november updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Re: november updates

They make sterilizer bags too.  I generally used the dishwasher to sterilize bottles/pacifiers but the bags were handy when the dishwasher wasn't full or when traveling.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

We're replacing out bottle parts like the n*pples, KT, but keeping the main outer part.  We used Dr. Browns and I second the praise of the sterilizer!  We literally used it every day, sometimes twice a day, until he was done with bottles. 
    So far for #2 we got a new bedding set ($50 brand new on ebay!) and we also got a double BOB on ebay and picked up a double umbrella dirt cheap at a yard sale.  I'd like to get a miracle blanket and try that for swaddling.  I have a baby bjorn and a friends baby k'tan that I think I'll have to use a lot to keep hands free for DS. I have a bundleme lite from DS - I recommend it and really like the weight of it.  I do regret not getting one of those cradle swings - we have more of a traditional one.  But it is in great shape, so I doubt I'll replace it unless i can get a loaner.  Any other suggestions for #2 that you learned from #1?      

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

That's a score on the bedding!  I do want to get a double umbrella too,  there is a consignment store down the street from me that I need to start looking at.  Funny about the blankets, I told DH we need to take at least 10 from the hospital this time, I loved those but I should buy a few too.  I have the Bjorn too and never used it much with DD but kept it thinking it would get a lot more use this time around.  SIL is giving me a sling, I'm not sure that will get any use but can't hurt to have, she is also giving me her h00ter hider so I can have two.  Also, Atrius is giving out $5 Similac coupons that are related to the recall - I took 7, hahaha.  I am going to stock up near the end of the year at BJ's.

So I went to the dentist yesterday after one part of my lower gum was very inflamed.  Turns out that I have a pregnancy tumor which carries no risk to the baby or me - thank god!  I had been very stressed about it and didn't sleep a couple nights, and now I have a cold from stressing/not sleeping.  I guess the tumor is fairly common but will have to be removed after the baby is born otherwise it will just return.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Oh, bummer KT! does it hurt? I have read about those.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Does anyone else feel like they still get PMS without the actual menstruating??  Every few weeks I feel a little down and overwhelmed.  And today everyone is driving me crazy!  I'm so overwhelmed with work and baby stuff.  One day at a time, Fram, one day at a time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Now that you mention it...yes. I'm usually the beginning of the month and come to think of it the last week or so I've been extremely moody and sensitive and emotional. I actually think my "PMS" might be worse during pregnancy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Silver, no it doesn't hurt at all just looks gross - Thankfully its in a spot you can't really see.  I've vowed not to google or read about it just in case there is some freak horrible story!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Just in from my 6 week u/s, which actually showed to be a 5.5 week!  Not too much to see, just a 'yolk', so I go back next week to make sure bubs is growing as it should be.

EDD - July 8.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

good news on your U/S, Prill! At 5.5 weeks, that is exactly what you should see. :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cat1980. Show Cat1980's posts

That is great Prill! I can't wait for my first U/S which will be first week of December.  Feels like a lifetime away...and sitting here wishing I felt sick doesn't help ;)

These boards are addicting.  I spent all day today reading through old posts, and getting no work done. So much good information though!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Cat, it DOES feel like a lifetime away!  I am inching toward my first "official" ultrasound with the OB (the first unplanned one was due to spotting at 7.5 weeks), so that was the first date on the calendar that I was really looking forward to.  It's still a week and a half away (I'm about 9.5 weeks now) - Friday the 19th.  If all goes well at that appointment we'll consider spilling the beans to friends and the rest of the family at Thanksgiving.

I have no advice for taking your mind off of it...it's so difficult to be so patient!!!  I'm just so glad that other ladies in their first trimesters are creeping out of the woodwork to join the boards!  Even if it's just to post about twiddling their thumbs (which is basically what I just did...)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I always look on babycenter.com or in my Mayo Clinic book to see what the little bean (supposidly) looks like now. I can feel those first movements already! It's like being tickled with a feather - so fun.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

I just can't wait until Thanksgiving, that is when we decided to tell our families.  It will feel more real after that I am sure.  I have my first OB appointment on Friday.  Can anyone tell me what they do at the first appointment?  A nurse is supposed to call me Tuesday for my history (don't know why they can't open my file and read it since I just spend 6 months with the RE at Mass Gen as well) and then the actual appointment on Friday.  I did ask and the receptionist said there would not be an ultrasound.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

They go over your medical/family history - they ask extra questions because certain genetic issues come into play e.g. if you have family members with cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure - even what your ancestry is (what countries etc). They take a urine sample, draw blood, if they don't do an u/s they might do a pelvic exam and a papsmear if you haven't had one recently, br*east exam, take your weight (fun!) . Answer any questions you have talk to you about the different blood tests available. It's a lot of talking.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

To July who wanted to know what moms did before formula ... The most common options were wet nurses and goats milk.  And yes, even alcohol which was sterile versus water.  Beer was added to goats milk. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Great to hear all the updates from everyone, and I am excited to add myself to the list of expecting moms! I think I'm due right around the same time as Prill - July 8 or July 10, depending on if you take default 28 day cycle, or my actual cycle length.
    I don't have my first appointment until Dec.3, and I won't meet the OB until Jan.5. The OB I saw last time has moved to a different Harvard Vanguard site, so I will be seeing someone different. They set me up with a male OB. Has anyone else had a male doctor? I think having a similar philosophy is more important to me that guy vs. gal, but at the same time, I am a little unsure about the whole thing. I'd appreciate your thoughts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Thats great news Amy!  Congratulations.  Fingers crossed we both have trouble free, sticky pregnancies!!!

I was also thinking at first I would prefer a female OB, but I have found a male one, who comes recommended by my RE and another friend, who is a guy, so I may end up going with him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

congrats, Amy-Lynn! I have a male OB, he's great. It isn't weird at all. As long as they are good at what they do, that's all that really matters. If you find you're not comfortable with it, you can always change doctors - but give him a chance!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

amy--first off, congratulations!! My high-risk OB (b/c of my AMA) was a man and he was great. At first, I was a little worried, too, especially because my regular OB practice was all-female. He had a gentle, supportive nature and my DH and I just clicked with him. I believe that easy communication is the most important factor in the relationship, much more than gender.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Thanks. I'm glad to hear so many of you have great OBs who are men. Intellectually, I know that a caring, compatible doctor is what I want, so gender shouldn't matter, but when they were scheduling me, it kind of made me pause, and I wasn't sure how I felt.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

Amy-Lynn, which Harvard Vanguard do you go to? I went to the one in Quincy, which is where I think you live?, and had a male OB, Dr. Kralios. Mot of my appointments were with the midwife, only 4 or 5 with the Dr., but I liked him. He happened to be at the hospital during my delivery (midwife couldn't get there in time, very quick delivery) and he was very calming and reassuring, and according to all the nurses did an excelent job carefully stitching me back up. I wouldn't say he really had much of a philosophy, other than encouraging breastfeeding, I spoke with teh mid-wife much more about birth plans and such.

In Response to Re: november updates:
    [QUOTE]Great to hear all the updates from everyone, and I am excited to add myself to the list of expecting moms! I think I'm due right around the same time as Prill - July 8 or July 10, depending on if you take default 28 day cycle, or my actual cycle length. I don't have my first appointment until Dec.3, and I won't meet the OB until Jan.5. The OB I saw last time has moved to a different Harvard Vanguard site, so I will be seeing someone different. They set me up with a male OB. Has anyone else had a male doctor? I think having a similar philosophy is more important to me that guy vs. gal, but at the same time, I am a little unsure about the whole thing. I'd appreciate your thoughts
    Posted by amy-lynn[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

I'm not sure who I've congratulated yet, since I seem to be forgetting a lot lately, so I'll just say a congrats to all the new expecting moms!!! I am so excited for all of you and wish you all happy and healthy pregnancies.

Prill, I'm glad your first ultrasound went well and that you saw exactly what you were supposed to see!

We had our anatomy scan this morning and found out we are having a "very busy baby BOY".  Mother's intuition was right.  He was not shy AT ALL.  So now we'll have one of each.  We are very excited.  More importantly, everything looked good, but he wasn't cooperating for a spine shot (he kept flipping from side to side and flipping up and down) so we have to go back in for that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Great news, amy-lynn!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

That is who my appointment is with! Glad to know that you liked him. I saw Jane Stevens for the majority of my appointments last time, and I will be seeing her again, so I was happy about that, I thought she was great.
    So a little familiar, a little unfamiliar, it shouldn't be too bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Congrats on your boy, am! :-)