Morning sickness advice?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Morning sickness advice?

Amazing how the memories of the aches and pains of pregnancy dim over time! Now at 8 weeks and morning sickness is whooping me as I try in vain to keep up with my 3 year old. It's SO much worse than I remember, and is lasting all day. Any suggestions for relief would be greatly appreciated! Feeling quite desperate :( Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Re: Morning sickness advice?

It's so much harder with the second because you can't rest and take care of yourself as much.

The best tip I ever got was keep something in your stomach AT ALL TIMES.  It sounds crazy, but consider keeping snacks in your bathroom and snacking if you get up during the night.

For some weird reason, lifesavers or sucking candies helped me.

Ginger anything (tea, candy, etc), I used it as a good excuse to eat ginger snaps.  

Hydrate, excessively.  I know it's hard to do when you're queasy, but dehydration could be the culprit.  Try sneaking sips all day long.

I don't know if this applies to you, but I was much sicker while pregnant with my girl.

Good luck, it WILL pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marriedmom. Show marriedmom's posts

You have my deepest sympathies! I am 27w now with my 3rd baby, and this is the first time I really suffered with morning sickness, and this time it was all day every day from about week 6 to week 20 or 21.

What helped me:
     - eat something/drink a little before getting out of bed. My husband would bring me a piece of toast first thing every morning. If he was traveling for work, I'd make sure to bring up crackers or something the night before.
     - crunchy foods were my friend. For some reason, anything like a crunchy salad, carrots, pretzels, etc. helped with nausea. Salty/vinegary things also like olives. Lemon water too.
     - I definitely found I felt better on days when I was well hydrated and worse on days when I wasn't. A good day probably meant 60-70oz of straight water, plus the occasional seltzer, decaf, etc.

Finally, for several weeks in the middle there, I took medication. I'm a fairly crunchy, all-natural kind of girl (like I maybe took one tylenol during my previous pregnancies), but honestly when you've got kids to chase (I'm a SAHM) you have to be able to function.  My OB prescribed me zofran at a low dose and something (can't remember the name) that is a suppository (gross, but that stuff worked better for me). If you really are having a hard time, it may be worth considering.

I hope this time passes quickly for you. It is hard, but it will pass.

PS: I am also having a girl - I have read that there is a statistical correlation that girl pregnancies have more ms. I had a little with my first daughter and none with my son!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

It's so true, micromom. The second is so much harder because you can't just curl up in bed and be miserable. I had morning sickness with my girl and not my boy (and, of course, I had my girl second!). What helped me was saltine crackers. It was the only thing that settled my stomach.
    Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. Hopefully by the 2nd trimester it will go away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trader Joe's has a wide selection of high quality ginger yummies that actually have a ton of real ginger.  Ginger chews, triple ginger snaps, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Thank you all so much--amazing how comforting it is, getting these responses. My husband is being great about doing double-time parenting, catering to my needs, and delivering requested snacks bedside, but expressing sympathy isn't his strongpoint, so you mamas rock! Will try your suggestions--been living on saltines and pretzels, but fluids are indeed hard to get down. Will renew efforts! I've been having girl dreams, but power of suggestion may be at play. My little boy vascillates between wanting a baby brother or sister, but consistently reports he'll be a big sister when baby arrives!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, speaking of hydration, ginger beer (non-alcoholic) is a really strong (super spicy!) version of ginger ale, and they have that at TJ's, too.  You can get hydrated and get a big hit of ginger at the same time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The only thing that helped me when I had morning sickness with my b/g twins was Seabands. The morning sickness stopped immediately once I started wearing them. If I took them off, it came back. So I wore them from week 8 to about week 18. They inexpensive and drug free - so worth a try.
    I certainly hope you feel better soon!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MamaMama2. Show MamaMama2's posts

Thanks so much to everyone who responded! Happy to report feeling MUCH better, thanks to a nightly dose of Unisom 25 mg. (Got approval from OB.) Sea bands didn't help, and we're really uncomfortable for me, though I know several people who have had better luck with them. So grateful to be feeling better. Now just need to kick this nasty cold!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great!

I was curious about the Unisom and found that many doctors recommend it in combination with B6 for m/s.  The added benefit of B6 is that it supports immune system function so would also help with your cold.  

Sections
Shortcuts