November Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: November Pregnancy

Liz, don't worry (I know it's tough to avoid)!  I had pretty severe morning sickness and exhaustion with my first pregnancy and my second has been even worse.  With my first I certainly didn't get any symptoms until around 5.5/6 weeks.  Both my SIL had no nausea and very few food aversions with pregnancies (3 total between the two ladies).  Everyone's different.  You're pretty early yet to have any symptoms. 

Also, for your question about due dates.  The first day of my last period was 9/17 and my due date is 6/22.  I don't know if that helps your math.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and advice regarding sharing the news. I've decided not to tell work yet, but we will be telling our extended families (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) tomorrow at Thanksgiving. A special holiday is just too good a chance to pass up! Plus it will allow us to see as many people as we can in person.

At 10 weeks and a couple days, I can just barely see a teeny bump forming...it's different from my normal not-flat-anyways stomach (lol) and bloating...I broke down a bought a bella band last week and have worn it once or twice. I can wear my better fitting jeans but leave them unbuttoned and half unzipped, whereas I was wearing jeans that are a size too big but obviously too big and always falling down...

We got a letter from the dr's office regarding the date for our level II ultrasound- so far away in January! I'm also meeting with a genetic counselor as well, my history of a VSD since birth puts me in a high risk category...something that made me nervous at first but I'm hopeful everything will be OK.  But regardless we are still excited to be able to see him/her again, and find out what it is!

Hope everyone else is doing great and happy thanksgiving!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I'm at 10 weeks (well, 9.75) and we're announcing tomorrow!  We just told our 2.5yr old.  She took it in stride.  She'll probably announce tomorrow for us.  Two of my best friends just had their first babies this summer so she's pretty familiar with the 'baby in the belly, belly gets bigger and bigger, then baby comes out" process. 
    We told her she was going to be a big sister and in the summer she'd have a baby sister or a baby brother, we weren't sure which.  She yelled "BABY BROTHER!"  So I guess her money is on a boy. 

PS - As for showing, with my first I had a pretty flat stomach to begin with and didn't really show until 14 weeks and then had to switch to maternity clothes at 16 weeks.  This time around I've felt kind of big and bulgy for a while and I'm getting ready to switch to maternity clothes soon.  I'm looking forward to wearing my maternity jeans tomorrow.  Hello, elastic waistband! haha. 
    Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

We are all so lucky to have maternity jeans for thanksgiving!! Happy eating, girls!! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Happy thanksgiving!!

AFM I popped on Sunday! I have a nice little baby bump going now which is adorable and scary all at the same time. It seriously happened overnight - Saturday day and night you could not tell I was pregnant by Sunday evening full on belly!  I'm officially 12 weeks now but I thought it took a little longer for most people to start showing. Oh well, I'm officially in maternity clothes all the time and hoping to go get some more this weekend.  I wasn't quite ready for this to happen so soon but my regular pants just aren't going to cut it. 

And in some other exciting news my cousin announced that she's pregnant to the entire family through Skype last night (she's in Washington state and was unable to make it home). She's due two days after me and is also sporting a very adorable baby bump! Our family is rapidly multiplying which is so much fun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Hugh - good point on the maternity pants!  Definitely a bonus this time of year!

clc - congrats on showing!  While you might not feel this way all the time, I remember being happy when it was more obvious I was pregnant and not just pudgy around the middle.  In these weeks where you're still telling people, this time will be tough when you're showing enough for people to speculate, but not enough for it to be obvious.  It'll be a love/hate thing for sure!  lol.  Once it's out in the open, though, it's great!

AFM, I spent 5 hours at my appt and in triage on Wednesday night after spending 2 hours at the doctor's office on Tuesday.  On Tuesday, they were fitting me in with the on-call Nurse-Midwife to see about the itchiness thing, so understandably, I had a wait a while.  But they looked me over, said it was probably nothing, and drew blood just in case. 

Wednesday I had my regularly scheduled appt. with a different doctor than normal, since my OB was on vacation.  My blood pressure has been creeping up, and she wanted me to go get monitored for a while.  I guess the high blood pressure, coupled with the itchiness, raised some alarms, even though my liver function tests came back normal. 

So, up to L&D triage for more bloodwork, urinalysis, and blood pressure monitoring.  I also got strapped into the fetal heart monitor and contraction monitor.  Funny thing is, I didn't think I was having any Braxton-Hicks contractions, but apparently I was.  Pretty consistently too.  I just thought they were baby movements.  Now I know the difference (sometimes), which is nice to know. 

I went in at 4:15 and didn't leave the hospital until 9:30.  Ugh.  But, I got sent home with a clean bill of health (blood pressure went down a bit though it's still on the high side), a giant jug to collect my urine for 24 hours on Saturday, and another montoring appt for Sunday.  I know I could go at any time, but I wasn't ready for a Thanksgiving baby.  Here's hoping I hold on for a few more days. 

(I am probably going to be kicking myself for saying this when I am 2 weeks overdue - lol!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Jen- anytime you can avoid an induction I think is better! Your body will handle labor so much easier without pitocin involved!  Sounds like a long day in L+D... that stinks! Glad you got home for the holiday though. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

jen, I was VERY itchy the last month of my pregnancy. It wasn't just my palms, though those were bad.  It was all over, like a crack addict in a movie.  My OB told me it was a rare but normal side effect.  The pregnancy hormones spike in the morning and then if they crash in the afternoon you can get withdrawal symptoms from your own hormones.  This might not be related to your itching, but it might be.  It's easier to think it's that than to think it's liver failure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Thanks Lissa.  I had my f/u appointment today and everything checked out well.  They said there is no sign of preeclampsia and all my urine tests came back normal.  They said I just have slight gestational hypertension, which accounts for the high blood pressure. 

But, they did tell me I should probably stay home from work from here on out, and the on call doctor said that my OB will probably recommend that  I get induced at the end of next week, if labor hasnt already started.  At that point I will be 39 weeks, and they will be monitoring my bp closely. 

I'm not sure how I feel about that.  On the one hand, I am already considered full term, so its not like there will be any risk to the baby.  And it might be nice to actually plan for labor, and know when it's going to start.  On the other hand, while I wasn't planning a "natural" birth, I was planning on a natural beginning to labor, on the baby's timetable.  I know there are some strong opinions out there on use of pitocin or other drugs.  I just don't know if I have much say in the matter... Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Everything seems like good news so far Jen.  Glad all of your tests have come back normal.

As for them inducing birth, which clearly I haven't been there yet so take this with a grain of salt, I think that doctors have gone through years of school and training and have most likely delivered hundreds of babies so I would trust their judgment over my own. If the doctor thinks the safest thing for me and my baby is to induce labor then I would listen to them.  My advice would be if you're uncomfortable with this decision (1) ask for a detailed explanation from your doctor about why they would like to induce you early and the risks and benefits for both you and the baby and (2) if you're not satisfied with that answer get a second opinion. Best of luck!  Either way in the next couple weeks you'll get to meet your little one which will make it all worth it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Jen, I would second what Clc says. I, too, hope to avoid induction when my time comes. But, if I'd made my wishes clear to my OB and heard her out about why she wanted to induce, I think I would go with it. If you have a good relationship with your OB and s/he respects your wishes, hopefully a more in-depth conversation will make it an easier decision.

Clc and Summer, isn't it so funny that first time you "pop"? I always thought that was kind of a myth, coming more from people who don't see you every day. But in this pregnancy there have been several times when both DH and I were like "Whoa, didn't see that yesterday!" I started showing early and rather suddenly, and then I popped again probably around 20 weeks, going from "She looks like she could be pregnant" to basketball (or, in my case, long, wide, misshapen pumpkin) under the shirt.

AFM - DH and I had our babymoon in Provincetown this weekend. We had a great time and couldn't have dreamed of better weather. In the past we tended to be big nightlife people on vacation, so this was interesting practice for what our post-baby lives will be like. I think we were in bed by 11 both nights! The fireplace in our cozy room at the B&B helped :-).

I've started noticing more Braxton Hicks contractions in the last couple weeks, and I'm driving myself mad repeatedly looking up the difference between those and preterm labor. I usually only have a couple a day, if any, and they follow the pattern (or lack thereof) that BH are supposed to have. Last night was weird though, I had a BH after being on my feet for a few hours, and it almost felt like the contraction didn't let up. It was mild and painless, but my stomach just felt tighter for the rest of the evening. Not sure if this contributed, but LO has been super active. Last night I actually saw my whole belly move with one of his roundhouse kicks.

Anyone else experience this with BH?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Arcain, I am the same! I have BH ctx all the time now, and now that this is baby #2 I know they are totally normal.  Usually you'll get BH's when you are first standing up after sitting or when walking strenuously.  It feels like the entire front panel of your lower belly is tight and usually last a few seconds.  Every now and then I have to catch my breath because it is so strong, but it passes within a few seconds.  That happens maybe once a day, somedays none.  Usually I get a few light ones throughout the day (maybe 3-4?)  Real labor will be (usually) hard to miss.  The ctx is real labor usually carry through to your back and are rhythmic and get stronger.  Also, a huge thing to keep in mind if you are really worried is REAL LABOR WILL STOP IF YOU LAY DOWN AND HYDRATE.  Consider the BH a way to strengthen and tone up your uterus for the big baby-eviction day! :) :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Arcain,
    I didn't have many BH with my first so I'm not sure exactly what they feel like however I can tell you that there is no mistaking real labor.  As hughkona said, BH will abate if you drink a lot of water and lie down.  Also, even if you do actually go into real labor, it's not a huge deal if you think it's BH at first.  The contractions will get strong enough and regularly spaced and close together enough for you to recognize that you are in labor with plenty of time to get to the hospital. 
    With my first, contractions weren't that strong to begin with and were an hour apart so I wasn't sure if they were real.  They were pretty regular and increased in intensity and time apart overnight.  I didn't go to the hospital until 28 hours after my first contractions started, and even then I didn't give birth until 7.5 hours after arriving at the hospital.  We thought we were cutting it close because my contractions had been 3.5 minutes apart at home, then my water broke and they IMMEDIATELY got a LOT stronger and jumped to 2 minutes apart.  So we sped along (in rushhour traffic, of course haha) to the hospital, sure I was going to have the baby in the car.  Nope, plenty of time to spare.  We got to the hospital at 4:30 and I didn't have her until 11:52PM.  I will say I'm going to try to keep it a little less short-notice on my second.  From all my friends who have had 2, it sounds like the second birth is faster and with less warning.  Plus all those things you read about people giving birth in taxis, those are usually people who have more kids at home.  It's probably a combination of later labors being quicker and having to figure out where to put the other kids before you can leave for the hospital. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

PS - I love the idea of a baby eviction haha.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In Response to Re: November Pregnancy:
    Clc and Summer, isn't it so funny that first time you "pop"? I always thought that was kind of a myth, coming more from people who don't see you every day. But in this pregnancy there have been several times when both DH and I were like "Whoa, didn't see that yesterday!" I started showing early and rather suddenly, and then I popped again probably around 20 weeks, going from "She looks like she could be pregnant" to basketball (or, in my case, long, wide, misshapen pumpkin) under the shirt.

I was going to say the same thing! :o)  There was a point at which I thought I had popped (forget how far along), but then I got to 20 weeks and I was like whoa now I popped even more!  I looked at DH on a Monday morning and said, Whoa this is NOT what I looked like before the weekend.

Regarding BH, I didn't even realize I had been having BH until I was in labor, but for me they felt like a tightening of my upper torso.  When I was really in labor/contracting, it felt like menstrual cramps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Hi everyone.  Well, it's time.  I am going to MGH tonight for a scheduled induction.  It looks like I will probably have a November baby!  Or maybe an early morning December baby if labor goes long...  (Original due date was Dec 7th)

I am nervous and scared and excited, but know that I still have a long way to go.  They said I could expect Methoproxil (sp?) to soften my cervix, and that could take a while.  I look forward to posting my L&D story soon!  Wish me luck.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Best wishes Jenn!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Good Luck! Enjoy this amazing lifetime experience!! And rest when you can!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Good luck, Jenn! Hope labor isn't too long! And, as a mid-December baby myself, I think a November b-day is great. While I loved having mine near Xmas, sometimes it felt lost in the holiday shuffle :-).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck Jen!  Can't wait to hear your birth story.

I need some help picking out a body pillow.  Any recommendations?  I wasn't able to sleep last night with restless legs and my hands kept falling asleep.  I tossed and turned all night which was extremely frustrating.  I'm hoping a body pillow might help but there are a few options out there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Good luck, Jenn! Hope all goes well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Good luck Jenn!  I've had a few friends go the route of the cervical ripener (cervadil, I think?)  and all had success with it. 

clc... I never opted for the body pillow, just use a regular pillow between my legs and to prop up my belly (less of an issue now that I'm bigger since my belly comfortable rests on the matress now).  I know a few have sworn by the snoogle and maybe the mini-snoogle?  They have a few choices at babies r us if you wanted to go assess the size in person, otherwise amazon has a bigger selection. 

I will say that we tossed the dogs out of bed a few days ago and I've been sleeping soooo much better ever since.  It is amazing how disruptive 2 20lb dogs could be.  That, and I wanted them out of the bed prior to LO arriving so that they didn't associate that change with the arrival of a noisy, crying bundle.  The older dog, who has been sleeping in our bed for almost 5 years, was a little standoffish for a day or so like she was punishing us, but after 3 nights is perfectly happy.  I still feel guilty, but I know its for the best.

oh... and hello 3rd trimester heartburn!  Dinner is now regularly followed by a handful of tums.  breakfast and lunch aren't so bad because I stay vertical for a while afterwards, but even lounging on the couch after dinner has become an issue.  Last night, instead of waiting until it got bad, I just immediately followed dinner with some tums and that seemed to help.  I also made a huge pot of chili, but probably wont be able to finish it because it definitely exceeds my current tolerence of spicy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

By the way we had another ultrasound yesterday, it's amazing how the LO has changed from a bean at 7w 5d to a baby at 12w 5 d...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Clc...so amazing! You must be so happy/relieved/excited to see that he/her is growing so well!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I used the snoogle (the big one) - due to old neck injuries, I needed a pillow where I could prop up the belly and prop under or around my head, hips and legs as needed - and this cut down the amount of tingling I would get from my old injuries and cut back on the hip pain I would get at times. But it does take up a lot of room so if you have a small bed, then that may be an issue. My husband felt like at times he was getting squeezed out of bed with the pillow and my super large belly - that was when we only had a full size bed :)