June updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: June updates

Just thought I'd add my take on baby classes. We took 4 through Isis--Prepared Childbirth, Newborn Essentials, Infant CPR, and BF. I would recommend all of them. My least favorite was the Childbirth, mostly because it was a LONG day (9am-3:30pm) and there wasn't really anything earthshattering that was shared. The main positive was the tour of L&D. It was good to know exactly where to go and what to do before having to go in "for real". I haven't heard the advice to wait on CPR. IMO, this was the *best* class in terms of being useful and reassuring. Newborn Essentials was good, mostly for advice and feedback on baby gear like swaddlers, car seats, carriers, etc. I really liked my BF instructor; she was very similar to KT's in being more laid back and encouraging rather than forceful. Even though I definitely needed additional help BF in the hospital and at home, I learned a lot in the class which also covered advice for introducing bottles (which I needed to do at 1 week b/c of DS' latching issues), what kinds of bottles, baby feeding and nutrition throughout the first year. I often check back to my BF notes, moreso than any other class.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

To add to the great comments from others: we had our childbirth class this weekend (full day, at the hospital) and I am very glad that we did it.  I agree that there wasn't a lot of earth shattering information, or even necessarily anything you couldn't have gotten from another source.  I maybe only got a handful of new tidbits, plus hospital-specific information about their practices, which I enjoyed.  The tour was also great.
    But being there and having done it was a huge psychological benefit for me.  I felt better hearing all the information, and hearing the questions that other people had.  I don't think I would recommend the ones that meet over the course of several weeks, because I would probably get sick of going repeatedly if there wasn't any exciting information.  I also think the infant/child CPR class we took was a psychological benefit for me, as well as a real one.  It's like the classes let me feel that I was doing something real and good for our baby.

Regarding books for dads, a friend gave my husband "Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads" and we both love it.  It's for after the baby comes, not pregancy or childbirth.  It has a great sense of humor and a lot of really practical, nice things.  Including lots of things on how and why to be nice and helpful to your wife, which might be why I like it!  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

IPW - I was nervous about childbirth and felt better after taking the childbirth class at Tufts Medical Center (where I ended up delivering). We  also took the Infant CPR class at Isis and felt it was worthwhile. I think we got money back from insurance for taking the childbirth class - find out if yours does the same. Our covered about half the class. I used the lactation consultants at the hospital which I figured would be more helpful than taking the class. My SIL said it's easier to do that if you're more hands on since it's not like you can practice the bf'ing class before the baby is born and I agree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I'll put in my two cents for hypnobirthing as well. It is a longer course - offered over 5-6 weeks, so you aren't overwhelmed with a barrage of information in one day. Plus if you are interested in natural childbirth it gives you plenty of tools/techniques to use. I had an awesome birthing experience, completely drug free. I was open to using pain relief, and they did talk about it, so don't discount it if you are on the fence.
    I also took a breastfeeding class before DD was born, and I do agree that it makes a lot more sense once you actaully have the baby. It is too theoretical and doesn't really click before hand.
    I take community first-aid/CPR through my work, which covers adult, child and infant CPR and first aid. I think that if you have the chance to take some sort of CPR class it is really helpful. I like the fact that since it is through my work, I actually do the annual refesher, since I (thankfully) never have had to use CPR outside of class!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

All very good info, ladies, thanks!  I'm actually on the phone with my health insurance provider to find out about reimbursement(s) for these classes ... I'll let you know what I find out. 

I'm also going to be going through Isis (MGH outsources their classes to them).  My OB told me that I get all the information at my next appointment (when I also apparently get a shot in the a**).  I definitely want to take the birthing class and Infant CPR.  Like I said, I found some LLL meetings in my area, so I'm probably going to do that in terms of BF info and support.  I may add a class, too, depending on time. 

OK, BCBS will reimburse up to $90 for a birthing class (recommended by your provider).  So that's something! 

In other news, hello, groin pain.  I think my bones are shifting.  Ow. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Isis...If you join Isis as a member (about $65/year, if I am remembering correctly) you get a 10% discount on all classes, plus merchandise, for a whole year. Our membership has definitely paid for itself many times over. The discount dosen't work on everything (e.g. we bought a Tripp Trapp highchair over the weekend and didn't get the discount on the chair, but did get it on the tray attachment.) Also, I had a small baby registry through Isis and anyone who purchased off my resgistry also got the 10% discount.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I just got my BCBS check back- took only about two weeks, so that was nice.  Good to know about the infant CPR- will see if we can squeeze it in before the baby.  I was certified years ago... but definately need a refresher.

I have a new pain today too- but not groin related.  I sneezed yesterday (seriously, this is crazy) and felt something rip in my stomach.  Every time I have sneezed or coughed since then I have had pain in the same location. yesterday I thought it was annoying, but today I started to get worried I had ripped my placenta off my uterus or something. nurse told me that I probably just ripped an abdominal muscle and it would heal after the baby was born. ugh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ugh i hate those random pains that stress you out!  i've been having groin pains too, and sometimes real tightness/pain in my lower stomach area.  :(  and, GC, i think it was you who was lovingly referred to as "squirt?"  well, i had my first episode today while walking back from a meeting and sneezing at the same time.  awesome!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Winter - if you ripped your placenta you would be bleeding so I am sure it is likely just a muscle.  Everytime I sneeze I get some random abdominal pains too!

Stefani, gc, it happened to me too!  No warning, innocently sneezed and then WHAMO.  Now I kegel before everything if possible!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Yep, that was me.  DH has started yelling "Kegel!" instead of bless you when I sneeze.  He's a love. 

My groin pain is sort of constant, and feels like BONE or ligaments shifting.  It's just this ache.  I mentioned it to the MD and she was like, oh yeah, you'll start feeling all sorts of aches, so I'm not worried, just sore.  It feels like I took a three-hour Spinning class.  That's where it hurts, and the level of ouch. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I had kind of a funny thing happen to me on the train this morning.

Over the last few days, I have been SO TIRED and I fell asleep on the train last night, and as a result, lost my T Pass (I think).

This morning, I was sitting on the train desperately trying to find my pass, and this nice guy comes along and scans his Charlie card for me and we talk all the way to my T stop. Nice guy, works at MGH, plays soccer blah, blah, blah.

So I get up to get off at my stop, and he says "oh my God, you're pregnant and I've been flirting with you!" I don't know, it was kind of funny. 7 months pregnant and I've still got it I guess. Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

ML - awesome!!  Did you tell DH?  :)
    IPW - do you like Ipswich?  We're thinking of looking there next year...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I was not out of the T Station before I was on the phone to DH bragging about my female prowess!

IPW - I've been wondering if IPW was for Ipswich, I've been meaning to ask you. I'm actually in Rowley, and am definitely on the look out for mother's groups and will let you know. The one that intimidated me a bit was: http://www.newburyportmothers.com, but a friend has assured me it's a really great jumping off point.

Poppy, I can't say enough good things about the area. We moved up here from Newton and haven't looked back for a minute. Ipswich and Newburyport have just enough nightlife and culture for us these days, and the train is super convenient - and there is so much stuff to do beach-wise, nature wise - and we love Spencer-Pierce-Little Farm, Tendercrop Farm and all the local farmers markets, plus Todd Farm antique market (a great place to go to shop of antiques, get advice on dog breeds and most recently, my husband and I go and ask people about their baby carriages).

If you need a recommendation for a really good real estate agent in the area, let me know. Our realtor (the above mentioned friend) was the BEST, very patient with us through a 2+ year search, totally knew her stuff and has young kids so she knows the ins and outs of the area.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

ML - that is too funny!  Good for you girl!  :o)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

That's funny, I grew up in that general area myself!  I love that part of the North Shore.  We're also North Shore-ites, but from harder-to-get to Marblehead (although still a lovely community, if I may plug). 

Big thumbs up to both Tendercrop & Todd's Farm, too. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

just got the amnio results - everything is OK and it IS a BOY and a GIRL!!!!  :)  (sorry - selfish post, but i had to share - i'm so excited!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yay Stefani!!  That is so exciting!!  That's what this forum is for - posting things about ourselves - you're not being selfish!

Thanks IPW and ML for Ipswich-area info!  I did a search for homes yesterday and found that there are indeed some that are affordable.  Hopefully that will still be the case next year when we are looking!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm sorry, I didn't know that you guys were talking about breastfeeding classes BEFORE the baby was born. I agree that such a class would be almost useless. Now, AFTER the baby is born -- then it would be very helpful.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Congrats, Stefani!  That's really exciting to be able to have one of each.  The best of both worlds! 

AFM, Heading towards the end stretch.  I started weekly appointments this week.  Everything continues to proceed well.  The baby's in the correct position and I have started feeling Braxton-Hicks contractions. It's become evidently clear that I should start doing laundry (for the LO) this weekend and packing a bag...because the window can be anywhere from 37-42 weeks (if not before).  I can't believe I'm finally in the home stretch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Poppy -- would you miss the city? Sometimes we talk about moving out for better schools or more space, but then we just can't imagine not being in the city.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Lemon - I would be fine with driving in on occasion to do city things, but I do think my husband would miss it more.  So we're still considering different options.  The biggest thing for both of us is wanting to be in a house vs. a condo (we both can't stand having people all around and on top of us all the time), and I don't think we could afford a house in the city.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Stefani - Congrats! You must be so excited. I know you are having a miserable time with your pregnancy. At least, if you want, you can say I've got my boy and my girl and I'm done in one go around!

GC - You live in Marblehead? I grew up there. My sister just had a baby boy a month ago and lives near Waterside Cemetary. You guys will probably both have boys in the same year in school and sports and everything!

Poppy - I'll keep plugging Ipswich, I am sure IPW and I would love to have you as a neighbor! And if I may say, something weird happens to husbands when they get a yard and some space, they feel this strange urge to spend weekends (if I may quote my husband) "working my own land with my hands" and quickly forget the lure of the city. My best friend had SUCH a metro-sexual husband and all the sudden they bought a place with some land in metro west and he's gone all John Deere on her.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

ML -- I do, and Waterside isn't too far from us, actually!  Funny!  Although since my Bean is due in September, I think her son will be a year ahead of ours.  But who knows? 

Lemon/Poppy -- having just made the city-to-burbs leap, I can say that it's an adjustment, but not as hard as I'd thought/feared.  I think the key is to find a town that has a defined center, some things to do, and is walkable ... that's the big difference between city & burbs, IMO -- the walkability.  I will SHAMELESSLY plug Marblehead for having all these things, but Newburyport, Ipswich -- both very similar.  I miss some things about the city (more my South End rather than my Southie days), but the community, house, my yard, schools, and proximity to the water makes it all worth it. 

My two cents. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Every summer we talk about how great it would be to live near the ocean, but every winter we're glad to live in the city. I guess we could just summer at your house.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

You are more than welcome. 

Seriously, anyone who tells you that there's nothing they miss about living in town wasn't a city person to begin with.  I miss SO much, and could see raising an urban family and being very happy.  But in comparing cost of living, the amount of house, and the intangibles of living with more space, the burbs won out.  And we are silly-happy with our set-up. 

To be fair, I had the option of switching offices so post-baby, I will have about a 15 minute commute.  But I've been commuting into town with DH for ... nine months now, and it's not that bad.  And we only had one car until last week. 

Sections
Shortcuts