November 2012 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

November 2012 Pregnancy

Just figured I would start this post, even though it's been super quiet around here lately!

Not much new.  2 weeks and 1 day until we can find out anything else.  Seems like forever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Re: November 2012 Pregnancy

Med - Thanks for starting the new thread! Sorry to hear that you're still stuck in limbo. How are you holding up?

I had my first appointment today. (I know, I know. I'm almost 15 weeks!) It could not have gone any better! They took all of my labs from MGH and didn't make me do a physical exam. They didn't even take a urine sample! The best news, of course, is that we heard a healthy heartbeat! She had a little bit of a hard time finding it first (apparently my long torso is making my uterus hard to find and then of course she was looking on the wrong side) but when we finally heard it, just wow! I'm so relieved! We're going to tell DH's grandparents over the weekend. My MIL is dying to tell people. (She was actually upset that I told my coworkers before we let her tell the aunts...)

Lissa, thanks for the advice about the sciatica. I did go to yoga last week and it didn't help! I felt like a 90 year old woman, limping all over the place! Something changed for the better Friday morning. I don't know if the baby was using my nerve as a pillow or what. I didn't think he or she is heavy enough to hurt me, but man, I was wrong! I'm feeling a lot better. Thanks for your advice!

I hope everyone got through the storm okay!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Chiclet - that's great!  That first heartbeat is great.  :)  Hope your pain continues to improve.

I am fine, just the waiting stinks.  Plus I am STILL getting sick!  It's definitely better - I am usually okay during the majority of the day.  But I still throw up in the morning a couple of times per week.  I can't remember when this passed by with DD.  My OB said it's not unusual, but it's not pleasant either.

The good news is that other than that, I'm feeling good physically - strong, bit less tired, and I can still wear my pants (this is an *extra* blessing since I'm not in the mood to tell people).  Plus my chest looks better - it was a little deflated after DD!  :)  That's a nice perk (ha ha) even if it's only temporary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Med -- Glad to hear your mostly feeling better, but I'm sorry you're still playing the waiting game.  I have my fingers crossed that you'll get good news at your next appt.

Chiclet -- So happy they took your labs and didn't make you get more bloodwork. Will you find out the gender at your next appt (or are you waiting)?

Not much going on with me. I'm 14 weeks now, so I made it to the second trimester, which is a relief. I'm feeling good, and hoping that everything is fine. I am also still fitting into most of my pants, and I'm hoping that is normal for a first pregnancy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyFrappy. Show HappyFrappy's posts

Hi Everyone! 

Longtime lurker here. I lurked over on the wedding boards when I got married a few years ago, and I moved over to these boards after becoming pregnant a few months ago. It's so great to see familiar names from the wedding boards over here now.

I'm 20 weeks today and just recently found out the gender. We haven't shared the news with anyone yet, as we were waiting until this weekend to "reveal" the news to all our family and friends. 

JL - I just wanted to say that this is also my first pregnancy and I was wearing my regular pants up until 16-17 weeks. I then started using a bella band and I just recently switched over to maternity pants (this week). I could probably still get away with wearing some of my regular pants with a bella band right now, except for my jeans. GAP maternity jeans have been a godsend this week! 

Good luck, ladies! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Aww, am I the only one who had to switch to her fat pants? My one pair of jeans that fit will probably last a few more weeks, but I think I'll be lucky if my work pants last me next week. I've been out of my regular pants for the last 3 weeks or so now. It completely grosses me out that these used to be my regular pants without being pregnant!

I will schedule my anatomy scan at my next appointment, so I guess that's more like 6 weeks away. We're going to find out but we're not going to tell anyone until our shower. Pink is my absolute favorite color (as you can probably tell from my avatar) and I just know that if it's a girl, the shower is going to be a pink-splosion. That and, have you been to Target lately? It's ALL tutus. When did that become a thing? I just want things to be nice and neutral for the shower. But I can't not know myself! My MIL is of course upset and keeps asking if she can be on the list of people who find out the gender (which right now consists of me and DH). I tried to tell her that she's going to get to buy this kid clothes for the rest of her life and that the first 3 months doesn't have to be pink or blue AND she's already buying us the crib so how much clothes does she think she's giving us? If it's not one thing it's another with her. Yesterday, it was that we went to look at a daycare and what are we doing putting her grandchild in daycare when she's home 2 days a week. I just can't say the right thing with her! 

Wow, that turned out to be an unexpected rant. Sorry about that!

Welcome Happy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Welcome, Happy! Thanks for the reassurance on the pants issue. I was just a tad worried that I'm not growing as quickly as I should be. Have fun with your gender reveal -- are you doing it in any special way (like a cake w/ blue or pink food coloring or anything?) I hope you will reveal the gender to us next week, too!

Oh Chiclet, don't feel bad about outgrowing your pants! I think everyone shows at different times. I have outgrown some work pants and some jeans, but others are still fitting ok (although I when I take them off, I have red marks on my stomach). Re: not telling people the gender till after the shower, that is a great idea -- that way, people will actually get you stuff from your registry rather than cute pink or blue outfits. Sorry to hear your MIL is being a bit of a pain; I fully expect mine to become more intrusive/annoying as time goes by (she was a nightmare during wedding planning). Luckily she lives 3,000 miles away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

JL - Thanks! I thought my MIL liked me until the minute DH and I got engaged. I swear she did a complete 360 and our relationship never really recovered. I'd like to say that I stopped trying after last Christmas (which was a disaster) but every so often I like to throw her a bone because I think it will make her happy and it always backfires on me. We live in the same town as both sets of parents and DH's sister, so they're all kind of unavoidable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Med, thinking of you in your stressful wait...hoping for the best, of course.

chicklet, ask your ob about safe sciatic nerve pain exercises and stretches for pg.  Even just tight muscles or pressure on your back, specifically your lower discs, can cause it; it doesn't have to necessarily be the baby pressing on that nerve.  Sitting on an exercise ball as a chair is something my aunt, a chiropractor, recommends for it.

jl, there are people who never show at all and still have healthy babies.  Depends on your uterus position, the baby's position, your weight, etc.  my high school BFF was 110 pounds when she got pregnant and was able to wear her white prom dress as her wedding gown at 7 MONTHS pregnant...unaltered.  I was in the wedding; I saw first hand. Her healthy, 7 lb baby was born 2 months later and is now recently engaged.  Time flies.

However, it's far more common for the hormones of early pregnancy to distend your belly so that your regular pants feel terrible.  Then, the baby's actual growth replaces the bloating and you start showing because of the baby. Between the hormone bloating and then the baby the "showing" can happen very early, long before the baby is responsible.  chicklet, try not to worry; your pants being too tight can easily be due to how hormones are affecting your body very naturally.

welcome happyfrappy, I remember you from the wedding boards - congrats!

chicklet, if your mil is upset and is begging to know the gender before the shower she might be planning to make a baby blanket or other handmade gift that she wants to choose a gorgeous blue or pink for.  While I respect the right of the parents to surprise everyone, I crochet and despise when I have to put many hours into what I think is an ugly neutral colored gift because I don't know the gender.  My BFF had triplet boys, and instead of beautiful shades of blue, I had to go with all cream.  Yuck.  There was no way I was spending money and effort on three more blankets after they were born (I did make a pink one after their surprise girl arrived despite having made a neutral one for the shower) so they are stuck with cream.  maybe your mil doesn't knit or crochet and this isn't why she is so set on being told the gender, but it springs to mind as a possibility.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fuzzymiss9. Show Fuzzymiss9's posts

Just checking in, 38 weeks today.  Now we play the waiting game, where every twinge has me thinking 'is it now??' like a crazy person.  So over pregnancy, it's uncomfortable, bring back the 2nd trimester where a cute bump was manageable!

Good wishes to everyone else on the journey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Happy - congratulations and welcome!

Chiclet - I think with DD (now 2 years) I was growing out of my pre-prego pants more quickly.  The thing is that since I've had her, even though I'm technically the same weight as before DD, things didn't really get back to the same places.  So most of the clothes I was wearing before this pregnancy were styles that were more forgiving in the tummy, even if they weren't technically larger.

Fuzzymiss - good luck!

Kar - FWIW, I thought those cream blankets were beautiful - I love that color.  And thanks for the kind thoughts.  It's a good day / bad day kind of situation, but trying to remain patient and hope for a peaceful outcome.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Hi ladies, its probably very early to make the leap from the ttc boards, but I'm tired of just secretly lurking :)

I just wrapped up my 2nd round of ivf and can't believe after SO many BFNs this actually worked!  Had my first beta last Tuesday at 14dpo and came back at 346.  Beta #2 at 16dpo was 970 and just got the call today with beta #3 at 3,300.  I'll be 5 weeks tomorrow and my next step is my first ultrasound at 6 weeks next tuesday.  So excited, but nervous and still in shock.

Sadly I think I'm already showing (at least showing bloat).  The ivf shots cause your ovaries to leak fluid and make you look really bloated, then compounded with the bloat caused by all the early preg hormones I have only 3 pairs of pants that still fit.  I may have to consider a bella band soon since my wardrobe is becoming limited but am too nervous to buy something maternity quite yet.

Kar, I saw those cream blankets, and they were gorgeous.   Those are some very lucky triplets.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, med and SS, I appreciate it.  I thought they were really nice for what I had to work with for information, but in my heart of hearts I wish I had known so they could have all been coordinating shades of blue.  Honestly, though, I am pleased with how they came out just making the point that if someone is begging to know the gender there might be more behind the request than pure curiosity or annoying sense of familial entitlement.

best wishes to you both, again...waiting is hard no matter what we're waiting for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Kar, I get where you're coming from. My MIL isn't the crafty one in the family, so that's not it. She just wants to shop the clearance rack at Kohl's. DH's sister, on the other hand, is an artist and her traditional shower gift is a the baby's name painted on a sign, so that's why she wants to know so badly. Honestly, the rate we're going, I don't think we'll be settled on a name until we're in the delivery room so I'm not sure knowing the gender would do her any good. My mom knits and has already gone out and bought black and gold yarn to make a Bruins sweater and is currently knitting the baby a teal-ish Christmas stocking. DH's sister is begging us to tell her because she's "really good at keeping secrets and she won't buy anything pink." I had to laugh because she's definitely the one who ruined DH's 30th birthday surprise party. I prefer to keep her at arm's length anyway. I just find that the more I trust my in-laws, the more space that gives them to hurt me.

SS - The bloating gets better. Or at least, it gets replaced by the baby etc. I've found that trying on maternity pants early just made me feel awkward because they're all too big and I didn''t want to buy something and have it not fit when I need it because I gained weight in unexpected places. If you don't end up liking the band, it may be worth it to buy a few pairs of regular pants the next size up. Although, I've heard good things about the maternity pants from The Gap that have a stretchy waist instead of the full panel. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Chicklet, I understand.  I kind of used your situation to put it out there about the yarn so others can consider it, too.  Wise of you to learn fast not to give people too much leeway if they consistently use it to hurt you even if it's family...no, especially given it's family!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Chiclet, thanks for the pant advice.  I figure I'm going to try to hold out as long as possible in hopes the bloating will go down (sweater dresses have been my friend lately).  Will check out the Gap first though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Ironically, I've never been able to wear sweater dresses because my naturally round stomach sticks out and makes me look pregnant. I told DH I'm going out and buying a ton of them because now I can wear them and not have to worry! :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

SS - congratulations and welcome!  :)  What happy news.

Chiclet - I agree on sweater dresses!  I have never looked good in anything that hangs/drapes.  Fitted stuff is always more flattering.

However, since I am now quasi-hiding the pregnancy, I have become a big fan of long, draping sweater cardigans over my more fitted shirts.  They don't cling, so they don't emphasize the belly, but they do hide it a bit and since they swing freely you see that I'm wearing one of my normal fitted shirts so it doesn't seem strange.  Just got a couple of nice new ones at Marshall's.  Now if I could just do something about the hormone-related breakouts...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

Med, I'm doing the same thing with long cardigans, especially at work. And I hear you on the breakouts -- I've never seen anything like it. My skin is worse now than it was at 15. My doctor prescribed clindomycin but it's not helping. Anyone have any advice on getting rid of pregnancy acne?

SS -- congratulations and welcome!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Oh no, when do the breakouts typically start? Not looking forward to reliving my teen years skin wise.

I'm already worried I'm going to gain a ton of weight in the first trimester (and know your not supposed to).  I'm just constantly starving.  This morning I've already had an egg and cheese sandwich, grapes, a banana, yogurt and almonds.  Its only 11am and I can't wait for lunch!  I'm trying to make sure its all healthy calories, but still there is no way I can metabolize all of this without packing on the pounds.  I was never really even a breakfast person before.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hunger is your body's natural signal for needing food.  When you eat when you aren't hungry or beyond when you're satisfied is how you'll gain weight.  If you eat when you're hungry, the food is nutrient-dense, and eat slowly enough for your brain to process that you've had enough, you'll not gain weight.  Pay close attention to your hunger level, and you'll be OK even if it seems you are eating more right now.  It's when people use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want whenever they want regardless of whether they are truly hungry that they gain more weight than is necessary and healthy for the pregnancy.  And, remember, if you start off at a healthy weight, an approximate 25 lb weight gain is recommended for a singleton pregnancy.  I don't know what it is for twins, but my BFF was told she had to gain 50 lbs for her triplets to be healthy...so for twins it would obviously be between 25 and 50 lbs if you are starting at a healthy weight.  I also know she put on quite a bit with the triplets in the first trimester and did not end up being heavier than she was supposed to be when she delivered.  Try not to worry if you are paying attention to satisfying your hunger with nutrient-dense food.

I find tea tree oil to help with my breakouts.  Trader Joe's sells a TTO face wash I use.  (I don't know if TTO is OK for pregnancy; check with your OB if you are concerned.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

SS - if you're getting your extra calories from healthy sources, I don't think you have much to worry about. I felt like I was constantly eating but it was mostly cheese and nuts. I only gained 2 lbs in my first 12 weeks (I'm a little overweight to begin with) and the midwife said that it was probably because I was keeping my metabolism up. I just found that if my belly was full, I didn't feel sick. As long as you're not pounding cupcakes or anything, I say eat when you're hungry and it will get sorted out.

I also use tea tree oil from The Body Shop for breakouts. They have a little spot treatment wand that I find to be really good (as well as a whole cleanser/moisturizer treatment). One of my coworkers said that he knew I was pregnant because my chin was all broken out. *sigh*

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla7. Show jleighla7's posts

SS - I was also starving in the first tri, and eating was the only thing that helped my nausea. Like Chiclet, I only gained 2-3 pounds, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Kar and Chiclet, I'll ask my doctor about tea tree oil. Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping my skin troubles aren't too noticeable at work, as I've been using a foundation I highly recommend -- Stila Perfect & Correct (in case anyone's in the market for some new makeup). Chiclet, I can't believe a male co-worker commented on your breakouts!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

He's my "work husband" if that makes it any better. His wife just had a baby last year so he's in tune to these things. He knew I was pregnant when I came back from the blood test, he was just waiting for me to tell him! (You know it's bad when you tell your boss your news and he says, "I'm not surprised." Apparently, I dodged enough after-work drinks to be noticed.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Chiclet, that sounds like something my DH would be dumb enough to say to his "work wife" but he still probably should have kept that comment to himself.

Glad to hear others have experienced this and not gained an unhealthy amount.  I'm at a normal weight now (BMI 22) but I started this pregnancy at a disadvantage with about 5 extra pounds I put on during the months of ivf.  It's strange my hunger seems to calm down after lunchtime and I can make it to dinner with just one snack in between, but the mornings are just ridiculous.  I have to have something to eat every hour or my stomach is growling.  I guess I just need to stop worrying about it.  Better to have more dieting to do after than starve the baby(ies) now.

Six more days until my first ultrasound.  The wait is killing me!

Sections
Shortcuts