November Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: November Pregnancy

In Response to Re: November Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Long of the short: I had open heart surgery when I was a baby (have had zero problems since the surgery), so I am considered "high risk", even though I am expected to have a completely healthy and normal pregnancy. Anyway I saw my cardiologist today who referred me to an OB at BWH who specializes in high risk. I don't have an appointment yet with the OB, but my cardiologist took blood just to confirm my pregnancy. When she called this afternoon with the results, she said that the hGC levels were detected, but they couldn't determine a due date which they couldn't understand why because my last period was October 12th. Anyway, is it possible to be so early (I'm thinking I am more along the lines of 3-4 weeks) that it is hard to figure out the due date? Congratulations to EVERYONE who has reached their 10-11-12 weeks! It must be so exciting! Tangerine, did you say somewhere that you're having a baby boy?!?! Leila, GOOD luck tonight/tomorrow. I bet you are jumping with anticipation to meet you little one :)
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]
    Good luck!  I was born with a congenital heart defect as well.  I had 2 open-heart surgeries when I was little.  I had my first child at BWH, refferred there by my cardiologist.  Maybe we have the same doctor!  If your ob at BW is Dr. Economy, then she's great.  She was very supportive, even when my cardiologist was pushing for me to have more intervention than I wanted with the pregnancy.  She stayed on my side and supported my decision to do a drug-free vaginal birth. 
    Good luck! 
    PS - I was pulmonary valve atresia and an atrial septal defect. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Lissa, I had transposition of the great arteries when I was 4 months old. My OB is Dr. Economy. So glad to hear you liked her! I am anxiously awaiting my first visit. Glad to know everything with your heart is healthy now :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Lissa, I had transposition of the great arteries when I was 4 months old. My OB is Dr. Economy. So glad to hear you liked her! I am anxiously awaiting my first visit. Glad to know everything with your heart is healthy now :)
    Is your cardiologist Dr. Mullen through the adult congenital program at Children's/Brigham's?  She's mine.  I know they work as a team closely together.  If you go online you can read the abstracts of multiple papers they've each written on adults with congenital heart defects gestating/giving birth.  It's weird to see yourself as data, but very interesting, haha.
    PS - the nurse practitioner in Dr. Economy's office, Barbara, is wonderful as well, very laid-back and reassuring.  If you're willing to have some appointments with her instead of Dr. Economy you get a lot more flexibility in scheduling.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE] Am I nuts or does anyone else talk to their baby? the kicks/shifts are pretty intense (I'm 31 wks) and every so often I'll say something like "hi baby, I know you're there" or "hey, what's going on in there?" So far, he/she hasn't replied...
    Posted by tc95[/QUOTE]
    Multiple studies have confirmed that newborns turn their heads and demonstrate recognition of voices they were exposed to in the womb (mother, father, siblings) more than any other voices.  Keep talking (though just talking in general is enough, you don't have to talk to him/her directly unless you want to)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Liss, my cardiologist is Dr. Anne Marie Valente. She is great. Thanks for the tips :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Hey Liz - I am by no means an expert, but I didn't think docs necessarily used HCG levels to determine due date. I know that levels can vary drastically from woman to woman, and my understanding is that while the level on any given day might be very different from that of another woman at the same day of pregnancy, what they're looking for is a doubling of HCG numbers every 48 hours or so. I thought they used ultrasounds for dating of the pregnancy, though I could be wrong (we did fertility treatment and knew exactly when I ovulated, so there was never a question with me, but I know some women get an estimated due date based on their last period which then shifts a bit later on after their first ultrasound). Hope that helps...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Tangerine, it does. Other women I have been talking to, have basically said the same exact thing as you. It is SO hard waiting for that first ultrasound!

Lissafro: what was your first appointment with Economy's office like. When did they do an ultrasound for you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

TC - I totally talk to my LO, usually when he's kicking. I'm also getting what I figure is some early practice at redirecting bad behavior. When he's kicking straight down (soooo uncomfortable!) I try gently poking higher on my belly to get his attention. I'm sure it's just coincidence, but the last couple times I've done this he's shifted his assaults to more comfortable targets :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Liss...I talked to Dr. Economy today on the phone. She is SO nice! I was also very impressed with BWH's facilities.

I have an appointment with Barbara on December 2nd :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I found this Pregnancy and Baby article, What Does Baby Really Hear In Utero, so interesting.  Here's an excerpt:

Your baby’s ears begin to form around eight weeks and become structurally complete at about 24 weeks. Thanks to the magic of ultrasound and other high-tech tools, researchers have discovered that your baby is living in an auditory playground, responding to voices and other sounds they hear outside of the womb. Studies have found that a fetus can hear sounds, though muffled, at as early as 20 weeks and by the third trimester their hearing is intact.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar, so interesting!! My DH and I are making a conscious decision to stop cursing. I guess it will be for good :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Hello all!  I finally have my big, beautiful baby boy.  After 30 hours of my body not responding to the induction, I ended up having a c section.  He was born early this afternoon and is a whopping 9.5lbs.  No wonder he wasn't budging.

I wanted a natural childbirth and ended up with a cesarean, but the first thing I learned from reading these boards is have a plan, but be open to it changing.  The surgery was not easy and I ended up throwing up during it and feeling some pain, but it is all over and I have a healthy boy who took to breastfeeding immediately and eats like a champ.  And the surgeon said that the surgery went well and the incision is such that I should be able to have VBACs in the future. 

So glad I had these boards to vent on and guide me through my first pregnancy.  I wish you all wonderful pregnancies and healthy births!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Tangerine, it does. Other women I have been talking to, have basically said the same exact thing as you. It is SO hard waiting for that first ultrasound! Lissafro: what was your first appointment with Economy's office like. When did they do an ultrasound for you?
    For me they did an u/s at every checkup and then at the end I had to have a non-stress test (lie there with the fetal heart monitor strapped to your belly for 1/3 hour while they count movements) ever 2 weeks.  It sounds like fun now as you long for your first glimpse of the little jelly bean but it gets to be a real pita by the end.  It makes the checkups a lot longer and makes it harder to just take part of a day to go to the doctor's. Abdominal ultrasounds are really much more fun than cardiac ultrasounds, though--much easier "windows" and less digging around and hard pushing. 

I actually got my first ultrasound today for this pregnancy!  Pretty fun.  heartbeat was 160/min.
    I'm at 9 weeks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Congrats on your baby boy, Leila!! Sorry your birth didn't go as you'd planned, but you totally have the right attitude about it. Thanks for sharing your story, too. I've been thinking a lot about trying to do natural birth but worrying about the what-ifs, and it's good to hear that all is good despite plans being changed. Enjoy your little guy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Congrats Leila!  Hope your recovery goes quickly and that your little guy keeps eating well!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Congrats, Leila! Enjoy your new little man!! Even though you didn't have the delivery experience you might have wished for, I hope your new baby exceeds every wonderful expectation you had!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats Itsallnew and Leila on your new LOs!!!  So exciting!

Regarding telling...we told my parents and DH's parents after we had an ultrasound around 6-7 weeks.  Then I told a few close friends after our first doctors appt. when we heard the hb.  It was around 10 weeks.  I just started telling everyone else this past week and I'm 15 weeks. 

Prior to my DS' arrival we had a few mc's so we always hesitate and wait to tell the news.   

So exciting all the new BFP's!!! 

We had our ERA and the results were good!  So fun to see the LO.  Everyone says how different it is the second time around and it is so true.  Between work and playing with DS among other things there is just no time to really focus on it.  The time has totally flown by so far.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Congrats Leila!

We saw the bean this AM.  So awesome!  Heart is pumping away at 157 bpm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, so interesting!! My DH and I are making a conscious decision to stop cursing. I guess it will be for good :)

Liz, don't worry, it says somewhere else in the article that they can't understand words in there!  :)

Leila, congrats!!

Nov, did you get any photos you can post?  So exciting you got to hear the heartbeat.  Seem more real now like you expected?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

They gave us a CD, so I won't know what the pictures look like until I get home.  We didn't hear just - just saw, but you couldn't miss it.  As soon as the picture was on the screen, I said "There's the heart!"  I guess the machine counts the beats?  DH had the cutest, goofiest smile on his face, so I think it became more real for him.  Now he wants to tell the world.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hibernian15. Show Hibernian15's posts

It was a few days ago, but thanks to whoever posted about your digestion slowing down in the first trimester. I found I needed to up my fiber content, but at least I know it's normal.
    Also, it helped me explain to DH why I am not already eating everything in sight, and in some cases eating less in one sitting than usual. I'm finding it easier to eat smaller meals or snacks throughout the day instead. That definitely eased his mind to know it's a common thing and not just me.

I think he's just looking for an excuse to stock the house with junk food!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hib, "eating for two" or "everything in sight" is a harmful myth, anyway.  Even if you were feeling better, chowing down because you're pregnant is a sure path to complications (maternal weight gain, high birth weight/C-section, gestational diabetes, preeclamsia, etc.).  So, when you're feeling better, I hope you won't start what amounts to overeating for two - word to the wise, talk to your doctor about how many extra calories per day you really need to have a healthy pregnancy for you and the baby.  Here's a guide from Baby Center:  Eating for Two

Nov, I guess seeing is believing!! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hi all. Congrats, Leila! Have fun enjoying your new lil one!

Everything is fine over here. Cramping has basically stopped, except for the occasional pull on the lower abdomen when I get up from bed, etc. I started reading What to Expect...., and I am convinced that the cramps I were feeling were implantation. According to the book, right after implantation you are 4 weeks along, and I am about 5-6 weeks right now.

Still trying not to get hopes up too high, but I am eating much healthier and I am on a pre-natal and plant based DHA.

How is everyone else?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I have noticed in the past couple of days my urine is bright yellow, but not dark, it looks clear like I am getting enough fluids, but the color is brighter than usual.

My friend said it happened to her and her doc said that sometimes the pre-natals can cause this. Anyone else notice this?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

Hey Liz,

I've been taking pre-natals for about 6 months now. They have definitely turned my urine neon yellow. It disturbed me when I first saw it. I notice that if I skip a day, the color goes right back to normal.

Sections
Shortcuts