november updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: november updates

Dodged a bullet this morning - layoffs today, 20% reduction (salary). I feel awful for the people who are now out of jobs, but I feel so incredibly thankful that DH and I are still here...oy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fallgrl. Show Fallgrl's posts

Thanks for the info Lil Sprout... And may I say, I love your profile pic - always makes me smile!  

I'll keep you posted if I eventually cave and test before Thursday, or if AF shows her "lovely" face... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Lemon- what class did you take? I'm delivering at Mt. Auburn and there are a bunch of different classes, techniques.  Not sure which way to go.  I am hoping to go natural, so the breathing is going to come in helpful!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Pugs - Re: pediatricians - I didn't pick our pedi until a week before Zoe arrived - we went with a recommendation from someone on this board (it's terrible but I can't remember who... we go to Mystic Valley Pedis).  The dr. did not cover our hospital, so we just had a hospital pedi check her out while we were there, then went to our pedi the day after we went home.  Lots of people pick theirs much earlier, obviously, I just didn't for whatever reason...

Re: classes - we took a breastfeeding class and I wasn't sure how helpful it would be, but I actually found myself referring back to what we had learned the entire time I was in the hospital (mostly the holding and latching, like KT).  I was surprised how much I remembered and ultimately how helpful it was to have some idea what to expect.  I also plan to go to a drop-in as soon as I can drive again.  We also took a weekend format childbirth class and I'm glad we did that as well.  There were very specific things I wanted to hear about, for example how all of the medicines (epidural, etc) worked.  It cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had (that I didn't know I had).  There were lots of things that I felt I already knew, but I thought it was worth it.  Maybe it can be attributed bo my personality, but I do think taking the classes made me MUCH more relaxed as a new mom than if I hadn't taken them.  I haven't had really any moments of panic, fear, or anything like that - whenever something happens that is difficult, I can usually remember something from our classes that reminds me that it's "normal".  So, just my opinion on classes!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: november updates:
    [QUOTE]Lemon- what class did you take? I'm delivering at Mt. Auburn and there are a bunch of different classes, techniques.  Not sure which way to go.  I am hoping to go natural, so the breathing is going to come in helpful!
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

I didn't take a class, and I regret it. But if you're going to the center for women, I'd ask the midwives for advice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi all!  I've been MIA due to being sick the past few days.  It turns out I have come down with Fifth's Disease... ugh!  So, I am 21.5 weeks now and it is more dangerous before 20 weeks, but of course I'm seriously paranoid.  I had a friend who had it her whole pregnancy and just had lots of monitoring and was fine, but I guess in some rare cases, there are risks of severe anemia and other complications to the fetus.  I went to the OB today with what was an uncontrollable fever (I had to argue the triage nurse to get an appointment b/c I of course got the "its probably the tail end of a virus" line) and the midwife asked me to roll up my sleeves and unbeknownst to me, I had a slight lacy rash on my arms.  The fevers, joint pain, and rash, she felt was like Fifth's Disease.  She was very reassuring but I of course know there's some increased risks and at the very least, increased monitoring necessary.  I had an u/s already scheduled for Monday to get some measurements they couldn't get at 18 week, and now she's moving it to maternal fetal medicine at So. Shore.  I'm sure everything will be fine, but of course, I'm freaking out slightly.  Just needed to vent!
    Congrats to the newcomers on the pregnancy board.  Prill, glad to hear the numbers are rising!!!
    As for So. Shore, I'm positive they do free tours that you can arrange through the maternity concierge.  As far as I know, the childbirth classes are now through Isis - I don't know if Isis will do them onsite at SSH or out of their Hanover location.  Before DS, we took childbirth (great class but ultimately useless for me as I was induced b/c of low fluid and high bp and had an emergency c-section... and I of course paid little attention to the c-section information in the class), BFing - not as helfpul as I hoped b/c it was all just theoretical until the baby was in front of me.  The BF support group at SSH was WAY more helpful, and we took newborn care - that was pretty helpful and useful.  A lot of it was no-brainer stuff, but as a new parent, thinking back to class was really reassuring when we were "in the moment" with things like the first bath, etc.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Oh, no, MM...I'm sure everything will be okay, but I can see how you're worried just the same.  I'm glad they will be monitoring.  I also got sick - with food poisoning.  It was scary because I was having some BH contractions, but what with my stomach hurting so bad, they felt painful.  The OB said it's common with GI disturbances to get them due to the dehydration factor.  And they went away once everything was out of my system.  I'm just feeling weak now. 

Congrats to Prill on your BFP and nicely rising numbers.  I'm so excited for you!!  Also congrats to the other new BFPs.

As for classes, we took them all (natural childbirth, infant CPR and Safety, breastfeeding and infant care) and the only one I didn't find helpful was the breastfeeding one.  I think that might have been due in part to the instructor, but I didn't find it applied much once DD came.  My insurance covered a good portion of two of the classes, though, so it's probably worth checking with your insurance to see what, if anything, they will cover.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I finally have a minute to post...internet wasn't working in my room at NWH, and since we got home on Sunday, it's all been a blur of trying to sleep, feed, diaper and comfort!

We had a little girl on Wednesday...so excited to have her with us, but she's a little peanut...only 5 lb, 7 oz when she was born, and 4 lb 13 oz when we came home.  So I've been breastfeeding, pumping and finger feeding her what feels like constantly to get her weight up.

She's absolutely a perfect little doll...with a full head of dark hair, adorable little nose and mouth and big, big eyes.  She's got a great disposition so far, but I keep reminding myself that according to the calendar, she's still supposed to be cooking inside of me, so she's concentrating on sleeping and eating now.

It's definitely hard...sleep is hard to come by...I love my husband to death, but could kill him for how easily he's able to fall asleep!  My mom's also been by every day for at least a couple of hours, and has been taking care of me (feeding me, making sure I sleep while she's here, and helping with pumping/feeding issues).  DH is great at holding her and giving me time, but it's hard to be the one who has to be the primary food source! 

C-section went fine...but a word to the wise for all of you out there...ask them to dress your incision WITHOUT TAPE!!!  The OB on call (not mine) removed my dressing along with giving me a huge tape burn (ripped off a chunk of skin) and it's hurting more than the incision.  Also, keep ahead of your meds...they give you stuff that's safe for the baby and being a martyr about pain doesn't help anyone, and just hurts you.  And use the nurses...I was lucky to have a couple of really amazing ones, who kept a great eye on me...was especially helpful with a teeny baby who I want to breastfeed and was feeling some pressure to supplement with formula...the nurse helped me make an argument with the pedi that we were on the right track, and really was an advocate and watchdog for me.  Also made sure every OB who saw me while I was there heard about the tape burn and who did it! 

Best thing about being at home has been my own couch and bed and surroundings...but I noticed that I tried to do too much the first day...things like getting off the couch or out of bed take more work than you realize!  Now have gotten better about asking my husband to help me...and have realized that he really wants to, but feels a little helpless, and appreciates having tasks (like getting me a drink or snack, holding the baby whenever, changing every diaper!) and has been amazing at reminding me what I good job I'm doing and how proud he his of me. 

Now have to get back to pumping...if anyone has questions about finger feeding or getting through tough breastfeeding, I'm happy to help.  If it's important to you (as it is to me), you can make sure that your baby is getting plenty of nourishment no matter what!  I'm dealing with an early, small baby which can mean latching problems, with an inverted n!pple, which means I've been dealing with n!pple shields and painful n!pples, and have been pumping from day one to finger feed additional calories to supplement nursing...and she's doing great!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh and just went back and read Prill's happy news...so exciting and thinking wonderful, sticky baby thoughts for you as I hold my little one!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Luv - Congrats on your little girl!  Glad to hear that your c-section went well as well.

MM - You need to catch a break!  I had a few visits to Maternal Fetal medicine when pregnant with DD and they are really great over there.  I saw both Dr's there and they are both very nice as well as all the techincians.  As a bonus you'll get to see the baby in 3D! 

AFM - I had my 20 week appt yesterday and all is well.  Apparently walking at lunch has really helped with the weight gain, I did much better this month (and then celebrated by having ice cream for dinner - oops!)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

KT - great news on the walking!  Good job! 
    I want to send a big congrats to Luv!  Welcome to your DD!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

Luv, congrats to you and your DH on your new addition.  The first few weeks are definitely a huge learning curve, but you'll totally become a pro in no time.

KT -- good job on the walking.  I'm impressed that you are still doing it in this cold.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Luv, congrats on your little peanut!

KT - good to hear the walking is helping, I definitely need to keep that up. It is getting increasingly difficult with the cold.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I'll be honest, this week has been really hard and my lunchtime walking buddy has bailed on me - this next month of walking will be much harder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Luv - Congrats on your baby girl!

MM and am - so sorry to hear you're sick!

I made a resolution to walk every work day, if possible, but that lasted about a week and a half!  Too many darn meetings!!  I need to step it up before there is snow/ice on the ground.  I think my weight gain is on the lower side so far, BUT I was at the high end of my personal range to begin with.  I think if I had started off lower, I'd still be where I am now, meaning I would have gained more.  If that makes sense :oP

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Congrats on your little peanut Luv!

I've been walking the whole time because I have a dog that needs to burn off her energy!  I am thinking that as it gets colder I may join a gym, but not sure if its worth it to just use the treadmill to walk on!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

has anyone watched "I didn't know i was pregnant' on TLC? I am totally fascinated by this show.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Silver, I too am fascinated.  I have known one person in my life who could have been on that... to this day, still not 100% sure how it happened, but luckily she and her now grown son are a-ok! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Just wanted to pass on my congratulations to Luv! Having a baby girl is awesome!

It's also exciting to see so many new names on the pregnancy board. My daughter is 10 weeks old and I love every square inch of her beyond reason. And still, I look at pregnant women with a bit of envy. Enjoy every minute of having your bean on the inside!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

In Response to Re: november updates:
    [QUOTE]Silver, I too am fascinated.  I have known one person in my life who could have been on that... to this day, still not 100% sure how it happened, but luckily she and her now grown son are a-ok! 
    Posted by MM379[/QUOTE]

My sister didn't know until 5 1/2 months...but I can't imagine finding out by delivering a baby into the toilet!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Congrats Prill and Luv!  I hope Stefani is doing great.

Wow, what a tough week for us.  Our little one was born with a cyst in her airway that was drained on her 3rd day.  However, after seeing a lactation consultant last week and finding out that she had lost more weight and her swallow was not as effective and my milk production was down, she started to have noisy breathing again.  Admitted back to the hospital, initial look by resident felt that everything was ok.  Continued to have noisy breathing, back to OR this week and sure enough it had recurred and needed more extensive drainage. The cyst occluded about half of her airway -scary!  Unfortunately, with pumping I have gotten literally nothing and she had to be without eating for hours and hours due to both surgical procedures.  The BF unfortunately was a casualty due to lack of milk supply which I have been so sad about but given the circumstances, there was nothing left to do.  I am so bummed because was able to bf exclusively for about 2 weeks, went through a tremendous amout of pain and now ultimately am giving formula. 

Of course, the plus side is that she is gaining weight, looks great and we are praying that this does not recur again.

I then developed mastitis.  Between 3 hospitalizations and all the other issues, I am wiped but starting to feel better.

She is adorable and seems to be getting older by the day!

MM - I posted to you on your other post.  I am so sorry you have been sick!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

So sorry to hear about all the complications, Luck!

Silver - I've only seen that show a couple of times, but it is fascinating.  I have one friend who didn't know until 24 weeks.  Never asked her too many details, but I have to assume that someone like that either continued to have monthly spotting or usually had irregular periods.  Such a mystery!
    There is also a friend of our family whose daughter delivered on a cruise ship because she didn't know she was pregnant.  She had a heck of a time getting a birth certificate!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Aw, luck that is tough! I hope things continue to look up for you, and glad to hear she's gaining weight!

holy cr*p fram! that's nuts!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Luck that sounds scary but I am glad that your DD is doing well now!!  I can imagine having to stop bf is hard but as long as your LO is doing okay that is what matters.  Glad you are feeling better too!  Sounds like you and your family has been through a lot.

I am hoping Stefani is doing well too!!  Congrats Luv on your DD!

I'm so impressed with the walking ladies, it has been sooo cold lately!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Congrats Luv on your new daughter!  How exciting!  I'm glad things went ok (well, except for the tape! ouch!).  I was at NWH too - did you have a nurse named Mary by any chance?  (black hair, thick bangs, glasses)  Or Susan (middle-aged, sort of round, short brown hair)?  They were my two favorites!!