OB affiliated with Winchester Hospital

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

OB affiliated with Winchester Hospital

Hi all,

We are thinking of choosing Winchester Hospital for this delivery, instead of NWH.  Only because NWH is so far away from where we now live and will likely eventually buy a house.

I did a search on these forums and found mixed reviews of OBs affiliated with Winchester Hosp., but they were all from several years ago so thought I'd start a new thread.

Can anyone recommend any OBs in Winchester or north of there (up 93N would be easiest)?

Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Re: OB affiliated with Winchester Hospital

Hi Poppy, our LO was born at Winchester Hospital.
    My OB was Ellen Guthrie in Medford.  It was fine.  A small practice, just her and two NP's.  Occasionally, but not normally, there was a wait.  The best part is that the nurses / staff are really great.
    The doctor who actually delivered was Dr. Fullerton, who I believe is in a group practice in Woburn.  Dr. Guthrie was in an "on call" rotation with a couple of other small practices.  I really liked Dr. Fullerton, but I've never seen her outside of the hospital.
    I'll be curious to hear what you decide!  If we have another, I will consider switching to a midwife, but if I stay with an OB I'll probably stay with Dr. Guthrie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford - that would be AWESOME because I work in Malden. Kills me to take 2+ hours of sick time for each appointment!  I will definitely need an OB because I'm pretty sure i have to have another c-section.  Thanks for the rec!

I'm assuming you had a good experience at Winchester?  I've heard lots of good things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Dr. Ellen Guthrie.  She delivered my niece & nephew and my SIL loves her.  Her father was my pedi growing up too.  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

That's 2 votes for Dr. Guthrie!  :)

I should probably mention that I'm nervous about the delivery this time around because there were some complications with my c-section that will mean I will need a very experienced surgeon.  I'm sure you don't all go around asking your OB, "Are you an experienced surgeon?  How experienced?", but just thought I'd mention it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: OB affiliated with Winchester Hospital:
    [QUOTE]Dr. Ellen Guthrie.  She delivered my niece & nephew and my SIL loves her.  Her father was my pedi growing up too.  :)
    Posted by June08bride[/QUOTE]
    And apparently her GRANDfather was a doctor in the same location.  She's 3rd generation.  :)
    Poppy, everyone gave me the advice to pick an OB office where you like the staff because you spend a lot of time with them more than the doctor, as you know!  I liked her office for that reason.  Especially with #2 and if you are planning on another c-section, I guess there won't be as many questions about pain medication, birth plans, and such, so liking the office and having faith in the skill of the doctors is probably more important than "liking" the doctor per se.

Winchester was fine.  I don't have much to compare it to!  I really liked the nurses and the LC.  They were all great.  The only slightly not great thing is that the mother & baby rooms are really small.  But if your husband is not going to stay over it would be a non-issue.  With the cot for him, it was tight.  The delivery rooms are enormous!  And my husband can attest that they had a fold out couch thingy that was comfy enough for a few hours of sleep.  :)
    Oh, the only other thing is that they don't do blood draws at Dr. Guthrie's office.  You have to go to a lab site.  So it adds a little time, but you also don't have to do it the same day, and you can go on the weekend.  The lab site that is inside Winchester Hospital is GREAT!  I love them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I just read your post about experienced surgeons --
    I have no idea about Dr. Guthrie's surgical expertise!  But, I find her to be very frank and clear.  I think she would respond well to direct questioning about this topic, and I think she would tell you if she thought Winchester could meet your needs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

I was also given a glowing recommendation from a friend for Dr. Guthrie, but I chose Dr. Fullerton's office b/c it is closer to my work, and all of the labs/imaging are in the same building. My OB is Dr. Bose (recommended by another friend), but I haven't seen her yet - just the NP. So far the staff has been great and I've had two appointments and been taken right on time both times.  It is easy to get to off 93 or 95.  I've heard so many good things about delivering at Winchester that I never considered any place else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

I think Dr. Fullerton moved to Jordan Hospital in Plymouth. She is actually the Dr. that checked me in at Winchester. I have Dr. Bose and to go to the office in Woburn which is super easy to get to from 93, and they have a lab right there. The NPs are awesome there. Sometimes with the Dr I would feel a little rushed, but I liked that she only gave me information simply and what I needed to know. Like she would say good heartbeat but never give me the # so I would obsess over it. I don't really love her assisstant. The only other downfall is that they constantly change your apt time. I don't know how often that happens at other practices (I understand you can't plan delivering babies) but it was hard to have a noon apt and not go in until 3:30. Trying to plan leaving work for the prenatals and then planning an apt with a newborn was tough. Dr. Bose delivered DD and I had a good experience. My nurse, Maureen, was absolutely awesome. The only downfall to the hospital was that there were so many babies born, they were doubling up the rooms. We got the last single and it was ridiculously tiny. They would have to put the tray table in the bathroom to wheel the baby cart around. Better that than a roommate though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

Poppy--I don't have any personal experience to share or info about Winchester Hospital, but I wanted to reinforce that I think your instincts are correct about surgical experience. 

(not about c-section specifically, but see for example: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa012337#t=articleBackground)

I think this is a question you can ask when you call the office before setting up the first appointment: how long as Dr. X been in practice?  I think I will likely need a c-section given my medical history; do you know how many c-sections Dr. X does per week (year)?  

Another option: depending on your history, maybe a high risk OB would be appropriate?  This person would also likely have a higher rate of c-section delivery and maybe more familiarity with your situation.  Even if you don't fall into one of the usual high risk boxes, it could be worth considering. 

Also, I think that the entire surgical team contributes to the success of a surgery, so it is worth thinkng about the volume of the hospital as a whole.  (This should increase the odds that the nursing, anesthesia, technical team that assists in the operating room is also very experienced.)

If you like and trust your PCP, then maybe he/she will have a recommendation?  It could be worth asking.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideinFall. Show BrideinFall's posts

Dr Glen Dixon is my ob/gyn and he is hands down one of the best! Totally honest with everything. As a first time parent I was so calm (hard to believe) because of his words of advice. He told me if there was EVER an issue with my pregnancy he would tell me what it is and explain it all, tell me the options for the issue and then tell me what HE would do if he was in our shoes. I have to say Dr. Gutherie is also a peach, she was my MD at one time but I had to switch due to insurance reasons but she discharged me from the hospital and took out my staples and as always was great and made sure I was comfortable with everything after spending a week in the hospital and answered all questions. Winchester is a great hospital!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: OB affiliated with Winchester Hospital:
    [QUOTE]That's 2 votes for Dr. Guthrie!   I'm sure you don't all go around asking your OB, "Are you an experienced surgeon?  How experienced?", but just thought I'd mention it.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    The healthcare system treats patients like customers.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with treating your doctor like a service provider.  If you hired a cleaning service for your house you'd look at referrals and record of the people being paid minimum wage to clean your toilets.  Of COURSE you should ask rigorous, specific questions and expect real, explicit answers (with documentable data) to support them to the person who will be cutting open your uterus and helping you safely deliver your healthy baby.

As a person who has been turned down by doctors because on paper I am too risky for their malpractice insurance, I can attest to the fact that doctors are humans who are mortal and subject to human flaws.  There is NOTHING wrong with demanding the best from a doctor.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son was born at Winchester hospital....11 years ago, but it was a great experience. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks, all.  Lissa, that is very helpful for me to hear, since I tend to be sort of the "I'm sure it will be fine" type.  I think I will ask any Dr's office I call, as well as ask about the surgical team at Winchester.  My OB had to rush a vascular surgeon in during my c-section (which I had no idea about since I was out of it, and my husband only realized at the end of my surgery when my OB thanked the guy for being able to come in).  I just want to make sure there are the same resources at Winchester. 

The more I think about it, the more nervous I am to switch.  But I just can't take 2 hours of sick/vacation time every time I have an appointment... so not sure what to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Lissa makes great points.  No need to be nervous... get really precise medical information, like "I have a double toe loop phalangie and need to have a hospital with the surgical resources to perform a bilateral compromising turducken if it is needed.  Do you have these resources?"
    I know Winchester has an affiliation with Children's and they have doctors on call from there, but no clue about the surgical/mom care.

I know how you feel, though -- I also tend to assume it will be fine and then wish I had asked more questions!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Medford, your post made me LOL.  I reeeeallly want to call and say "I need a bilateral compromising turducken."  Then just wait in silence and see what happens.

But you make a good point, and I am going to make my OB write down the precise name of the condition I had (I knew it once, but have since forgotten).  I did make my first appt with him, and will talk to him about this dilemma.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Poppy, I wish there was a "like" button.  So that I could indicate that I read your post and it made me happy!  But yet, I have nothing new to say.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

I've been seeing Dr. Bose in Woburn as well. I agree with Liv that it sometimes seems like she's rushing through appointments, but overall I've been happy with her practice. The nice thing is that they have a lab right there for blood work and ultrasounds, and I've liked the staff there. I'm a FTM, so I can't really comment on the delivery experience at Winchester yet, but we took a tour a week or two ago and it seems like it will be a nice place.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from siena09. Show siena09's posts

One more thing--for whatever it's worth, I was talking to my husband (who is a surgeon, not an OB) about this concern, because I was curious what he would say.  He said that the most likely reason to need a vascular surgeon during a c-section was that the OB hit an aorta and needed help closing it to control the bleeding.  While this is a mistake that any OB could make, for an OB with good surgical skills this should be a rare occurrence.  He thought the most important factor to patient's safety in the event of aorta damage was that the hospital have an experienced vascular surgeon available.  He also pointed out that given the fact that in most practices, you don't get to choose who is on-call when you need to deliver (unless you have a scheduled c-section, I suppose), you can't easily ensure that you get a very experienced or highly recommended OB doing the delivery.  However, you could ask about vascular surgery coverage, and use that information to help guide your choice of hospital.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks Siena.  During my c-section, both major arteries in my uterus ruptured.  This was because I had already spent 3 hours pushing, so DD was waaaaaay down there, and my OB said that having to really reach and manipulate to get her out can cause one or both arteries to tear.  My OB is a very experienced surgeon, and I trust that this wasn't due to an error on his part.  But who knows, really!

Thank you for posting your husband's thoughts - it is helpful to hear what a surgeon has to say!!  I will absolutely ask about the vascular surgeons at whatever hospital I end up at!