May 2013 pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: May 2013 pregnancy

Yay IPW! Glad you're little boy(!) is low risk for issues! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

IPW - congrats!  Brothers!  Very exciting :)

One question though -  Materniti21 gives you a risk factor?  I thought it told you definitively yes or no if the fetus has trisomy 13, 18 or 21 and should replace amnio.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

IPW, I'm so excited for you, DH and DS!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats to all the new mamas and mamas to be!

Siena - I also took a BF class before baby and was so glad that I did.  I also brought my mom to the class with me.  She FF all of us, and I wanted her to have the info since I knew I'd be counting on her for support.  Practicing with the dolls doesn't compare to the real thing, but we learned so much about production, supply, rooting, hunger cues, etc. I felt like I knew what to expect.  Once I had the baby the nurses and LCs at the hospital were awesome about helping with the actual feedings. 

I actually chose only to take this class and skipped the childbirth class. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Trouble, from what we learned with the genetics counselor, it is also a screening test (therefore with a risk factor) since they are not actually taking any DNA from the fetus.  I think it is a slight misnomer that your baby's exact DNA is in your blood, and there are my DNA cells and separately there are his/her DNA cells.  This is not quite true.  So, what they look for is an over-abundance of those three chromosomal genes, so if there seemed to be a higher level than normal of 21 in my blood, knowing I don't have Downs, they'd make a risk assessment of what the baby must have.  What she told me is that there were the exact amount they'd expect to see in my blood of 13, 18 and 21, hence, the baby must also have a great change of having the exact amount (because the DNA of both is mixed in my blood). That is also how they tell gender.  They found some Y chromosomal evidence in my blood... and clearly as a woman, I have no Y.  Hence the complete absense of Y means a girl.  But, she said my 1 and 17,000 Downs risk factor was 99% and the boy gender was 99.6%, since I think this technology is slightly better than the NT scan matched with the other blood test.  I'm definitely not explaining this as technically as she did, but the only 100% diagnostic tests are the CVS and Amnio because they use actual samples from the baby. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Congrats IPW on the good test results - and the news of another boy!  So exciting and I'm very happy for you.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend, in spite of the weather.  We are booked solid but I'm going to try to take some time and do some more prep work to get ready for baby.   I have about 4 weeks left and hopefully this little girl gives me at least another 2 weeks.  I can't wait to meet her, but have a bunch of things to get in order both at home and at work before she makes her debut.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

We found out today that we're having a baby girl! At first DH and and I were kind of nervous--I have a kind of weird relationship with my mom and I started worrying that she wouldn't like me and teen years would be scary--but we're excited now! She's healthy and everything looks good! We can't wait to meet her!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Congratulations IPW on the good test results and WPP on the great u/s news! I found knowing baby's sex made things feel more concrete and helped me to get excited.  =)  

We've got 1 more month here, give or take, and feeling pretty excited.  Had a perfect shower this week--it was great to have our families & friends together, and they planned it really nicely. Still getting things ready--got laundry to do, hospital bag to pack, and mountains of work.  But we are getting closer, and I'm so excited to meet her soon!

ETA: Thanks for the advice on the breastfeeding class.  I found a free class in the end that fit with my schedule, so I will take it.  Little downside, and maybe it will be useful!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

IPW - congrats on your test results and a little brother for your DS!

WPP - team pink, so exciting!

Seems like a lot of us are getting close now!  I have a max of 4 weeks from tomorrow and the average gestation for twins is just over a week away for me now.  Still having a hard time believing I'm going to be a mommy soon.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Awesome news WPP!  So exciting.  We've got a nice mix of boys and girls on this board :-)

SS - good luck in the coming week(s)!  I hope your delivery goes well and how exciting to be bringing home two babies!

Just hit the 2nd trimester today... in that really awkward phase where you don't look pregnant... don't really feel pregnant (no m/s and no big belly) and since I'm not feeling any kicking yet, just always hoping everything is still moving along in there.  Pulled out my maternity stuff and got it all washed.  I'm so fortunate I'm only 1 month difference with this pregnancy, so everything is the correct season.  I wore my maternity jean skirt yesterday... so comfortable :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  Glad the weather is taking a turn for the better.

Congrats on finding out you are having a girl WPP!  As a mom of 1 (and almost 2) little girls - I can say that it is simply wonderful.  My DD is not a total "girlie-girl" and not a tom-boy either... she falls somewhere in the middle and it is just so much fun for DH and I on a daily basis.  Congrats!

As for me, I am 36 weeks and huge.  Strangers on the street, women at the grocery store, people in the elevator at work, parents at daycare, and on and on... everyone thinks I'm about 5 minutes from giving birth - and they feel the need to tell me so.  I feel like a house and am all swollen with lower back pain and sore feet.  Wah!  I've never been this pregnant - never made it this far with DD1.... now I know how it feels.  Can't imagine what it feels like at 40 weeks!  I have a new respect for my fellow pregnant mommies! ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

I'm with you ALS at 36w, compounded by the fact that I have a broken ankle, but that's another story. Word to the wise: do not break bones while pg. My feet were swollen enough without that!

I was wondering what your experiences have been with Braxton Hicks contractions late in pg?  I've had them on and off for a few months now, but today they just won't go away.  I had BH contractions every 10 minutes for a 4 hour stretch this afternoon, and now they are back. I know it is normal for them to increase in frequency late in pregnancy, but it still caught me off guard!  I called my doctor and the nurse said not to worry too much as long as they don't get painful.  I guess since I'm 36 weeks it's not so concerning, since they wouldn't try to stop labor anyway at this point (not that BH are a sign of labor per se.)  

Anyway, I'm hoping this baby chills out a little, because these BH are distracting, and I'm not quite ready for her yet!  She's reminding me that I really should pack that hospital bag though...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Siena, I worked with a woman who had them essentially all day every day for about a week (if I remember right, it's been awhile) before she went into labor. And, she definitely was staying hydrated - I've never seen anyone drink so much water!  It was her first baby, and she was a bit concerned about recognizing the difference, but she ended up not having any trouble distinguishing the BH from the real thing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Siena - make sure you're drinking extra water during this heat wave.  Being dehydrated can cause BH so it might be a sign that you need more fluids.  Other than that I don't remember having them as often as you're talking about but they certainly increased in the remaining weeks!

Good luck to all of the ladies in the home stretch!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

regarding the materniT 21 (or whatever it's called) test and amnios: materniT only tests for 3(ish?) pairs of chromosomes that correspond to the most common abnormalities.  amnios test every pair.  

love all the baby gender announcements - so exciting!!!  :) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks kar & clc!  Yeah, I was indoors and had been chugging a water bottle, so I don't think the BH yesterday were heat related. Who knows!  At any rate, today was a little quieter--still had some contractions but not as much as yesterday. Hoping for a few more weeks of an inside baby, even if it is getting a little crowded in there.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They can go on a long time, but by the time my friend had BH all day she was pretty close.  I hope your bag is packed! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

siena, the heat might have been a contributing factor as well.  Try having a big galss of ice water and putting your feet up/seeking some air conditioning.  That tended to help ease the BH for me last year with my DD. 

Also, some women just have more BH than others.  I had NONE with my first but a lot more with my second.  Good luck!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

also, don't worry you might "miss" real labor.  I wish it were that easy!  You won't miss it. :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks lissa!  I'm not too worried about missing labor; I'm expecting it to be painful!  These BH were more surprising/puzzling to me, bc I wasn't expecting them at that frequency/intensity. Anyway, my new theory is that they were coincident with baby dropping or at least repositioning significantly.  My persistent heartburn disappeared overnight, I am suddenly ravenously hungry all the time, and I feel like my belly is resting on my lap when I sit down.  (I'm glad I have some pounds left in my targeted weight gain range, because I think my calorie intake has spiked suddenly.)  I'll be curious to hear from my OB whether baby is engaged at my appointment next week.  

Hope you all were able to stay cool today! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chances are, siena, if your hunger has spiked, your calorie needs have also spiked.  Our hunger system really is intricate and accurate, but we tend to mess it up over the years by eating when we aren't hungry.  So, no worries about your weight - if you are ravenous, your body is telling you  it needs more calories than it was getting.  My friend found the nearly constant BH totally annoying and drank so much ice water I thought the baby might float out, lol.  I can't remember what time of year it was, but it was always freezing where we worked.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Siena, I'm glad you mentioned the braxton hicks issue.  I'm constantly laying down and drinking tons of water and starting about a week ago (I'm 34 weeks now) I have them ALL the time.  I counted one day and got to 36 contractions in a 12 hour period.  My doctor said its just par for the course this late with twins and that even with singletons lots of women get them all the time towards the end.  OB said they are only concerning if they cause cervical changes too early in the pregnancy.

I'm starving all the time now too but have found that even though I'm eating even more than usual these past few weeks, and they babies are growing about a half lb a week I'm not gaining much.  I think we just need more calories towards the end to support their rapid weight gain.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Thanks SS!  That makes sense.  I was initially concerned bc I remembered being told to call if I had more than 4 BH in an hour, but I guess that stops applying once you are far enough along and the BH are just "normal". Mine were back with a vengeance yesterday!  

I felt like there was no room in my stomach recently, so I wasn't able to eat as much at a meal as I was pre-pg, so this was a surprising change! I've followed the "eat when I'm hungry" rule throughout my pg and it has worked so far, so I have no plans on abandoning it now.  I had no weight gain between 34-36 weeks, so we'll see what happens over the next 4 weeks. I'm not too worried.

ETA: Unrelated, but do any of you follow Boston.com's pregnancy blog?  I don't know why I do, bc she drives me completely batty.  Today's post is about how hard it is on the author that she is fertile and some of her friends have struggled with pregnancy loss or infertility.  In fairness, it sounds like she was asked some truly inappropriate questions about her path to a healthy pg, but her "woe is me" attitude has me rolling my eyes.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/pregnancy/

Being pregnant with a healthy baby is a huge gift and joy, but I don't need the whole world to throw a party for me.  My DH and I, our families, and some close friends who are in the right place in their lives, are joyful for this child.  I don't need to broadcast that excitement for broader validation to feel like I have properly celebrated and appreciated the moment, and certainly not to those who might be struggling with infertility or loss.  That's just how life goes; it's not "shortchanging the pregnancy experience".

...But I had similar reactions to the blogger's posts about how pregnant women aren't really mothers yet, and about what a terrible horrible thing it was that her baby was not born by her due date... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Siena, I just looked at that blog and the whole thing is a massive eye-roll. She's pretty self-congratulatory and obnoxious. (And she does weird syntax things that bother me.) Occasionally I hate-read Katie Roiphe articles, but I don't think I could even do that for this blog!

I hope the BH contractions calm down for you. They're practice!

A little while ago, I mentioned DH's best friend's wedding 7 hours away that he won't be able to go to because it's 9 days after my due date. His friend wants DH to be his best man regardless, even if he has to do it by proxy. We're going to film DH doing the speech so they can play it at their wedding, and DH wants to plan a great bachelor party and do some nice things for his friend.

They're looking at doing a weekend away about halfway between here and where his friend lives--it's 3 1/2 hours away at this specific place. I'm all about DH doing this for his friend, but I'm worried because they're looking at the last two weekends in September and my due date is Oct. 24. I'm nervous about 1) being home alone for a weekend that late in my pregnancy. We don't have any family nearby either. 2) DH being 3 1/2 hours away and probably mostly drunk for a whole weekend that late in my pregnancy. 3) not having a car while DH is away for the whole weekend (we share a car).

Am I over reacting? It would be 4ish weeks before my due date. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

WPP--glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the blog (and Katie Roiphie)! Sometimes I wonder if it's just me...  

As for the trip, I would try not to worry too much about it.  My DH went somewhere 4-5 hour drive away for 2 nights when I was 36.5 weeks.  We also share 1 car, and my family is not at all local, so it was a similar situation I think.  I wasn't thrilled, but I didn't veto it, and it turned out fine.

I do think I would have been upset if he were drinking a lot though, bc we had an agreement that he was getting in the car if I had a single contraction. :p  I also refused to go with him.  

I didn't worry about being car-less because I live less than 2 miles from my hospital, so I could always hop in a taxi.  (I have taken a taxi to L&D or the ER three times during my 3 pregnancies...  It kind of sucks to be a wreck in a taxi, but I didn't have a lot of choices, and it was really the least of my worries in those situations.  If I needed to, I'd do it again, and at this point at least the circumstances would hopefully be more optimistic!)

Anyway, there are no guarantees--I know plenty of people who delivered early--so it depends on your risk tolerance.  But labor almost always lasts longer than 3.5 hours, so as long as he's sober, he probably wouldn't miss it.  Also, I'd campaign for the earlier of the 2 weekends if I were you.  :)