November Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: November Pregnancy

I had a m/c at 10 weeks. I strongly recommend only telling close family and friends and not telling work. I actually started a new job a few days after the m/c and had to tell them about it b/c I was on narcotic painkillers and I needed a whiz quiz b/c of a security test.  Let's just say the supervisor, who was a guy, was SO uncomfortable w/ this information. Had I known the people more and had to deal w/ sympathy from work people, it would have been much much harder.  For these reasons, I strongly suggest waiting to tell non-essential and work people until after the first trimester.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck, Jenn, in the final weeks.  Sorry to hear it's becoming uncomfortable, luckily you only have to endure it for a few more weeks. And lol about your cankles comment.  I'm sure those are in my future!

Good luck with the pedi search, Boston.  I think it's fine if you're just visiting one if you end up liking them.  It's not like your choice is set in stone.  If they end up not being what you were looking for you can always make a switch after the baby is born.

AFM, I have some severe pain in my lower back (really more my butt region), it's just to the left of my tail bone and its been pretty painful after a long day.  I'm considering putting a call into my OB to see if I can go to the chiropractor.  Has anyone else gone to the chiropractor during their pregnancy?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Liz... the gas pains can be so bad.  I remember around 10 weeks going for a walk with DH in a nearby park and doubling over with pain to the point that I couldn't even hold the dog's leash.  At one point I really didn't think I was going to make it home because every step hurt so bad.   Had to sit for 10 minutes to let the worst of it pass.  (hehe... quite literally)  If you were a coffee/tea drinker before you got pg and have gone cold turkey ... it might be worth taking extra steps to make sure you keep things moving in that department.  I still have 2-3 cups of coffee a week and started drinking plum juice in the morning (prune juice was just too gross to get down, but plum has about the same amount of fiber). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

I second waiting a bit to tell work if you can. I had a m/c at 8 weeks and had to deal with that at work. I  told work about the pregnancy very early (6 weeks) because all the appointments had crazy scheduled times and could never seem to be done on the same day. It resulted in me working from home and missing lots of work. I wanted to be honest with my boss about why I missing so much work.
    Then I lost the pregnancy and had to take time off for a D&C. I work with mostly men and it was awkward coming back to work to say the least. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but something to consider.

This time I am also making sure the Dr.'s office can schedule things together, like u/s and exam, so I don't have to go in there twice in one week and minimize my time off. So I think that will help me keep a lid on it for a bit longer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Liz - I had really bad gas cramps during my first trimester...they freaked me out, but everything checked out at my doctors appointments and eventually they went away.  

Summer - I understand your worries.  My mom outed me twice on FB when I had asked my family many times not to put anything on the internet.

AFM - I am currently at the hopsital for my induction.  It's so weird after all this waiting to know that within the next 24 hrs (I HOPE!) I will have a baby in my arms.  Wish me luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hib, so sorry you went through that.  I honestly think it's easier to downplay the risk of sharing the news earlier for any number of reasons at work early unless you've gone through or witnessed what happens when something does go wrong and everyone has to find out pretty much one at a time.  People on vacation come back, ask you how you're feeling...it goes on and on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Liz - Ditto on the pains. Mine weren't even always gas, which was disconcerting, but I experienced some of the same sensations and nothing was wrong. I got reassurance by calling my doc's office, though, so if you think that would help, it's worth at least talking to your PCP.

Clc - I've been going to a chiropractor for back and piri-formus (butt/hip muscle) pain and it's been great. My chiro knows a ton about pregnancy, so there is zero worry about treatment, though it is kind of frustrating to me that he can't work as hard on me as when I wasn't pg. FWIW, he also told me most of the limitations on chiro treatment during pregnancy have to do with concern about injury to the mom (b/c of looser joints, etc.) than any risk to the baby.

Leila -- Good luck with your induction! Hope you're holding that baby in no time at all! So exciting!

Jenn -- Congrats on entering the home stretch. If you feel comfortable posting, where did you go to talk to pediatricians? I know we live in the same area so any recs would be great!

AFM - I think we're zeroing in on a daycare. We saw a fabulous place today -- great, enthusiastic owner, happy kids, beautiful, sparkling clean place, lots of great toys/activities -- that would be my top choice except for hours, cost and (to a lesser degree) location convenience. Yeah, those are kind of biggies. So I think we're going with our previous first choice where we really liked the woman, the play space was safe and cute (if a bit small) and all the logistics were great for us. I almost wish we hadn't gone on this appt today because I was so content with this first place but now feel like I've seen the luxury model and am second-guessing my more basic one. Sigh...we went through this buying a house too, and we're very happy with the one we got :-).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Best of luck, Leila!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Leila, hoping for a smooth 24 hours and healthy baby and Mom!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Good luck Leila!  Hoping you get the birth experience you wanted!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Good luck, Leila!! Looking forward to hearing about your LO!

liz, in addition to gas pains, I've had intermittant sharp crampy feelings in my sides since early pregnancy. Apparently these are round ligament cramps, from the uterus stretching, and happen when you make a sudden move. They took me by surprise at first, but then I found out that they're normal.

Summer, I'd echo what RFBF said about FB...I did the same thing and disabled my wall. DH and I were very conservative about telling people - outside of our immediate families and a couple very close friends, we didn't tell people 'til after 13 weeks (the official start of the 2nd trimester). But I was nervous about it getting out to coworkers before I'd told them, so I disabled the wall, and it worked like a charm. I'm not a big FB-er to begin with, so I doubt anyone really noticed, but in any case, nothing's leaked to the virtual world yet. We also asked extended family to please keep it off FB, and they've complied.

As to telling people early...well, like I said, we were conservative. I know too many people who've dealt with losses, even up to 12 weeks, to feel comfortable sharing before we were out of the "danger zone." In fact, at 19 weeks, we STILL haven't told some friends because we prefer to tell in person if possible. We're going to have to start telling over the phone, though...I'm going to be ready to pop before we get to some of these far-flung friends!

Wow, Jenn, you're getting so close! I hope you're able to put your feet up (literally) and take it easy over the next few weeks. Sorry to hear about the swelling...I keep reading and hearing that the last month of pregnancy is nature's way of helping the mom to look forward to delivery :)

Arcain, I'm sure you're right, and the daycare with the better hours/cost/nice provider and comfortable facilities will probably turn out to be the best fit over the long run. DH and I have our first daycare visit tomorrow, at a place that's literally around the corner. I have a feeling we'll like the more expensive and further-away one better...but when it comes to day-to-day life and convenience, the nearby one probably can't be beat. Now, getting a slot when we need one is another story...

Ugh, boston, I hear you on the prune juice. I bought a huge bottle of the stuff weeks ago, and had to literally hold my nose in order to choke it down...so nasty. To the first-trimester ladies - boston's right; staying regular is probably key to helping with those gas pains. Apparently the surge of progesterone your body is producing is what slows down the digestive tract and causes constipation (and I went off coffee cold turkey and was taking progesterone supplements the first 12 weeks, which was triple the fun) - but I've found that in the second trimester, when the placenta takes over and you stop cranking out so much progesterone, things have resolved themselves for the most part.

AFM, I'm feeling the LO more and more, which is awesome. And we found out that we're having a boy!!! Very excited!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Leila - Good Luck today! Hopefully you have your baby before 24 hrs is up!

As for telling this is my second time around.  I was planning on telling my boss this week (we want to tell family at Thanksgiving and I am 10wks) but I ended up telling him about 2 weeks ago but asked him to keep it a secret.  He did and I have since told my immediate coworkers but asked them to keep it a secret till a certain date.  I did not want to risk the facebook effect after telling family as that would be very bad in my world for them to find out that way.  By keeping it among a group of 3 people if god forbid something was to happen is an easier group to manage.  Other than that we told immediate family around week 6 this time.  Last time we held out till week 10 and I could not do it again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Good luck Leila!

Congrats on your little boy, Tang! And feeling him move. 

For those who had early u/s - what can I expect to see at 8 weeks?  I mean, its tiny, so will I just see a little blob?  Will the heartbeat show?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not sure what you'll see, but you'll hear the heartbeat, Nov - YAY!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: November Pregnancy:
    For those who had early u/s - what can I expect to see at 8 weeks?  I mean, its tiny, so will I just see a little blob?  Will the heartbeat show?
    Posted by Novembride

Nov, we had an ultrasound at 7w 5d and we saw the heartbeat.  We had one at 5w 5d too and were able to see it then so chances are good that you'll see the heartbeat.  We didn't hear the heartbeat until week 10 when they used the doplar.  There wasn't any sound on the ultrasound machine that was used.  By the way they had to ask me to hold my breath to really see the heartbeat because my breathing was making it hard for them to track the heartbeat.  Not sure if that's common but might be something you want to try if they are having any trouble tracking the heartbeat.

As for what you'll see, we basically saw a blob but with the techs help were able to distinguish the head from the bottom and the little paddles that the baby had for arms and legs.  It doesn't really look like a baby but it's pretty amazing none the less.  Good luck!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

To echo clc, you'll see the flicker of the heartbeat, and the tech should be able to tell you the heartrate. You probably won't be able to hear the heartbeat until at least 10 weeks, if not later...I had an appointment one day shy of 10 weeks, and the doctor told me we could try with the doppler, but not to freak out if she couldn't find it because sometimes it takes a few more weeks to hear the HB. We did hear it, though, which was wonderful.

Anyhoo, the baby looks like a cute little jellybean at 8 weeks...be sure to ask the tech for extra photo prinouts, for the ole' scrapbook plus eager grandparents! We actually used our u/s printouts to break the news to our parents, which was pretty fun :).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Leila - Good Luck!

Tang - very exciting news about your baby boy!

I was wondering about see/hearing the heart beat for an early u/s.  I am having one next week and will be 6 weeks then.  I wasnt sure if that was too early to hear it or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hey pugs - we had an u/s at just over 6 weeks, too, and we were able to see the heartbeat then :) Good luck - very exciting!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I'm so excited to see something!  I almost have my head around that fact that there is something living inside of me, but to actually see it is just going to be a whole new level of reality I think. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: November Pregnancy:
    Good luck Leila! Congrats on your little boy, Tang! And feeling him move.  For those who had early u/s - what can I expect to see at 8 weeks?  I mean, its tiny, so will I just see a little blob?  Will the heartbeat show?
    Posted by Novembride

We had an u/s at 8w1d. We saw a little jelly bean shaped blob, with just barely visible arm and leg buds. We could also see the cord, and the heartbeat. We did not hear the HB though. I'm hoping for that at our 12w appt in 2 weeks.

Good luck! If you get print outs, Kohl's has cute frames :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

bostongrl - I started getting the pubic bone pain at about 36 weeks and it didn't go away.  I got used to it after a while but it can be pretty uncomfortable.

Still at the hospital waiting.  Nothing is happening...I get checked again in a few hours to see if I have dialated any and if not I get a second round of cervical ripening drugs before they give me pitocin.  It's just getting really boring being stuck in a hospital room.  Anyway, we'll see what happens over the next few hours.  Stubborn baby.  I must have a really comfortable uterus.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Leila, thanks for checking in, but sorry to hear you're pretty much just waiting around.  It's nice you have internet access - not long ago you'd have been stuck with hospital magazines from 5 years ago, lol.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Long of the short: I had open heart surgery when I was a baby (have had zero problems since the surgery), so I am considered "high risk", even though I am expected to have a completely healthy and normal pregnancy.

Anyway I saw my cardiologist today who referred me to an OB at BWH who specializes in high risk. I don't have an appointment yet with the OB, but my cardiologist took blood just to confirm my pregnancy. When she called this afternoon with the results, she said that the hGC levels were detected, but they couldn't determine a due date which they couldn't understand why because my last period was October 12th.

Anyway, is it possible to be so early (I'm thinking I am more along the lines of 3-4 weeks) that it is hard to figure out the due date?

Congratulations to EVERYONE who has reached their 10-11-12 weeks! It must be so exciting!

Tangerine, did you say somewhere that you're having a baby boy?!?!

Leila, GOOD luck tonight/tomorrow. I bet you are jumping with anticipation to meet you little one :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Good luck Leila, hope things start moving along for you!

I agree with others who said the 8 week u/s is mostly a little bean but it's really cool to see the heartbeat (a little flicker really). It definitely makes it real Novembride! I had another u/s at 11.5 weeks and the difference was amazing- looked much more like a baby than a bean by that point.

Am I nuts or does anyone else talk to their baby? the kicks/shifts are pretty intense (I'm 31 wks) and every so often I'll say something like "hi baby, I know you're there" or "hey, what's going on in there?" So far, he/she hasn't replied...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

oh, and yay Lil on the great ERA- I'm so happy for you!

Sections
Shortcuts