managing sensible weight gain - tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Re: managing sensible weight gain - tips?

thanks all.  great tips all around, and i'm especially intrigued by the gestational diabetes diet.  i'll ask the dr when i go next week.  the only deterrant for me is i don't feel like tracking all of the carbs/proteins/veggies/etc. in everything - seems like a total drag.  GC, do you mind posting a few of your typical snacks/meals if you remember them, so i can get a sense of what types of things worked? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wiping out all refined sugar and simply carbohydrates (mainly white flour products like crackers) is a big portion of a diabetes diet.  

Snacks are protein and complex carb centered.  Hummus or peanut butter (protein and good fat) and celery (complex carb).  

Starchy vegetables (like potatoes and carrots) aren't as good from a sugar perspective as non-starchy ones (like brocolli, cabbage, and spinach).

Replace anything white (mashed potato, white rice, etc) with whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, beans, etc.  Watch out, though, "whole wheat bread," usually has refined white flour as the main ingredient unless it says, "100% whole wheat."

ETA:  And, use a measuring cup.  1/2 cup is a whole serving of grains, not 1/2 a dinner plate full.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Honestly, just ask your doc for a referral to a nutritionist.  He/she should have all sorts of good ideas for snacks, recommended serving sizes, etc ... because it varies.  I didn't find it that onerous -- certainly better than the alternative. 

Snack ideas: 1/2c plain greek yogurt with frozen blueberries & about 1/3c. Kashi Go Lean crunch.  Raw veggies with hummus or bean dip & whole grain crackers.  Oatmeal with fruit & almonds.  Minestrone soup (homemade -- almost all canned soup was out b/c of sodium) with some parmesan cheese on top.  Laughing Cow cheese wedges with crackers and fruit/veggies.  A whole grain waffle with peanut butter and half a banana on top. 

It was mostly common-sense -- I walked in knowing most of it, just needed the guidance and inspiration that an in-person appointment with a professional gives you (rather than just Googling this stuff).  I think I already posted this, but the things I learned that I hadn't known were pretty simple: 15g of carbs is considered a serving, so I often had to adjust the "serving size" listed on the label to hit that mark.  110mg of sodium or less is truly low-sodium -- most processed food is much higher.  And eggs are the most easily-absorbed form of iron and whole eggs are preferable to egg whites for pregnant ladies. 

I'm sure there was other stuff.  But those I remember. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, GC, it's great to have an idea of your "list."  I'm definitely going to ask about the GD diet when I go in 2 weeks, and maybe will see about going to a nutritionist as well.  I was brought up with bad eating habits and have never truly been able to shake them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re whole grain crackers, those are, in fact, great snacks for GD.  But, be sure you check the ingredient list.  Lots of crackers say "whole grain" when the main ingredient is refined white flour.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're really at a loss, a straightforward starting point has 4 diet points:

1.  Absolutely NO refined sugar (drinks included) or white flour
    2.  Eat twice as many vegetables than fruit
    3.  Eat 4 servings of whole grains or legumes per day (brown rice, quinoa, black beans, kidney beans, peanut butter, hummus etc).  A serving is 1/2 a cup.  Use a measuring cup.
    4.  Lowfat/fat free dairy, 4 oz servings of lean meat, the size of a deck of cards

Fill up mostly on #2.  Dip veggies in hummus or peanut butter, but use a measuring spoon; serving sizes matter.  2 Tbl is not a lot.

Save time and money by using frozen vegetables.  They have the same nutritional value, are all washed, chopped, and ready to throw in the pan.  Trader Joe's has wonderful mixes with light garlic sauce that you just have to heat up.  You can slice up some chicken and toss it in for a quick, filling, tasty stirfry.

Go to a local orchard and stock up on your favorite apples.  They make a great 100 calorie fiber filled snack with pectin that is a natural hunger suppressant.  When you feel like a candy bar, cut up an apple and savor that instead.  By the time you're done, you won't be "dying" for a candy bar anymore.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

FYI, on the grains issue, the 1/2 cup serving size is COOKED, not dry.  If it's easier to measure out dry, cut it in half - so 1/4 of dry rice, quinoa and beans is a serving size.  TBS measuring size is not heaping; it's even [which essentially means flatten it out when measuring]. 

Adding spices is a good way to jazz things up and can help satisfy a sweet tooth. For example, an apple and peanut butter is great, but if you really want a candy bar it's not going to help. If you sprinkle it w/ cinnamon, you get more bang. Even better - bake the apple [cored and peeled] in the oven w/ some cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. You can't fool yourself that it's apple pie, but it is tasty.  GL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF, great points.  Mrs. Dash makes fabulous spice blends with no salt, far more than the "original" - my favorite is the Chipotle mix.  Very flavorful and it eliminates the time it takes to add each spice individually and figure out the ratio.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Stefani - congrats!  And here's hoping you get to indulge yourself and nurture just one baby this time.  It's my only regret about having twins. I can't even imagine life without both of them, but I often wish I had the chance to take care of one infant. As you know, the whole image of mommy and baby in the glider etc. simply doesn't exist with two.
    Anyway - Good luck with the eating. I managed to lose 20 lbs. before getting pregnant with my twins. I did it by following the South Beach Diet and walking. You could skip phase one and go right to phase 2 - NO white carbs (potatoes, white bread, pasta, etc.) only whole wheat breads, brown rice, and sweet potatoes (which are full of fiber and beta carotene). Lots of veggies and small amounts (3-4 oz) of good protein (lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs) Low fat cheese is also a good protein (and calcuim) choice. Fruit for dessert - apples and berries are all great "low carb" fruit choices.
    I did go to the nutritionist when I got pregnant and she actually recommended Barilla Plus pasta for those times when you need some carbs - it has fiber and protein in  it so it's more healthy - and works great when you need some starch to stave off the morning sickness. And she mentioned the Eggland's Best as really being better than a regular egg - more Omega 3 etc.
    Again - Good luck!!! I'm really happy for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Misslily, I'm not a nutritionist, but I do have a passion for the topic, and I have to say that I think South Beach is the BEST "diet" out there, imo, and before it was a well-known diet (possibly before any books were published on it at all), that's exactly what I did to lose 30 lbs myself.  And, since it's so popular, there are tons of recipes and books that provide limitless suggestions and counsel.  20 lbs is a LOT, and I'm glad you did it the healthy way!  What I love about it most is that you can do it forever since it really is just a healthful way to eat, not a ridiculous fad diet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

For me, I can't jump into a completely brand new eating regimen when I decide I want to eat healthier.  I need to start simple and add (or take away) gradually so that I can feel successful and be motivated to continue. So this week it's no refined sugars except what is in my greek yogurt and whatever trace amounts are in my whole grain bread.  This is a huge accomplishment for me because in the past few months I always had a bag of chocolates in my car, and visited the vending machine at least once per day.  I'm also bringing my breakfast and lunch every day.  These changes were as much as I could handle for my initial change.  Next week I'll try adding or taking away something, and so on.  I consider this first set of changes to be a huge accomplishment.

Just sharing for those who are like me and can't do a major complicated change all at once.  I think any healthy changes are beneficial, even if you take baby steps.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I find South Beach to be quite close to a diabetic diet.  Low in carbs - especially the white ones. But whole grains are okay.  3 meals and 2 snacks a day so you don't get hungry. The book even talks about pregnant women being on the diet when they are overweight to begin with and don't want to gain too much during pregnancy.
    I gained 65 lbs. with my twins. It all came off in 6 weeks - mostly through night sweats! (yuck).  I'm really glad I was able to start my pregnancy at a healthy weight.
    I do think Stefani should make an appointment with the nutritionist to be safe - but knowing how to substitute a healty choice for a not so healthy one can't hurt either.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Poppy, "just" cutting out refined sugar is a big deal.  If you were eating a candy bar's worth of chocolate in the car and a candy bar from the vending machine every day, that's 600 nutritionless (or "empty") calories a day.  That works out to be 219,000 calories per year in candy.  That's the energy it would take to burn 62 lbs of fat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Poppy - there is a section in that book about French Parenting (Bringing up Bebe) where she talks about french women not gaining a lot of weight, and losing it quickly. She asks them how they do it and they all say that they "pay attention." Not that they diet - they "pay attention." Meaning that they watch what they eat. One woman simply says "no bread."
    Maybe by not calling it a diet, they don't feel as deprived as we do.  They simply make smart choices and limit their portion sizes.
    I thought it was a great, more positive way of looking at eating. It takes all the guilt about "cheating" out of the equation too. If you're not dieting, you can't "cheat" (which is a horrible concept anyway).
    Sounds like that's what you're doing too!
    Good luck to all you pregnant mamas!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like that concept, misslily.  My mom said something similar; her whole eating philosophy was, "Only eat when you're hungry,"  another way of saying to be mindful without being restrictive about what you can and can't eat.  (If only she'd stuck to it...alas.  But, at least she taught me, thankfully.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hi all - bumping this post with a quasi-update/vent.  the pg i posted about back in march (this thread) was a no-go, but i'm PG again, about 9 wks 3 days, and assuming this one sticks, i need to vent b/c i've already gained... like 8 lbs.  when i first got PG i was 170, then i lost another 4.2 lbs so i was down to 165.8 (i've been using loseit and my fitbit pedometer like a champ!), but then went on a 2 week vacation and got back up to 170.  and now, after being back for a week and still tracking calories and trying to do the low-carb thing, i still see the scale climbing!  up to 173 today.  arggggh!!!  (normal weight for me is around 155, but i didn't get back there after my first pg, during which i climbed to 238 - omg horrific.)  i am SO frustrated b/c i feel like i am doing everything i can do (within reason - b/c you know you aren't supposed to starve yourself while PG, right?) and why are the numbers rising????  maybe i'm the type of person who just BLOWS UP while pg?  i just cannot gain the amount of weight i gained last time.  my weight has been a constant source of misery for 2 years.  i don't want to get up past 190 this time around, but that's looking unlikely since the scale is obviously not paying attention to my efforts.  i'm stressing.  it's probably not healthy.  :(  ok, thanks for letting me dump that out there on this lovely monday morning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

I hope all continues to go well w/this pregnancy.  Have you considered asking your OB for a recommendation for a nutritionist?  A nutritionist can help you figure out what and how much to eat to maintain a healthy pregnancy while keeping your weight gain to minimum. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Stefani - One thing I would consider in addition to the calorie watching is starting a weight training class if ok with your ob.  I realize you are pregnant but if you keep it light you should be fine - I am a huge fan of Body Pump.  I found this very helpful during pregnancy as it kept up my muscle tone which helps the metabolism.  My first pregnancy the weight came right off, no problem but this one I am still about 5 lbs up from my pre-pregnancy weight - I have had to start counting calories and of course, resumed exercise again.  Ugh!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Weight training is an excellect suggestion provided you do what your doctor approves for a regimen, of course, because you not only burn the calories during your resistence training session, but you build muscle (obviously) and that raises your resting metabolic rate so you burn more calories 24/7 the more muscle you have. Yes, you'll lose more weight in your sleep if you increase your muscle mass. Not to mention it will help when you have to hold a baby to have more tone in your arms to begin with!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ahh, would love to work on arm definition (i need it!) but i have no gym time.  my exercise consists of walking to/from work and a brisk walk at lunch... and if i'm lucky a brisk walk or two around the epslanade on the weekends.  i manage to walk at least 5 miles most days.  good call re: nutritionist.  i brought it up w/ my OB but she didn't really "bite" - she just said i could try to gain only 20 lbs over the course of the pg, and to try high protein low carb... sounds good in theory, but what the h&ll do i do to not gain more than 20 lbs?!  ha.  maybe next time, if the pg sticks, i'll ask for a nutritionist.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Stef, you can do push ups or dips on the steps for arm definition for two minutes before your shower every other day if you want arm definition. No need for gym time. You can do one weight bearing exercise a day at home on an exercise ball or on the floor with no equipment at all. Squats, lunges, pushups, dips, etc. actually, just sitting on an exercise ball instead of a chair tones your core and burns extra calories.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Stef - I totally hear you.  I have a really hard time fitting in exercise.  When I do manage to dedicate myself to it, I have adjustable weights that go up to 8lbs, from Walmart if I remember correctly.  Doesn't sound like a lot, but I managed to tone up my arms before the wedding.  I would do various exercises while watching TV at night along with cardio on the elliptical... which is also in front of the TV :o)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Stef - with twins?  I am sure you have good arm definition!  Or maybe it is just because I have a giant toddler - seems to have helped!

Time is definitely an issue - I have a class once a week that I can get to Sat morning and at least it is enough to maintain.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You don't need to go to a gym to weight train.  IN fact, you'll get better results and be less likely to hurt yourself if you use free weights at home.  Squeezing in a 10 minute weight training session for arms 3x per week is not time intensive.  It's commercial time.  Or bring 2-3 lbs weights [or more] w/ you on your walk and do some curls and presses.  Arms are one of the easiest areas to tone and get fast results. 

I too recommend seeing a nutritionist.  High protein and low carb should do it, but if you don't know where to begin, you'll need to get some guidance from a professional.  Other than not eating any prepared food [bread, crackers, relying heavily on cereal and granola bars, frozen meals, or anything prepared w/ more  than 3 ingredients, I think you've got good suggestions here. If they are too hard to follow, or don't appeal to you b/c you are used to only eating bread, crackers frozen items and other commercially prepared food, then you'll need to see a professional and get a written meal plan. GL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Stefani, I would push harder for a referral to a nutritionist the next time you see your OB, but in the meantime -- call your insurance provider to see if you need one or if nutrition is covered under your plan.  You might be able to self-refer. 

While you're getting that sorted, Google "gestational diabetes diet" (or eating plan).  That's a good, solid eating plan that emphasises the proper serving size of whole grain carbs (which pregnant ladies NEED for the B vitamins/folate), protein (high protein is actually kind of tough on your kidneys so that's not the whole story for pregnancy eating), dairy, & fruits/veggies.  It's also low sodium and low in refined sugar. 

And, if memory serves, the first trimester "weight" gain is a lot of water and bloating.  I don't think that it's indicative of a whole-pregnancy issue if you're proactive with diet and exercise.  I seem to remember gaining 5lbs right off the bat, but only gained like 18 for my whole pregnancy.   

And, not for nothing, but if you were 170 when you got PG and you're 173 today, you've only gained three pounds ...  You had twins, you lost almost 70lbs from your high weight -- that's significant.  You're going into this pregnancy 15lbs over your normal weight -- that's not the end of the world.  I get that it's frustrating, but you're still in a good position to have a healthy pregnancy.  Maybe try putting the scale away for a while -- it seems like it's getting in your head to a point that's not great for you or your bean, honestly. 

Sections
Shortcuts