November Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Re: November Pregnancy

I've been asked several times now if this was a planned pregnancy.  Is that a normal question to ask someone?  I've never considered asking someone that before.

I guess this is just the beginning of the weird questions that I will be getting throughout my pregnancy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Silver -- I must have posted at the same time as you. So sorry to hear that news, but hopefully you'll be back here soon!

Hughkona and Tang - I know, it's so great to be able to share with people at the same point in pg as me as well as earlier and later. It took me til now to feel like I had any wisdom to offer on the earlier stages, and when I read posts from you 30+ week ladies I realize how much more I have to go!

Tang - I felt those same kind of flutters around 16 weeks and they pretty much stayed that slight (so slight I often wondered if I was making them up :-)) until around week 20-21 when LO apparently learned to tapdance and kickbox.

Clc -- Wow, that is such a rude question, but I guess it's not surprising considering how many people think it's okay to ask if you're trying or when you're going to have kids. Still, I can't believe you've gotten it multiple times. I'd want to say something to embarass them like "No -- I never thought the condom would break!"

Speaking of annoying comments, DH's grandma recently made a comment pressuring us about when we're going to have ANOTHER one. She's getting older and I think wants to be around to meet all her great grandkids, but to ask that NOW -- really? Um, pretty sure that's physically impossible to do at the moment, so we'll have to get back to you...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: November Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: November Pregnancy : My mom suggested "No, but I'm pretty sure it's DH's. Fingers Crossed!" Each time I just smiled and said that "yes it was."  I don't know what other answer they were looking for.
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

LOL!  I love your mom!

I think some people just truly don't understand what constitutes a rude question to a pregnant couple. Or to parents, in general.  My DD just turned 1 and a coworker (I hardly know) asked if I was still breastfeeding.  It was the "still" that bothered me, since she has no idea if I ever breastfed.  I did for a while, but if I hadn't that could easily have been an offensive assumption. As it was, I didn't want to answer because it is PERSONAL.  Why oh why do coworkers not understand I do not want to discuss my BREASTS with them?

(sorry, mini rant :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

[QUOTE]Clc -- Wow, that is such a rude question, but I guess it's not surprising considering how many people think it's okay to ask if you're trying or when you're going to have kids. Still, I can't believe you've gotten it multiple times. I'd want to say something to embarass them like "No -- I never thought the condom would break!" Posted by Arcain[/QUOTE]

My mom suggested "No, but I'm pretty sure it's DH's. Fingers Crossed!" Each time I just smiled and said that "yes it was."  I don't know what other answer they were looking for.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I finally had my first OB appt today- though it was with a NP. She said everything looks good, and sent me for the routine blood work, etc. However, I don't really have many symptoms, which is making me super worried and concerned...she didn't seem that concerned, so either she's good at pretending things are fine, or there really isn't a concern.

Either way, I got in for a U/S this Sunday at noon for dating and viability, so please keep us in your thoughts that everything looks good!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

[QUOTE] Why oh why do coworkers not understand I do not want to discuss my BREASTS with them? Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Poppy, lol!

I'm sure I'll experience worse as the pregnancy progresses.  At least no one has attempted to touch me yet.  I'm very into my personal space and besides family members and close friends I'm against hugging or unnecessary touching.  I don't know how I'll handle someone reaching out for my belly.  I'll probably freak out, now that should be entertaining.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

CLC - I like to guard my privacy and I relish the chance to embarrass people into not asking stupid rude questions in the future -- I feel like it's a public service and I'm protecting potential "victims" who might not be able to stand up for themselves the way I would.  example: when strangers touched my belly, I would rub their bellies back/pinch and inch.

It's incredibly crude, but you could always go for the "shock and awe" technique.  Something like "well, when your husband's pen1s is as big as mine's, it's hard to brush your teeth at the same sink without a few accidents"  or "yes, I don't know how we're going to break it to my husband"
    YOu could also go for the "what?  I"m pregnant?  I can't be with prom so close!" route.
    Or just plain weird "oh, the application process was very rigorous. My alien overlords required a perfect womb preparation for their future minions"
    Or sacriligeous: "you should ask the archangel Gabriel, he was the one who let me know I was pregnant"

But these things only work if you enjoy making rude people uncomfortable and can pull off the lines without batting an eyelash.Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Update: we went for our u/s today and were told everything looked good! The tech explained to us what we were seeing, since neither of us knew what we were looking at! We saw our little blob, with its heart beating away at 169 bpm :) We have some printouts that I'd like to find a frame for...seeing it on the screen made it more real, but I still find myself in a state of disbelief! Still so excited though, and we told DH's sisters and my grandparents today.

Our next OB appt happens to be on my birthday, so we're just hangin' in there til then, when hopefully we can hear the HB!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lissafro, I LOVE the first one the best - "accidents at the sink."  LOL!

summerbride, that's so exciting!  Congrats on the healthy report and fab pics.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

OK, what is a chemical pregnancy?? I am so new to this, can you tell?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]OK, what is a chemical pregnancy?? I am so new to this, can you tell?
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

A chemical pregnancy is one that is so short before m/c that you can only "catch" it for a day or 2 on a home pregnancy test.  It's barely implanted before catastrophic dna combination problems cause it to be expelled in what looks and feels very much like your period.  Since it happens around the time you expect your period, anyway, if you're not testing for pregnancy every day you'll miss it.  Hence "chemical" - you have just enough hCG for long enough to be caught in a very short window of time between implantation and m/c.

ETA:  Having gone through it myself, it's one reason I advise people to wait to do a pregnancy test until after your period is at least a week late so you don't get the false hope and excitement that comes with knowing you're pregnant "too early" and losing it immediately.  I'd rather just think I didn't get pg if it happens, again, rather than test super early, get a BFP, and then a big letdown a day to a week later.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thank you, Kar. Silver, I am sorry for that loss, but you have an amazing attitude :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this article, which I saw posted in one of the other forums: http://news.discovery.com/human/alcohol-drinking-pregnant-women.html?ewrd=1.

I was what many would consider overcautious and stopped drinking at the beginning of the 2 week wait that led into this pregnancy. I have abstained and will continue to abstain from drinking throughout the pregnancy (though I will sneak the teensiest of sips when DH has a really good beer :-)).

I was a moderate drinker before getting pg and it hasn't bugged me as much as I thought it would to give it up. But reading the article just has me thinking about the stress issue. Work has been awful lately, and I can't help but note the days when I would have gone home and had a beer with dinner to help me de-stress. My current method of eating a good dinner and zoning out while binging on episodes of How I Met Your Mother helps but isn't quite the same :-). I'm definitely more stressed than I ever wanted to be during pregnancy, and it has me weighing the benefits of teetotaling vs. being a little less tense after a particularly icky workday.

Ultimately I think I'm too paranoid (I haven't taken so much as a Tylenol in 23 weeks) to change my tune on light drinking, but the ladies on this board have such good/interesting perspectives I was curious what you all thought.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Congrats Summerbride!  Doesn't the first ultrasound make it so much more real! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats, Summerbride!

Arcain, that was an interesting article.  Prior to becoming pg I was a light drinker - maybe 3 drinks a week - (with the occasional nights of moderate to heavy drinking - hello girls night!).  I've never considered drinking a method of de-stressing so for me there is no added benefit. Personally I haven't had the desire to drink since becoming pg so I don't think that I will be changing my habits since reading that article but if that changes for me I wouldn't feel as guilty as I might have if I have a drink or two while pregnant.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Arcain, that article is very interesting.  I had heard that light drinking is okay, but have still abstained (except for those teensy sips of hubby's beers and a taste of a friend's "chocolate wine" - how could I not???)

Those sips were literally only enough to get the taste on the tip of my tongue, so I wouldn't even call them taking a drink.  We are big seasonal beer drinkers and DH has tried lots of new microbrews, and every once in a while he'll have one that he thinks I would love, and I take a little taste. 

I have friends who had a half a glass of wine once a week or so after the 2nd trimester.  Their kids are absolutely normal.  I think the key is to avoid it in the first trimester, when most of the brain development occurs, and then to be really aware of when and how much you consume.  My concern with articles like this is that people who aren't responsible or who don't read through the whole thing will see it as a green light to drink all the time.  I am a little concerned with their definition and recommendation on "moderate" drinking.  But I think "light" drinking later in pregnancy is okay. 

If you think you would de-stress better after a rough day with a beer, I say you can do it as long as it's not more than one and not every day.  But that's my non-medical opinion...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

On a totally unrelated note, maternity jeans are the most amazing thing ever.  I don't actually need them yet, just over 9 weeks and besides the occasional bloating my regular pants fit fine, but they were on sale this weekend for $19.99 at Motherhood Maternity so I decided to get a pair.  I went with the underbelly kind rather than the full panel but they are still awesome. I have a few more weeks but I can't wait to break out those puppies!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Summerbride, congrats on the good news and ultrasound! Very exciting. I just wanted to try to reassure you a bit about not having any symptoms, although it sounds like your appointment has eased your mind :) I barely had any either, and it freaked me out for quite awhile. No nausea, morning sickness, only the very mildest food/smell aversions, no strong cravings, etc. A little fatigue and waking once each night to pee were really my only complaints. Now I'm nearly 18 weeks, and feel the same - but now I have a bump and some movement to ease my mind. Just wanted you to know you're not the only one worrying about a lack of symptoms - and to try and consider yourself lucky! :) Have fun sharing the great news.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Tomorrow afternoon I've got my glucose test and an u/s to check up on my low lying placenta. Fingers crossed on both counts! Seems like I've been on pelvic rest forever. I'm excited to get another look at the LO, but I hope there isn't a need for any more u/s after this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

[QUOTE]Summerbride, congrats on the good news and ultrasound! Very exciting. I just wanted to try to reassure you a bit about not having any symptoms, although it sounds like your appointment has eased your mind :) I barely had any either, and it freaked me out for quite awhile. No nausea, morning sickness, only the very mildest food/smell aversions, no strong cravings, etc. A little fatigue and waking once each night to pee were really my only complaints. Now I'm nearly 18 weeks, and feel the same - but now I have a bump and some movement to ease my mind. Just wanted you to know you're not the only one worrying about a lack of symptoms - and to try and consider yourself lucky! :) Have fun sharing the great news.
    Posted by Tangerine5[/QUOTE]
    Thank you so much for the reassuring words! It helps to hear from someone in a similar situation. Even after seeing it yesterday, I still find myself worrying, or wondering what it's doing in there...which I know isn't much haha. I suppose the best thing I can do for myself and baby is to take everything one day at a time!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]Tomorrow afternoon I've got my glucose test and an u/s to check up on my low lying placenta. Fingers crossed on both counts! Seems like I've been on pelvic rest forever. I'm excited to get another look at the LO, but I hope there isn't a need for any more u/s after this.
    Posted by pittftw[/QUOTE]
     Good luck!  Hopefully you pass the glucose test easily and don't have to worry about going back for the long one just because of a few points.  Try not to freak out if your numbers are not ideal.  There have been a lot of threads about GD recently to refer to and it seems like most things turn out fine in the end. 
    I hope the whole "pelvic rest" orders get lifted for you!  Pregnancy is more fun when you can take full advantage of all those mornings and weekends without a baby to take care of!Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Thanks, Lissa. I'm gaming the numbers for the glucose test - I ate plain oatmeal for breakfast (blech!) and skipped my normal OJ to keep my blood sugar from going up and down, so hopefully that works in my favor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Good luck Pitt!  The one hour test really wasn't that bad.  The nurse gave me the drink as soon as I got into the exam room, and by the time my appt was over I only had ~20 minutes to kill before I headed down to the lab to have my blood drawn.  I was worried a little because I had a 4pm appt and couldnt really avoid eating before (though I was careful not to eat/drink anything excessively sugary), but I passed with flying colors.  Have fun seein the LO on the u/s, and fingers crossed that your placenta has moved to a better place.  There have been a few other posters that have had similar scares, and if I remember right everyone's gotten the thumbs up on the follow up appt.

AFM ... feeling HUGE this week.  Though strangely I haven't gained any weight.  But that is A-OK with me... if the baby wants to repurpose excess material elsewhere on my body I am totally ok with that.  My abs have definitely started to separate... I can see about 1.5" in the center of my belly that sinks in a tad if I try to tense my abs.  I've been expecting that and sort of surprised it didn't occur until 31 weeks, but it is making getting out of the couch at night a lot more challenging.  Im finding that I need to use my upper body to push myself up or DH to pull me up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Good luck Pitt!  Hopefully your placenta has moved and your pelvic rest is lifted.

It's a little late to be sharing this but today is the last day of Old Navy's Friends and Family event.  If you use the code ONFRIENDS at checkout you receive 30% off your entire order.  I just ordered two pairs of maternity work pants and a sweater all for under $40.

AFM, today's the first day in the Bella Band.  I'm not sure I'm a fan.  I have it folded over but I still need to keep adjusting it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Summerbride, it's so true...whenever I caught myself stressing out about it, I'd remind myself "be calm for the baby!" It sort of helped....everyone kept telling me to just enjoy my easy pregnancy, but it's hard advice to take! How far along are you?

Good luck today, Pitt! At what point during pregnancy does the glucose test happen?

Boston, is the ab separation uncomfortable? I didn't know that was bound to happen (obviously I have NOT been reading ahead in What to Expect, and probably should ;). I've been trying to do some planks for core strengthening, when I remember, anyway - but I'm guessing that once you feel them separate, ab exercises are out? How are you feeling otherwise?

clc, aren't maternity clothes fun? :) I just got a big order of stuff from Old Navy and Gap last week, thinking I'd return a lot of it, but I actually like most of it! I'm with you - I'm not a big fan of the bella band. It's sort of useful, sometimes, but I find it slipping (or my pants falling down) enough to make it pretty annoying. Oh, and yes, maternity jeans are awesome! I've finally reached the point where I sort of need them, and they're so comfortable. I'm loving all the full-panel stuff. Although I'm grateful to be pregnant in the fall/winter, as I'd imagine it'd be pretty hot and sweaty with a lycra band plastered from waist to b00bs all summer.