november updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Re: november updates

Prill - I have the same dilemma.  I am going out with some friends after work Monday and we always have a few bottles of wine.  I am going to have to have a headache or something.  We don't want to tell anyone until we tell our parents which we plan to do at Thanksgiving. 

Just came back from my second ultrasound, I can't believe how much bigger it is, still doesn't look like a baby, though still pretty cool.  The best part was I got to hear the heartbeat! Too bad my DH couldn't get out of work today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

ajuly - Start taking pictures now before the bump!  A friend kept telling me that and I kept blowing it off, but when I finally started taking pics at 16 weeks I wished I had started a few weeks earlier.

Pugs, Silver - What is it about MILs?!  That is so random that she bought lamps.  I mentioned in another post that my MIL is currently insisting that we should have bought a diaper changing table, not just a crib and dresser.  I swear if she gets one I will return it!!

Prill - If it were me, I would just pour a half glass of wine and carry it around all night.  I only pretended to drink once - at 10 weeks or less went out after work with a bunch of co-workers and ordered a club soda with lime.

LLTy - I believe the strechmarks WILL fade once the baby is born.  Not sure what they will look like ultimately, but not what they look like now.  I agree with whoever said that nothing you can buy over the counter is going to do anything.  It can't unstrech your skin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That's awesome that you heard the hb, wed!!  How many weeks are you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

In Response to Re: november updates:
    [QUOTE]That's awesome that you heard the hb, wed!!  How many weeks are you?
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

7.5 weeks.  I was really surprised, I never imagined I would hear it so early.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Congrats Stefani on your newly arrived LO's!!! That is so great.  Sorry about the BFing.  Someone told me oatmeal helps increase milk supply as well and an LC also told me about the importance that the breastshields be the right size! 

Wed that is so great that you heard the hb!!! I never got tired of that at my appts.

Sorry about the annoying MIL's.  My MIL is actually very hands off, doesn't even call to talk to me just my DH on his cellphone.  So I guess I kind of wish my MIL was a little more involved but not to the extent of yours!

Stretch marks are an inherited thing and sometimes just can't be avoided.  They do fade but it does take a while. 

Luck I have a pooch too! I assumed it was because of my csection and I was going to try to do a bunch of ab work to get it to go away!  I also need to find a good gym to go to because the one I went to before was near my work not anywhere near my home.  Anyone have suggestions of a place near Melrose?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Stefani--Glad to hear that you're doing well.  Good weights on the babies!!!  I had problems with milk production too, so just a couple of tips if you decide you want to continue.  The LCs I consulted recommended this supplement:

http://www.motherlove.com/product/580-More-Milk-Special-Blend.html

There is something in it called goat's rue that is powerful enough to induce lactation in women who haven't even been pregnant (i.e. adoptive mothers).  It also has fenugreek and some other stuff in it.  It really helped a lot with boosting my supply.  It does not taste good, but I would take it with a glass of water afterwards and it was fine.

Drink water.  All the time.

Pump at least every 3 hours for at least 15 minutes.  One LC I talked to recommended doing a "power hour" once or twice a day, but I never had time.  Basically, pump for 10 minutes, wait 10 minutes, pump 10 minutes etc. for an hour.  That's supposed to mimic cluster feeding and help to boost your supply.

I also had no increase in breast size during my pregnancy.  Doing the above, I was able to increase my milk production to the point that most days the kids only had one bottle of formula each. 

Do a Google search on "galactogogues."  You will find lists of herbs and foods (someone mentioned oatmeal, but fennel is another one) that help with milk supply.  Be aware also, that some things can decrease milk supply (look for "galactofuges"--mint is a big one, but also parsley and basil if I remember correctly). 

If you don't have a hospital-grade pump, you may need to rent one for a couple of months.  The regular pump-in-style ones are good if nursing is going well, but they are not strong enough to really increase your supply if you're having difficulty.

Now...if nursing/pumping isn't working and your supply doesn't increase, DO NOT feel any guilt or feel pressure to contine with it.  Many people born in the 70s and 80s were exclusively formula fed and are just fine.  BUT, if it's important to you to continue, have an LC come to your house a couple of times to watch you nurse and/or to check the size of the pump attachments.  The LCs at Children's Hospital were very supportive and helpful with ideas for increasing supply and trying to help with the nursing before I decided just to pump.

Do what works and whatever it is you feel you need to do, but in the end, what matters most is that your babies are well-loved and well-fed.  A happy Mommy who bottle feeds milk or formula is more important to them than a stressed-out Mommy who breast feeds them.

Regarding stretch marks:  I actually went to a dermatologist 7 months post-partum b/c they didn't seem to be fading.  She assured me that they would fade eventually and told me that none of the over the counter stuff actually works.  The only thing they can really do is laser treatment, but it's expensive, and of course, insurance doesn't cover it.  Now, 17 months post partum, they have faded significantly for the most part.  There are a couple of really stubborn ones that haven't faded much, but the reality is that I have no intention of baring my stomach in public anyway (I've never had a bikini body and I definitely don't now!).  So...try to be patient and see what happens. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

thank you all for the BF tips.  the pumping every 3 hours is getting old b/c of the sad amount of milk i'm getting, so today i'm just going to put each baby to br&ast for 10 minutes before giving them their formula.  if nothing else at least i don't have to SEE the pitiful results of my pumping!  and it's nice time with the babies.  i have a dr's appt and a pedi appt tomorow so i'll def. ask about finding a LC for extra help - and those supplements look promising.

i'm amazed that every person i talk to gives different advice re: BF-ing and feeding in general - even the 3 pedis who saw us and all the nurses at brigham and women's where i delivered.  it's frustrating!  also frustrating is that most people assume i'm "normal" (meaning i have the capacity to produce enough milk) and give me "you can do it" type advice with BF-ing, or blame pumping or whatever the last person told me to do or the supplemental formula for my low production (as if i was going to tell the nurses no when they told me they recommended that we start giving formula b/c the babies had lost over 10% of their birth weight!).  i just want to find a LC who's reasonable and not super-judgmental.  note: the pedi's so far have really pushed BF-ing and some have been judgmental.  i can see why people drive themselves crazy with this.  just a tip for you PG'ers - something to look fwd to!  ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Stefani, if you're near Weymouth South Shore Hosp has a drop in lactation group and the LCs are super nice.  It's M-F from 1-2 and it's free.  I can't imagine BFing twins as I really only produce from 1 side, but fortunately it's enough.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I feel like I've been complaining a lot lately (being sick, MIL), so let me say that I swear I am not miserable!  I'm enjoying almost every second of this pregnancy :o)
    That being said, we started our registry at Babies R Us yesterday and boy was it stressful!!  There are just so many things I haven't researched yet (bottles, bouncy seats, swings, mattress pads).  Mattresses and carseats I have researched but didn't see what I wanted in the store.
    DH was great though.  We were there for like 3 hours and he didn't complain at all when I was indecisive or stressed.  He was randomly scanning things behind my back, so needless to say I had to do some editing online this morning :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Stefani I found I got conflicting info. as well when I was in the hospital.  One LC almost had me in tears.  I second what Daisy said formula or bfing your babies will be happy and its important to not have a stressed out mom!

Fram registering was totally overwhelming.  The first time I went I literally just went to walk around and check it out.  I didn't scan anything or do anything just looked at stuff, took mental notes of what I wanted to ask friends with kids already (such as bottles) and then went back another time when I was ready!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Fram, registering is overwhelming - I took DH to do the big stuff and then went back with my mom to finish off the rest.  I did not do a ton of research on things other than the carseat, mattress, and stroller.  Basically I just asked other mom's what they liked and went with that.  the one thing I sort of cheaped out on was the swing, I wish I had got the Lamb one that looks really snuggly and rocks side to side.  I'm looking to get rid of mine and get a used one of the other off CL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

I'm going out with my mom next weekend to start checking out things for the registry.  I'm not even going to bother bringing DH because he's awful with that stuff.  I showed him a few things I registered for online, and one of them was a boppy pillow.  He says "I don't like it.  I don't like that flower pattern.  Don't they have just a plain pink?"  Seriously DH???  LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Congrats Stef on the arrival of your little ones, and hopefully you can get some non-judgemental and useful advice soon!

I have my 6 week U/S tomorrow, and am excited, although still super cautious, it is a weird mindset to be in.

What has come about with avengence though is sensitive n!pples and emotional outbursts.  I was in Macys on Saturday and burst in to tears because I couldn't decide which boots I wanted to buy.  I had to leave!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

Prill, boots can be totally worth tears sometimes :-). And I hate to say but I'm 35 weeks and right there with you in the "emotional" boat... I went to do my make up and discovered my bronzer broke and started crying... DH was concerned to say the least. LOL.

I went to Babies r Us to try to get stuff that I didn't recieve for my babyshower and after testing out every single stroller I finally picked one and got a car seat as well. I didn't recieve a breast pump and didn't know if that's something I should invest in now or wait to see how I produce if I actually need one. (I am still in shock about how expensive some of them were!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Prill, the obvious solution would have been to just splurge on multiple pairs of boots!  :)

Don't feel bad.  This weekend I scolded the dog for biting on my pant leg, then I felt guilty and started bawling uncontrollably for a good half hour.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Fram - for swings I know a lot of babies that loved them and a lot that HATED them so they can be a waste of money and space.  Keep that in mind.  We loved the playtex drop-in bottles.  As for bouncy seat go basic.  Also, I wouldn't stress over a mattress pad.  I just got the least expensive one and it has been going strong for 6 years.  This is just my 2 cents.

For less stressful registering take the list of "suggested items" from BRU and throw it away.  Seriously.  You probably need half of the things they say you can't live without.  Unless you are never going to do laundry and have a mansion to fit all of the baby items in.  We survived with only 3 crib sheets and probably could have done with 2.  Can you imagine that? lol.  DS had 50 blankets (2004 must have been year of the blanket as best gift) and we used maybe 3-4 favorite ones.  I would also skip registering for clothing, diaper rash cream, soap/toiletries and only register for items you really have an opinion on.  It will make your life easier.

On a total other note...When you ladies are in the hospital do yourself a favor for later and take one or 2 of the hospital pads that they put on the bed.  They are awesome for when your older child wets the bed.  I wish I had more than one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Milk supply.

When I had a lot of trouble nursing in the beginning, my dear mother told me to drink beer. I am not a beer drinker, but I drank 2 light beer daily for two weeks or so, that really started the production going. (I would even imagine, that non-alcoholic beer would do the same). I know, these days nursing mothers are not supposed to drink alcohol - but if it helps you and your baby, why not try it. It didn't hurt my baby the least. I would think it would be a lot safer than herbs.
    Good luck to all of you - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I'm an emotional nightmare - I cry at everything. I'm pretty emotional normally, so this escalation of tears is really getting out of control.

My mom is here visiting so this weekend we got the nursery painted, and we even put the crib and changing table together that are hand-me-downs from my brother - its kind of fun to walk by that room and see a crib in the corner! She taught me how to cook Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, which was really fun, DH and I are just going to have our own quiet Thanksgiving this year - well, we were until his mother invited herself over - so I'll make all the recipes I grew up with and it will be a nice change for me. Of course now as I type I'm getting teary b/c she is leaving in a couple of days and I am not going to handle it well. :-(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Stefani - Can't believe I forgot to congratulate you!

LLTy - I'm still undecided about purchasing a pump, but sometimes insurance will cover it, so might be worth waiting until the baby is born to see if you can get a prescription.  I'm sure some of the moms on here could give us advice :o)

Thanks for the registry tips so far!  I had decided on the carseat and strollers so I figured we'd get started with that and the stuff that's easy to pick, like bibs, sheets, onesies.  I'm hoping a friend will go back with me soon to pick stuff I need mom advice on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Fram - people generally know you need onesies and bibs unless they have never purchased a baby gift.  Honestly they tend to be very difficult to find off a registry print out.  We just registered for the big stuff or things we were specific about like the crib sheet color.  We still got plenty of the little stuff and gift cards helped fill in the blanks.  Of course this is again just my 2 cents.  Sorry, it's raining and I am bored. :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

We registered for a couple bibs (we meaning DH while he was in charge of the scanning gun).  I agree with Ry though, I avoid those items on registry's because they are impossible to find in the store.  I'm also VERY bored today so I apologize for the unsolicited advice!

I'm putting together a list of items that I will need for the new baby, so far I have:
    New Bottles (For some reason we are missing a lot of bottles)
    JJ Cole Bundle Me Lite
    Double Stroller
    New Swing (either buying from a friend or off CL)
    New Bumper for the crib

Can anyone think of anything else that I need?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I love the lamb swing.  DS didn't really like it at first but now he loves it.  Initially his favorite thing was the bassinet feature in our pack n play...it looks really goofy and originally I thought it was lame but then DS loved napping in it.  He still does now but the swing has become the new favorite.  Let me tell you they change all the time.  He loved his bouncy seat, then hated it and now loves it again. 

Regarding beer...my SIL was told by her dr to drink beer when her milk production wasn't coming in and it worked great. 

silver that sounds like such a nice time!!  I loved putting together the nursery and to do it with your mom is so nice!!

I did not purchase a pump and ended up getting a prescription for one.  So I would recommend that.  It's not to hard to send someone to the store once you get home if one is needed!  They will have a hospital grade one in your hospital room for you to use if need be and you can also rent them.

Oh and crib sheets my SIL recommended what is called the Ultimate Crib Sheet.  It is great I totally recommend it.  It snaps onto the sides of the crib and has three layers to it - a soft top, an absorbant middle and vinyl bottom.  It's totally washable.  I have started putting DS in his crib for naps to get him ready for the transition to his crib and he likes it, it's not uncomfortable and if his diaper leaks its easy to get on and off.  They are a little pricey but worth it!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

for whatever its worth,  my SIL gave me some Born Free bottles that she really liked (I think they're organic or something), and she also really likes the Dr. Brown's bottles although she said they are a pain to clean. They do have a dishwasher insert though, so I'm thinking that might allleviate that a little bit. I'm going to try both the Dr. Brown's and the Born Free (and my breasts), and see what works.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Oh, Also this was a lifesaver!  A microwave sterilizer is awesome, just makes cleaning bottles/pump part SO much easier.  I used this the whole time DD was on bottles, it was great.  You don't have to buy the same brand as the bottles, I have Dr Brown bottles and the Avent sterilizer.  My friends who did not have these always had bottles soaking in their sink for hours.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3239857

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLTyrrell. Show LLTyrrell's posts

Thank goodness for my "cyber mom friends" as you are all now referred to in my real life. Otherwise I would have paid for a ridiculously expensive pump when there are so many fantastic alternatives that you all have told me about!