Manual Pumps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Manual Pumps

You are all very clever for planning ahead. I preferred the stagger-into-isis-weeping approach. They were totally unfased, by the way. Apparently they encounter a lot of engorged, weepy women. That might even be the majority of their clientele.

As long as people are giving solid advice, let me add a couple kind of on-topic points: Lansinoh makes MUCH better shields and storage bags than medela. The Medela shields smell weird and they stick to you and roll up; the bags break. Plus all the medela stuff is literally twice as expensive as lansinoh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Fram it took a while to get the BRU completion coupon so you may not want to hold out for that...just an FYI!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

fram- it is really interesting what you tend to get off of registries- my work bosses/higher ups tended to chip in and get bigger things that were shipped to my house, work friends bought other stuff (not registry) like clothes and books, and my actual shower was mostly younger moms- and they got me things like the car seat base, throw up (the fact you can't use b*rf is really annoying) rags, and the like. So my experience was that the other newer moms were willing to buy not cute, but necessary things (one girl only got me BF stuff, another only first aid stuff... I loved it)

and- I second the lansinoah bag praise- I have a medela pump, and pump hands free, but I always use bottles (not the bags). Now that I have a sizeable stash, the flat rectangular bags are so much easier to store than the rounded odd shapes medela ones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Manual Pumps:
    [QUOTE]You are all very clever for planning ahead. I preferred the stagger-into-isis-weeping approach. They were totally unfased, by the way. Apparently they encounter a lot of engorged, weepy women. That might even be the majority of their clientele.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

I have nothing to add of substance, but lemon, I just have to say your way of expression is priceless

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ElmiraGulch. Show ElmiraGulch's posts

I pumped exclusively for my child and, while I used my electric pump (Medela) at home, I preferred my manual pump (Avent) when away from home.  I did not document any change in output between the two methods, but your own mileage may vary.  The electric pump had more parts to manage and clean, plus it required a reliable power source.  The manual pump was much lighter, easy to clean, and I could use it anyplace I could manage privacy.  As a colleague noted, she was able to use a manual pump on an airplane.  In total time spent pumping (including unpacking, cleaning, and repacking), I found the two methods to be equivalent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notanewbie. Show Notanewbie's posts

I used both a manual and an electric.  I had a Medela PIS that I kept at work along with microwave sanitizer bags for cleaning the parts.  I just transported the milk and bottles back and forth.  I also kept a manual pump on hand so that I could pump at night if the need arose and have it available for vacations or weekends away.  I actually got more output with my manual pump (maybe because it had a soft cup horn that better massaged the breast), but my hand got mega-tired after pumping for the amount of time I needed to empty the girls (usually 15 minutes per side).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from momofatoddler. Show momofatoddler's posts

Re the original question about manual pumps:  I bought one to have a lightweight travel option and I was barely able to get anything out.  Other women swear by them, so I do wonder if I wasn't using it quite right. I think I might ask a LC this time around (I'm due with my 2nd in a couple of weeks).

Re insurance coverage:  I had my first baby 2.5 years ago.  I had BCBS and my OB wrote an RX for "poor latch" AFTER I gave birth. That is key. Then the LC staff at BI arranged to have a pump delivered to my hospital room. Easy peasy.  It had to be a hospital grade for the first month, but I could return that for a PIS, which I did after about 2 months.  .

I am hoping all goes as it did the first time and I will get a hospital grade to leave at work and use my PIS at home. I asked my OB and she said that BCBS is the only insurance company that still makes it relatively easy to get a pump covered. I did call to get confirmation this plan will work, but understandably they are rather noncommital on the phone. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have Harvard Pilgrim and everyone at the hospital pretty much knew right away they they wouldn't cover a pump.  I rented one from the hospital for 2 weeks just in case - and thank goodness because I need it!  It was only $36.50 for 2 weeks or something like that.  I just bought an Ameda Purely Yours and called my insurance to check one more time.  They will only cover it if there is a severe issue like cleft palate.  I am seeing the LC again tomorrow, so I'm going to ask her if she knows any tricks and then drop it if she doesn't.

Sections
Shortcuts