March Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

Re: March Pregnancy

well, saying goodbye to these boards for now.  very light spotting (almost like pale taupe CM), day 3, called nurse, US, no heartbeat - D&E tomorrow or thursday.  i'm OK with it... going to take some time to regroup.  hope to join you again someday with another potential singleton!  GL to all of you!  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

So sorry Stefani...nothing else to say, but that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Stefani - so sorry to hear of your loss.  You and your DH are in my prayers.  I hope to see you back here some day!

Fuzzy - I too found early on that I was starving by mid-afternoon.  Pre-pregnancy I wasn't a snacker, I would have 3 meals a day and that's it.  Now I have a mid-morning snack a few days a week and an afternoon snack everyday.  I try to make good choices but in the first tri if you're not feeling well it's hard.  At that point I resorted to oyster crackers because that's what settled my stomach.  Now that I'm not dealing with ms I have fruit and/or yogurt in the morning and hummus with baby carrots or a 100 calorie pack of pretzels in the afternoon.  Also, you may need to change around your normal meals for items that are more filling like oatmeal in the mornings which helps me feel fuller longer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Stefani - so sorry to hear this.  hugs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fuzzy, keep up the water, but don't use it as a substitute for snacking.  The key to being and staying fit is to make healthy choices (as long as they don't make you vomit especially in the first trimester).  If you can handle fruit and veggie snacks, i.e., they don't make you want to hurl, that's best.  You could start cutting up apples and carrot sticks, take celery and peanut butter, hummus etc., for work snacks when hunger strikes so you aren't stuck at the vending machine wondering what isn't AS bad as everything else.  A mix of veggie/fruit and protein will satisfy your hunger quicker and last longer.  Of course, if all you can handle is saltines and ginger ale, have those, but don't ignore your body's cues for more fuel, just don't fuel it with junk if at all possible.

Stef, I responded in the other thread, but, again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I'm so sorry Stef. Congrats on the boy Poppy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

wow, congrats poppy!  my goodness, your pregnancy went fast for me!  ;) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

fuzzy... I found the key for me in those early days was to figure out how many calories I was eating when snacking.  Even when pregnant, you do not need to up your calorie count until the very end.  For most women, 1800 calories is a normal day, and in the last couple of monthes you need an extra 200-300/day.  If you add snacks in, just make sure you account for that by eating smaller meals.  An apple, cut up red peppers, a handful of crackers ... none are really more than 100 cals or so, and that just means a little less pasta at dinner, etc.  I actually counted calories using an iPhone app (Lose it!) in the beginning because I was snacking ALL day and was having trouble keeping track of what I was eating.  Knowing that I was still within 1800 calories went a long ways towards being comfortable with the weight gain.  I knew it was all normal baby weight and not because I was over eating.  I actually ended up loosing ~5lbs in the first tri before I started to put it back on because I was simply eating healthier.  In the end I gained 30lbs, which is right in the middle of the 25-30lb range that is suggested for most women. oh.. and cut up veggies were awesome because the fiber also helped with the constipation/gas pain issue. I also gave up bananas due to that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

boston, good for you.  Calorie counting is NOT HARD and the ONLY way to have a real handle on weight gain (or loss).  I've counted calories for 15 years, keeping a running tally in my head.  I'm only 5 lbs over my lifetime "skinny me" goal, and I attribute that to my knowledge of calories.  The diet industry spends billions of dollars on convincing women that counting calories is too hard and complicated not because it IS, but so they'll BUY whatever they are selling (supplements, books, special foods, programs, etc) that works "better."  There's nothing better, and it's free.

Indeed, you are not eating for 2 if you're pregnant.  Most women eat 200 calories a day more than they need, anyway, with a daily coffee drink or salad dressing.

ETA:  Frankly, boston, you think and behave like the thin woman you are in your avatar.  It's the brain washing we get from the diet industry against counting calories that messes us all up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Oh jeez, I have never counted calories (I just pound the treadmill instead).  I'm going to try making my actual meals larger (for example lunch was a sandwich made with one slice of bread, now it will be with two) and see if that helps.  If I don't eat regularly these days I end up feeling nauseous...not good.  I snack regularly too, on fruit and yoghurt and stuff like that but I've found I needed to add an extra one right after the gym.
    Ugh, what did I sign up for??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're really in tune with your body (having not overridden your natural ability to sense when you're actually, honestly in need of more physical fuel) you don't ever need to ever count calories because your brain does it automatically for you behind the scenes.  

I never had to count calories until I married a compulsive overeater and started eating when I wasn't hungry on a regular basis partly to keep up with his habits (how dumb was I?).  As a result not only did I gain 30 lbs, but I wrecked my natural ability to recognize real hunger and only eat until I was satisified from a nutritional (not emotional or taste perspective). So, I doomed myself to have to count calories in order to not overeat for the rest of my life.  But, like I said, it's really not that big a deal, not that hard at all.  I know the calories in all the foods I tend to eat - my diet isn't so varied that it's impossible or even overwhelming.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Fuzzy - my doctor advised me to listen to my body in terms of appetite. Throughout my pregnancy, I haven't been eating very much more than I normally do, but I go through phases where I feel hungrier than usual. I try to satisfy that with healthy snacks - apple with peanut butter, yogurt, etc, like you said you're doing. Your metabolism increases during pregnancy - and no, while you're certainly not eating for two right now, your body is working hard to produce more blood, expand your uterus, grow your placenta, all that good stuff. So you may well need to eat a little more, or a little more frequently, to keep yourself fueled. I've gone through spurts in the past when I counted calories, but pregnancy has definitely not been one of those times (frankly, I have neither the time nor the mental energy).

At the end of the day, I'd talk to your doctor about it. My doctor's only real nutritional advice was a.) take my prenatal vitamins, b.) eat a colorful and varied diet, c.) get four servings of calcium every day, and d.) listen to my appetite - my body will tell me how much I need. I'd imagine your doctor's advice would be tailored to your body type and weight. Good luck and don't stress! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Stefani, I'm so very sorry. I'm thinking about you and hoping we'll see you back here VERY soon. Hugs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Stefani - Sorry to hear about your loss...Hopefully we will hear from you again very soon..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Stefani - I'm so sorry. I hope you are recoving from the procedure and that we see you back here soon.

Fuzzy - I'd say if you start feeling nauseous then you definitely need to eat. Eating often was the only thing that got me through the day in those early weeks. Typically I felt better in the afternoon after a filling lunch, but I still needed snacks a couple hours later (and then was STARVING again when I got home from work). But, just as a caution, don't eat too much at once because that can make you feel sick too. I've always watched my weight so it has been really hard for me to need to eat constantly and to watch the numbers on the scale increase. My mid-wife even brought it up that it's difficult for a lot of women, but it's a totally normal and healthy part of pregnancy.

Speaking of nausea - did anyone continue to get sick in the second trimester? I'm still throwing up some mornings but I don't even feel sick at all and there is no warning now!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Today I tried eating more breakfast, which helped with the dizziness for a while.  Then later this morning all of a sudden I thought I was going to vom all over my keyboard.  I ate something and don't feel as sick, but this totally sucks.  I go from slightly nauseous to about to vom...nothing in between, guess I need to pre-empt myself and eat regularly.  I can only imagine this is going to get worse over time..blah!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ugh, Fuzzy...I'm so sorry. Not easy to enjoy pregnancy when you are experiencing this, right? Have you tried eating some protein at breakfast? Eggs may sicken you, as they did me, and still do, but maybe some peanut butter on toast? I've heard that protein can help with the queasiness.

In my first trimester, the only thing that settled my stomach was slowly eating saltines and sipping on ginger ale.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Fuzzy, that's pretty much how I felt until a few weeks ago. I'm sorry! Just try to stay ahead of your hunger. Keep crackers or ginger snaps at work in case of emergencies and just bring a lot of food with you everyday. Also, make sure you're getting as much sleep as you possibly can. I find that the queasiness is 1000x worse when I'm really tired.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Fuzzy - sorry you're not feeling well.  I started carrying around with me some 100 calorie packs (ritz crackers, teddy grahams...) for emergencies.  Sometimes the hunger would sneak up on me and if I didn't eat something quickly I would feel awful.  I also stashed some in my car, DH's car and my desk at work. It wasn't a lot of food but it was something to get in my stomach to hold me over until I could eat a proper meal.  Also, I've heard some women mention that they keep crackers by the bed and would eat a few before getting out of bed in the morning.  I never felt like that was necessary for me because I'm not hungry for breakfast until 9:30ish but it could work for you.

AFM - 30 weeks today, I swear these weeks are flying by!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Just got the best news, my company is going to honor the 12 weeks paid maternity leave that was offered to me by a previous HR employee.  While that is not their current policy they feel bad that I was mis-informed so they've decided to honor it.  A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  They did suggest that I look into joining our new STD program in the case that we decide to get pregnant again which I will definitely do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

That is great news CLC!!!!  Especially with only 10 weeks to go! 

AFM, I'm almost 18 weeks.  I have my anatomy scan on Monday.  We decided we're going to go with the surprise for Baby2, as we did for DD.  I actually gave DH the option this time (I like the surprise, but last time he kind of wanted to know), but he said he loved being the one to tell me it was a girl, and wants to do that again. 

Looking forward to the new pictures, though.  Last time we compared them to DD's 12 week, so it will be interesting to do the same at 18 weeks. 

On the queasiness issue...just echoing what everyone else has said.  For me, adding a little lemonade or lemon slice to water is a big help, as is having plain crackers (saltines or oyster crackers) on hand.  Ginger ale also, but key is to drink it super slowly, so you're not getting too many bubbles. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Clc - that must be a HUGE relief!  Im glad you received the good news!

RI - Good Luck with your atamony scan Monday.  Its such a good feeling to be able to see LO.

AFM, 24 weeks yesterday, its going by so fast.  Our upstairs is totally gutted, I hope it will be complete by June so I can get the nursery already by the time the baby comes in July!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thanks, luv.  So exciting about your next u/s on Monday.  I really love the idea of DH telling me whether or not it's a boy or girl.  I think your DH's reasoning is adorable, that had to be a really special time for both of you!

One more thing I thought about when I was feeling nauseas it really helped to have an ice cold drink.  There was nothing better than ice cold lemonade or ginger ale.  In general I don't care about adding ice to my drinks and I sip from a room temperature water bottle all day but if my stomach is churning it seemed like an ice cold drink made the world of difference.  I hope things improve soon, Fuzzy!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fuzzy, you are on to something by your pre-empt comment.  Anyone I've been close to who has had m/s like you actually had a sleeve of Saltines in their hand all day long and muched away with little rabbit bites constantly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Ditto crackers.  I opted for stoned wheat thins (or saltines) because they were so neutral but not *too* dry.  The mere thought of Ritz or anything rich like that made me ill.  As Kar said, I would have them by my side and eat them all day to keep ahead of the nausea.
    Also, if you're concerned about weight gain, seltzer really worked for me (instead of ginger ale).  I don't know why, but it calmed my stomach more than plain water.  I would get bottles and let them get partially flat and then sip them all day.