March Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: March Pregnancy

Sorry you're going through that Pugs.  I would give her a call and let her know that you were hurt by her comments.  I bet that you're right and she doesn't understand how the text messages are coming off.

As for registering, I didn't register for a lot of breastfeeding stuff.  I decided to wait to see if our insurance (BCBS) would cover the pump.  I did register for two of the nursing covers because I'm not comfortable breastfeeding in front of others. Besides that I decided to wait on everything else.  As for bottles, we registered for two different types - Avent and Dr. Browns - to see what would work best for our baby.  We only did the small packs (2 or 3 bottles) to start and figured once we know what works we can purchase more.  I've seen on these boards that different brands work better for different babies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I registered for the Dr. Browns set, but I have also heard really good things about the Playtex Drop-Ins. I will probably try both kinds.

Pugs, I am sorry you are upset with your mom. One of the reasons I try not to have serious conversations with people over text is because it is so hard to read the tone. Someone can say something completely harmless but it may seem out of line in a text message. I am sure your mother didn't mean anything by it. But, if it really bothers you, give her a call.

Thanks for the sleeping tips, I think I am going to try sleeping propped up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

hi all, just a tip about choosing bottles - I didn't like Dr. Browns because they are REALLY A PAIN TO CLEAN!!!  They have about 5-6 parts and they all need to be taken apart, washed separately and reassembled.  I've heard the bottles are great for some babies because they reduce gas but if your baby doesn't need them/is fine on another brand then I'd defintiely go for something easier to clean.  I mostly BF my daughter so we weren't going through any more than 2-3 bottles a day but it was still such a chore at the end of the evening to clean them, and if you use formula, you would be using 6-8 bottles a day.  We used Avent bottles, which we were happy with (although i've heard many people say they leak too much) but I've also heard great things about playtext drop-ins and born free.  All easier to clean than DR. Browns.  Just a quick tip - not something I would have thought about before having a baby and saving any amount of time in cleaning bottles is worth it, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Pugs - in terms of registering for BF things, I agree with CLC to mostly hold off and see what's covered by insurance and make sure BF is successful.  You aren't supposed to pump for a few weeks after birth anyway, so you defintiely don't need a pump right away.  I'd just get a cover up (or even one of those aden & anais muslin blankets can be used to cover up in a pinch) and be sure to have plenty of Lansinoh on hand. Also, I'd register for a boppy pillow, which is helpful during BFeeding but also great to have as a pillow for the baby to do tummy time on or sit up in when the time comes.  Otherwise, see how it goes and after a few weeks if things are going well, then you could stock up on a pump, storage bags etc.  GL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Rama, I have heard the same thing about Dr. Browns, that they are a PITA the clean. My sis-in-law swears by Drop-Ins. They are the only bottle my niece and nephew ever used and had no problems with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

i totally agree re: BF-ing and waiting to get all the stuff you need until you know you'll need/use it.  and i second the dr browns are a PITA to clean sentiment.  unfortunately i'm stuck with my arsenal of them, but save yourself!  ;)  (if you do get them the dishwasher baskets they make are a lifesaver.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I second the Boppy pillow.  Plus, register for a couple of the pillowcase/covers, or register for the waterproof one.  That way if one gets dirty (it will--your baby will at one point blow out a diaper while eating, it's guaranteed at least once) you'll be able to have a cover on it while the other is in the wash.

After 4 or 5 weeks I didn't really need to use the boppy pillow because DD and I had become masters at the whole breastfeeding process.  However, at first I found it completely necessary to have a boppy or a whole awkward pile of other pillows to get into a good position with a good latch. 

You don't have to register for it but you NEED lanolin n1pple cream.  Lansinoh is the brandname of it.  I think Medela makes one that has some other stuff in it too, but it's more expensive.  Get the Lansinoh BEFORE you have your baby so you won't have to get it in the rush after when you're desperately trying to breastfeed and you are starting to get all cracked and chapped and bloody and whatnot. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I have a friend who swears on the Playtex Ventaire...so a lot of good brands out there other than Dr. Browns.

ETA: I got coupons from BuyBuy Baby and one was $50 off furniture, so we are going to buy our glider from there. If you get the coupons in the mail, be on the lookout! Oh and it may be over, but I think it ends on the 22nd, we got our crib from BRU for 20% off. They are having a huge crib sale.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Rama- the 3D ultrasound was great! We got to see baby's face and her in action. She was moving her hands a lot, which are always up by her face. She was also playing with the cord since it was right in front of her, and we even saw her smile a few times. What's in there to smile at, anyways??But it was great, we got to take the DVD and a CD of photos home. I wish it wasn't so expensive, though. Afterward we ended up in Harvard Square at Mr. Bartley's burgers. It was alright, I don't think I'd go back though- too crowded and not that great.

In terms of the other post about registering for BF supplies- I didn't register for any. I'm not sure how BF is going to work out for me, since I had breast surgery years ago...I just have a feeling that it's not going to work. I'll give it a whirl, but I will not be surprised at all if we end up formula feeding. That said, I registered only for bottles and such- no BF supplies. I figured if I want a pump I will rent one or get one later once I know it's a go, and I have no use for those crazy covers...I'll stick with a blanket just fine. I'll stock up on that lansinoh stuff and some nursing pads too, just in case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Summer, I am not registering for any BF supplies. I don't want to have people buy me a ton of stuff and then not use it. I am going to try to BF, but want an option for formula as well. Our insurance covers rented pumps, so I am going to just do that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

A couple of my girlfriends told me they got a breast pump from the hopistal so I am not going to register for a pump.  I was thinking about pads and the freezer bags etc.  I will definaltey get some lanolin. cracked, chapped, and bloody...Yikes.  Im scared...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

How much lanolin do you need?  Our hospital gives us a tube in our "going home bag".  Do I need to buy another?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

For BF supplies... I really liked the cotton re-usable pads in the beginning.  When I was just wearing a sleep bra, the disposable ones with the sticky backing would get all rolled up in the bra when I would feeed DD.  The cotton ones were a lot more comfortable for that reason.  I registered for one box of disposable pads and that is probably all I'll ever need.  I do not have an over-supply issue, so at 10weeks, I really don't need them anymore.  I leak a little at night, but still use the cotton ones inside a nursing tank for that.  One tube of lansinoh is good to have on hand, but the LCs at the hospital also gave me trial tubes of the Medela brand lanolin and that was plenty for the beginning.  I would definitely register for a nursing cover.  The brand I have is Bebe Au Lait and is really nice because there is boning in the neckline that makes it really easy to see the baby and what is going on underneath.  I dind't use it in the hospital, but needed it pretty much as soon as I got home because of all of the visitors.  By day 3 I was comfortable enough getting DD to latch that I could manage it with the cover on.  Medela also makes these moist gel pads to put over your n!pples between feedings when they are so sore in the beginning.  You can also get Soothies which are pads that you can put in the fridge.  You could register for those but not open them unless you need them.  They are expensive (~$10) but might be nice to have on hand in case.   The bags for freezing milk are not necessary right away.  I didn't start freezing until week 6, and by then we were pros at going to the store.  You could register for one box just to get you started, but see how things go before you get more. 

For pumps... definitely call your insurance and check out their policies.  My insurance did not cover pumps for ANY reason.  Since I knew I wanted to BF and was ready to do anything necessary to keep giving DD BM when I went back to work I bought my pump ahead of time.  This ended up being a good decision because I ended up needing to pump and supplement starting when she was 2 weeks old.  Also... if your LO is slow to start feeding in the hospital, don't be afraid of using one of the pumps they have there to start stimulating your supply.  DD was alert but not hungry for the first 24 hrs.  The nurses thought she might have had a lot of mucus still in her belly due to her speedy delivery and that can sometimes give them an upset belly.  So that first day I pumped a few times just to get things started.  I probalby only got 0.25oz ... but that is a lot for colostrum.  Later on I finger fed her what I had pumped.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Love all of this preparation talk!

I'm now 16 weeks along, and in the last day or two have definitely started to feel this little bean moving.  It took FOREVER to feel my DD move, so it's nice that I've got some early action this time! 

Also have started to officially move out of my "regular" clothes and into things where I actually look pregnant.  I'm so happy for the beautiful weather, since most of my maternity clothes from last time were dresses and I've been able to pull them out. I'm so happy to be able to be pregnant and not just look like bloated and off! 

Also, belated congrats to Hughkona!!! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

All this preparation talk got into my dreams last night.  I had a dream that I went into labor early and I was trying to rattle off everything that I needed my brother to pack and bring to the hospital. I woke up in a panic and thought I should get that hospital bag packed now.  However, I'm only at 28 weeks so I think I can still hold off :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I have been doing some research on nursery's.  Everything that I see seems over the top with trees painted on the walls etc.  I am looking for something simple and maybe a nautical or animal theme.  How this everyone else nursery's or ideas coming along? 

BTW - I spoke to my mom and she didnt realize that she was hurting my feelings and felt really bad about it.  She was wondering why I hadnt called her!  We are all better now ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Pugs - so glad you got things cleared up with your mom.  She'll most likely think twice before texting again.  I'm sure you weren't the only one that was taking her texts wrong.

As for the nursery, we don't know what we're having and we plan on having more kids who will share the same room so we are going very gender neutral.  Our walls are painted "Happy Camper" green (sort of like a kelly green) and we are doing a jungle theme.  A few hung pictures of various jungle animals and a jungle blanket or two.  I decided not to do the full bedding set because it feels like a waste of money.  And we did solid navy blue curtains in the room, they make the room super dark which should be a plus.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone.  Haven't had a chance to post much lately, but wanted to congratulate all the new arrivals and the new BFPs!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I didn't do much for the nursery.  We had light green walls in all the bedrooms upstairs.  I made curtains out of blue material with jungle animals.  That's it.  We didn't do anything with the crib other than a white crib sheet.  Now that she's older she has a blue comforter with animals on it.  They don't actually match the curtains from a set, they just have a similar color scheme.  
    For the new baby I'm not doing much.  I'll have to buy or make curtains (probably buy) but I'm not planning on doing anything specific.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

We painted this weekend, a yellow, it is called Copacabana from Benjamin Moore. Her room is huge, because we only have two bedrooms and they are both the same size.

We bought the crib last week because BRU is having a sale on them, 20% off all cribs. We are going to get the matching dresser that will also be a changing table.

I may have gone a little crazy, but oh well :) PB kids is always sending me coupons, and I had around $300 in GC's there, so I got her quilt (Daisy Garden in green) and we got some gingham printed sheets, one pink, one green. And I got the matching curtains and a green ginham crib skirt.

Yeah, so I went a little overboard, but oh well!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I found this website serenaandlily.com and also babybedding.com with some good ideas for the nursery.  I thought I would pass along!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

We have not really done anything about a nursery. We're still trying to figure out the logistics of living in a tiny 2 bedroom and planning for my mom to stay with us a couple days a week to help with childcare. I just wanted to say that I love that look of trees on the walls and was hoping to do that! Except I'd definitely just buy those stick-on trees rather than attempting to paint.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

pugs--so glad you were able to smooth things over with your mom.  I haven't done much thinking about nurseries (it's still very early for me!), but I do like browsing this website for ideas: 
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/categories/nursery_kids
    I like the focus on smaller spaces.

AFM, I passed the 6 week threshold, so not a chemical pregnancy.  6 more days til my u/s, not that I'm counting or anything :-/.  I had several dreams about getting this u/s last night--my brain was working out the ending in a number of ways.  Some of my dream ultrasounds went better than others. Sigh.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

The room we are using for the baby's room was already painted yellow when we moved in 3 years ago (the people we bought our house from had their baby's room there as well). So we decided it'd be less work for us to just leave it, it would serve either a boy or a girl. As far as themes go I knew I wanted something nature inspired, but NOT jungle/safari/butterflies/flowers. After lots of internet searching I finally came upon it...birds! Took a bit to convince DH as apparently birds are bad luck in Italian/Portuguese superstitions...but finally he relented and I won :-P  So we got this set from PB:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/penelope-nursery-bedding/?pkey=bgirls-nursery-bedding

I have a cute mirror hanging up too, and some other wall decorations. I figure it's a good combination of  being natural AND feminine.

Also, gotta share that I passed my 1 hour glucose test today- woo! I was so worried I'd fail...but I passed by one point- still counts! Also it's hitting me that time is going by very quickly...our OB appts are now every two weeks, and the office gave us our hospital pre-registration forms...where has the time gone?? I'm starting to think of things to pack in my hospital bag and ordered some items online from Walmart- some cheapy pajamas and a simple robe.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Birds are bad luck for those heritages?  I'm 1/2 Portuguese and DH is mostly Italian, and neither of us knew that tradition.  Interesting!  Glad you won - that's a lovely set.  And, congrats on your glucose test!  

Sections
Shortcuts