Just for Fun -- cravings?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Just for Fun -- cravings?

Luv - It was my first meal too!  I was waiting and waiting for my sister to show up with my dang sub.  I tried to cut her some slack what with the Boston rush hour traffic and all ;o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

What is it with Italian subs?  I've admittedly had several throughout my pregnancy.  I microwave it for 60 seconds (probably overkill) and I wouldn't say it's as good but it's as good as it's going to get for now.

This weekend my craving was a ham sandwich.  I finally had one on Monday but after heating up the meat it didn't compare to what I was imagining in my head.

I'm back on my dairy kick.  For 3 weeks during my first tri I couldn't get enough dairy.  It seemed to slow down for awhile and now I'm all over it again.  It must be my body telling me I need more calcium. It's amazing how the body works during pregnancy.

Poppy - could you trick your body with the dessert-like yogurts? The chocolate whipped yogurt might be able to pass as frosting?  Or the 100 calorie yogurt parfait that have the cookie crumbles - see there I go thinking about dairy again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

summer, sometimes when people are drinking wine I'll actually smell their glasses...to torture myself, I guess? I was at a party last weekend and my favorite type of Sauvignon Blanc was sitting on the table right in front of me. Oy.

Winter, my Scottish MIL says pregnant women were encouraged to drink Guiness back in her day ("for the iron!"). So maybe there's something to that...

I know, clc, I've eaten a few ham sandwiches after nuking the ham, and it just isn't the same - gets kind of dried out and curled up, blech. Better than nothing, though. I'm seriously going to tell DH tonight that he needs to run out and get me an italian sub after LO is born, though...we'll be in the Longwood area, so surely there's a decent deli somewhere around there!

Oh, and one other thing - I'm totally going to make a batch of brownies when I get home from the hospital and eat like half the raw dough ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I work near a brewery and the smell when they are brewing nearly gets me every time I go outside. I wish I could go in and help myself!

Clc - I am with you with the dairy but had a bad reaction to my milk yesterday. Boo. I hope I will get over it soon enough because I was really loving milk a lot more than normal! I can only drink organic though. Not sure if it's just in my head but it seems to taste a lot better.

I don't really eat meat but I have been thinking about chicken lately. It's probably the protein that I'm craving. I couldn't imagine actually trying it though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

winter, maybe you could cook with the wine instead of dumping it?  Make sure it's hot long enough to denature the alcohol, of course.  I use a couple of tablespoons of wine to deglaze just about anything.  If you're cooking with stainless, it's a lifesaver for cleanup, and you get the flavor and brown goodness off the pan and into your dish instead of down the sink!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: Just for Fun -- cravings?:
    I don't really eat meat but I have been thinking about chicken lately. It's probably the protein that I'm craving. I couldn't imagine actually trying it though.
    Posted by cicirose

Cici - that's so weird because normally I eat a lot of chicken - like 4-5 times a week - and pregnancy has pretty much ruined it for me.  I couldn't even look at it in the first tri and now there are some days I can tolerate it and some days I can't.  I've also found that half way through eating a meal with chicken I will get creeped out and need to stop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

clc- ditto on the chicken! Shortly after I found out I was pregnant, one of the meals I made was baked chicken breasts and broccoli. Since then, I cannot even look at a chicken breast unless it is breaded or chopped up and mixed into something like a wrap, salad, etc. Just thinking about seeing a grilled chicken breast on a plate still makes me gag. I can't stand broccoli anymore either.

That said, I need to increase my protein intake. I get 3-4 servings of dairy, and some PB every day, and maybe some eggs, beef, or beans a few times a week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Summer - you could try adding in hummus to one of your meals or snacks.  It's a good source of protein and delicious.  I recently started bringing a 100 pack of pretzels and a small container of hummus to work for my afternoon snack.  If you're getting 3-4 servings of dairy a day then you're probably getting a decent amount of protein even on days where you don't eat meat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mandyacone. Show mandyacone's posts

With my second child I couldn't get enough root beer (diet of course).  I must have gone though a couple liters a week!!!  And ice ...  loved the ice!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayesq. Show mayesq's posts

Carbs!! And roast beef. Yum.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

I have this awesome diagram on my pinterest board right now about if you crave x, what your body needs is y. It's been very helpful as I try dropping the baby weight (and accurate, these things do kill my cravings).

http://www.freeformfitness.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cravings1.jpg

When I was pregnant, I didn't have my same love and obsession with bread and sweets, thought I had conquered my habits, but alas no, as soon as I gave birth I was back to breadsticks and eating the leftover frosting :)

FWIW, I also could not seem to drink enough, like 3-4 full glasses of water with dinner, well over 100 oz of water a day. Granted I retained a TON of water. Everyone including nurses and doctors said that was great that I was drinking so much water, but I have a very strong feeling it was an early symptom of my pre-eclampsia that someone besides my mother in law should have noticed.

Lissa - Gweneth Paltrow is quite famous for bellying up to the bar for a guiness late in one of her pregnancies. It's a great source of iron and calcium as long as it's a one glass/one time thing (like on St. Patricks day)
    http://www.parentdish.com/2006/03/30/gwyneth-paltrow-likes-her-guinness/

Sections
Shortcuts