October 2011 Pregnancy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Re: October 2011 Pregnancy

Congrats on your little girl, hughkona, and happy belated birthday (what a treat to find out on the big day)!

Congrats, Lissa! I agree that posting on here helped me while we were still keeping the pg a secret!

Framerican - Thanks for sharing your daycare info!

bostongrl, I hear you on the weight. I have been eating pretty well and not that much more than normal, but according to the doc's scale I'm up like 8 lbs since the last visit, and I think about 15 overall (at 20 weeks!). Doc told me to just keep an eye on it but she's not worried since I started out pretty average/thin. Still, I flip between being worried about too much weight gain and being p*ssed that to learn the whole "eat whatever/as much as you want" thing is not really true :-).

My problem is really that I need to get better about exercise. It's been hard b/c I was loving the Perfect Pregnancy Workout but a preexisting problem I have with my piriforma (sp?) muscle has flared and my chiro says that workout is making it worse. It's pretty much yoga and walking on non-sloped ground for me for the near future (though I may violate that a bit this weekend since pretty fall mountain hikes are calling my name). Ugh.

Big news last -- We had our anatomy scan yesterday. Baby was wiggling around the whole time, which was awesome to see, and mostly cooperated with the tech. We opened the envelope before dinner and we were right -- it's a BOY! DH was the one to open it and he got super-emotional. It was really sweet. He said that since he doesn't have the daily physical reminder of the pregnancy, moments like those hit him harder and really make it real. It was funny, even though by the time the day arrived I really had no gender preference, as soon as we opened that envelope it was like a boy was all I ever wanted. Yay!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Congrats Lisa on #2!

Congrats on your little boys Arcain and Hug!  Arcain I love the story about your DH getting choked up (let's be honest, I teared up reading that story).  How cute!

Thanks for all the morning sickness info from everyone.  I've been doing pretty well but I'm not a snacker by nature so I'm finding that I need to force myself to eat something.  I brought in some 100 calorie packs today so that might help.

Also, we had our ultrasound yesterday.  There was our little pebble with a heartbeat (147 bpm)!  DH and I were thrilled and relieved.  I'm measuring 6w 5d and due June 7th!  We told my parents last night and will be telling his parents this weekend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Lissa - Congratulations, so happy for you!

In the realms of useless information, I took lots of pictures of my belly when I was pregnant. Looking back on it, I wish I had taken pictures of my gigantic, swollen feet and ankles - partly to compare week to week, partly to laugh and roll my eyes!

If I have the chance to do it all again, I'm going to take pictures of my feet too, it's just a little more interesting and it will give everyone something to tease me about (other than the weight I gained in my face!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Hi all!  

Re: weight gain – That eating for 2 is definitely a myth.  My doctor told me as long as you already have healthy eating habits, you don’t have to eat more, at least not until the 3rd trimester where an extra 300 calories wouldn’t hurt.  I was told to gain 30lbs total and I was gaining slowly (2-3lbs/month) until I hit the 6 week mark.  I ate very healthy before and I basically eat the same, yet every week when I get on that scale it keeps going up.  Last week it went down from 4lbs in a week to 2lbs in a week, so maybe its slowing down.  I have another appointment today, so we’ll see.  It’s not the end of the world, but my poor ankles and feet are feeling the pain.

I’ve hit a wall with working out too.  I was good until about 2 weeks ago, and now I get really frustrated during workouts when I can no longer do something, or have trouble with a position.  Now I just try to do some stretching everyday if I don’t have the stamina for a workout.  But only 2 more weeks to go!   

congrats lissa!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jennifer, I've read that drinking with a straw helps quell the nausea of morning sickness because it reduces how much you can smell what you're drinking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Yea, lets talk about working out here. I am 20 weeks and up 12 lbs, but its all in my stomach, waist, and hips. Actually, its probably also half in my CHEST as I am spilling out of my newly fit 38dd bra.... ick ick!!  Working out is SUCH a struggle, it feels like my legs are made of concrete and my chest gets in the way if I do anything even slightly bouncy (like... walking down a flight of stairs!?)  I've gotten a good sports bra, or I just double up on bras.  But I just feel really full in the stomach area.  The uterus is up to belly button level this week, but my belly is actually rounded and tight all the way up to my CHEST!  My friends pointed out maybe thats all just "nutrients" ahahahahah.  But still....
    If you weren't in shape before pregnancy, I think it must be impossible to be in shape DURING pregnancy!?  I get winded walking up a flight of stairs or speed walking down a hallway at work.  I don't know how to fix this.  I try the ellyptical or going on walks, but if I miss a week it feels like I've been away from the gym for 2 months.... and I've inevitably gained another lb or two.  I gained 3lbs in the last month.
    Any advice?  How active are you/were you during pregnancy?  I dont want to just turn to mush- I am only 20 weeks... lots of time still to go! Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

hughkona - don't worry about it too much and just do what you can.  My cardio now consists of my walk to and from the T (just over a mile combined) and my workouts consist of light yoga and pilates. I workout maybe twice a week, 3 times if I am feeling really good (not these days).  I was also surprised how winded I get walking or going up and down stairs and there really isn't any way to fix it.  My doctor made me feel better -she said it was normal and even her patient who is a marathon runner has trouble with stairs now.

I agree, these new booobs really get in the way.  For the weight gain, 3lbs in a month isn't bad...a few weeks ago I gained 4 in a week and freaked.  That hasn't happened again, and I weighed in the same this week as last week, so it has definitely slowed down.  I am right at the overall weight gain that my doctor recommended (30lbs).  I can't even tell you where its all going...I've been wearing the same maternity pants since 5 months, and my butt hips and thighs still fit in them the same.  This belly is big though...fluid weights a lot, and I was told that I am carrying a lot of fluid. 

I am looking forward to once again being able to walk upstairs to my bedroom without needed to sit down when I get to the top of the stairs!  And not grunting every time I get up or down from the couch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

Sigh.  I just found out I’m GBS+ and I’m really upset.  I didn’t want to have any needles in

me or be hooked up to an IV.  Anyone have any advice that will make me feel better?  Did it take away from a natural experience, impede your mobility?  Did you even notice when you were in active labor?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thistleflower. Show thistleflower's posts

Leila, sorry about the GBS--that stinks.  I will say--my test came back negative, but when I had the swab, I talked to the midwife about it and my understanding was that they would just have to give me antibiotics through the IV port a couple of times--that is, even if the test came back positive, I wouldn't have to be on an IV the whole time.  That leaves the issue of having to have the IV port in my arm at all--I really don't want one, but my understanding as of now is that MGH is going to make me have one throughout my labor there despite my lack of GBS, dehydration, infection, etc.--so I don't think group B strep would impact it much for me, at least.  (It obviously might make more of a difference for you if you're at a more reasonable hospital!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

hugh, I had a friend who was an avid runner before pregnancy, and she ended up having to wear 3 extremely restrictive sports bras at once to keep it up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

I know from a NICU standpoint moms have to have been treated with IV antibiotics at least 4 hours before giving birth.  Otherwise they are at high risk for having their baby's worked up for a septic workup (meaning a CBC and blood culture upon birth and possibly 48 hours of amp/gent IV antibiotics for the baby).  That means if you have any other risk factors your baby will be worked up- its different in each hospital but can include things like maternal temperature, prolonged rupture of membranes, etc.  So make sure you don't stay at home too too long before coming in if you are GBS+.  A *lot* of moms are positive, its hardly even anything to blink an eye at from a healthcare standpoint.  Also I know at my hospital they give the mother antibiotics every few hours that she is in "active labor", so you can get quite a few doses, although 2 doses (several hours apart) is the standard.  You  should only need a saline-locked IV in your arm, not IV fluids running or anything that would impede you moving around during labor.  Hope that helps! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

That does help, thank you.  I haven't actually gotten to speak to my midwife yet, I only talked to the nurse on the phone yesterday.  Hopefully after I talk to her at my appointment next week I'll feel more comfortable about it (if I don't go into labor before then).

Thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011 Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]Sigh.   I just found out I’m GBS+ and I’m really upset.   I didn’t want to have any needles in me or be hooked up to an IV.   Anyone have any advice that will make me feel better?   Did it take away from a natural experience, impede your mobility?   Did you even notice when you were in active labor?
    Posted by Leila32[/QUOTE]

Leila, ask your Ob if there are any options prior to labor that might clear up the GBS, like a course of anitbiotics. I was GBS+ also, but my labor and delivery were crazy fast, by the time I got to my room I was pushing. I was petrified that the baby would need IV antibiotics and it would be all my fault. I'd rather me have an IV (and I've never had one in my life) than my newborn :(  So now I'm pregnant again and starting to research any ways to clear up GBS prior to birth, assuming this birth will be as quick as the last. A lot of the natural birth/homebirth/midwife websites have suggestions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Hugh... I'll second what the others have said... keep doing what you are comfortable with and accept that it is all part of the process that results in a wonderful LO.  Stairs have been the bain of my existance.  I've also heard that from many other moms.  I got in bed the other night huffing and puffing and DH was like "are you ok?" ... Yep.. one flight of stairs carrying 20 extra pounds and 2 feet sticking into my lungs makes it a little hard for me to catch my breath.  It makes me feel better to hear that my kickboxing instructor (who is 32 weeks pg) is also having issues with stairs. 

As for exercise... before I was pg I went to cardio kickboxing 3-4 days per week (in fairly good shape, but by no means superwoman).  That is now 2 days per week and 1 day of pre-natal yoga.  I am not able to do quite the level of a workout I was use to... but pretty close most days.  I do not have the bust issue (still an A cup) ... however I have been wearing a bellyband during the workouts to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of my belly bouncing up and down.  I notice a huge difference between what is comfortable and not when I forget the bellyband.  (they also sell support belts, I think Medala makes one).  I am tremendously lucky that my instructor is also pg and 3 weeks ahead of me... it helps me gauge what I should/could be able to do.  She lets me know when to modify exercises (mostly relevent during abs) and encourages me when I'm just tired but still able to do the exercise.  There is also a mental boost when she annouces that "the two pg ladies are doing this... so the rest of you should be able to as well". 

The prenatal yoga I started mostly to work on flexibility.  My muscles have always been extremel tight through my legs and hips ... and this is an area that it is useful to have some flexibility in during childbirth...so I thought it would be worth the effort to work on that (especially when my hormones are helping me on the flexibility front). 

As for after the baby .. my kickboxing instructor has already said I'm welcome to bring the baby to her morning classes (which are much smaller than the evening classes) ... so that is pretty much my plan now.  She has already been through this once before, so I plan on using her wisdom for getting back in shape.  I'm on track for gaining ~30lbs ... and supposedly the first 20 come off with almost no effort if you bf ... which only leaves 10 that I'll have to work for.  I tell myself that I've done that before and that I will be able to do it again.  Once I go back to work though... all bets are off.  We'll need to figure out how mommy's exercise/mental health needs fit in with our new family's needs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

In Response to Re: October 2011 Pregnancy:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: October 2011 Pregnancy : Leila, ask your Ob if there are any options prior to labor that might clear up the GBS, like a course of anitbiotics. I was GBS+ also, but my labor and delivery were crazy fast, by the time I got to my room I was pushing. I was petrified that the baby would need IV antibiotics and it would be all my fault. I'd rather me have an IV (and I've never had one in my life) than my newborn :(  So now I'm pregnant again and starting to research any ways to clear up GBS prior to birth, assuming this birth will be as quick as the last. A lot of the natural birth/homebirth/midwife websites have suggestions.
    Posted by BsBride[/QUOTE]

That was one of my concerns.  One of my sisters labor was so fast she had the baby in the car, and my other sister just barely made it to the hospital in time, so I was worried if my labor ends up being that fast as well.  I agree, I would rather have the IV than the baby.  I have been doing some reading, and some of the articles are saying you only have to do the antibiotics if you are GBS+ and have the risk factors (fever, at 37 weeks or earlier, longer than 12 hours since water has broken).  I will definitely talk to her about possible alternatives, and see if we can test again next week or the week after. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I was GBS+ with both of my pregnancies.  For my daughter, (#1) my contractions started out pretty regular and then they came pretty fast.  I got to the hospital around midnight and they got the IV in around 1:00.  She was born at 3:00.  They had to monitor her quite a bit afterwards because I didn't get a full dose of ABX in me.  

For DS, his birth turned into an induction so I had to wait at the hospital 4 hours getting the IV before they broke my water.  Once I had the first round in, I had a walking IV pole for the pitocin and a walking monitor, but they capped them off so I could use the shower and it didn't get in the way of the birth ball etc.  I only ended up with one full 4 hour dose with him because I had him 3 hours after they broke my water too.  

Don't despair, you won't even notice that you have the IV in anyway.  It actually was kind of nice to have it on a pole to walk around with at the hosptial when I was in labor.  Another thing to lean on!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Leila -- Sorry to hear about your GBS. I had to look up what it meant, though, so I can't offer any advice...

Totally unrelated and minor issue that I am compelled to post about b/c it's making me (literally) uncomfortable at this very moment. Are certain maternity pants designed for later pregnancy and some for earlier? It's casual Friday at work and I was so happy to wear the new jeans I inherited from my SIL. They fit wonderfully and even remind me of my pre-pg "good butt jeans." These just have the ~2 inch waistband, whereas my other maternity jeans have the stretchier band that goes from very low in the belly to below the bust. I feel great in these standing up, but when I sit down they squish my belly really uncomfortably and turn my cute bump into two ugly rolls. I guess I can make it til 5 (although this will feel just great after lunch, I'm sure), but I'm wondering if I should count these shorter waistband pants out for the rest of this pg? Oof.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Arcain - My day care provider mentioned this morning that she has an infant starting after the first of the year.  Sorry to tease you with the possibility of an opening :o(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

arcain- yep those short bands are really for early pregnancy, IMO.  the "secret belly" full panel (up to your chest) is great for when you really have the bump going. If you are too small those will fall down!  You can also fold that big band in half to make it a little tighter or wear a belly band OVER the full panel.  I already have to stop wearing that 2" band.  I actually dont' even buy pants with just that b/c they do not last the full pregnancy.  However, those are perfect for right after you have baby!!

leila- I am under the impression there is no way to avoid the abx given to YOU, but its not as common for baby's to need the abx- only if they are a "setup" (including prolonged rupture of membranes, prematurity, high temp, etc).  even if your baby needs abx, you should fight to have your baby kept in your room with you and have the NICU nurse administer the abx (one needs to be given every 24 hours twice, and the other needs to be given every 12 hours, 4 times.)  thats what we do at my hospital, but not all are as accomodating!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Arcain, at 28 weeks I still like the 2" band on my jeans... but sometimes I do get that uncomfortable feeling.  I thought it was actually worse in the beginning before my belly was very pronounced, as it just squeezed everything in and caused a "muffin top" around my mid-section.  Now, the band is pretty comfortable underneath my belly.  The full belly panel annoys me because the top of it hits at the same point as my bra band and by the end of the day I feel like I have an elephant on my chest.  For a while I was really liking the Old Navy woven waist because it was stretchy, went under my belly, but wasn't too tight (and didn't make me have to pee) ... but now they don't stay up as well as they did before.

I guess it is all personal opinion in the end.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Well I guess I should be posting here instead of my couple other posts on the TTC board.Total newbie here, first timer around 5-6 weeks :)

We are telling our parents tonight when they come for dinner at our home, I am so nervous and excited at the same time...I'm sure we'll need to break out the kleenex!

My new issue is food aversions...to all food. Just yesterday I started with some queasiness, and when I even think about eating I want to gag. Not a single thing appeals to me, and I had to force down a salad last night, after some saltines settled my stomach a bit. How weird it is to be starving but gag at the thought of eating :(

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pittftw. Show pittftw's posts

Welcome, summerbride! It's totally normal to be starving but gag at the thought of food. I felt that way for ages, but it will eventually pass. If it lasts past the first trimester, talk to your doc about anti-nausea medicines to make sure you eat enough to gain some weight.

So good to hear I'm not the only one winded after a flight of stairs! I'm mostly doing a lot of walking for my cadio now since my doc told me to take it easy, so I feared I was just getting too out of shape without my regular gym routine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I was GBS+ and really upset about it when I found out at 36 weeks pregnant (I cried) but honestly it's no big deal. I had an IV port in my arm and they hooked me up to it to administer the antibiotics but I was able to unhook from it to walk around, use the restroom etc. I honestly didn't notice it at all, and it didn't impact my delivery in the least. GL!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jennifyr78. Show jennifyr78's posts

Welcome Summerbride!

I don't know a lot about Group B Strep (I figured I would write it out for anyone who still didn't know what GBS was).  But, I do know that Mass General puts an IV in 98% of their patients as a standard procedure, even if they are not planning on any meds.  This makes it easier for them to add meds if they are needed later on, to give you saline/fluids, etc.  They take blood upon admission anyway, so it's only one stick and they just leave the tube in and tape it down in.  They might never use it, but it makes the process a lot smoother later on if they do need to.  Therefore, adding antibiotics for GBS shouldn't be that difficult or make it much of a different experience if you are delivering there.  Of course, other practices may be different. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc95. Show tc95's posts

Arcain, I could only wear those 2-inch bands when I first started showing- I found them very uncomfortable after awhile. Now (27 wks) I only go with the full panel but I always fold it in half. Very comfy but I do find that I frequently have to pull my pants up. Oh well- I'd rather deal with that and be comfy.

Does anyone know if GBS status can change?  I tested positive for it when I first saw the OB back around week 10 but they haven't tested for it again since. Not something I'm real worried about, just wondering if/when they'll test again. I have my gestational diabetes test tomorrow so fingers crossed that goes ok and I don't have to do the longer one. Anyone know if you get the results right away?