March Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: March Updates

Antimony, try scheduling future appointments for early in the day, if you can.  Most practices book on insanely short windows and if your doc is taking his time with you, he's always going to be running behind by midday.  Just my two cents. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Totally agree GC.  As a physician, I can promise my patients I will NEVER be late for my first appt.  Unfortunately, the most common reason I am late is because patients arrive late and then it snowballs from there.  Also, occasionally people just need a little extra help.  It is never because I am eating lunch!  

That being said, I get totally frustrated if I wait.  It is a very rare day I would keep someone waiting that long!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

I was considering that, and I have a very flexiable schedule so it's not really a big deal to switch things around, but this way I do not have to deal with rush hour traffic, I'd rather be sitting in a Dr office than in traffic :).  I'm just going to put a book in my purse from now on and s*ck it up.

Also question for you girls.  Did you get the NT scan done and why or why not?  My OB has me scheduled for a regular ultrasound in 2 weeks (which I would just cancel if I do the NT) so I will be getting one regardless.  I'm leaning towards no, just because I know a few people who were given very high odds for having a DS baby and they were fine.  I mean they will look for stuff like that at the 18 week ultrasound when it's a bit more accurate anyway, right?  I'm still on the fence about it and just wanted some opinions.  I'll still be getting the quad screen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

OK, my first embarrassing parenting moment....

I forget that I'm pregnant at work sometimes, and then I go to the ladies room and see my little belly and am entranced. So today, I'm in the ladies room, pants around my ankles in the stall and I'm feeling my belly. I don't realize it, but I am singing this really silly made up song I sing to the baby all the time, and I get busted!

One of the girls in my office comes in, and after maybe a minute she says "um, ML, are you OK?" I had completely been in the moment, and SUCH a not the right place for a baby moment. Oh well, I just love my bean!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pfeffer. Show pfeffer's posts

Too funny, ML!

Antimony -- we just had the NT scan today, and did it mainly for the reasons that IPW mentioned, plus, as first time parents, we're hungry for any additional information we can get about the baby, good or bad.  The measurements came out in the normal range, which is great, but they had a hard time getting it since the baby was in a funny position, and it took a while and lots of turning to finally wake the baby up and get it to move around.  I'm sure this was a pain in the butt for the technician but DH and I were loving every minute.

I thought that the wikipedia article on the NT scan was helpful:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuchal_translucency
    Here's a quote:
    "Nuchal scanning alone detects 62% of all Down Syndrome with a false positive rate of 5.0%, the combination with blood testing gives corresponding values of 73% and 4.7%."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Antimony -  I agree with GC.  First appt in the morning or if you can find out when the first appt after lunch is.  There is less chance for being late then.  Also, there was one day a week when my OB would be in the hospital covering the practice but was also seeing patients.  She was often late or called away on that day so I tried to not schedule appointments for then.  I sat with DH yesterday who had a 2:30 appt and was not brought in until 3:00.  We had people watching our kids so it was kind of annoying.  The office happened to share a waiting room with an OB/GYN and they were even more behind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Antimony, one thing -- the NT scan and the 18-week ultrasound aren't interchangealbe.  Check with your MD or genetic counselor, but that nuchal fold they measure is only visible for a couple of weeks around weeks 10-12, I think.  The NT scan is also done sooner, so if your ratio (and your risk is expressed as a ratio, not a "positive/negative" result) falls outside your comfort zone, you still have time to opt into CVS testing, amniocentesis, or other further testing.  It scans for Downs, and Trisomies 13 & 18 -- both rarer and more severe chromosonal defects. 

The NT scan isn't sampling fetal cellular material, so it's not definitive, that's true.  But to my mind, since I'm 35, it's our first, and we would have considered further testing had our results fallen outside our comfort zone. 

DEFINITELY talk to your doctor about this.  I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you that you have a limited window to see & measure that nuchal fold. 

Lastly, I will say this: I have a family member and a friend who both had less-than-stellar results from their early testing, and both were very vocal about how the test was worthless.  I respectfully disagree, and when pressing them for details, found a lot of inconsistencies between what they experienced with their practices and my NT scan experience.  It could be that it was a different screening test, or any number of factors.  You have to go with what's best for you, not someone else's negative experience. 

Hope that makes sense. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, and the quad screen is a separate blood test from the NT scan (also called the Early Risk Assessment, or ERA). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Antimony79. Show Antimony79's posts

Thank GC!!  I think you are correct in everything you posted.  I know the NT and 18w scan are not interchangable, but I know that they can check leg bone ratios and the nasal structure at 18w to also give you an idea if I am remembering correctly.  We have decided that we will be doing the NT scan afterall and have it scheduled for April 8th, if our ratios come back on the higher end then we will opt for an amnio.  We discussed it and just decided that the only thing we are going to take from it is whether or not we should opt for an amnio, and will not stress about the results.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, yes, there are TONS of other screening "points" during your pregnancy, but that nuchal fold measurement/screen is time-sensitive, just wanted to put that out there. 

We were the same way -- looked at it as information, rather than a pass/fail result, and were going to use the risk ratio to determine what kind of subsequent testing we wanted to opt into.  I think our general rule was that if the ratio came back at 50% higher risk than the risk of MC from a given procedure, we'd go for it (so, 1:125 or lower, we'd consider CVS, which has about a 1:250 risk for MC; 1:250 or so, we'd do amnio ... you get the idea). 

Luckily, it turned out to be moot, and we got nice high ratios that we're very comfortable with.  It's not the absolute certainty of a chromosonal profile, but it works for us. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

In other PG news -- hello, disrupted sleep.  Between having tummy sleeping become less and less comfy, having to pee all the time, and just kind of waking up uncomfortable/irritable all night ... good LORD.

Is this typical at almost 16 weeks?  I feel like it's a little early.  I'm probably going to break down and buy a body pillow in a week or so, and was thinking maybe some yoga/meditation before bed might help.  Any other tips?  I'm hoping it was a fluke thing last night, and I hate to complain, but UGH. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

GC-Sorry to hear about your sleeping troubles.  Are you typically a side sleeper?  If you aren't a body pillow may help.  I am and didn't really start having disrupted sleep until a few days ago (I graduated to the waking up 2x a night to pee club). We have a pillow top bed and getting in the bed is such a pain.  That's the one time of day that I definately feel pregnant without fail! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Ok Nene and GC you are scaring me.  I have been peeing 2-4 times per night.  Normally I sleep straight through.  Is it going to get worse????  I am only 11 weeks.

That being said, I can't complain.  I had energy today. What a concept! I had forgotten what that felt like! :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Yes, sleeping is not the relaxing activity it used to be.

I'm like you IPW - I never had to get up and pee in the middle of the night before now.  I'm kind of proud of myself for getting rather good at it at this point... can do the whole thing pretty much without opening my eyes.

I'm terrified at being told I can't sleep on my back, which I've heard at some point I'll likely be told.  Again, IPW - I am totally with you on my arm falling asleep when I'm on my side!  Also, it makes my hip ache.  How does a body pillow help that?

LIL - Like you, I finally don't feel so exhausted all the time at 11 weeks!  Yay!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

OMG ladies!  Sleeping during pregnancy is horrible isn't it? 

I've never had any problems sleeping before I was pregnant.  Like IPW, I rarely woke up to go to the bathroom and I never had any trouble falling asleep.  I'd literally fall asleep the moment I went to bed! 

But I swear since day 1 of pregnancy I've had problems.  I immediately got restless legs syndrome - even before I knew I was pregnant!  This makes falling asleep so difficult.  I've asked my doc and he basically said it's just one of those things. 

The body pillow has definitely helped.  I highly recommend it.  DH got me a full body boppy pillow for Christmas and we've been inseperable ever since :)  It's like a giant "C" that you cuddle.  Don't worry about when exactly to not sleep on you back anymore.  You will just know.  You'll either feel numb in your arms and legs or you'll feel like your back is going to break from the weight of your bump. 

But it's all for a good cause, right?  That's what you have to keep telling yourself anyway!  I also read it's the body's way of preparing you for lack of sleep after the baby comes.  Isn't that nice of our body?  ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

My update: finally called the doctor and made an appointment for in a few weeks.  Also went for a blood test and am waiting for the results to confirm what I think I already know. 

Feeling pretty good, although tired and a little nauseous.  If I'm as far along as I think, I'm right about the 8 week mark.  Since we had the miscarriage last time, I've only told a couple of people, but I'm looking forward to feeling more secure and sharing it with more people in a few weeks.  It's hard keeping this secret!  Especially since it feels like there are new pregnancy announcements in my group of friends every day!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I'm terrified at being told I can't sleep on my back, which I've heard at some point I'll likely be told.  Again, IPW - I am totally with you on my arm falling asleep when I'm on my side!  Also, it makes my hip ache.  How does a body pillow help that?

Poppy--I am a back sleeper and wanted to tell you that I slept on my back for my whole pregnancy. Even when I fell asleep on my side, I woke up on my back. I brought it up with my OB and she said that as long as I was comfortable, then it was fine to sleep on my back. She also said that your body will let you know quickly if it's not OK! Plus, she was happy to have me get any sleep I could get. So enjoy your back for as long as you can. :)

ETA--I always sleep propped up on a couple of pillows, so I was never flat on my back. I that that, combined with our Tempurpedic bed, made it feel OK to be on my back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks Kiwi - good to know it may not exactly be "forbidden", rather just uncomfortable. I've also started sleeping propped up on 2 pillows, so maybe that will help...

Trouble - I also have restless legs syndrome!  I rarely tell people because I figure they'll think I'm wacky, but it can make sleep difficult.  I especially notice it when I sleep on my side - after a while, the leg I am leaning on gets "restless" then, forget it, no sleep unless I get up, stretch for a while, and take a Tylenol (which somehow helps). 

So I went and bought a "Be Band" from Target this weekend.  It is completely unhelpful at this stage.  It's too big, and the material is thin, so you can totally tell my pants are unbuttoned - you can see where the button sticks out.  I don't know if the actual Bella Band is thicker, but I may end up returning this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting!  I always thought back sleeping was a big no-no for some reason, but I just read that in the third trimester, sleeping on your back can put pressure on the blood supply to your lower body, but it would hurt enough to wake you up, like kiwi's doc said.  I wonder why there's this myth floating around that you MUST not sleep on your back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

kar--I know of friends who became dizzy or nauseous when on their backs and so couldn't sleep that way. But, of course, that falls under the category of trusting one's body to tell one when something is OK or not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Poppy - I just bought bella band online.  Who knows if it will help.  I'll let you know.  In the meantime, I keep stuffing myself into my regular pants.  Actually, everything still fits pretty well but, again, the muffin top and now the gut  - not good!

I was almost asphyxiated by my sports bra yesterday at the gym.  Guess I have to look around for something else!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Poppy-My doctor told me the same as Kiwi's doctor regarding being on one's back.  My prenatal yoga class also started the class with relaxation on one's back (only if it were comfortable).  I think it totally depends on the person and I've heard that if the baby is positioned on the vena cava (a major blood line) that you'll immediately feel discomfort and dizziness, which is why doctors started recommending that women should not be on one's back.

Re: The Be Band.  It does work best if you double it over.  I think you won't be able to tell that your pants are unbuttoned if its doubled over (I'm 25 weeks at this point, so my buttons are below my navel at this point). At first, I didn't like that you could see the line of the band on your clothing but I've become accustomed to it.  You may want to try it that way before returning it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Good idea, IPW!  That didn't occur to me... I will try that!

Sections
Shortcuts