, but it still seems crazy and 1950's to me.  My mom's experience (also in the 70's) was much more like what we would expect today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CookieM. Show CookieM's posts

Winter-- I had my first appt last week, with the NP in my OB's practice.  I've started out heavy, and specifically asked her because I had read that some docs recommend little-to-no weight gain if you're heavy.  She said I should aim for closer to the 25 lbs of the 25-35 range.  But, I had to point out to her that I've lost almost 15 lbs already.  I had it to lose, mind you, but this really isn't the time.  I'm only 10 weeks, so I'm really hoping to turn the corner from the complete appetite loss and crazy food aversions... (most of it!).  But, I have to admit, this week I have joined the ice-cream-of-the-night club.

Did anyone else find out that the first visit was a waste of time?  I was just shy of 10 weeks, and she couldn't get the heartbeat, despite trying to compress all the way to my tailbone with the doppler.  No bloodwork. She completely blew off all of my questions: "eat whatever, you're supposed to feel like crap, no restrictions..." I felt awful that DH drove all the way into the city in the middle of the day, to learn absolutely nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Cookie - My first visit was pretty uneventful as well.  I love my OB, but I was a little annoyed that DURING my first visit he was like, "Oh, you should have a "viability ultrasound" as soon as possible" which I had never heard of and really didn't want to take another several hours off work to come BACK and do it!  I wished someone from the office had told me when I called to make my appointment.  Luckily, they were able to squeeze me in that day, but still - when it's your first pregnancy and you know nothing, it would be good to have a tiny bit of hand-holding for the first visit. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Cookie, my first appointment was uneventful (only 5 1/2 weeks, so no doppler), but the nurse gave me a ton of info on food & medications.  I've had strong food aversions, so I'll eat anything that doesn't make me sick, but I'm still avoiding lunch meat, caffeine, unpasteurized cheeses, etc. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

The weight gain thing is definitely subjective to the MW/OB.  I started out heavy too, and at 17 weeks, haven't gained any weight.  For me, the biggest shift has been that I have been exercising more than I had, and my cravings (until the last week when the ice cream/sweets craving has started to hit) have been mostly for fruits and vegetables. 

In my visit to the OB this week, he did ask about my diet, to make sure I wasn't trying to lose weight.  And I've talked to both him and my MW about how I want to use this as a jumpstart to able to keep up the exercise and healthy eating after baby.  THe baby looks fine so far, so no one's worried.

Also, best tip from my MW...even if you're not into exercise...take about a 20 minute walk after dinner (or all meals if you can).  The exercise boosts metabolism but also has been shown to help people with high blood sugar and help avoid gestational diabetes!

Welcome Brighton!  And thanks all for the bathing suit recommendations..got one at Target yesterday. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Cookie-
    I think that it varies- there are later appts too when they check heartbeat (although you can feel the baby moving) and have you pee in a cup... but that is really it (after waiting 30 minutes to be seen). I have started asking to see others when I have questions that I feel could be answered more thoroughly- like "Could I see a nutritionist" to get other ideas? I try to put them all together and it seems more worthwhile in going. However, DH has only gone to my ultrasound/appt ones because I felt the same way you did.

And luv- thanks for the push to walk- I used to walk a lot, but have struggled with using that time after dinner to pack my lunch or sleep- I am tired so early now. And recently it has been so hot, I thought I would die of heat stroke. But it is only 20 minutes... I need to find a way to fit it in.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I know I sound like a broken record, but the exercise (anything, really) is a godsend for all manner of pregnancy symptoms/side-effects.  I notice if I don't get in at least 20 minutes of activity my diet suffers, I am more tired, I get more aches & pains, don't sleep as well ... all the typical ailments.  If I manage to convince myself to go to the gym?  WORLD of difference. 

And my OB was very psyched with my numbers yesterday: great BP      (110/60 -- better than my pre-pregnancy weight), 3lbs of weight gain this month, and generally feeling really good.  Scheduled my GTT for four weeks out, and I have to say -- I take back my nasty comments about the Knot/Nest/Bump.  I found an on-line pregnancy checklist on the Bump, and it had some throwaway reference to an RH factor shot, so I asked about it yesterday -- good thing, as they were like, oh, your blood type is negative?  Yeah, we should schedule that.  So I am feeling very proactive and aware.  Yay me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Yay you!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I think you're right, about even a moderate amount of exercise... by the end of the weekend I am feeling a lot less whale like and not as sore, but all week I almost hate to get up from my desk (makes it worse, I know...) and I am SO uncomfortable... the only problem is I'm also exhausted by the end of the weekend too!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Hahahahaha, GC! You just reminded me of my rhogam shot! At South Shore Hospital, they take you up to the ambulatory care area which is on the 3rd or 4th floor. So, the nurse takes me into a room with hip height to ceiling windows all the way across it, overlooking Route 18 and directly across from a building of doctors' offices. Then she tells me to drop my drawers and bend over the exam table. Hahahahaha. Broad daylight, windows and all. That is one of my funniest pregnant memories - I just had to share.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

IPW-Feel free to ask any questions that you need.  I typically ask questions during my visit depending on what's going on.  My doctor and midwife will extend the session as long as needed.  That's interesting that your doctor would choose breastfeeding over birthing.  I wonder why.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I would also choose breastfeeding over birthing classes. The baby is going to come out one of two ways, and it's going to hurt. That's birth. But breastfeeding is a learned skill and requires a lot of dedication, patience, information-based support, and also emotional support.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I have the exact opposite recommendation - but I think it all in where the classes are being held and who the teachers are.  I did all of mine at South Shore Hospital.  I did childbirth, breastfeeding, and newborn care.  Childbirth was very informative, I just wish it covered a little more about what happens in a c-section and after care, b/c that's what I ended up with.  The newborn care class was helpful - especially for my husband who hadn't been around babies that much.  The breastfeeding class was useless - none of it made sense, they really didn't cover the things that I realized I wanted more info on AFTER I had him (pumping, improving your supply, soreness, etc).  I thought lactation help through South Shore Hospital's free support group after he was born was 100% more useful.  I think I'm a hands on learner, so going to the BF class before I had the baby in front of me made none of it click for me. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Trigirl, I'm sorry -- what?  I'm getting a shot in my a**????  And that's not me editing out arm, by the way.  

IPW -- I hear you on that.  I already knew my blood type since I've given blood before, and it's not a common blood type, so the Red Cross likes to call me to see if I'm feeling robust, rosy-cheeked and healthy ... and would I like to part with some of my blood to alleviate that condition?  But that barrage of blood tests at the beginning of your pregnancy was to type you as well.  I'd make a note to ask at your next appointment.  

Speaking of notes -- bring them.  My appts with the OB are pretty quick, too, but honestly -- there's not a lot to do/say with a normal, healthy pregnancy.  This time I came in with a list of notes to ask (on a Post-It).  It went: GTT?  Ankles?  RH shot?  Birthing classes?  Birth plan?  Iron?  And we chatted a bit and she answered all my questions.  My take is that, modern medicine being what it is, your OB isn't going to probe and pull questions out of you, but should absolutely take the time to answer the ones you have.  

Funny story: my OB comes in to this last appt saying, so, last time you'd mentioned your n*pples were irritated, is that still the case???  Um, hello to you, too ... 

I hate to give them a shout-out, but the Bump has a pregnancy checklist, which is what reminded me to ask about the RH shot at this appointment.  You can delete all the cr*p that doesn't apply to you and add your own reminders.  Might help you feel a bit better.  I love a good checklist.  

I share Lemon's view on the L&D thing -- this is one test you don't have to study for, you know?  I actually contacted my local La Leche League and am attending a couple of their monthly meetings to meet some other BF moms and get some tips on preparing to BF (pumps, supplies, general tips, etc ...).  I agree that it's sort of tough to prepare for something like that conceptually, but knowing I'm taking some steps in that direction helps ease my "performance anxiety."  

FWIW, I am planning on attending the classes offered through my practice, and the pediatric practice I'm interviewing also offers birthing classes and BF preparation class.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't given birth yet...but what I've heard from others is that much of the information in BF classes is conceptual until you actually have someone to feed.  My hospital (B&W) offers a BF class and during my tour the nurse suggested taking it since its hands on learning.  Also, moms who take the class also have a lactation consultant.  In regards to birthing classes, I think it depends on what class you take.  I'm taking hypnobirthing which includes relaxation scripts and homework and from what I heard from others who have experienced birth, its better to be prepared for natural childbirth.  My CNM thought hypnobirthing was a great idea while my OB/GYN just laughed it off.

I also know that many of the boards are not a fan of What to Expect but I've used it as a reference book and its been OK.  If I experience a symptom, I look it up in there and follow-up with  any additional questions with my doctor's office. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from evavase. Show evavase's posts

GC- I've had 2 rhogam shots so far.  The first was when I miscarried after 1st pregnancy, and that one was in the arm.  The 2nd was a month or so ago, when I had a little bit of spotting.  I too was like, "say what?" when she told me to lie on my stomach and pull down my pants.  That shot was more on the side of my bum and it didn't hurt at all (thank goodness!).  I'll have another one at 28 weeks as well.  By the time all is said and done, I wonder if I'll still have a negative blood type!  JK. 

I am really surprised that anyone has to bring this up to their provider.  I could understand it not being talked about if someone is a positive blood type, but kinda scary if it hasn't been mentioned for someone who is negative!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

fwiw, i've also heard that b-feeding classes are kind of a waste of time, because you forget everything by the time you give birth, books tell you as much as you'll learn in the class, and the hospital will tell you how to do it once you give birth.  hth! 

i'm going to go with "parenting multiples" and "infant CPR" at isis and leave it at that - no need to know more than i have to about BIRTHING (or suckling for that matter) ahead of time!  ;)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I actually kind of liked my birthing class- also took it at South Shore hospital. Maybe it was just the fact that DH got a lot of good tips on what to do during the delivery process (and on how/what to massage, which has defiantly worked to my benefit!!)  There was also a lot of information on how to determine if you were in real labor and what to do. Although I am in no way convinced I will go natural, and am open to using medications/drugs, I was horrified to learn that when I show up at the hospital, I will likely be strapped down to a bed with monitors either way... I am waaay to antsy to lay in bed for 12 hours, especially if in pain, so I will be trying to labor at home as long as possible (like that "The Office" episode).  Before the class, I would have felt too unsure to know what was going on to feel comfortable at home. We are also planning to take the newborn care class- but I have had others recommend that we wait to take the CPR class until right before we start solid foods, has anyone else heard that?

As an aside... DH and I had dinner early last night, so that I could have ice cream after dinner... then during half time of the celtics game we went for a 20 minute walk (with a major hill!)  go me!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I also took classes at SSH - I took the breastfeeding class and Newborn Care.  I thought both were really helpful, the instructor for the bfeeding class did talk about soreness, pumping, etc.  Also she was really great in not forcing anything on you.  She stated a few times that if you can only do it day, great you tried and your baby got a day of breastmilk and that is great.  I really liked that approach. 

One thing I would do in the hospital with the next baby is request a lactation consultant right away.  I believe standard practice at SSH is they meet with you the last day.  Well DD lost almost a lb, in reality I had no idea what I was doing, my n!pples were starting to crack, etc. 

I guess my main message is that the breastfeeding class is a good start but ask for lots of help at the hospital.  I also went to the breastfeeding support groups held at SSH daily - those were great! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Stefani-I took the CPR class at Isis yesterday and can't say enough good things about it.  I'm certified in adult CPR so I am already familiar with some of the aspects of doing CPR but it was nice to be able to focus soley on infants.  DH enjoyed it as well and there was alot of practice which made me feel secure in being able to do something if a situation arises (he felt the same way).  At the end of our class, the instructor spent about 15 minutes also reviewing other infant/toddler safety hazards which I found useful as well.

Winter-I also plan to labor at home as long as possible (and I also thought about "The Office" episode").  Did they tell you they would strap you to monitors?  I know at B&W, they do occasional monitoring but you're also allowed to walk around and do whatever you need to do to be as comfortable as possible.  I haven't heard that its better to take the infant CPR class when a baby starts solid foods.  I do understsand the rationale since I believe the odds of doing CPR on a healthy newborn is lower than an infant.  However, I felt so much better knowing that I knew how to help in the event if something happens.  Just my two cents. 

Sections
Shortcuts