March Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Re: March Pregnancy

Hey siena - according to my doctor and everything I've read, it's perfectly fine to sleep on your back into the second trimester. I'm (normally) an exclusive back sleeper, so I think I did that 'til maybe 20 weeks and then forced myself to switch to my side. My doctor said it's really not a big deal and your body would let you know if back sleeping was causing any problems, but I decided to err on the side of caution. She also assured me that if I wake up on my back (which I still sometimes do), that it's completely fine :)

Sounds like your DH has the right idea with the bolster pillow. I ordered a full-length body pillow from Overstock, and it's been great - I sleep with it between my legs, and it helps a lot with the hip soreness.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I still wake up most mornings on my stomach.  I'm 28 weeks at this point and have a sizeable bump so I'm sort of tilted to the side but I definitely have a lot of pressure on my stomach.  Is there anything wrong with that?  I start out sleeping on my side each night but it's inevitable that I end up on my stomach.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Siena - at the time I thought you had to sleep on your side from the beginning but it seems like it's not necessary right away.

I think I caught an ear problem from everyone on here! I have a small sore bump on my ear lobe that might be a little infected. I've had this before and got antibiotic ointment from the doctor to clear it up, like a strong Neosporin, but it seems that is not necessarily pregnancy safe. My primary care doctor is not local so I'm debating whether to go to the urgent care walk-in clininc or just wait a couple days to see if it gets better on its own.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If topical tea tree oil use is safe for pregnancy, and I don't know if it is, that's how I clear those things up (along with the occassional breakout or cold sore!).  It burns, but it works at least as well as any prescription.  Trader Joe's and Whole Foods sell the pure oil.

Side sleeping generally increases blood flow to your kidneys (reducing the tendancy for your ankles to swell) and placenta.  It also trains you to be able to sleep on your side when you actually must.  But, it's not necessary early on.  It's the weight of the uterus on your spine that eventually gets to be contraindicated.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

CLC, my ob always said it was fine to sleep on my stomach for as long as I was comfortable.
    Note for future: I am a hard core stomach sleeper and I did have to stay off it when I was nursing a lot -- the pressure make the milk block up in weird ways and I was afraid of blocking another duct.
    But by the time you're at the end, you'll probably have had to break the habit anyway, for comfort reasons!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Cici--if it's just a small inflamed area, you can try applying hot compresses (washcloths work well) to the area several times per day, and see if that helps clear it up. Although if you call your doc there is probably some pregnancy safe topical antibiotic. I know they will prescribe one to pregnant women for acne sometimes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

cici... did you ask your OB/nurse if you could use it during pregnancy?  maybe it's a non-issue?  (or did i skim and miss something.) 

i had an US earlier this week and it's just ONE - yay! - and my due date is estimated at 11/6.  since i'll probably have a scheduled c, i wonder if the new birthday will be the same as the twins!  :(  oh well.  so glad it's one this time - assuming it all sticks.  for some reason i'm kind of naseaus this time - since i never felt sick last time, i'm wondering if that's a bad sign.  stay tuned i guess!  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

This morning I woke up with a lot of anxiety, it eventually went away after I showered, but I don't know if it is the lack of sleep I have gotten or that I didn't really feel her move at all yesterday. Blah, it really stresses me out when I don't feel her :( Today she moved a lot, but I don't know if I can handle another 19 weeks of this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Hi Girls! I am finally back online and NOT pregnant!!  I ended up going to 41 weeks exactly, and literally an hour before I was supposed to leave for the hospital to have a post-dates test done (and beg for an induction) I went into labor on my own. I got to the hospital at 4cm with regular ctx 5 min apart and labored all day in the room and in the jacuzzi tub.  Got nubain once around 6cm, then at 9cm buckled and got the epidural.  I was afraid the baby was coming down OP and I might have a long pushing stage.  I got the epidural and slept for an hour or two while she made her final descent into the birth canal, then pushed for about 45 min and was *shocked* to find out she was 9lb 12oz!  I had only a first degree tear thank god.  My first DD was 40w5d and 7lb 12oz so this was a real shock, esp considering I put on the same amt of weight, measured the same, etc.  Had a little hiccup after delivery because I had a retained placenta and they had to manually remove it, but it was able to be done in the room and was ok since I had the epidural on board (still hurt worse than pushing, but not as much as unmedicated labor!!)  So thats my story in a nutshell.  My little girl is adorable and nursing well- my milk finally came in around day 3-4 and we are off and running now (day 4).  Just wanted to give you all an update! Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Congrats Hugh!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations Hughkona! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

CONGRATS HUGH!   It so great to hear that everyone is doing so well!  You must be so happy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yay, Hugh, CONGRATS!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congratulations, Hugh!  So happy to hear that you're not pregnant anymore. Enjoy your new DD!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats, Hugh!  So glad everything went well and DD is happy and healthy!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Congrats Hugh!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I am sooo glad it's Friday! DH and I are going for our 3D/4D ultrasound tomorrow. I am so excited! I'm glad we decided to do it, and I think we are going to keep the photos and DVD they give us private, at least until after she's born. There's got to be at least something we don't need to share with everyone! Then we'll have a nice dinner somewhere hopefully...any recs in the Coolidge Corner area? (or anywhere else in Boston, we can hop on the T...)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Yay, congratulations, Hugh! SO happy to hear she finally arrived, and without induction!! So funny, my coworker who was due 3 weeks before me went to 41 weeks and had a 9 lb 13 oz baby. Man, my DS really seems like a peanut among all the other babies I've heard about recently! Glad to hear everything is going well. Enjoy your new daughter!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Hugh on your little girl!

And congrats to Stef on the good us results and only having one :o)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I have a question about sleeping. Last night I got about 2 hours total because I was so uncomfortable switching from side to side. I have one of those pillow things that props you up in bed and was wondering if that is ok to sleep with? I would be on back but at a significant angle.

Any other suggestions??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Congrats Hugh!!

Summer, how did your 4d U/S go? Where did you end up going to dinner? Such a fun date night!

Liz - sleeping is rough for me too.  I was under the impression that sleeping on your back on an angle is completely fine during p/g.  The only dangerous thing about back sleeping is when you are flat on your back, and even that is ok as long as it doesn't make you dizzy.  So I think your plan of sleeping on your back at an angle is a good one. I hope it works! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - I think that sleeping proped up on your back would be fine.  The woman that ran our maternity class suggested sleeping in a recliner for the last few weeks of your pregnancy.  I would assume you would sleep on your back in the recliner so it's essentially the same thing.  I think your body will tell you if there is any problem.

I heard about the pregnant woman that was killed in Florida over the weekend.  She's from Medford.  My heart goes out to her DH and family.  I got so worried last night, I feel like we should do some sort of roll call on here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Liz - I have a hard time sleeping too!  I am up half the night.  I asked my doctor about sleeping on my back and she said it was fine and that my body would tell me if there was something wrong.  She didnt seem worried about back sleeping at all.

We started registering this past weekend.  What essentials do I need to register for breast feeding.  Also my sister suggested the Born Free Bottles are the best.  She works in a pre school and helps in the infant room and find they are easiest to clean etc.   

Also I have been having a hard time with my mother and need to get it off my chest.  First, she lives in Florida and isnt going to my shower but will be here for the birth of the baby.  I understand that she can not make it because of financial reasons but it still hurts. Also I think it hurts because my baby isnt going to know her since she lives so far away. Second, I texted her when I felt the baby for the first time and how excited I was.  She replied thats it is an  incredible feeling and arent I glad that I was taking the healthy route now.  Insinuating that I was going to "party" while being pregnant?!?!!  Told her that never entered my mind?!?!?!  But seriously why would she say that!  It was so upsetting.  Then finally this weekend she sent a text saying that she was at the beach, and please dont wear a bikini this summer.  I just found it so rude!  I know that I need to talk to her and tell her to cut it out and if she doesnt have something nice to say then dont say anything at all!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  This is going to take so much more energy than I want to put into it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pugs, sorry you're having such a hurtful time with your mom.  I hate to say this, but it sounds like you'd be much happier if you accept and expect her to be rude because she's a rude person.  We don't like to think about our parents not being the people we wish they were (and probably spent most of our lives assuming they were), but they are just people.  Some people are mean, rude, and selfish, and your mom is one of them.  I know it's hard, but you CAN train yourself to not take it personally IF you internalize these thoughts, "My mother is a rude person, and she's this way all the time to everyone including herself.  It's not my fault and there's nothing I can do about it other than expect it so I'm not so disappointed and hurt every time something mean comes out of her mouth.  I love her as she is, but this is how it is and how it's going to be."  Internalization takes repetition, considerable time, and commitment to training yourself to replace getting hurt every time by this response on an emotional, gut level, but you can do it, and you'll be happier for it.  A short mantra for emtional emergencies, "My mother is a mean person.  It's not my fault and has nothing to do with me."  Repeat as often as necessary.

This is not to say that you shouldn't speak up and tell her how you feel.  But, be thoroughly prepared for an old dog to not want to learn new tricks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

But the thing is Kar, she has never been like this before and she doesnt do it to my sister.  Maybe she just doesnt get texting and that you can not see/hear  emotion.  It is really weird.  I know that she is excited for the baby and keeps sending clothes.  I just dont get it.

In Response to Re: March Pregnancy:
    Pugs, sorry you're having such a hurtful time with your mom.  I hate to say this, but it sounds like you'd be much happier if you accept and expect her to be rude because she's a rude person.  We don't like to think about our parents not being the people we wish they were (and probably spent most of our lives assuming they were), but they are just people.  Some people are mean, rude, and selfish, and your mom is one of them.  I know it's hard, but you CAN train yourself to not take it personally IF you internalize these thoughts, "My mother is a rude person, and she's this way all the time to everyone including herself.  It's not my fault and there's nothing I can do about it other than expect it so I'm not so disappointed and hurt every time something mean comes out of her mouth.  I love her as she is, but this is how it is and how it's going to be."  Internalization takes repetition, considerable time, and commitment to training yourself to replace getting hurt every time by this response on an emotional, gut level, but you can do it, and you'll be happier for it.  A short mantra for emtional emergencies, "My mother is a mean person.  It's not my fault and has nothing to do with me."  Repeat as often as necessary. This is not to say that you shouldn't speak up and tell her how you feel.  But, be thoroughly prepared for an old dog to not want to learn new tricks.
    Posted by kargiver

Sections
Shortcuts