May Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: May Pregnancy

CLC - others have pretty much covered it, but you'll definitely know.  I found them *completely* different than Braxton-Hicks (which were somewhat uncomfortable, but not actually painful).  I worried about not knowing too, then ended up having sort of the opposite experience. I knew pretty much right away when the actual contractions started and when my dr.'s office told me to wait them out a bit before coming in I was like, "But I'm having CONTRACTIONS, shouldn't I come in NOW??"  My water never broke on it's own, even after almost 12 hours of active labor.  They had to break it for me.

ETA: Thanks, wrkngmom!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

When does the heartburn usually start? Around the third trimester? I'm just wondering how long I have left to feel pretty good.

clc - that is so annoying about the epidural comments! I haven't gotten too many comments yet, besides people complaining that we did not find out the sex. One of my sisters was a little mean about the pregnancy when I visited last month. She made fun of a name that somehow came up in conversation (a family name whereas she thinks we should use "Rainstorm" or "Snowflake") and kept telling me that she was going to buy me birth control so I wouldn't be so boring the next time I visited. She is the oldest and without kids and acts like she's still 20 so it was expected, but still really frustrating!

Pugs - glad you had a great shower!

Liz - I'm so happy that you're feeling better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

So glad for all of these questions about labor...even though this is #2, DD was a planned c-section since she was breech, so I've never felt a contraction. 

Liz, you're sounding back to yourself in your posts.  I'm so glad!  Also, love the tip about the music to get to sleep...my mind is always racing at night, so I usually journal at night to get things out of my head, but I think I'll have to try that too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

CLC, I echo the others that you'll know when you are in labor, however, I think your fears are totally justifiable and I could totally see myself having the same fears as I approach my due date with baby # 2! For my first, my water ended up breaking before my contractions started but once I started feeling contractions, they hurt and felt totally different than any other feeling.  You'll know! (and if you don't know at the very outset, that's great too because it means you won't be in a lot of pain/discomfort initially!!)

Liz - I am almost 27 weeks, so just a week or two behind you, and my heartburn started up again a few weeks ago.  It didn't seem to matter what I ate, or how much I ate, it was just there and it was horrible.  My doc recommendd I take a Zantax adn/or prilosec otc and they have worked wonders.  I definitely would try to eat more frequently and smaller amounts of food but sometimes heartburn just happens regardless.  Drink lots of water and ask your OB about taking a otc medicine if it gets much worse.   I hear you on feeling huge.  Last week I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realized that I totally "popped" again in the past few weeks.  Wow.

AFM - I'm doing ok.  I had written earlier this month about an odd sore spot about the size of a quarter on my lower belly that was inflamed and puffy and pink.  It ended up getting worse (more sore and bright red) and I went into the OB last friday to have her look at it.  She had no idea what it was!  But her best guess was that it was a small bacterial infection, and she put me on an antibiotic.  I'm happy to report that the spot has definitely gotten smaller, and is no longer red, although it is still there and I can feel a bump.  I am supposed to go back for a f/u on Friday but I feel so much better about it since it is clearly no longer inflamed and certainly not getting any worse. The medicine needs to be taken for 2 weeks, 4 times a day, which is a drag but at least it seems to be working.  My OB said it was possible that my immune system was down from being pregnant and some sort of bacteria worked its way into a small tear on my belly (likely a result of my skin stretching to accommodate the growing bean).  But, we'll likely never know what caused it.  Which is fine with me, as long as it goes away and never goes back!! Only plus side was I got an extra "bonus" glimpse at the little bean, who seemed perfectly content and totally oblivious to all of the hoopla going on in the doctors office!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Cici - sorry for your sisters comments, sounds very rude.  Also, a little early but happy anniversary to you and DH.  I know we were wedding planning together, I believe we got married the same day (or perhaps a few days apart) - May 15th, 2010.  We are using ours as a reason to do one last fancy dinner before the LO joins us.

Rama - glad to hear your infection is clearing up and no longer painful.

Thanks for all of the reassurance on knowing that it's labor.  Every twinge I'm thinking, is this it?  Also, I have noticed that my discharge has increased significantly in the last week.  The notes from the doctors office mentioned that's a common occurrence before you give birth. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

My water didn't break until I"d been in active labor for 28 hours (we waited a long time at home before going in--the women in my family are notorious for having long labors and I didn't want an epi so I figured my best bet was staying away for as long as I could). 
    My water broke while I was in the tub.  It was weird.  Because the tub was warm, the amniotic fluid actually felt cooler than the bathwater.  It felt like someone had flicked my cervix with a rubber band or something, then there was this huge gush.  It was pretty convenient I was in the tub.  It felt like a wave so I bet it would have made a mess (like in the movies) if I had been somewhere else.
    My contractions had been 4 minutes apart and we were talking about heading in soon when it happened.  Then it got kind of nervewracking because the contractions kind of jumped to being 2 minutes apart and much, much stronger (and longer-lasting, too).  But then they slowed down a bit in the car and at the hospital.  It still took 8 more hours before the baby was out.
    I know not everyone takes as long, but I feel like it's a rare, rare thing for a first-timer to have such a quick labor she can't get to the hospital in time. I think most of the people who get stuck on the side of the road are people with other kids already.

I didn't have braxton-hicks, so I can't really compare, but from what I've read BH is just a general tightening of the uterus.  Contractions for me felt like strong cramps that kind of started in my spine and wrapped around to the front, like a pulsing, wave-like clenching.  They start out kind of crampy but eventually they get strong enough so that you can't really stand up very well or talk while they're happening.  You'll know.  :)

Isn't it exciting to be finally at the part of the pregnancy where you can think about this sort of stuff?!  You're almost there!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

PS - OMG, the discharge!  I"m going through pantyliners like I own stock in the company. ew.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: May Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]PS - OMG, the discharge!  I"m going through pantyliners like I own stock in the company. ew.
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]

Just spit my snack across my desk... haha thanks for the laugh!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I never had the discharge at all.  I started having some pains on a Monday night went to the doctor Tuesday and I was 6 cm dilated.  She told me she'd see me later most likely, but to wait it out as long as possible.  I wasn't having any meds so not much they can do for me at hospital.  At 8 I called her and when I told her I was 15 minutes apart she said wait until they are 5 or the pain is so bad, or your water breaks.  I took a bath and at about 10 pm they were about 5 minutes apart.  I get to the hospital I'm 8 cm dilated so they check me in.  My doctor didn't want to break my water but it was becoming hard to go without and epi and I really didn't want too have one.  My awesome nurse gave it a nudge at 2:35 am and at 3:20 am DS arrived.  :) 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I appreciate all your comments so much about using cream colored yarn for my friend having triplets, and I got right to work.  Here is my progress so far on two of the three.  Neither are done; the one on the right needs the ends run in and the one on the left needs another 12 rows or so plus a border.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kar - they are beautiful.  I'm sure your friend and her triplets will love them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: May Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Kar - they are beautiful.  I'm sure your friend and her triplets will love them!
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

Thanks, clc!  I hope they are well loved and keep them comfy and cozy.

I'm very pleased I went with the off white, and I might not have if I hadn't gotten all your helpful comments.  That's why I wanted to post the photos - so everyone could see their comments made a difference. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

clc - thanks! Happy anniversary to you as well! :) I do remember that our weddings were the same weekend. We're also going out for dinner next week, but hopefully we will get more than that one before September. It's funny because most of the people I know that got married within a month or so of us are currently expecting baby #1. I guess it's "normal" timing.

rama - sorry to hear that your red spot required a trip to the doctor. At least it sounds like it's healing now.

kar - beautiful blankets! Great choice with the yarn. I think I asked you about stores near Boston earlier. There is a fabric shop in Natick/Framingham in the same plaza as Burlington Coat Factory that I went to last weekend that also has tons of yarn. In case you or anyone else is looking in that area. I didn't look at the yarn but there was a very good selection of fabric.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

Kar - the blankets are beautiful!  I'm sure they will be treasured!  I got a few handmade things when DD was born and those were very special gifts and I really appreciated the time and love that went into them.  I'm sure your friend will be so touched by such a thoughtful gift for her new babies!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks so much, ladies, for your kind comments and OT indulgence of my blankies. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

beautiful, Kar!  I agree with ALS - the handmade things we got for DD are the most important and treasured items.

I feel like it's common to have "false positive" thoughts about being in labor (e.g. "am I in labor now??  but how about now??  now???")
    But NOT likely to have "false negative".  (i.e. when you're actually in labor, you're not likely to think it's not happening.)

I personally felt tightness for a couple of days and I kept wondering, but then when things really happened, I knew for sure.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, med - it makes the effort worth it to know how much handmade things are really appreciated.  I just started the border on the basket pattern one.  I'll post one more pic after all 3 are completely done.  Thanks, again, everyone for letting me share the joy of my friend's triplets on the way here.

I love your false postive/false negative explanation about labor - it seems to perfectly capture how it's been for all my first time mommy friends.  They wonder until they know...and they all KNOW.

What is that bright yellow in the sky...could it be the SUN?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Very pretty, Kar!  I love the cream color.  And they look soft and cozy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Very pretty Kar.  I was overwhelmed with the kindness from my patients who made blankets and quilts with DD#1!

AFM - scheduled induction on Tuesday.  I can't believe it.  Now I just want to hold off because my sister is going to fly in!  YAY.  I realize that God laughs at man's plans but I would like very much to wait until Tuesday.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Wow, good luck LIL.  If you don't mind me asking why is it a scheduled induction?  Hopefully your LO cooperates!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm totally blushing, now - you all are so nice. :)

lil, good luck!  Are you overdue?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wow, LIL!  In less than a week you'll meet your LO!!  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Kar - gorgeous blankets.  Good luck LIL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Good luck, LIL! Hope the baby can wait until Tuesday!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Beautiful blankets, Kar! And I'm sure they will be well- loved. My MIL made a blanket for my DDbwhen she was bor and its still one of her favorites, always in the crib with her! Very sweet and thoughtful gift.