June updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: June updates

Wow I am completely blown away right now!  Thanks for enlightening me.  I figured, if anything, they would roughly guess the due date as 42 weeks from LMP, since an "average" woman would ovulate 2 weeks after AF.
    So you're really not pregnant for 40 whole weeks?  Madness!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Fram-Congratulations!  This is really an exciting time and I hope you and DH enoy every moment of it. 

Amy-Thanks for sharing your story regarding the ultrasound and measurement.  I had one today because my LO was not too cooperative during the NST and the measurement was 7lbs 1 oz.  I'm almost 37 weeks so I'm guestimating that I'd be somewhere around 8 lbs if I carry until 40 weeks.

Winter-I think it would depend on your OB/GYN's policy regarding induction.  I did ask my office that question a few weeks ago when I was measuring 2 weeks early (I'm now measuring on time) and the OB/GYN said that they wouldn't suggest induction unless there was some danger to the fetus (not enough aminotic fluid) or if I were still pregnant after 41-42 weeks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from roneil68. Show roneil68's posts

Hi Everyone, Hope your staying "cool."  2 more days until my due date and NOTHING!!  I thought by my third one I'd definitley go by now - although maybe my body forgot what to do since it's been 10 years since the last baby??  A lot of regular contractions 8 minutes apart at my son's baseball game on Sunday so I went home, took a shower, shaved my legs (because I know the nurses/doctors really care about that, haha), tried to take a nap and everything stopped.  My next Dr. appointment is Thursday so I guess they'll start talking induction since I know they didn't want me to go much beyond my due date - I'm 42 yrs old.  I was induced with my first one around 11 days before her due date & it was a nightmare so I am kind of dreading that scenerio.  My water broke 4 days before my due date with my second one and the delivery was a breeze, well, not a breeze but you know what I mean.  Castor oil is starting to look good right about now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Did anyone else start peeing like crazy immediately after getting pregnant?  I'm only 3 weeks (6 if you count since LMP) and have been going like craaaaazy since Saturday.  I've probably just been unconciously drinking more water because it's been so hot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I was going to say the same thing - you're 6 weeks pregnant, logic be damned.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

LOL I know, I know.  I'm very stubborn!  I am slowly getting there.  Technically it's 5 weeks for me since I ovulate a week later than the "norm".  It's kind of exciting to say 5 weeks instead of 3, so I don't think it will take long to get used to :o)

I've been waking up at 5:00 or 6:00 in the morning, when I don't have to get up until around 8:00.  Not cool!  I guess I'd better get used to it!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Fram, I'm willing to bet your MD will still count it from the first day of your LMP regardless of the length of cycle or when you O'd, at least until you have your first ultrasound when they measure and date the baby.  Even then, doctors vary on whether they are "willing" to change your due date.  My U/S with DS typcially had him measuring about 7 days bigger than he would if we went by due date, but my MD doesn't adjust due dates untl the baby is consistently measuring 10-14 days bigger/smaller.  I tried arguing this since I had such an irregular cycle, with often really short cycles and I was certain I O'd on day 10 of the month we conceived (and I desperately wanted to move my pregnancy along b/c I was so excited!) but no go on changing the date.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Fram, trust me: you will get to a point during your pregnancy where you will fall down on your knees and thank GOD for the gimme-two weeks.  By then, however, you will not be able to get back up without assistance. 

And MM is right -- your MD will say, what was the first day of your LMP.  And you will say "Well, it started on [date], but I tend to [lots of details about your cycle, ovulation, OPK's, etc ...], and your doctor will give you a due date, and it will be based on the first date of your LMP, as s/he really stopped listening after you provided a date.  I did the same thing -- provided all sorts of helpful details about our BD schedule, my periods through the ages, when I thought it happened, etc ... and the due date they gave me was the exact same day as the one I pulled off some on-line caculator with LMP as the only factor. 

As for the peeing -- that is not all in your head.  It's some hormonal shift.  It gets better in the second trimester, then starts again in earnest in in the latter third of your pregnancy.  You'll get very good at trotting to the bathroom without fully waking up.  I try to cut back on H2O after 7pm, but at some point you just have to go with it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks MM, I figure they won't take my word for it until an ultrasound shows I'm a week behind where they think I should be.  I'm so glad I know, so I won't be freaked out if they say I'm measuring small!

My practice said they don't do the early ultrasound to hear the heartbeat unless they think there's a reason.  Maybe I can use this as an excuse to push for it!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I didnt know the date I conceived, so I called they did some bloodwork which put me about 2 weeks off because I kinda had an idea (we were not trying to get pregnant), so they sent me in for an ultrasound twice before they found a heartbeat.  Until your about 7 weeks along, I wouldnt push for an ultrasound because they may not be able to pick up a heartbeat which will then cause extra anxiety, just my opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks June, my first appointment isn't until "8 1/2 weeks", so hopefully it will all work out.  I have another appointment scheduled for two weeks later so I'm hoping they'll tack the ultrasound onto that.

I'm glad my first appt is kind of far away because it's keeping me from telling anyone!!!  Although, I have told 2 friends.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Fram, call yourself 6 weeks - that way you'll get through the first stressful and pukey 12 weeks faster!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

if it helps, there is this thing called Sequential Screening which helps to detect Downs Syndrome, Trisomy 18 and other genetic tests, that testing starts with an ultrasound at about 11-12 weeks.  Im going for mine on the 29th, but it will be my 4th time seeing the little alien, but I find the 18 week appointment more exciting!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My experience with my first ultrasound (my OB calls for one at about 8 weeks which he calls a "viability ultrasound") was that although we could not HEAR the heartbeat, the heartbeat was visible on the ultrasound. So even though it's true that often you cannot HEAR it until week 12ish, usually it can be SEEN earlier. However, that early on the little bean looks exactly like that - a little bean. Not like a baby until later. :)  Still cool to see, though.

but I know many OB's don't call for this early ultrasound. I had actually never heard of it until he mentioned it to me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Fram-The Due Date is really a guestimate so don't be surprised if your OB/GYN doesn't do an ultrasound for dating.  A woman is considered full term anywhere between 37-42 weeks.  I actually stopped tracking my LMP because a friend suggested that it would ease my stress (which it did).  Luckily, I remembered when we ovulated and they used that as the date.  I actually think they are a week off (and the ultrasound also dated the LO a week earlier than the ob/gyn) but they didn't change the date and explained that it doesn't really matter in the long run.  Believe me, when you are close to the end every week matters ;-)

AFM-Totally changing the subject but I'm so excited because I officially started my maternity leave today!  It's so nice knowing that I'm done with work and can concentrate on finalizing for LOs arrival. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Great news, nene!  That must be nice.  Was today your due date, or did you arrange to go out a bit earlier?  Just curious. 

Re: early ultrasounds -- my practice didn't do one.  I confirmed my BFP with my regular doctor, had my intake with the NP at the OB's office just shy of the 9-week mark, then my first ultrasound at 12 weeks.  That's when they did the Early Risk Assessment, where they figure out your risk ratio in terms of Downs, etc ... it felt like FOREVER between all the appointments, but in looking back, it's pretty much every 2-3 weeks at first, then you settle in to the once a month routine. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

GC-I'm due in 3 weeks.  I'm an administrator at a small school and typically work a summer program in addition to the school year.  Students were done last week and I spent this weekend working from home and going into the office to prep for my maternity leave.  It's nice to have some time before my due date to relax and tie up odds and ends.  I honestly do not know how people work up to the last minute but the end of the school year is always hectic and exhausting so I do not have the best reference.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I was thinking of the "early ultrasound" as basically anything before ~18 weeks where you're checking for the heartbeat.  If my doctor doesn't do an "early" one, will ~18 weeks be the first?  (Unless there is a reason to check on the peanut earlier... errr poppy seed in my case.)

I'm sorry for all the questions!!  I would say I'll hold them for my doctor's appointment, but that would be a lie; it's 3 1/2 weeks away!

I did see a guideline type of thing the other day when I was looking at a due date calculator.  I'll look for that again...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

If you decide to have an Early Risk Assessment (ERA) or a Sequential Screeting Test (SST) (both assess a risk for Down's and other disorders), you'd have an early ultrasound.  That is done before 18 weeks..sometime in the first trimester.  I think it depends on your doctor's office and your health history whether something other than that is done.  When is your appointment?  My midwife (CNM) answered alot of your questions for me during my first appointment so I would really take the time to relax and enjoy the 'secret' that you and your DH are sharing.  The weeks leading up to the first appointment may seem like a lifetime but after the first appointment, it goes by so quickly! 

Also, my CNM (I have  both a ob/gyn & a cnm) checked for the heartbeat during my first appointment and I was able to hear it (which is atypical...alot of women don't hear the first hearbeat until after 10 weeks).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

For what its worth, it seemed like years between when I called my doctor's office and my first appointment.  I just wanted a medical confirmation of my pregnancy.  However, first trimester fatigue hit me so quickly that I did everything in my power to stay awake during the working day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Fram, if you have an atypical cycle and think your due date may be off, they may give you an early ultrasound for "dating."  After my first appointment at 8 weeks, I had an u/s around 10 weeks for this purpose (at my doc's radiology office next door) and that was seperate from the one I would have had for the early screenings (for which I would have had to go to a bigger medical center.  I think around 13 weeks? might be wrong there).  Then, there's the "big" ultrasound around 18-20 weeks.  
    Don't worry about asking so many questions... its normal!!  Like Nene said, the time before the first appointment goes the slowest.  I really liked Babycenter.com for lots of info on my pregnancy - and you can sign up for weekly emails saying how big your poppy seed is and how its developing.  I found the message boards there a little tough though, but did sometimes learn some interesting things if I filtered through.
    My doc wouldn't listen for a heartbeat before 10 weeks, so if your doc wont' at 8 weeks, dont' be discouraged.  It's very hard to pick up that early, so a lot of doctors prefer to wait past 10 weeks rather than worry the mom unnecessarily. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Congrats Nene!  I have to say I am so looking forward to maternity leave!

Fram - Personally, because you often cannot hear the heartbeat until 10-11 weeks I love the idea of an early u/s as poppy said.  If you can get it, I would try.  At 11 weeks I had the nuchal cord screening for Down syndrome and 18 had the anatomical fetal survey. 
    Very exciting times!   Just as a side note, I found this time very hard because you know you are pregnant, others don't, you feel very cautious so it is sort of pregnacy purgatory!  I totally wanted my mind to go on vacation for about 6 weeks - didn't happen just as it never happened in my two week waiting periods in TTC.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Nene- congrats!! keep up posted on how everything is going! I can't wait to hear.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We got an ultrasound at around 5 weeks because a horrible nurse at my PCP's office mistook implantation bleeding for a miscarriage, but I was convinced I wasn't having a miscarriage and was, in fact, very pregnant, and sought a second opinion from the midwives at Mt Auburn. The ultrasound was amazing. You could see and hear the tiny heart beating, and they gave us photos from it where you could just make out the head, two teensy arms, and a tail. My husband and I cried. It's funny now to look at my big girl and then at a photo of her with a shrimp tail.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks for all the input!

Enjoy your "time off" nene!!