May - Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsallnew. Show itsallnew's posts

Re: May - Pregnancy

Jenn- I, like you, just wanted more information.  I didn't base it on whether we would or wouldn't terminate, though those are the difficult questions that you need to ask.  But, I did it knowing it's just a risk assessment- a statistic- and not a diagnostic test, and I wanted to know the statistic. 

It was an exciting ultrasound, though and definitely something to look forward to.  The previous one was at 7.5 wks and it just looked like a tadpole.  At 12w it looked like a human, with its little arms and legs waving around.  For me, the whole thing was very worth it. 

I have an appointment wed. (16w I guess?) so I'm looking forward to hearing the heartbeat and, like thistle, reconfirming that there is something in there ;o)  I don't have another u/s scheduled, so hopefully they'll talk to me about that wed. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

twin, my BFF from HS was a 100 lb Korean girl who got pg in our sophomore year in college.  She got married at 7 months pregnant, and she wore her fitted prom dress (which happened to be white) for her wedding dress UNALTERED.  I have no idea where the baby was, but she delivered a healthy 7 pounder 2 months later.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Twin- everyone carries differently. I had many people say that at 9 mon, I was as big as they were at 5-6mon.  If you don't put on much weight and don't show as much, the good news is that it's easier to lose the weight once the baby is here!  My stomach is basically gone already, just holding on to the 15 lbs I gained from eating 3 bagels a day and mac and cheese in the 1st trimester! :) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

In Response to Re: May - Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Has anyone else experienced a weird chemical smell/taste every time they eat something? It almost smells like some kind of cleaning agent?This has just started the last few days. At first I thought it was my cutlery at home, but I just had some toast at work and the same smell occurred while I was eating. I know of metallic tastes being common, but this is just weird!
    Posted by Prill[/QUOTE]

Prill, I had a weird taste in my mouth everytime I ate yesterday, though seems to be back to normal today.

I feel like I had a growth spurt over the weekend, I suddenly feel huge!  Still feeling ok for the most part, though get random pains if I get up too fast or sit at any type of angle.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Twin, with my first pregnancy I was still in regular pants until about 20 or so weeks. I told co-workers I was prgnant at 20 weeks and I shockd a lot of them! So if this is your first it will take a while, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of comments about how "small" you are.

This pregnancy, I've gained a total of 5 lbs at week 21 and people are commenting on me having twins...ha ha ha thank you my tight abs! real pants were a distant memory around 12 weeks this time!

Prill-things definitely taste different to me for a few days, then go back to normal-hopefully your food will taste normal again soon.

AFM-I started steriods today and a second round of antibiotics to get rid of the sinus/ear/bronchitis infections. Hoping it takes soon! Tomorrow is the fetal echocardiogram, looking forward to having that over! Praying they can see the peanut's heart well and I can go on vaca and relax and not worry about the next round of tests.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Glad to read eveyone is *relatively* well.  Good luck to you ladies suffering with allergies.  So miserable to not be able to breathe!

AFM, Things have pretty much been status quo, so I haven't had much to post.  28 weeks for me now and I had a DA and my GTT today.  Hopefully those results will come back fine.  I'm measuring on target and my weight gain is fine, but I feel so huge!  I definitely envy those that carry small.  I am all belly and and the nurse told me I don't look pregnant from behind.  Haha.  Over trhe weekend I had lunch with my cousin who is pregnant with her first and due 1 day after me and she was so much smaller.  Oh well!

I've also been feeling increased pressure in my pelvis recently and my midwife told me it's common in a 2nd pregnancy since my uterus is already stretched out.  Any other 2nd timers notice this too?  Of course I worry about preterm labor, because I worry like it's my job. 

My midwife also agrees that I may be carrying another breech.  I've been feeling lots of movement down low - the same as with my DD.  Oh well, I was thinking I'd have another c-sec anyway since my 2 deliveries will be pretty close together.  So they are going to try and schedule me for 8/8.  That's a monday, so I figure we can have DD in daycare all week and then I'll be home for the weekend.  Hopefully that'll all work out and I won't go early!  With #1 I went a bit early. 

I can't believe how fast time flies! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Trouble, hope the baby is not breech this time around.  At my appt last week, the doctor could not feel the position but some body part decided to pop out while she was feeling and she said most likely it was a heel or knee so for now, he seems to be head down.   I really feel body part a lot I just wish I knew what they were.

I have not heard from the doctors office about my low platlets counts so I called this morning.  The nurse said the range is 140-400.   Last month i was at 129 and last week I was at 136 so it was up but they put a note into the doctor to tell me if I need to do anything about it.  I am not too worried, I woudl hope if this was a big deal they would have called me right away with a plan of action.

So 30 weeks now, cant believe how fast this is going by.  I am am still not prepared at all for DS to arrive but I know I have enough stuff to get me going like onesies, bibs and burb clothes.  I still have some time to pick up other items.   The count down is on and I am starting to worry about having two kids and how I am going to handle them. I know it will be fine, it will just take adjusting.  When DD was born I was always out and about, and I am hoping that since I will be off during the summer months that I can do this when DS is born.  I just hope I will be able to bring DD to activies like to the park or to the pool (the beach might have to wait till next year).  Infants are pretty easy to tote around, at least DD was. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Kar, I can't imagine being 7 months pregnant and still fitting into my regular clothes!  I am only 11 weeks pregnant and I already wore a belly band yesterday.  But, those pants were tight anyway, and I just couldn't button the top button.  Instead of going with a safety pin, I decided to try out the belly band that I just got.  I am back in regular clothes today, and everything buttons up, but I have a range of sizes in my closet, and the smaller stuff is already pretty much useless. 

I haven't had any metallic taste yet, but I have noticed a change in what I like to eat.  I used to eat a banana every day, and now the sight/smell makes me want to gag.  I'm kind of bummed because the banana was at least a daily fruit, and I would eat it on my way to the train each morning on my commute.  Now I am trying to make toast or grab a granola bar to get some carbs in me in the morning. 

Has anyone else had any weird food issues? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I know, and she was a size 0/2.  She never did look very pg even right before she delivered her normal sized baby (who is 19 years old, now, by the way - omg, I'm old).  Where was the baby hiding?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: May - Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]I've also been feeling increased pressure in my pelvis recently and my midwife told me it's common in a 2nd pregnancy since my uterus is already stretched out.  Any other 2nd timers notice this too?  Of course I worry about preterm labor, because I worry like it's my job. 
    Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

A woman at work who was far along with her second mentioned that she felt a lot more pressure than with her first.  I think her first never really dropped and she ended up having a c-section, but she delivered the second vaginally.  Anyway, I have heard of this before!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Trouble, general consensus among me and my friends who have gone through round 2, the pelvic pressure is INSANE compared to #1.  My OB said exactly what your MW said. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks Fram and MM!  I was still stressing about it even though my MW told me not to be concerned.  It makes me feel so much better that you both have felt or heard of this :)

Quad - I hope your DS turns!  You can definitely start now with the exercises if you think he is breech.  Have you tried them?  There is this website called spinning babies and if memory serves, they have the exercises there.  I found laying on an ironing board to be soooo uncomfortable, but on the other hand I found hanging out on all fours to be pretty nice :)  Well.. not pretty, just nice.  Ha. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Thanks Trouble, Ill take a look if the doctor can confirm. I dont want to try spinning him just to find out he is head down and I made him breech!  That would not be a good thing!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trhoward. Show trhoward's posts

I am 38 weeks today. Ugh. My feet and ankles are so swollen by the end of the work day I can barely walk. I can't even get my feet all the way into flip flops. I may start working shorter days or something to get them elevated sooner. Everything is looking good with DS#2 though. I can't wait to snuggle with him and introduce DS#1 to his new brother.

I'm getting an hour prenatal massage tomorrow and I can't wait! I would love if it got things going.

quad- mine was transverse until we checked again at 36 weeks and now he is head down and dropped into position. It is hard not to worry about it but you have to just wait and see to some extent. I have to hope mine doesn't flip back. Hopefully he is too big and comfy to move.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

I had my prenatal appointment today (I'll be 17 weeks tomorrow) and heard the heartbeat again!  It's very reassuring. 

I have apparently gained 13 pounds since I got pregnant, and 7 in the last month since my prior appointment.  They're pleased (I was very slightly underweight to start) but I have to admit to a little bit of horror.  I keep extrapolating from the last four weeks and realizing that if this rate continues, I will gain approximately 55 pounds total during the pregnancy--but surely it will slow down?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from twin04. Show twin04's posts

Thistle - Great news about your appt. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight gain. If the doctor is ok with it, no worries. Congrats!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Thanks!  I'm not really worried about the weight gain, exactly--just a little shocked!  I don't weigh myself between appointments so I knew I had gained some weight, but had no idea how much. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You try forever to be and stay slender, and it's hard to adjust your thinking to allow for pg weight gain as being good, but if you're doc is happy, try to relax and go with the healthy track you're on. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

thistle--congrats on another chance to hear baby's heartbeat!! I am on the small side and I gained less than 20 lbs total with DS #1. I had pretty bad morning sickness, though, and lost close to 10 lbs before beginning to gain it back. It seems as though weight gain definitely happens in fits and starts. I am already up 10 lbs with this pg and I still have 18 weeks to go.

afm, I had another u/s this week. The placenta previa is still there. Hasn't budged in the past four weeks. Bummer. I am back in another 4 weeks to check it again. Also, needed to get measurements of LO's heart. He was quite the stubborn guy and wouldn't move for us, no matter how much we prodded. It took 2 different technicians and finally the OB himself to get the measurements. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with this little guy!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Sorry to hear about the previa kiwi, hopefully things turn around!  

I have had the worst cold the last couple of days.  I am not sure what is worse, not sleeping from congestion or the rest of the baby aches and pains!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Congrats Thistle on hearing the heartbeat, the best sounds in the world.

Sorry about the Previa Kiwi, I bet it will fix itself.

AFM, after over a week of waiting for referrels, etc. i actually got an appt today with the hemotologist.  They took like 10 viles of blood.  Looks like it is just pregnancy related.  I have never been asked so many medical history questions in my life, it was a little overwhelming.  I have to check back with her in 4 weeks and my OB will monitor me. I guess they check the platelet count when you check in at the hospital so that will be good.   She also had my platlet count history and it looks like my regular is on the lower side for the normal range so that helped reassure me a little that there is not something seriously wrong with me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Everyone is different, thistle, but for me the weight gain was definitely in spurts.  I'd go 3 weeks without gaining and then gain 3 lbs.  Also in the last month or so, I didn't gain any weight.  I was so perplexed because obviously the baby was gaining at that point!  All you can do is try to eat healthy food and hope for the best!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Thank you all for the reassurance on the weight gain!  I had actually been trying to gain weight because I started a little low--so, mission accomplished, I guess?  I'll keep eating more than usual but actually having gained so much makes me feel like I have a little bit of a cushion and don't need to stuff myself if I'm not hungry anymore. 

I have a somewhat related question--where did you all buy maternity clothes?  I did a little shopping over the weekend and ended up not managing to buy anything.  And I'm suffering some shock at the prices--it feels really expensive to get myself enough clothes to wear to work for the next 6 months!  Any suggestions?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Hi Thisle,

For my first pregnancy (my second was/is a whole other story), I think I was busting out of my regular jeans by around 15 weeks.  I got a bella band and that held me over until about 20 weeks when I had to get maternity pants.  Tops are a bit easier though because of all the long/ loose tops that are in fashion now.  I think most of my tops are just regular size L.  Lots of long sleeve Ts, etc.

My advice is to go in stages, get some clothes that fit you now because you might need them post-partum if it takes you a bit to get back to your pre-pg weight.  Also, you get more value if you buy tops/dresses that double as nursing tops.  I also got a few great secondhand pieces (motherhood) off of craigslist and Old Navy can have some great deals too.  I have had luck with Old Navy dresses.

HTH!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Aside from Gap maternity tanks, I've been wearing mostly non-maternity clothes this time around. I hit up New York & Company earlier this year (hadn't been in there before) and they had a bunch of tunic-style tops that were much more flattering (and more affordable) than the maternity clothes I bought the first time around. Last spring I got a bunch of nice tanks and shirts from Nordstrom's half-annual sale (oh and it starts again this Wednesday - I definitely plan on going again) and a lot of the tops were long enough to wear while pregnant. I'm 38 weeks today and I'm still wearing them!