May Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: May Pregnancy

I think I've heard of women experiencing contractions for days or weeks before giving birth, so it doesn't sound unusual. But always worth asking the doc and exciting either way!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Clc- I'm a week behind you (36 weeks on Thursday) and the past week or so I've been having some weird pains too but nothing to take my breath away. Sometimes it feels like cramps and sometimes just sharp twinges here and there. I honestly don't think I've had any BH since I've never had feelings of painless tightening, unless BH can be somewhat painful. Plus I have absolutely nothing to compare any of this to, so who knows! I also plan on asking at my appt tomorrow if it could be BH, contractions, or just me not being hydrated enough. Either way we're in the home stretch!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

What exactly do BH contractions feel like???

Also, any advice on how to control babies feet in ribs? She is finally at the point where if I poke her, she moves like crazy, and I LOVE watching my belly move. I am also starting to feel feet when she kicks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

For me BH just feels like my stomach tightening around the baby and to the touch my stomach is really hard.  It's a little uncomfortable but not painful at all.  When the baby was smaller I could see the difference because my stomach would hug the LO and the area that he or she wasn't occupying would sort of flatten.  Now that they baby is bigger I just notice how hard my stomach is but it's not misshapen like before.

As for feet in the ribs, I've had a lot of that.  If it's particularly bad I try to give the little foot a push to see if I can get the baby to move.  Otherwise, I will try to adjust my position to not only get some relief but also to see if I can get the baby to change positions.  Sometimes the LO cooperates and sometimes I just have to deal with that little pesky foot!  I also love watching my belly move!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Has anyone had a tub birth or considering it? I don't even know if BWH does it, but I am really interested in it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Liz, I'm not sure about BWH, but I know that at NWH, you can labor in the tub, but you have to deliver on a bed.  I'm guessing BWH has similar rules, given that they're affiliate hospitals. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Liz,
    BWH has showers with multiple jets but no tubs.
    Although, if you're going to need an O2saturation monitor or any leads for cardiac monitoring, you won't be able to use the showers.  I don't know what your cardiologist thinks is appropriate/necessary for you but I was unable to be unattached from the machines during labor.  The wires were long and I didn't have an epidural so I could move around, change positions, walk the halls as much as I wanted, I just had to tow the stuff behind me.  I tried to convince them to let me take a break in the shower and they wouldn't let me.

At home I was in the bathtub for a while and it was really wonderful, made contractions a lot easier.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I didn't realize I had been having BH until I was in labor and the monitor could tell me when I was having a contraction.  At the time of the BH, it felt like DD was bracing herself and pushing against my stomach if that makes sense.  I felt like her arms and legs were on either side and her butt was up and she was pushing out in all directions and making things feel tight.  It wasn't painful at all for me, just very weird!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

CLC - I started getting random contractions 4 nights before my DD was born. I was told that morning at my 39 week apt that I was 1 cm. That night I kept waking up in pain. Then the next day they stopped completely. It was the same pattern but each night they were more regular and more painful so I knew real labor was coming. I didn't sleep at night and then during the day I was so amped up that I didn't rest as much as I should have. Each day I was packing and unpacking my labor bag, finalizing work, taking a shower. When I couldn't do any of those things anymore, I knew it was time to go to the hospital. Definitely try to get some rest while you can!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hmm, Lissa, that is pretty disapointing. Baths really relax me, in fact, I just got out of one! Speaking of, did any of you ladies take regular baths in your third trimester?? I always make sure that the water is lukewarm. But is it safe to take one every night?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lukewarm baths are safe during pregnancy, and anything safe for you and baby that relaxes you and helps you sleep well is awesome.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

With my first pregnancy I was so itchy in the last few months I would take an oatmeal bath almost every night.  It was the wintertime, so it was especially nice.  This time around I"m not really because I'm so hot and sweaty all the time I'm just taking cold showers to try to stop wilting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

I also take a bath every night.  I didnt even think twice about it but now that you mention it.  I dont see how it can be bad.  Im going to ask the doc tomorrow at my appt. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm not a bath person, but I'm with Lissa, right now I'm taking cold showers.  My poor DH, all week I've had the windows open and the fan on at night.  He's been freezing.  I already asked for him to put in the AC which is a little early considering it's only May on the Cape. 

AFM, 37 weeks today!  I got the car seat installed this morning and have a week and a day left at work.  After next Friday my boss is letting me work from home so that I don't have to use up any of my leave before the baby is born.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I think if it's too steamy hot of a bath you can overheat easily because you are pregnant.  I think in the old-school/old-wives' tale sense, some people assume you should avoid it because they don't understand that the water isn't going to mix with the amniotic fluid?  I guess. 
    You can't take baths after but that's because it takes over a month for your cervix to close up and your tears/inscisions to heal.

I do know that with my first pregnancy I didn't really follow the guidelines of lukewarm bath only, I made mind kind of hot, and it was fine.  It's not like I have a tub deep enough to actually submerge all my body at once haha.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: May Pregnancy:
    I think in the old-school/old-wives' tale sense, some people assume you should avoid it because they don't understand that the water isn't going to mix with the amniotic fluid?  I guess.
    Posted by lissafro

I think you're right.  My MIL told me that they used to say pregnant women shouldn't go swimming for that same reason.  !!
    Ah, swimming.  I was pregnant in July and I can so feel that cold ocean water on my swollen feet.  Ahhh...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I do know that with my first pregnancy I didn't really follow the guidelines of lukewarm bath only, I made mind kind of hot, and it was fine.  It's not like I have a tub deep enough to actually submerge all my body at once haha. -lissa

I'd have to warm it up pretty far past lukewarm to relax me, too.  I've read, actually, that it's literally hot tubs that are bad because they keep the water temp constantly hot (104) and since you're submerged up to your neck your body temp can go up to 101- 102 (bad for baby) w/in 10 minutes in that situation.  At home, though, your whole body isn't submerged, like lissa said, and the water cools off pretty fast.  I'm not recommending this, but if it were me I'd go with a pretty warm one because I believe it's safe and I despise cool water.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LCGCmomma. Show LCGCmomma's posts

Hi all! I'm been lurking for a while, but haven't had time to post anything recently. I'm now 20 weeks into this pregnancy, and it is totally kicking my butt! DS#1 is almost 18 months old and is into everything. He is such fun most of the time, but is also a TON of work right now! It makes me miss those days when I could plop him in the bucket seat and some dangly toy would keep him happy...

We found out that we are having another little boy! Our entire family has had boys forever. On my side, I'm the only girl in my generation and all boys in the next. On my husband's side, the youngest girl is 21 and everyone since her in multiple generations are boys. So although it may have been nice to get to have some pink and frills, we really had no chance! I will now be completely and forever outnumbered, since even our cat is a boy! HAHA.

For the contraction questions - with DS#1, at 37 weeks I started with contractions over the weekend. Sunday nights seemed to be my contraction night. They were painful and not very fun, but they went away after about an hour, so I knew it wasn't real labor. It was progress, though. After the first set I was 1cm dilated and 60% effaced and after the second set at 38 weeks I was 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. My OB told me that it could mean that I would deliver at any time, or I could just kindof hang out and keep progressing to my due date. Five days before my due date (and my last day of work!) I thought I had peed myself first thing in the morning. I swore, changed pants, and got in the car. DH had insisted that I sit on a towel in the car since the first contraction episode, which was good, because I kept "peeing"/leaking amniotic fluid all the way to work, about 30 min. I realized then that it might actually be that I was having a baby, so I called my OB, got some scrubs (I work in a hospital, but not where I was delivering of course), and drove home again. DH met me there and drove me to our hospital. I didn't have strong contractions for a while longer, but the persistent leaking of fluid made it obvious that it wasn't anything other than the beginnings of labor. I was told that it was pretty typical to have some contractions (not just BH) as a warm-up/progress. Real labor won't go away though :-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

From what I recall from my first pregnancy, hot tubs and hot baths were due to concerns about the heat affecting the fetus' development (we can cool off by sweating, but the baby can not). You want to check with your doctor, I think mine said as long as it is not warmer than my body temp was not too bad.

I am not a bath person... and with a toddler, I don't think I am going to get a chance for baths anyway without him trying to climb on top of me and join me (and then there would be DH worrying about the growing baby inside me getting squished by our toddler if he does try to climb in). At this point, I am going to prefer naps over baths if I get DH to wrangle DS for a short time without me :)

I am only 24 weeks, so I have a while to go... and sometimes I stare at the mini-crib from #1, and think about how we need to raise it back to top level, wash the sheets, wash the newborn clothes, get the carrier out with car bases... then we postpone it - most likely won't be until like July that we start to figure out what we have and what we need.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back LCGC and congrats and best wishes on #2. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for all the feedback re: baths. I am currently filling the tub for one! I keep the water warm, not steaming hot, so I am not worried. I have found that taking a bath around this time each night really helps me relax and get sleepy, so I am going to continue doing so unless my OB says otherwise.

I am 30 weeks tomorrow, and literally can not believe it. As you may all remember, I kept talking about how my pregnancy was draaaaaaging the first and second trimesters and now I have 10 weeks left. I am starting to get a little anxious about labor and delivery, and where I work, I meet with new clients everyday and ALL of the women I meet with LOVE telling me their stories. I literally just smile and nod.

Heartburn is still bad, but the medicine is helping a little. I just always feel like I have some stuck in my throat.

I hope all of you are doing well! clc, I can't believe you have 3 weeks left, that is crazy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks for all the feedback re: baths. I am currently filling the tub for one! I keep the water warm, not steaming hot, so I am not worried. I have found that taking a bath around this time each night really helps me relax and get sleepy, so I am going to continue doing so unless my OB says otherwise.

I am 30 weeks tomorrow, and literally can not believe it. As you may all remember, I kept talking about how my pregnancy was draaaaaaging the first and second trimesters and now I have 10 weeks left. I am starting to get a little anxious about labor and delivery, and where I work, I meet with new clients everyday and ALL of the women I meet with LOVE telling me their stories. I literally just smile and nod.

Heartburn is still bad, but the medicine is helping a little. I just always feel like I have some stuck in my throat.

I hope all of you are doing well! clc, I can't believe you have 3 weeks left, that is crazy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, I'm glad you're keeping up the warm, relaxing baths.  I think getting a good night's restful, restorative sleep is so important especially while pregnant, and if a warm bath helps you get it, as long as you don't overheat, you and baby will be totally OK.  You sound more like your "old self" - so glad you are doing better with your depression and anxiety.  As you know, I can totally relate.  And, everyone gets anxious about labor and delivery, not just those being treated for generalized anxiety so I hope you'll be at peace about feeling anxious about it...if that makes any sense, lol.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: May Pregnancy:
    Liz, I'm glad you're keeping up the warm, relaxing baths.  I think getting a good night's restful, restorative sleep is so important especially while pregnant, and if a warm bath helps you get it, as long as you don't overheat, you and baby will be totally OK.  You sound more like your "old self" - so glad you are doing better with your depression and anxiety.  As you know, I can totally relate.  And, everyone gets anxious about labor and delivery, not just those being treated for generalized anxiety so I hope you'll be at peace about feeling anxious about it...if that makes any sense, lol.
    Posted by kargiver

Thank you, Kar. I still have some down days, but I am doing much better than last month. It is still day by day for me, but I am more hopeful than I was before. I am so happy I made the decision to go back on my meds, and encourage any women who has anxiety/depression to continue them even when they get pregnant. I wish I had a glass ball 7 months ago that would have showed me what would have happened.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Liz - as you know, I was in the same boat with the anxiety and the meds.  I had good success with not worrying *too* much about labor and delivery using the same techniques as I would for other worries.  Reminding myself it was only for a short time, deep breathing, reminding myself of the positives to come, et cetera.  Whatever has worked for you in other areas!  And, of course, as Kar said, reminding yourself that it is *normal* to have worries.

cwagner - this is for you, after your comment about your toddler climbing into the tub.  :)
    http://crappypictures.com/2012/05/how-to-show-appreciation-on-mothers-day.html

Sections
Shortcuts