Natural Childbirth Class and Lamaze

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhime. Show bostonhime's posts

Natural Childbirth Class and Lamaze

Is it necessary to take a natural childbirth class AND lamaze classes, or can I just take the natural childbirth class? The class I signed up for meets 4 times, 3 hrs each time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

Re: Natural Childbirth Class and Lamaze

I haven't taken my childbirth class yet but I don't think you need to take both.  I'm taking a Hypnobirthing class (which meets 5 times for 2.5 hrs) and I was told that I didn't need to take an additional class.  HTH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'd ask the instructor if the natural cb class includes Lamaze breathing techniques.  It probably does, but couldn't hurt to ask at the source. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I took my CB class at NWH-and everyone in the class said they wanted to learn breathing techniques. Like Miss said-Lamaze is not a natural breathing method, that they found women in the throws of labor will breath the way they do, and forcing breaths a certain way isn't helpful.
    We did learn techniques to refocus your energy so you don't focus on the pain of contractions. which did work during the class.

From my experience, all I could focus on was ensuring the dude with the epi was waiting for me in my room! All the intake questions made it hard for me to focus.

I'd focus your time and $$ on an Infant CPR class and a natural CB class.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

All I could focus on was swearing. Good luck, ladies.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhime. Show bostonhime's posts

Yes, I'm also taking a class on how to take care of your newborn (this is my first baby) and Infant/Child CPR. My first Natural Childbirth class starts tomorrow at Harvard Vanguard. I looked into the Isis classes but they are so expensive! All 3 of my classes costs the total of 1 of Isis' classes. I've heard the Isis ones are wonderful but costs are important now esp with all the baby gear I need.
    I had a friend who took a hypnobirthing class and loved it too. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I took the hypnobirthing class though Harvard Vanguard and the teacher was awesome (she also teaches at Isis, I think). So don't worry about Harvard Vanguard classes being not as good. I think what is important is making sure to ask any and all questions, so you are comfortable with what to expect

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nene72. Show nene72's posts

IPW,

I'm not sure where you work but Harvard Vanguard's classes are great and there's a mother's gym Mama's Move in Hingham that also provides classes (but that's probably too far for you).  It's definately worth it to compare costs since there is a wide range. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

If you just want first aid or CPR, the Red Cross give classes in both infant-child and adult (I think it's called community CPR). Many workplaces offer it for free (mine does) but they often only do it at specific times of the year (once or twice, maybe quarterly if it is a large workplace) and it is pretty cheap through the red cross, I think.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

LOL, lemonmelon, me too.  4 times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My husband was laughing because I'd go through a contraction and start screaming obscenities, then apologize between contractions, then start up again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Lemon - there was a recent study that supports this.  I believe they submerged people's in ice water and those who swore could hold on the longest.  Your technique is sound. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Luck--We just saw that on Mythbusters last week.  Ha.  It's funny how much of a devil you become during a contraction and then you're perfectly fine.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clynn5683. Show clynn5683's posts

Instead of lamaze I recommend hypnobirthing, I tried it and totally loved the class.  It made a huge difference in my pain tolerance.