Just for Fun -- cravings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Just for Fun -- cravings?

Hey, attempting to keep myself occupied before the game starts.

Anyone have any weird/fun cravings stories? 
    With my first I didn't have anything too crazy.  I'm normally a person who goes for the sweets but I found myself craving salty stuff early in my first pregnancy.  Later on, I was desperate without my daily banana.  I had at least 1, if not 2 a day.  I also was pretty desperate for spicy things.  At one point I was putting hot sauce on anything I could find, just to get the hot sauce.  I really loved (along the banana and the spicy theme) fried plantains with lots of hot sauce. 

I haven't had any specific cravings yet in this pregnancy, other than for things I can't have (like eggs benedict or a cuba libre haha)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Re: Just for Fun -- cravings?

I can't remember cravings, but I remember being REPULSED by chicken. And broccoli. Formerly two of my favorite foods. And that actually lingered for a long time after the births too....

I did ingest an unusual amount of ice cream, though! But I thought that was just good sense, not a craving! Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Cilantro. With both pgs, I couldn't get enough. Luckily fresh salsa and guacamole were good vehicles to deliver the cilantro!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Slush puppies (preferably blue raspberry) - I can't get enough.  Also, Slurpies and Icees won't do, it has to be Slush Puppy brand.  The worst part is that we can't find anywhere on the Cape that still carries them.  We did find a place over the bridge and while I've never made someone drive off-Cape to get one for me each time one of my family members is over the bridge they stop and pick one up.

Also, I find that I really like ice cream now.  Before my pregnancy it was something that I had a few times a year but never craved and now I have it once or twice a week. And for weeks 10-13 I couldn't get enough dairy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I had a thing for sweet potatoes.  I think it was more that I was trying to choose something healthier than french fries.  I also had cheesecake just a little more often than usual.  If I go home from work a different way, I can go by Cheesecake Factory, so I might have given into that idea a little more than usual :o)

Actually that reminds me... Give into your cravings and get yourself food while you can lol!!  When the baby was first home, I was dying for Dunkin and somehow forgot about the 2 drive thrus in the area.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I have been craving 3 things:
    pico de gallo - also loving the cilantro!
    skiing - which I have not done recently.
    wine - which I never drink.  Go figure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I was capital-C-Crazy over grapefruit! 

I also was caught one or two times sniffing the Palmolive Oxy dish soap...  and and after talking to friends, apparently it's not uncommon to being crazy over dish soap! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

For some reason this time around, at this point, I'm craving really BAD things like frosting and candy.  It gets so strong I can't think of anything else!!  Any ideas of how to handle this?  I've broken down and bought some things that then I regret because they make me feel crappy...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Poppy, would you be able to swap candy for like sweet fruit? or like satisfy it with a small piece of chocolate at night? I know my first one, I prefered more sweets than my current one. My husband and I used to share a chocolate bar after dinner during my first pregnancy - then I went on a watermelon kick for a while.

Right now, I like bland, bland, non-smelly stuff and I seem to go on one day kicks (other than lemonade and cranberry juice which is more regular). Like one day, I will really, really want watermelon, then one day I wanted chicken cutlet sandwich so much... then it was rice with ketchup. I do find some are recurring - like melons (cantalope or watermelon) usually pop up once a week or so, and same for rice with ketchup, Annie's cheddar mac and cheese.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

My latest one is root beer and root beer floats...I had one last night and it was the most delicious thing!  Last week I was on a peppers and veggie dip kick.  Also, I've been loving cereal with tons of milk (usually I'm not a big milk or cereal person.

Oh, and Indian food...I think I've had more Indian for lunch in the last month than I have in the last year! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

cwagner - I've tried that.  I'll have the fruit then continue craving the frosting. :/ Is there such a thing as frosted fruit?

I could try keeping dark chocolate on hand and see if that helps... thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Poppy- maybe not frosted fruit, but one of my favorite things is strawberries with Nutella. Or bananas with Nutella. Or pears. Heck, you could put Nutella on cardboard and I'd probably eat it. SO good...last week I ate a whole carton of strawberries myself...though I did give 2 or 3 to poor DH... :-P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Hmmmm....nutella.
    With my son, I craved fresh fruit. I couldn't get enough of it. And I would drink olive juice out of the jar. The hubby was so amused he snapped a picture of me drinking it.
    With my daughter, it was sweets.
    lol about the dish soap!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

cwag and Luv better not try to lunch together, lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

With my son I craved hotdogs (which I don't like).  You know the ones that are cooked on the rolling steamer machines?? I also craved chocolate Klondike bars.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Poppy, what about one of those hard candies--I forget what brand--that are like worther's but are strawberry cream swirl flavored?  That's pretty close to fruit loops, but it's only a hard candy and if you don't bite it it might last long enough to satiate the craving?

I've been hitting the grapefruit juice pretty hard recently.  Last pregnancy is was all bananas, all the time.  This time around it's all grapefruit. 
    And spicy things.  DH is working second shift so DD and I will get takeout tonight.  I"m really looking forward to getting Indian.  Tarka Dal, extra spicy (tandoori for her).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I am still mostly in the food aversion stage but I did have one weird craving for falafel at 8 a.m. Aside from that I've been liking mostly mushy foods - like cream of wheat, baked sweet potatoes, ravioli. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lissafro, I think LifeSavers Cremes (or something like that) are the creamy, fruity hard candies with swirls.  I love those things...  Jolly Ranchers last a long time and are very flavorful, too...a lot of bang for the "bad" buck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I can not get enough of smoothies, I make one everyday, and english muffins with peanut butter. And I have had a severe craving for the past week for a big, fat Italian sub. My DH had some salami in the fridge and I actually opened up the bag and smelled the meat....yeah....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Liz - Once or twice during my pregnancy, I got an Italian from Quiznos and also stuck it in the microwave to heat up more.  It was almost as good as a regular Italian :o)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Last time, my "first meal" post delivery was an italian sub.  It was the most delicious thing I'd eaten in ages!!!  The fact that you can't have it makes it so much more tempting!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

This time around I think my "first meal" might just be a Guinness haha. Irresponsible, but tempting to say the least. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

OMG luvRlboy, I think my "first meal" might have to be the same thing. Italian sub sounds so good...either that or a spicy tuna roll. And a big 'ole glass of white wine...and a latte...mmmm.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Tangerine, I second the wine! So many times when we've gone out I've been able to smell people's alcoholic drinks from across the table and MAN I'd kill for a glass of chardonnay, or a Corona with extra lime, or a Blue Moon with an orange slice....oh well.

Does seeing someone's post on Facebook involving "devil dogs" (not the food item but something unrelated) and then wanting actual devil dogs count as a craving? The other night I texted DH asking him to bring some home, JUST as he walked in the door. He ran to the corner store (literally...ran...haha) but they didn't have any. Finally got a box yesterday and ate 2 yesterday and one just now. So bad, yet so, so good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

these are really funny. last time, I ate a lot of mexican food (with jalapenos) because my irish husband can't tolerate anything more spicy than ketchup. I was trying to train the baby. this time, it is all I want... and of course, not easy for DH to tolerate. 

we have been having a lot of our friends over for dinner to tell them in person, and they keep bringing wine. it is kind of killing me to dump all of these half bottles... but they aren't going to make it 6 more months.

lissa- i remember when pregnant with my first, someone told me that you could actually drink guiness while breast feeding- that it helped with supply. have to say I never tried it... but let me know if you find a hospital that will allow adult beverages. I am imagining you sneaking one in your labor bag.

Sections
Shortcuts