November Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: November Pregnancy

Thank you ALL for the reassurance. I feel so weird right now. Like, I went to the library on my lunch break and there were about 5 moms and babies in the lobby and I was just like....am I really going to have one of them in 9 months?!?!

It is such a strange feeling to be so excited yet nervous at the same time, and airing on the side of caution.

I so badly want to get my hopes up, but I know for me, the next few weeks will be nerve-racking!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Anyone listening to Radio Boston on WBUR right now? They're talking about area hospitals cracking down on early elective deliveries. http://www.wbur.org/2011/11/14/early-elective-deliveries

Liz - Congrats! I had lots of fairly mild unexplained abdominal pain early on and it was nothing. I ended up asking my doc and they gave me an u/s just to check, which was reassuring if not totally necessary. But rest assured, it's normal. Those early weeks are so hard. FWIW, I tried so hard not to be too positive until about 12 weeks just because I was nervous about what could happen. Ultimately, I don't think it really  helped -- it stressed me out and if anything had happened, I would have been devastated regardless of whether I'd gotten my hopes up. If you are nervous, it's worth being conservative with telling people early on, but you should let yourself be excited at least :-).

Fram -- Glad I'm not the only one dealing with this, but it is frustrating. I agree I wouldn't want to hold a spot for that long, but it's hard dealing with small operations that have openings so rarely. It really seems like luck of the draw! I guess that's what we get for sticking with home dcs. We really liked the first person we met, and we have one more appt this week just to do due diligence, but I think we'll probably go with #1.

I'm experiencing a new posting wackiness -- I think some just aren't showing up. A couple of you referenced recent posts that I don't see at all. Anyone else having this happen?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: November Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]clc, how exciting that you heard the heartbeat today! Such an amazing sound. I can't believe you're already at 10 weeks! Feels like we just got your bfp news :) Have you told anyone yet?
    Posted by Tangerine5[/QUOTE]

Oh man we've told everyone! DH and I are AWFUL at keeping secrets.  I swear the information was killing us.  I even told work last week and so far they've been great.  They said they were all waiting on it anyway and gave me the option of considering working from home every now and then once the baby's born.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

It is SO hard not telling people!! I have and will only tell my mom and my three closest friends. But other than that we are keeping it on the DL until at least 10 weeks, hopefully 12.

clc, everyone is different, though. My best friend (who is having a baby in June; I am due in July!) told many people. To each their own.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I heard on 96.9 this morning that the average woman can keep a secret they've promised not to tell for 30 minutes or less.  Careful with your secrets!!  

I had a friend (man) who told me that when he promised not to tell something he meant with the "obvious exceptions" of his closest circle of say, 5 people (spouse and 4 close friends).  He thought everyone thinks that way.  I thought he was nuts, but I guess I was the wrong one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Pugslove ... a gallon of water a day?  That seems pretty excessive in my non-medical view.  The guideline I've heard is 1/2 and oz per pound of your body weight ... that translates to a bit more than a 1/2 gallon per day for most people.  also... liquid is liquid ... meaning if you drink milk or juice (or even watermelon) ... it all adds up.  The point is to get fluids through you to clear your kidneys of waste.  If I were drinking a gallon a day, I don't think I'd ever leave the bathroom.  Don't get me wrong, stay hydrated, but don't torture yourself. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Does 5 servings of dairy a day sound a little high too?  I'm probably getting that at the moment but that's because I've had a dairy craving for the past several days but 5 servings a day sounds like a lot!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pugslove. Show pugslove's posts

Boston...My doctor said a gallon of liquids at day.  I agree with you I am already going to the bathroom A LOT.  Do you think that if my urine is clear that I should be ok? I am going to do the best that I can!  Thanks for the reassurance...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

I'm also not a doctor, but a gallon does sound pretty excessive to me. I'd say if your urine is clear, you shouldn't worry about it too much. And yeah, 5 servings of dairy does sound a bit high to me...my doctor told me to get 4, though, which isn't too different.

I'm currently beating myself up because I ate some prosciutto in a salad over the weekend. I don't know why I thought prosciutto was different from other cold cuts, which I've been avoiding altogether...but I did a google search to check it out this morning and was greeted with all sorts of dire warnings about the health of my baby. Anyone who feels like talking me off the ledge, your words of wisdom would be much appreciated... :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Tangerine, this is my honest opinion:

Eating prosciutto once is fine. Think about our parents, THEIR parents probably either smoked or drank alcohol (maybe both), ate soft cheeses, meats, etc when they were pregnant. And everyone turned out fine. Granted, YES our medical world has changed dramatically over the years, but still, women have been giving birth for thousands of years!

I had a nice big juicy swordfish AND two glasses of red wine the day before I got my BFP. Although, I am no that far along so that really wouldn't have any effect.

My sis-in-law ate lunch meat during her pregnancy, she just microwaved it for about 20-30 seconds beforehand. Three of my friends have babies, and I know two more that are pregnant (passed 2nd trimester) and ALL of them had a glass of wine every now and then. One of them had a glass once a week once she hit her third trimester.

Not everyone will agree with what I am saying, but I think you AND your baby are perfectly healthy :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks, liz. In theory I agree with you 100%, and I wouldn't be worried except for some of the scary-a$$ stuff you read about listeria (you may never get symptoms, but your baby can be born with brain damage...your baby might appear fine at birth but then die...etc etc). Totally alarmist, I know, but sort of terrifying at the same time. I'm sure I'll forget about it, but boy, googling stuff like this is dangerous to an expectant mom's mental health!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Of course it is terrifying!!! ANYTHING you read on the internet is terrifying!!

I have just decided not to do any googling. I don't need to read about everything that could go wrong. In fact, one thing I did read online was to relax and enjoy your first tri-mester, otherwise you will drive yourself crazy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Tang - I ate cold cuts during my first pregnancy and know many who do.  But I did the same thing - I got my flu shot from work then started panicking thinking I should have fought harder at my doc's for the Thermisol free version. All I can say is get off the google search - it is very bad for your (and any pregnant woman's) mental health. ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

wrkingmom, so the flu shot is fine?! I got one in September!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

THe flu shot is encouraged.  Statistically, the people who die from flu are little kids, old people, and pregnant women.  We produce more fluid and our tissues get inflamed more easily (those with allergies might have noticed already) so if we get the flu we're more likely to end up in the hospital, drowning in our own phlegm.

Plus, the antibodies carry over to protect your baby once it's born until it's about 6 months old. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc4321. Show jc4321's posts

Tang - I had a meal yesterday at a Japanese restaurant that included sprouts and I feel the same way! I am hoping that b/c they were cooked in a stir-fry that everything is ok! I didn't even think to ask, and my dining companion doesn't know I'm pg, so I didn't say anything. Just tried to eat around them, which was hard.

My MIL is a labor and delivery nurse and told me when we broke the news to stay off of the internet! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

I'll admit I've indulged in the occaisonal turkey sandwich ... usually in a panini that has been heated (though probably not as hot as we're told) ... and I loved every bite of them.  Overall, I've been trying to eat a healthy diet .. as I have no better motivation than the health of my baby.  However, there have been saturdays that I've subsisted on cereal, chocolate, and pita chips .... yeah... not my best days. 

As for the water intake, as long as your urine is "straw yellow" it is fine, so if it is clear you are doing even better than you need to.  For dairy, I usually get 3-4 servings ... mostly due to my addiction to chocolate soy milk.  If I have oatmeal for breakfast rather than cereal with milk, I make sure to add a yogurt in as a snack. 

My belly is rockin and rolling today :o) ... might have something to do with the fact that I indulged in a latte this morning. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I'm sitting a work with my pants unbuttoned... it's official, I need maternity clothes.  Guess I need to get used to that Bella Band.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pugs, a gallon a day?  That sounds like too much to me, but I'm no OBGYN. 

If you do decide to drink that much per day, be mindful to spread it out.  Do not drink that much at once (if you even can) to make up for a day where you've not had much water.  Water toxicity can occur if you overdo it in a short time.  From wikipedia on water toxicity, don't drink more than 1 liter per hour.  

Water intoxication can be prevented if a person's intake of water does not grossly exceed his or her losses.[12] Healthy kidneys are able to excrete approximately 1 litre of fluid water (0.26 gallons) per hour.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I thought the concern with listeria was that you would get sick and the effects (vomitting, etc.) would affect the fetus?  Clearly I did not do enough googling!
    What is the problem with sprouts?

I think we all break the "rules" at one point or another during pregnancy, so don't beat yourself up too much!  I ate a couple of tuna sandwiches and ate (hot) hot dogs, but hey there were plenty of things I didn't eat or drink.  Give yourself some credit :o)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Hmm, to me a gallon doesn't seem like that much...

I drink my water from a 20oz water bottle and I fill it up at least 5-6 times a day. But I have always been huge fan of water.

I think it is extremely uncommon to get water toxicity. I don't know, I am trying not to think of the bad things that could happen!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It is rare, indeed, but if I were trying to get a gallon down a day, by the end of every day I'd have failed and might try to make up for it.  A gallon in an hour is not good!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Well no, I don't think any human could drink a gallon of waterin an hour. But, if you think about it, cut everything else out that you drink and substitute with water, that's a lot of water a day!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I found with my first pregnancy that by the second trimester if I didn't drink at least 2.5 liters of water a day I'd have horrible charlie horses in the middle of the night.  If I drank enough I was fine. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm probably hyper sensitive to it having just watched that "Super Human" show - they featured a guy who could guzzle enough to kill him and then was a human hydrant.  They kept repeating, "Drinking a gallon at a time will kill 'normal' people!" so it crept into my subconscious, I think. :)