May Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Re: May Pregnancy

Liz - Good to hear from you.  Im glad you are feeling much better!

Clc/summer - Ill probablly be feeling the same way as you girls when I get that close.  Especially with the first born because you do not know what to expect and can happen at anytime.  But it seems like you girls are in good shape for the arrival of your LO!  Im sure everything will go smoothly.

RI - Congrats on the 23 wk mark!  I think the 2nd half is going by much faster than the first half.

My shower was a Great this past weekend.  Everyone was so generous! I dont think Ill need to buy any clothes for a long long time.  LOL. There are only a few things that we absolutely need before the baby comes including bottles.  I am thinking of getting the Born Free Bottles.  Anyone have any feedback?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Pugs, We use born free.  That was the 3rd kind we tried when DD was born and it worked great since she had some gas issues.  Since I had them, I just used them for DS and he still takes to them great.  There are a few extra parts but nothing that is hard to clean.  I just use a regular bottle brush.   The nipples last a while.  I have only bought new ones when they went up a level in flow or for a the new baby.  The only replacements I did was the incerts.  When we moved to the bigger bottles they were leaking so I took the inside parts out of the small ones and used them on the big ones and they still work great.   Inbetween my kids my sister used the bottles (replaced the nipples), and they are still holding up great through 3 kids.   good luck

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

It definitely gets hard when you're close and really in the waiting game!  Especially after the shower, when all of the sudden your house is filled with baby stuff, just no baby yet! 

In a few weeks, I'll have to start going through the newborn and 0-3 clothes from DD, and pulling out the gender neutral stuff, as well as the receiving blankets and all of that gear, so I can start washing it and having it ready.  I think I have cried every time I've packed up her clothes, so I can only imagine the emotions that will come of looking through them again! 

Went back to the OB today for another BP check.  I'm on half the dose of BP meds I was on with DD, and they seem to be working since it's back to normal range...have to go back again in 2 weeks for another check, but otherwise, nothing to worry about.  I think half the time my anxiety about how high it might be makes it higher! 

Anyone expecting #2 (or #3, or higher), how and when have you been prepping your older child for the arrival of the new baby.  DD is 18 months old, and she is in a huge baby phase lately...loves her baby dolls, points out babies she sees on our walks or in a store, likes to put her dolls in the carriage, put them to sleep, take clothes off.  We talk a little about the baby in mommy's belly, but I know it's not a real thing to her at all.  Any suggestions or ideas? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Luv - I have 2 kids.  DD was 2 1/2 when DS was born and I dont think she ever got it that I had a baby in my belly.  We just talked to her about it just so she was aware but I dont think it ever really stuck.

On tip is after your 2nd is born.  We had DD be the "Big Helper".  We had her get burp clothes, diapers, toys.  We had her help us change diapers and get him dressed.  As long as we involved her in things with him she was reallly excited.  Even 10 months later she still helps us, even if it is just throwing something in the trash.  This worked great for us. DD loves her brother and never showed one bit of resentment to him....at least not yet :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Thanks, Quad...I'm guessing it won't be real to her until her little brother/sister arrives...gald to know that with your DD, having her as helper has worked!  My DD definitely likes to help and be involved, so that's a great tip!  We've also been trying to modify some of our routines (bedtime, morning) a bit so that my DH and I switch off...we'd each had "our" time with her up until now, but we've been alternating lately so that she won't be too shaken up if suddenly I can't be the one reading her her good night story.  I know she'll be fine - my sister's exactly 2 years younger than I am, and we all survived - but it's hard not to have a little guilt about the fact that this will definitely shake up all of our lives!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Luv - I think at 18 months DD is fairly clueless.  We talk about it, have Big Sister books, talk about the new nursery and when I say where is baby Addy (Adelyn) she often points to her own stomach.  Too cute.   She also is usually quite nice to her baby dolls but sometimes not so much. She does try and change her dolls diaper and she often will pat the baby.   We talk about gentle touches since she has slugged us a few times. I am nervous though....One of my patients gave me great advice.  She said when the baby is sleeping to address the baby and say "now it is DD#1 turn to play with me" so that DD#1 will feel like it is her time.  I thought that was cute.

Poppy - I am 38 1/2 weeks and feel ready to pop.  I have to say I am very nervous about having another one.  I found the first month to be very hard with DD but she was so sick it is hard to tell how much was that.  You must be dying to get to your new place!  I would go insane if I saw DD in front of the TV too. I have been a little cranky too during this pregnant (DH might say a lot). 

BTW if we were having a boy we liked the name Brady.  Thought about Braydee for a girl too but decided not too. The second one has been harder to name than the first for sure!

I am looking foward to having more mobility and feeling like my body is my own again after getting pregnant at only 9 months post partum!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Well, I officially feel huge. Today was the first day where I felt out of breath. I met up with a friend at the Cheesecake Factory in the mall and had to walk across the whole mall to get there. By the time I made it, I felt like I was waddling and breathing heavily, and I am only 28.5 weeks!!

I'm also starting to get really bad heartburn at night and my back is killing me when I get into bed at the end of the day.

Does anyone feel like they can't eat a lot or they feel like they will either explode or vomit???

I managed to find a dress for my shower, but I feel like I look like a cow in it, oh well, nothing I can do about it.

P.S. this piece of cheesecake I just ate didn't help either :/ Although, so worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, it's very common to have to eat small meals during pregnancy.  If you can avoid eating dinner within 3 - 4 hours of going to bed you might have less heartburn.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: May Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone feel like they can't eat a lot or they feel like they will either explode or vomit??? Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

YES!  I've found that propping myself up on extra pillows helps.  It's inevitable that in my sleep I move around and get down to just one pillow and that's when I wake up running for the bathroom.  I have yet to get sick but there have been some close ones.  I also have a thing of Tums on my night stand for those such occasions.  Hope you feel better soon!

We had a family gathering this weekend and everyone was asking if I was planning a natural birth.  When I mentioned that I wasn't and planned on having an epidural I got a lot of negative comments.  A few people told me I should think it over again and that I still had time to change my mind.  I don't understand why people are so judgy some times.  The most important part of my birth plan is to have a healthy baby, if I need an epidural to take the edge off I'm going to get one.  Why this involves others besides DH I don't know.  Okay rant over!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

people have the nerve to discourage you?  sounds like they are asking about your plan just to have the chance to criticize your choices - unbelievable.  we're in an age of extreme information availability - everyone should assume, therefore, that people are making informed decisions about such things and keep their mouths shut.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

CLC - that is nobody's business!  So rude.

Luv - we are in the same boat with our 18 mo. old.  She doesn't get it/is not interested at all when I start to say there's a baby in my belly, etc.  And although she loves her baby dolls, I get a bit nervous when I find her quietly sitting on one, looking through a book.

Can anyone recommend good "big sis" books for this age?

Along the lines of big changes - can anyone recommend ways to prepare her for our move or strategies for getting her comfortable in the new house?

Another thing that is added to my stress level is that she is in a huge mommy phase that I'm not sure anymore is a phase.  We tried to have DH put her to bed last week (since, like Luv, we want her to be able to do that with either of us) and she screamed for 30 minutes until I finally went in, at which point she instantly calmed down and was fine.  The only time it works is if I'm out.  Not sure what to do about that, because then DH gets mad at me for wanting to try to get her past the screaming.  I keep imagining a month or two of two screaming children when this next LO arrives.

And re-reading my last post, it sounds like I am totally anti-tv.  That is actually not the case.  DD often will watch snippets of shows, especially when she is winding down for the night (she actually requests it, but only when sleepy).  What bothered me was that it was full-volume, fast-paced commercials, and it was at 7am when she would just as happily be playing or reading.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

CLC, that's so weird, since I am hoping to have an unmedicated birth, and most people I tell look at me like I have three heads when they hear it!  Just more proof that as long as we're comfortable with the decisions we make about our bodies and our babies when it comes to our birth experience, we have to just let the criticisms slide off our backs. 

I heard similar snickers/are you kidding me's from people when they heard that I was pumping and supplementing with DD...she wouldn't latch and I wanted her to have b-milk whenever possible, but my body didn't make enough.  People thought I was nuts to go through the work of pumping and still need formula, but it worked for me and my family, and that's all that really mattered. 

Get ready...people's judgements about your parenting decisions don't end at birth...this is only the beginning! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

For me, the heartburn / can't eat a lot / out of breath feelings all actually improved at the very end!  I think this is the case for many (but not all) people as they get to the end.  The baby gets lower and the pressure on the upper organs eases up.... ahhh....
    It's just a few more weeks of the big high baby that's tough.  :)

CLC, I found that the only way to avoid the bad behavior of judgy people was to not tell them anything.  Unfortunate, but true.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: May Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]We had a family gathering this weekend and everyone was asking if I was planning a natural birth.  When I mentioned that I wasn't and planned on having an epidural I got a lot of negative comments.  A few people told me I should think it over again and that I still had time to change my mind.  I don't understand why people are so judgy some times.  The most important part of my birth plan is to have a healthy baby, if I need an epidural to take the edge off I'm going to get one.  Why this involves others besides DH I don't know.  Okay rant over!
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]
    Seriously?  Have the people who were being judgy actually given birth? 

Is there actually a woman out there who has given birth without drugs and is trying to say everyone should?  Or is some busybody who has no idea what s/he is talking about trying to quote random studies at you?  Either way, it's just ignorant and rude. 
    Next time when a person is being obnoxious just calmly and with a straight face ask him/her "I'm sorry.  Do you really think you know my cervix and vag1na better than I do?"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Liz- Around that point I had to bite the bullet and start taking Zantac twice a day for my heartburn...some days it's awful even with that and I need tums also. But when it works, it works well and provides relief. If you're 28 weeks now, it's not going to get any better, so you might want to consider asking your OB about taking something daily.

Also, weirdly enough I can eat the same amounts (sometimes more!) as I can non-preg. I don't feel sick or like I'm going to explode, but what I DO feel is more short of breath, to the point where I need to sit and rub my belly to feel better...apparently my stomach and lungs are all jammed together way up somewhere in my rib cage. Shortness of breath has also been one of my worst symptoms.

CLC- People should know that if they ask you something, they might not agree with your answer...but bringing up their disagreement is a waste of time on their part. Also, I think no matter what answer you'd have given, someone would have an issue with it...people always find something to nitpick on or question. I agree with Medford in that the less people know, the better. It's no one elses' choice or business what you decide to do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

No one's opinion is going to change my mind that's for sure.  One aunt did say "well I didn't have any medication" it took all I had not to offer her a cookie or medal.

I have a first-timer question that I know I see on here all the time but I'll throw it out there anyway... when labor starts I'll know right? The doctors office gave me a list yesterday of possible labor signs and when I should contact them and head to the hospital.  After reading it I have an irrational fear that I won't know I'm in labor. Did the 2nd time moms also go through this?  Any of the first time moms feeling the same way?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Clc - Sorry people were so judgmental towards your decision about having an unmedicated birth.  People just dont know when to keep their opinions to themselves!  At my shower this past weekend one the of guests kept making comments on the gifts that I recieved like.  "Oh, your baby will never fit in that." "Or not going to need that" and "dont use that"  I felt like saying SHUT UP!  How about saying "thats cute" or whatever!  geez! 

Liz - I feel HUGE myself, so Im right there with you!  Im at 30 weeks today.  And my belly feels really heavy.  Its hard to bend over to pick stuff up!  ALso feel really really tired.  I fell asleep on the couch at 6 pm last night and still feel exhausted today.  Also my eyes keep watering up and tears running down my face for no reason.  I can cry at the drop of a hat and Im at work. No good!  I didnt expect the 3rd trimester to be like this.  Maybe the dreary weather has something to do with it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Clc, you will definitely know when a contraction comes.  I called my doctor as she wanted to know how far apart they were.  She had me wait until they were closer together. 

ETA:  I lived about 7 minutes from the hospital.  She didn't want me sitting around there when I could be sitting around at home. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, just about every first time mom I've known has worried they won't know, but always do.  It might be hard to distinguish BH contractions from the real deal, though.

Pugs, when I was going through major depression I cried often at work.  People understood; I'm sure no one is thinking as much about it as you are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Quick question- I haven't really had any swelling til the past few days. I noticed this AM that my feet are a little puffy looking...I'm wondering how much swelling is normal. I took today off of work, so I haven't even been on my feet that much. It's not severe so I know I shouldn't really be paranoid, but is it worth a call to my OB? I'll end up calling for something so routine as swelling and feel like an idiot... :(

ETA: I did end up calling,  just to ease my own worries...nurse said it's probably normal but if I have any changes to call back...for now it's just trying to stay off my feet and drink water like it's going out of style.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Poppy - for books we are using Joann Cole's big brother book - there is a sister version and ds LOVES it.  We also got the Sears one but it is not as good for your age group.  DS will be 2 on Sunday and we only really talked about the baby probably the second half and really really talked about it recently (due June10th).  The belly is unavoidable at this point so he gets something is happening.
    CLC - I cant believe you are planning on using an Epidural!  I also think you should reevaluate...just kidding I had the epi for my first and totally plan on having one for the second.  I went into my first thinking I would go as long as possible without but I never was gung ho on au naturale. 
    I was induced with my first but I do have a fear that my water has broken on this one and I would not know it...the first time it was a huge gush but it was manually broken and I have heard many stories of the water just trickling out...I have a lot more discharge this time so hence my fear of not knowing the difference.  You will know though when you are in labor - but if you have a question call your office that is what they are there for.
    AFM - I will hit 36 weeks on Sunday and I have had incredible pain and pressure on my pelvis this week and the heartburn is not quite as severe as it was last week (it was bad).  So I think baby is dropping.  My sister's wedding is in 1.5 weeks so I have to make it to that and then I am ok with going whenever.  I am just trying to walk and laydown as much as possible as sitting is the worst. 
    As for those with heartburn - take a zantac about 30 - 60 min before bed and use lots of pillows.  Also try not to have an empty stomach when going to bed but not full with food or liquid either.  I found it helped if I stopped eating and drinking about 30 min before bed.  But if my stomach gets too empty the hearburn picks up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Hi clc.  I was already in the hospital for pre-term contractions when my labor started.  It was pretty obvious b/c my water broke and then it was full speed ahead from that moment on.  I did just want to mention something from my experience regarding the epidural.  The nurses knew I was planning on getting one, so that was never an issue.  My labor progressed really fast after my water broke and being a first time mom, I didn't know when I was supposed to ask for the epidural.  They give you that pain scale on the wall to "rate your pain" on a scale of 1-10 (the smiley face - sad face picture chart).  This sounds silly now, but at the time when they would ask me, I had a really hard time assigning a number to my pain level.  I had never been through labor before and I didn't really know a "10" when I felt it.  I underestimated my pain level since I was trying to not run out of room on the scale too early!  In the end, the nurses, who were monitoring my contractions on the monitor, basically told me that my contractions were really strong and that the doctors had been called to do the epi.  I almost missed my chance for the epidural.  Luckily I didn't.  They literally finished the epidural and rolled me over to start pushing.  DD was born about 5 pushes later.  Maybe I would have learned all this in childbirth class, but alas, I never got to take it (DD was born early and my class was scheduled for the following week - oh well). 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

CLC, you'll know.  Some people do have lots of Braxton-Hicks before hand.  From what I understand, sometimes for people who have had a lot of Braxton-Hicks, they are not sure it's real labor until later.  But trust me, you'll figure out it's real labor with time to spare.  Like an earlier poster said, you don't really want to run in to the hospital at the first contraction--you'll be there for days!  You want to wait until contractions are regular and closer together.  For most first-timers this takes a while. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Summer - I didn't really experience swelling until after 30 weeks probably, when my feet and ankles would swell during the second half of the day.  I would say if the change is drastic, it's worth calling the doc about.  It's probably completely normal, but you never know if it could indicate something.

CLC - I knew right away!  I was getting ready for bed and felt like I had menstrual cramps.  Nothing too uncomfortable, but a dull ache.  Tried to get some sleep, but woke up about 3 hours later feeling definite contractions.  Stayed home for about 7 hours after that, until the contractions were regularly 5 minutes apart.  I think I actually stayed home too long, so try not to be too literal about the 5 minutes thing!  By the time we actually got to the hospital, contractions were like 2 minutes apart and I could not wait to get that sweet, sweet needle :o)
    My water didn't break at home - it broke in the hospital after I had my epidural, so I don't know what that feels like.

ETA:  All this talk of discharge reminded me of the mucus plug.  When I woke up after 3 hours and went to use the bathroom, there it was.  No mistaking it!  I actually yelled out something like, "Oooh yeah there it is!  Let's do this!"  LOL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My water didn't break until the nice nurse got it going.