Need help - where to deliver?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Need help - where to deliver?

Hi, I'm a first time poster and have found this forum very helpful.  I'm currently 24 weeks and recently moved to Melrose.  My current OB/midwife is in Chelmsford and I was planning on delivering at Lowell General, but now I'm rethinking this plan. Partially because of distance and partially because I haven't been crazy about my OB practice so far.  I'd ideally like a practice or hospital that uses midwives and I'm looking for recommendations.  Does anyone have any experience with Winchester Hospital or Melrose Wakefield?  I saw that Mt. Auburn is highly recommended, but it may be hard to get there for appointments from work (way up in North Andover). I would love any suggestions, as I haven't found much in my search.  Thanks in advance! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: Need help - where to deliver?

I delievered at Melrose Wakefield and going back in January for baby #2.  Loved my doctor and thought the hospital was great and loved all the nurses.  Also the food was much better than expected.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Betty - I live in Melrose too!  I don't know anything about Melrose-Wakefield but I have had a ton of friends deliver at Winchester Hospital and they came from Chelmsford and N. Andover to do it.  They all had wonderful experiences and raved about how great the staff and experience was.  We are delivering at MGH ourselves.  I don't have any names of ob's though..sorry.  If and when you look for pediatricians let me know...we have been interviewing ones in this area!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow, I'm in Melrose too! Not pg yet, but I'll be looking in to Winchester as I have had friends deliver there and liked it.   I have also been looking into using a midwife, and Mt. Auburn is not too far either... 

From what I have looked into, so far I have only found that Mt. Auburn or the North Shore birthing center, in Beverly, seem to be the only options. Sorry I can't help more! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peninakai. Show Peninakai's posts

North Shore Birthing Center at Salem Hospital is where I delivered both my girls!  Loved it!  If I recall, at least 2 of the rooms have jet-baths that you can use during labor.  I had one of those rooms and used it.  I know some people might think this gross...I found it quite relaxing and helpful.  I ended up with a last minute c-section but that was okay too.  The post-partum rooms are all quite large and have space for visitors.  

I also go to Pediatric Health Associates.  They have an office in Melrose.  (Dr. Joe is GREAT!!!!)  Have a happy pregnancy and easy delivery!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

I delivered at Melrose/Wakefield and couldn't have had a better experience. Not sure about midwives since I didn't go that route. But all the nurses in delivery and recovery were wonderful, I loved them all. They catered to every wish and made me feel so comfotable. My doctor was great too (Dr. Jennifer Wu).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I'm delivering at MGH, but I have a lot of friends in that area and Dr. Wu gets RAVES.  I'm relatively sure you can't go wrong there. 

If Pediatric Health Associates is the same as Pediatric Healthcare Associates (PHCA), then I second that as well.  We just had our pedi consult last night and I LOVED the guy.  They're the biggest on the North Shore, which has its good and bad, but for me as a working-mom-to-be?  It hits all my must-haves.  They're also VERY organized, web-friendly, have lactation consultants on staff and an off-hours office in Peabody so you can avoid the ER at all costs if baby spikes a fever on a Saturday.  I actually called them to try to leave a message for the LC a couple weekends ago and the triage nurse picked up.  On Sunday.  Done. 

Here's a link:

http://www.phcapediatrics.com/directory/locations

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Funny,  I'm also in Melrose. I have loved Melrose-Wakefield so far. I'm only 5 weeks but they were great during my m/c and I've heard great things about them from women who have delivered there. I'm seeing Dr. O'Connor and I really like him. I've also heard great things about Witkowski.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi
    I delivered my son at Winchester Hospital and it was a great experience.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jend0428. Show jend0428's posts

I delivered both of my boys (and prego with 3) at Brigham and Women's.   I also used a doula (midwife) and my Dr was fine with it, as was the nursing staff.  We also had a birthing plan and the nurses were very accomodating.  I live in Wakefield but my Dr has always been in Boston and I didn't want to switch.  I also had a complication with my first that the Brigham found upon triage and they induced me right away.  I would highly recommend.  However, if you want to go local, I have friends that delivered at Winchester and loved it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Im a Dr. Wu patient too, I just love her!  She is all about the patient!  Her partner, Dr, K, is nice and just very straightforward. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Thanks for all the input!  I'm so glad to hear all the positive reviews of both hospitals.  I did find out after more research that Winchester doesn't use midwives at all and i think Melrose-Wakefield might have 1 who delivers there.  I'm not set on having a midwife as long as I find a doctor I feel comfortable with.  June - do you mind sharing who your OB was?  Glad to see so many Melrose ladies on here! Also thanks for the pediatric recommendations. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Dr. Wu, you cant go wrong with her, she is fantastic!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Maybe we should have a melrose party?  How long have you ladies lived here? I just bought a house with DH, loving it so far. It's unbelievable how neighbors actually talk to you! Coming from boston, it's quite a shock!  I may have to run next door to borrow a cup of sugar just because I can! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

We should! I sort of lied I'm actually in Wakefield, but I'm right on the border. :-) We just bought a house in March, but so far we are very  happpy with the area.

I feel bad b/c all of our neighbors were so nice and introduced themselves on Easter Sunday, a week after we moved in, and I have since forgotten every single one of their names...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kc0509. Show kc0509's posts

Ok, you know how when you are pregnant, people tell you terrible, terrible stories, and then you think, 'What an awful person to tell me that' ...I'm going to be that awful person.

I gave birth to my first at a community hospital with a VERY nice birthing center and a great reputation.  Then my son was born with serious, serious complications.  The hospital could not handle him and he was rushed to MGH in the middle of the night in an ambulance that DH was not allowed to ride in.  So, DH was driving into Boston in the middle of the night after no sleep for 24 hrs, totally panicked.

I, on the other hand, was left behind without my baby.  I checked myself out against medical advice, hours after giving birth, and my mom drove me in to MGH.  MGH would not admit me, (apparently they would have if I had a c-section) so I ended up with a cot in the guest area of the NICU. Shared bathroom, no post-baby care.  The NICU nurses were awesome and brought me supplies from maternity, but it was still just an absolute nightmare on so many levels.  Many of the moms in the NICU were in the same situation, so it happens.  Not often, but it happens. 

I HIGHLY recommend giving birth in a hospital with a serious NICU, just in case. 

We had our second at Beth Israel.  The labor and delivery there is very hospital-ly, very serious business. I was not allowed to even stand up after getting an epidural. However, the maternity (where you stay for a couple days) was very nice, warm, good staff, good food, and in general, a great place. And I felt much, much better the whole time knowing if something went wrong, we would all be in the same building.  Second baby was fine, perfect, and no problems of course! 

Sorry to be "that" person, just my 2 cents.

Sections
Shortcuts