May 2013 pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Re: May 2013 pregnancy

ALS, so exciting that you are past your DD1's due date.  Let's hope you just keep on going.  Watch, this one you'll be two weeks late and begging to deliver :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

IPW--hooray for a good scan! Hope you get good news from the materniti21 soon!

I had my 34 week appt too. Now appts are getting closer spaced. I go in again at 36 weeks and weekly thereafter. Baby is head down, so hopefully she stays that way. I'm  starting to get really excited! Things are feeling more real now for sure. 3 more weeks until she is full term!

I did find out that I'm GBS+. Oh well. Glad I live in an era of antibiotics and can mitigate that risk for my baby. (What do home birth ladies do about this? I don't think you can get IV antibiotics at home, and I read 25% of women test positive for GBS. Without treatment, odds of transmission is 1:200 and it can be very dangerous for the baby. One more reason I would never consider a home birth...)

We took a free infant CPR class at Babies R Us recently. I found it really helpful and I think it was a good refresher for my DH too. (He is already certified.) I would recommend taking advantage of their classes if you live near a Babies R Us. 

I've got my childbirth class coming up soon, and like ALS I'm startin to think about washing some newborn clothes and packing the hospital bag sometime soon. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Hi Everybody! DS arrived Saturday at 5:42 pm, so I have had a very busy last four days.

Much like DD, labor with DS was very quick. I had used hypnobirthing with DD, and took a refresher in preparation of DS's arrival. Once again, I can't say enough about how it really worked for me to have a quick and calm labor. I started having contractions Saturday morning, probably around 7 am or so. They were about 15 minutes or a little more apart, so I woke DH up and we started gettting ourselves ready - DD to our daycare provider, who had offered to take care of her for us during labor, the dog to the kennel. I stayed home and got our hospital bag finalized, and listened to my hypnobirthing cd one last time. All the contractions at through the day were 20-30 seconds long, and easy to breathe through with a few slow breaths. They were gradually getting closer together, so around 4 I called the doctor, and they said I should go to the hospital. We got there just before 5 pm. I actually made it to a triage room this time (with DD I was taken right to a delivery room), but my water broke at 5:15 as I was changing into a gown. All over the floor and my socks!

At this point everything jumped to warp speed. I started having really intense contractions one right after the next. I was wheeled to a delivery room, and was told I was ready to push. After 4, maybe 5 pushes DS was born! He was 19 inches and 6lbs. 3 oz. with blond hair. We are over the moon happy, and glad to be back home, even if we really could have used that extra 8 days to get the bassinet and changing table set up before he arrived. and maybe more of the house cleaned up ;-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, Amy-Lynn!!  Wow, you are a living ad for hypnobirthing - so happy it worked so well for you and your babies.  Sounds like as good an experience as giving birth can be.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations, Amy-Lynn!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats, Amy-Lynn! Glad everyone's healthy and it sounds like you had a good birthing experience. 

ALS, glad you're farther along now than with DD! Hope you continue to full term!

Siena, What's GBS? Gestational disbetes (not that the acronym spells that lol)? That seems like a large percentage of women! Do you know what the causes are?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations Amy-lynn!  Sounds like a great birth experience!  Glad you & DS are healthy and doing well!

GBS is Group B strep.  It's a completely asymptomatic and generally benign bacterial colonization on your skin, but can be transmitted to baby during delivery, which can be dangerous.  As a result, pregnant women are routinely screened for this late in the 3rd Tri. These links have some useful information:

http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/about/prevention.html

http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Amy-Lynn... congrats.  What an excellent experience... and so quick!  Enjoy your blondie!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Amy Lynn - Congrats on the birth of your DS!  Sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful birth experience!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Congratulations on your new babies, amy-lynn, Chiclet, and med!

My DS, Graham, was born last Wednesday (5/8) at 2 pm. He was 6 lbs, 8 oz. I also did Hypnobirthing, but my experience was vastly different from yours, amy-lynn. I woked up at 3:30 am on Monday (5/6) with contractions that lasted throughout the day and throughout the next day without ever getting regular or very intense, although they were mentally draining. At 11:30 pm on Tuesday (5/7) I woke up with intense contractions that I knew were the real deal.

I woke my DH up around 3:30 am on Wed (5/8) and he called our doula. We labored at home until about 7:45 am, and the contractions got to be about 2 minutes apart. They were very intense (even inducing vomiting) so I spent time in the shower trying to ease the pain. We got to the hospital around 8 am (and walked 1/2 mile from the parking garage with strangers staring at me as I contracted).

At triage, I was 5 cm dialated and 100% effaced. My favorite midwife was working, and I had a very pro-natural childbirth nurse, so my support team at the hospital couldn't have been better. Eventually, my water broke, and I instantly had the urge to push NOW. The water was greenish, so my midwife was concerned about meconium. I pushed for over an hour and it was the hardest, most painful and intense experience of my life. Turns out DS was face-up with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck, body, and ankle, so he kept being sucked back in. When DS was born, they whisked him away to the warmer to make sure he hadn't swallowed meconium (which he hadn't, fortunately).

Although my labor was much longer than anticipated, and the delivery was harder than anticipated with the face-up and umbilical cord issues, I couldn't have asked for a better birth team and I am SO delighted I was able to do it without drugs. And most importantly, I have a sweet healthy baby. He is doing great with nursing so far and we're very happy he's finally here. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats on your new little ones jleighla and amy-lynn!  Sounds like you had very different birth experiences (so true that no two are alike!) - but the common theme of bringing home beautiful healthy baby boys is simply wonderful!

Hope you are enjoying these precious first days together.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Congrats Jleighla! Ahhh so many babies! :) May seems to be the month of births.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Congrats JL and Amy-Lynn! Hope you're enjoying the first week as much as possible. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Congratulations, JLeighla!  Sorry that it sounds like things got a little stressful there--but so glad for you that you have a healthy baby and got to have a drug-free birth like you wanted!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations JL!  Sounds like it was a rough labor, but I'm glad that your baby is healthy and you were able to stick to your med-free plan!

WPP or anyone else seeking care at Cambridge Hospital--do you know if they still offer a prenatal breastfeeding class?  I saw online that they had one that was open to anyone (not just CHA patients), but when I called to ask about it, the phone number on the listing was out-of-date.  

I was thinking of taking a breastfeeding class, but MGH only offers it through Isis and it's more than I want to spend since I'm not sure how helpful it will really be...  Babies R Us sponsors a free class too (run by East Boston Community Health Center), but the timing isn't that convenient for me.  

I know CHA has a free drop-in group w/lactation consultant support, so I'm definitely keeping that in mind if I run into issues after the baby comes. 

Anyone have advice or thoughts on how useful/not useful a breast feeding class might be? I've been  reading online at kellymom.com too, but I find it sort of boring and overwhelming to read about.  It all still seems a little abstract. ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

JL...SO, SO happy for you.  I remember like it was yesterday early last year on the TTC boards and how long this took.  So glad your little one is here!

Siena, I did not take a BFing class.  I must say, the lactation nurses at the hospital were really awesome.  Actually, every nurse has an opinion and will try to help.  It worked pretty decently for us fairly quickly... after some trial and error.  So hard to say if a class would have helped me.  I just found so much help after the fact, when you have your real baby to "practice" with... and found that really useful.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Congratulations JL and Amy!!!

Siena, I looked into taking a BF class too, but others I've asked have said the same as IPW... that you learn best "on the job" with the help of the hospital lactation consultants and nurses.  I have heard the isis drop in groups are helpful for after too so I plan to go to those if I need more support later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats Amy-Lynn and JL!!

Siena - I didn't take a BFing class, but I think I've seen women post on here that it was the most useful of the courses they took.  I wouldn't stress if you can't fit one in, but it can't hurt to have more info.  It's also a good idea to have a plan in place for seeing a lactaction consultant if necessary.  I confirmed in advance that my obgyn's and pediatrician's offices both had a LC on staff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

I think I may be one of the people that posted before that my BFing class was invaluable. I can't count how many times that I consulted my notes from that class with DS #1. Yes, a lot of BF for both you and baby is "learning on the job". So, the practice holds with the baby doll and fake npple only went so far. But, my class went into lots of other things that ended up being super important for two reasons--1) I knew I would be going back to work at 14 weeks and 2) DS ended up with a tongue-tie and I EPed for a year. My class covered the ins and outs of pumping, milk storage options, thawing and using frozen bm, the best bottles and binkies for BF babies, when to introduce bottles, etc. 

I took the Isis class and would highly recommend it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

siena, the birth center mentioned a BF-ing class at Cambridge Hospital, but I'm not sure who's elegible to take it. I transferred over from Harvard Vanguard and they have a BF-ing class (and like 12 other pregnany/parenting classes and I know that one's $35 and 2 1/2 hours and anyone can do it. You may also get reimbursed depending on your insurance. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks ladies for all of your input!  I will see if there is a convenient inexpensive class at CHA or HVMA ($35 is less than Isis!), and if so, I'll take it.  If not, I won't sweat it.  The prepared childbirth class I took did provide some info and access to videos on breastfeeding newborns, establishing a latch, etc., so I can watch those too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Siena, I don't think you need a class before the baby comes to be successful at breast feeding. What is crucial is having support after the baby is born, both in the hospital and once you come home. Isis has great (free!) weekly drop in groups that were invaluable to me and I went religiously for the 1st few weeks. Get a notebook and write down all of the important phone numbers, class times and locations etc and you'll be very prepared. Good luck!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

ladies - i'm so behind, haven't been keeping up at all and have serious reading to do - but just saw that ipw is preggers - congrats ipw!  my g*sh, what do those doctors know.  AFM i'm glad i'll never be PG again (DS is 10 weeks old already!).  ;)  wishing all of you fabulous pregnancies and easy newborns.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations, Amy-Lynn and JLeigha!  Great news from both.

Even if you don't take a BF class before your LO arrives, I would try to find a way to practice different holds... maybe videos and a doll?  That was the hardest part for me when DD was born - I had no idea how to position her and myself.  Just having experience with that one thing made it so much easier when I had DS.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Got our Materniti21 results. Very, very low risks for chromosomal issues. So excited. And, we're having a second boy. I could not be happier!!  I kept telling myself not to want one or the other, but I did really want another boy :-). Yay.