november updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Re: november updates

Congrats amy-lynn on the pregnancy, and congrats am on the "busy baby boy!"  Great news!

So within the last week or so, the pregnancy back pain started.  It's awful!  Sitting at my desk all day at work is brutal.  The pain is mostly on my right side, right below my shoulder blade and sometimes I can feel it down my leg.  My whole lower back also feels really tight.  Any tips on how to alleviate it? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Amy-lynn I used to go to that practice for regular gyn many moons ago and liked Jane Stevens a lot.  There was a lot of turnover around the time I got pg with #1 and i decided I wanted to deliver at SSH and not risk getting into Boston, so I switched to Atrius, which is also affiliated with HVMA.
    AM - congrats on the busy baby boy! 
    AFM, had my first appointment at MFM at SSH.  My placenta is moving in the wrong direction and went from marginal previa to complete previa.  Grrrr.  Not sure if this will mean more restrictions.  Also not sure what this means for our Thanksgiving flight plans - some OBs are very cautious I guess - so I'll find out tomorrow at my regular OB appt.  The high risk ob said she's ok with flying unless there's bleeding (which thankfully I don't have) but she said its my regular OBs call.  
    As for the 5th's disease, there's a chance that even though I had the symptoms and they gave me the diagnosis, I may not have had it (need follow up blood test next week to confirm or rule out) so I'm keeping fingers crossed they misdiagnosed.  Otherwise, weekly u/s at SSH it is!  That wouldn't be the worst thing, especially since it would mean extra monitoring of the placenta previa, but I would rather not have the extra risk to the baby to worry about, of course, and am optimistic that maybe it was some random virus instead.  They didn't explain this to me at first - it sounded more like a done deal - so this is giving me a little more optimism.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betty7. Show betty7's posts

Pugs- have you ever been to a chiropractor?  I hadn't until I was pregnant, and had always been a little skeptical, but it's really helped a lot.  Most insurances cover a certain number of visits a year. Just make sure that the chiropractor has experience with pregnant women.  Other suggestions are pre-natal yoga or pre-natal massage.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a chiropractor during pregnancy.  Was also thinking of acupuncture.  One of my legs is a tiny bit shorter, so I get back pains off and on as it is.  More frequent with the pregnany.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

So... I've been spotting, well not really spotting, it's been so little, mostly just slightly colored CM for almost a week. My first real appointment isn't until next week, but I had a phone appointment today for background info and talked to them about it and I'm going in tomorrow for blood tests. I'm not sure whether or not I should be nervous. Has anyone else had this light spotting? I'm about 7 weeks along.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Amy Lynn - Congrats! 
    AM - Congrats on a very active boy!
    MM - Thats a rather frustrating appointment.  I hadn't heard about travel restrictions with with the previa, just that there were restrictions to exercise and se-x.  That's good news about the possibility that you didn't actually have 5ths disease.  So if you did not have that and had a virus will you still go to MFM for weekly u/s's?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Fram - I've never had Chiropractic work done, but swear by my acupuncturist! He helped me through my infertility treatments and I now go once a week through the first trimester with the hopes of helping baby stick... not sure what he recommends for trimesters after that.  Not sure if he helped me get pregnant, or if it wil help me stay pregnant, but it certainly chills me right out and is great 'me' time. (As an aside, Fram, nearly every person in the world has different length legs, so you're not alone!  If it does cause concern/pain, it might be worthwhile seeing a podiatrist about orthotics).

I had a moment of panic when I woke at 1:30am with severe stabbing pains through my stomach and back, agony! They only lasted a few minutes though and today I have just woken up with abs that feel like I was  doing crunches all night (if only, I could only manage about 20 at the gym last night!).  And the other new development, a beard of pimples.  I am looking a treat, if by 'treat' I mean I look like a pubescent 15 year old boy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

Pugs, I had sciatica throughout my second trimester which felt like constant pain through my lower back and through to my leg on my right side. I thought I was going to be in pain for my whole pregnancy but on recommendation from my OB I went to a physical therapist and after one session I felt 10X better! I would definitely recommend it. It can be as simple as not knowing the proper way to sit up with our new preggo bodies. Also, sitting at work all day made it worse so every hour or less I get up and walk around. I hope it feels better!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Soxgirl, spotting in early pregnancy is VERY common and often nothing to worry about...its good that you are going in to the doctor today, for peace of mind. I hope everything turns out OK. Generally they say pink or brown is OK, and if you're not experiencing cramping along with the spotting, chances are you're good.

Pugs, I have a similar pain below my shoulder blade but I think its from painting and probably not so much pregnancy - but who knows. I also have an awful pain in my right buttcheek...lol. I keep telling people I think I broke my butt. It is not the sciatic nerve, its definitely a pulled muscle - I think I actually injured myself doing yoga of all things. Ugh.

AFM, I think I *may* be feeling the baby move? I'm not completely convinced yet...I think I need it to be more definite before I get excited. But it is a little twitch near my belly button, like a tiny muscle contracting just slightly...I wouldn't say it feels like flutters, but maybe like something crawling under my skin. So, I don't know what to think about that. I'm 18w3d, so I know it is possible...I just think in the next week or so I'll know for sure. Any ideas?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

I've been to two chiropractors before -- one was a joke, the other was a miracle worker! I'd love to continue to see him, but even though insurance covers it, those co-pays really add up.  DH bought me a series of 3 prenatal massages for my birthday, so I'm thinking I may go for the second one next week.

I hadn't thought about a physical therapist or acupuncture...I'm going to have to look into those! 

Silver, sounds like you're feeling the baby!  When I first started feeling mine it felt just like small muscle spasms, but soon you'll be able to realize the difference.  Last night while I was lying down watching TV I could actually see my stomach move when she kicked; it was crazy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I was having mostly mild cramps along with the very mild spotting, but everything is great.
    I went in to the Dr today and they were just going to do a blood test, but since they aren't open on Saturdays, wouldn't have been able to check again and see if my hCG was doubling like it should so they decided just to do an ultrasound! They warned me that I was right at the cusp of them being able to detect the heartbeat so not seeing it wouldn't necessarily be bad. But they could see it, everything is where it is supposed to be and my due date is June 30th :) I'm so relieved and excited!

Silver - congrats on feeling the baby move - that's so exciting!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Congrats Soxgirl... what a relief!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Soxgirl - Glad to hear everything looks OK!  I was going to say that you should definitely push for an exam and ultrasound. 
    I had actual red blood around 18 weeks and they did both.  Luckily there was absolutely nothing wrong.  The OB said it could have been caused by my ultrasound 2 days earlier.  It was external, but she said all of the poking around could have caused it.

Silver - Sounds like baby is moving to me!  I only felt one questionable movement before it was very clear that it was a moving baby.  Although, there were probably earlier ones that I didn't even notice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Soxgirl, that's great news! congrats on your official EDD. :-)

I just sat through a 4-hour "team building" meeting, and continued to feel the same "movements" so I'm glad to come back and read that you all think its the baby, too! Neat!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone else notice weight gain happening in spurts? 
    For the longest time, I had gained 6 lbs.  Then it was 10lbs.  Now it jumped again.  I'm not concerned about the amount of weight, it's just fascinating how it suddenly goes from 6 to 10 to 12.  I weigh myself a few times as week, so what happened to 7, 8, and 9?  :o)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Fram, I had major leaps with weight gain my 2nd trimester with DS.  I think it is normal to have major spurts that period.  It definitely slowed down the 3rd tri and I lost about 4 lbs the last week or so. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Fram, I never even saw 6,7,8, or 9. It seems like I went right to 12. :-)
    And then...more than 12...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Fram, I'm so jealous that you haven't gained that much.. I wish I could say the same.. I'm 28 weeks yesterday and 27 lbs!  I gained 12 or 13 in the first trimester alone...  :-(  it's probably combination of being hungry all the time, hence eating more, and having to stop running around 18 weeks.. I still walk and do yoga and some weights but nothing like I used to.  doctor doesn't seem worried though so i'm just trying to ignore the scale a bit..  I hope MM that I slow this third trimester as you say!  :-) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Soxgirl - I had the same from 7-8 weeks (it lasted 8 days then stopped)...very light brown, kind of coffee colored.  I went in for an early ultrasound as well and all was fine but more reassurance that it's very common.   But my ultrasound doc and my nurse at my regular practice told me spotting happens in 20% of all normal pregnancies.  So hopefully that's a bit more reassurance, too.  I have convinced myself it was just my uterus growing and stretching - that was the week I really noticed it and started to get bloated.  And now I have perma-bloat :)

(Fram - was that you a while back asking who could feel their uterus?  I - at almost 10 weeks - can feel it, but I'm a poker and prodder by nature and knew how my pelvis felt before pregnancy and I definitely could not feel the organ the way I feel it now.)

Back to the perma-bloat topic - any long-legged-ladies out there have good recommendations for maternity work pants?  I'm already going through the day with my button/zipper undone and am waiting for the day when I go to stand up and my undies are hanging out!  I need at least a 34" inseam.  Thanks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

LilSprout, I have very long legs but wear jeans to work most days, or dresses or leggings. Try Gap and Old Navy, b/c I know they have Talls - I do have one pair of actual dress pants that are long and comfy - i think I got them at Macy's maternity department, which it hink is Motherhood?

Oh, also - 34inch inseam is not even long enough for me - just for perspective, so if these pants are long enough for me (I really need like a 36 inseam at the least or else I can only wear flats), I think they'll definitely work for you!

good luck

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sprout - I'm not the best source because I'm only 5'1", but I have maternity pants (work and jeans) from Target and Old Navy and they are all way too long.  So hopefully that's a good sign for you!

I bought the hem tape stuff... but ended up safety pinning them instead.  Can you say ghetto??  But in the morning when I was desperately searching for something that fit, I clearly did not have time to iron that tape into my pants!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: november updates:
    [QUOTE]I think I *may* be feeling the baby move? I'm not completely convinced yet...I think I need it to be more definite before I get excited. But it is a little twitch near my belly button, like a tiny muscle contracting just slightly...I wouldn't say it feels like flutters, but maybe like something crawling under my skin. So, I don't know what to think about that. I'm 18w3d, so I know it is possible...I just think in the next week or so I'll know for sure. Any ideas?
    Posted by SilverFestiva[/QUOTE]
    Feeling the baby move is the BEST. If you think you might be feeling it, you are. It's such a strange and subtle feeling, and you're having it for the first time, and you want it so much that you feel like you might be imagining it, right? That's how I felt, anyway. One thing you can try -- drink a big glass of orange juice and lie down in a quiet room. It helps if you do it at a time when you're usually moving around -- the baby is rocked to sleep inside you when you move, but when you're still it wakes up (part of the problem with newborn sleep schedules -- they're used to being awake when you're asleep!). If orange juice grosses you out, you can try a big cup of ice water. The ice water cools the baby and wakes it up. This is something they have you do late in your pregnancy, when the baby gets big and lazy and doesn't move much. You're supposed to drink about a gallon of water a day to cool him down.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Thanks, Lemon! That's funny, I actually had some OJ this morning and sat down on the couch - and that's when I felt it! :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I used to just bliss out feeling it. My heart felt like it would burst with love for that tiny little baby. It's such an amazing thing, to grow a life inside you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Congrats Soxgirl on the great and reassuring ultrasound!  And Silver, yay for feeling the baby move!  It's SUCH a great feeling.  I LOVE it.

MM, I'm sorry your MFM appointment didn't turn out so well.  Like KT, I'd never heard of restrictions on travel with placenta previa (I had it briefly with DD, but it went away further on into the pregnancy).  Are they going to keep monitoring you frequently due to that, even if you didn't have fifth's disease?

Sections
Shortcuts