ob on s. shore or boston but delivery at NWH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMM1979. Show PMM1979's posts

ob on s. shore or boston but delivery at NWH?

Hi there!  I've been a long time lurker on the TTC boards, but I very recently found out I'm preganant.  So while I'm still wrapping my head around it I guess I need to find an OB/GYN :)  The thing is I'd like to deliver at NWH, however I live on south shore (but very close to Boston) so I am wondering if anyone has recommendations on an ob with an office either in Boston or Braintree/ Quincy area that also has priviledges at NWH?  I would consider a mid-wife too I think, although to be honest I really don't know much about mid-wives vs. ob/gyn's.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Re: ob on s. shore or boston but delivery at NWH?

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure a coworker had an OB out of Randolph who delivered at NWH.  I think you may have more luck looking along 128 - Canton/Randolph even Dedham/Needham if you are willing to go that far for someone who delivers at NWH than in the Quincy/So. Shore area.  My experience when looking is that a lot of Quincy OBs deliver in Boston and then most of the So Shore OBs are at So. Shore Hospital, with some at Brockton and Good Sam.  I'll see if I can hunt down who my coworker used.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Update: Coworker lives in Randolph but used the Norwood OB/GYN office of Harvard Vanguard/Dedham Medical Associates to deliver at NWH.  Not sure if that is close enough South for you, but its a start.  You might try the NWH website - most hospitals have a "find a physician" feature by town and specialty.  I will say if you are reconsidering the So. Shore for hospitals, I had a wonderful experience at So. Shore Hospital.  I used a traditional OB practice for delivery at SSH with DS (Atrius Womens Health) and am sticking with them this time b/c I love my docs there, but if you are looking for a midwife experience, I've heard fantastic things about South Shore Midwifery as well as about the midwifes at South Shore Womens Health.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

MM, I'm happy to know that had such a great experience at SSH...I'll be delivering there as well.  I may have questions for you later on!  :)

PMM, if you do end up deciding to deliver at SSH, let me know.  My OB practice has an office in Braintree and they are FANTASTIC.

Congratulations and welcome to the boards!  Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMM1979. Show PMM1979's posts

Thanks ladies for the input!  I have actually already been recommended to the Harvard Vanguard/ DMA by a nurse that I know from NWH, so I am def considering them.  I am just trying to decide on the best/ easiest to get to office considering where I live (just south of Boston) and where I work (Boston), but that will still allow me to deliver at NWH.  The reason I am somewhat stuck on NWH is that I have had several friends recently who have delivered there and had great experiences, I know a L&D nurse there, and (I hate that this is a factor) but its a much lower co-pay with my ins. than any other hospital that I would even consider.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

PMM, not to be nosey or ask too many personal details in this forum, but if you can give any more info about the neighborhood you work in and your preferred mode of transportation to/from work, etc., it might be a window into finding a few more convenient referral recommendations as I'm pretty certain it will be tough to find a practice in the Quincy So. Shore area that delivers at NWH.  Another thought, ask the L&D nurse you know which are her favorite practices to work with who deliver at NWH and see how close their offices might be.  A friend of mine delivering there is going to a practice that has like 4 or 5 satellite offices - you may end up hitting the jackpot and finding something that works.  A lot of times, their "main" office is the one they are listed under, but once you investigate, you may find out they have more locations that could be even more convenient.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

PS Pugs: Ask away about SSH!!  I'm excited to hear you are delivering there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMM1979. Show PMM1979's posts

MM, thanks.  I work in Boston, right off 93 and the pike and I would def be driving.  I live off 93 as well.  That's a good idea about the satellite offices, I will look into that.  I think that the 2 Dr's that she recommend before both appeared to only work out of Norwood and Dedham, which it is seeming like might be the best I can get.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I go to Harvard Vanguard in West Roxbury, and I know that several of the midwives who work there (and deliver at NWH) also see patients at the Kenmore office, which is right by Fenway, if that's easier for you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

PMM, if you have a job with a reasonable amount of sick time and flexibility, perhaps finding a practice in Newton right around the Pike/128 intersection would work.  You could hop on the Pike from work and go back to work for lunchtime appointments or you can swing there from work in the afternoon, checking out of work for the day mid-afternoon, maybe like 3pm appts, and swing back down South on 128 to go home after.  That's assuming that's possible with your work schedule.  If you are looking for evening/end of the day appointments though, traffic probably wouldn't be your friend with an office in that location.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

My girlfriend goes to Harvard Vanguard in Quincy Center and deliver at BWH - She loves her practice and had natural deliveries at BWH.  I'm pretty sure that she used a Midwife through the practice though.

I also delivered at SSH and it was really a wonderful experience.  The nurses were fabulous.

MM - I go to Atrius too - LOVE them!  Which doctor do you normally see?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

My OB delivers at SSH (I've yet to hear anything bad about them), but my PCP is at Harvard Vanguard.  I've always been happy with my care there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

KT I LOVE Atrius... they have been great!    In fact, since I also use a pediatrician at their affiliate at So. Shore Medical in Norwell, I also switched to a PCP there since I've had such great luck with the practice in general.  Dr. Kotch is my main OB and I love her - she's so down to earth.  I had really bad post-partum anxiety after DS and she got right on that.  This time I joked with her if she could start the Celexa in an IV right after delivery.  Dr. Chen actually did my emergency c-section with DS and she was so reassuring and fabulous.  She's who I saw this week.  With DS I pretty much rotated between the two of them and that is my plan this time.  I haven't yet met the newer doc in the group (Romagnoli?) but I've seen all the midwives and the other two docs at one point or another and they've all been great. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I'm so sad that Patty (my favorite nurse) has left - I also love Rhonda.  I rotate between Dr North, Dr Kotch and Dr Chen - I don't really like Dr Vanderlin.  I didn't know that there was a new doctor in the practice, do you know if its a man or woman?  Dr North did my c-section, she used a glue instead of staples, what did Dr Chen use on you? 

Also, this is so lame but I have to admit I am really really looking forward to the mini ice creams and Italian ice from the nourishment centers at the hospital!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

I had staples.  Didn't even know you could use the glue for a c-section - you are the first I've heard!  Any info on that and pros/cons?  I'll definitely ask about it since I'm sure the recovery is better.  I didn't have any huge issues with the staples, but i know some people find them painful, and feel immediate relief when they are removed and replaced with the steri-strips.  I know in general, the glue can be less painful and make for a more comfortable recovery when compared to stitches and staples in general for various cuts and incisions, so I'm curious about it for c-sections.  With the staples, you go back to the OB a few days after discharge to have them removed - do you go back at all with the glue to check the incision? 
    The new doc in the practice is a woman - I'll let you know if I see her at all.  I really liked Dr. North too - she helped me pick my pedi and said she uses SSMC for her kids, too.  She just doesn't seem to get offered to me that often - perhaps the days/times I am looking for are more compatable with Dr. Chen and Dr. Kotch?  I only saw Dr. Vanderlin once after falling and needing an urgent check.  He wasn't as down to earth.  My general impression is that maybe he's semi-retired?  I really don't hear about him much and I'm almost never offered appts with him.  This time, they let me book ahead my monthly appts as far ahead as they were booking in the computer, so I could keep lining up Chen and Kotch.  Last time I didn't think to go ahead past my next appt, so I was often just taking what I could get.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

PS - my husband completely was a glutton on the ice cream and Italian ice.  He kept offering it to our visitors too, as though he made it and it was our kitchen at home.  I was partial to the corn muffins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I'm wondering if Dr North is the only one who uses it.  Its nice in the way that my scar is very neat.  There was a tiny tiny portion that opened a bit and that was actually quite painful.  I think I was released on Saturday and had a follow up on Tuesday, so yes still had to go to the follow up appt.  I then went back in (for what I call the perfect storm) when the incision opened a bit, had a UTI, and had mastitis (yea that was a bad week).

I think Dr North is only in Weymouth 2 days a week - I saw Dr Chen a lot last time around.  Dr Vanderlin is odd to me, he does the HB check and then you have to go to his office and sometimes he puts his feet up while you talk to him - Odd.

I'll have to ask about scheduling ahead, that would be wonderful!  I'll also let you know if I see the new Dr.

Yum to corn muffins - I never got one though, the nurse brought me bran - bleh.

Also, I sort of feel like wearing a KT name tag to my appts now to see if I run into you..haha

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

KT, that's so funny!  Especially b/c i think are firsts our pretty close in age, too, and now these and its the same practice.  Lots of overlap!  Perhaps we'll meet at the SSH freezer digging out Hoodsie cups.

Sections
Shortcuts